Created By: krakowitz
Published: Apr. 29, 2020 at 2:01 a.m.
Lottery Winners:
  1. Logo of the Los Angeles KingsLos Angeles Kings
  2. Logo of the Detroit Red WingsDetroit Red Wings
  3. Logo of the Ottawa SenatorsOttawa Senators
ROUND 1TEAMORIGINALPLAYERDETAILS
1Logo of the Los Angeles Kings-Duh
2Logo of the Detroit Red Wings-Top line center to build around with an incredibly high ceiling, will be nearly unstoppable when he uses his size to his advantage
3Logo of the Ottawa SenatorsLogo of the San Jose Sharks1C potential, great skater and playmaker in a similar mold to Mat Barzal
4Logo of the Ottawa Senators-Highest upside left on the board, a Tkachuk-Stutzle-Raymond line is sick
5Logo of the Anaheim Ducks-Potential top pairing guy for a team that really needs defensemen in their system
6Logo of the New Jersey Devils-Elite sniper to go along with their impressive centers, will make a living burying passes from Hughes
7Logo of the Buffalo Sabres-High ceiling as a dynamic offensive talent off the wing of either Eichel or Cozens, can really shoot it when set up in the zone
8Logo of the Montreal Canadiens-Best player available, almost a sure-fire top six center with 1C upside, makes for really nice depth with him, Kotkaniemi, Suzuki and Poehling
9Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks-Perfect partner for Boqvist, have a need for defense long term. Takes care of his own end first and has good offensive instincts
10Logo of the New Jersey DevilsLogo of the Arizona CoyotesGives them elite center depth with Hughes, Hischier and Lundell. Ideally a defenseman here, but none worthy of the pick
11Logo of the Minnesota Wild-Really nice projection as a top six forward that can consistency chip in 60 points and play a strong two way game as well
12Logo of the Vancouver Canucks-Perfect fit for what they've already built in their forward group, has a non-stop motor and a lot of skill
13Logo of the Nashville Predators-Goal scoring winger with a pretty safe projection as a top six, 55+ point guy consistently with the potential for more
14Logo of the Florida Panthers-A bit of a reach for a defenseman, but they need the type of stay at home guy that Schneider is
15Logo of the Calgary Flames-Slips because of some inconsistent showings and the fact that goalie prospects are so tough to judge, but Calgary gets their long term answer in net
16Logo of the New York Rangers-Polished two way counterman that has good offense to go with it. Will fit right in with Zibanejad and Chytil
17Logo of the Winnipeg Jets-Excellent skater and playmaker that works hard and will be a coaches dream, potential steal at this spot
18Logo of the Ottawa SenatorsLogo of the New York IslandersAfter getting two forwards earlier, they circle back to a defenseman. He's a big guy with a lot of untapped potential, making him a nice pick to a team with multiple firsts and a deep system
19Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets-Dynamic scoring winger falls into their laps here. He has an amazing offensive toolkit and is fairly polished for a young Russian winger
20Logo of the Carolina HurricanesLogo of the Toronto Maple LeafsWe could be looking at a Mike Hoffman type of player or the next Eeli Tolvanen situation. Given how deep Carolina's system is, this is a chance they don't mind taking whatsoever.
21Logo of the New York RangersLogo of the Carolina HurricanesHigh upside winger that does a lot right offensively. No slouch defensively either, but the play driving and scoring is the most appealing
22Logo of the Dallas Stars-Doesn't do anything flashy, but he gets to a lot of high danger areas and thinks the game very well. Will make for an excellent complementary top six winger
23Logo of the Edmonton Oilers-Skates well and has an incredible shot to go with it, could be the perfect running mate for McDavid. but can fit anywhere in their top nine and be a legitimate scoring threat
24Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights-Mobile RHD that defends well, makes a good first pass and transports the puck up the ice. I see him as a lock for top four duty
25Logo of the Minnesota WildLogo of the Pittsburgh PenguinsHe's been pretty under the radar, but I think he's worthy of this pick. He's steady, reliable and does a lot of the little things. A good bet to make the top four
26Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers-Another mobile defenseman that plays a pretty simple game but brings a high hockey IQ and instincts at both ends of the ice. I like him a lot for Philly, especially if Ghost could be moved soon
27Logo of the Washington Capitals-Similar to Reichel in the sense that he doesn't have a lot of high end skill, but has a nice skillet and a high hockey IQ that will make him a great complementary winger
28Logo of the San Jose SharksLogo of the Tampa Bay LightningA lot of untapped potential with this kid, has drawn some comparisons to Pastrnak (but I'm not completely sold on that yet). High skill, high IQ, and he's one of the youngest guys in the draft this year.
29Logo of the Colorado Avalanche-Very entertaining player that's very quick and has nice hands. He'll be a good fit for what Colorado has long term in their forward group
30Logo of the St. Louis Blues-A bit of a project defenseman, but he's a good skater that has a lot of offensive upside. Small size makes defending a challenge at times, but he could develop into a top four role
31Logo of the Anaheim DucksLogo of the Boston BruinsFantastic shot and is an excellent skater, but lack of effort is what prevents him from being higher in the first round. All the skills are there for him to be a dangerous middle six player once he puts it together
ROUND 2TEAMORIGINALPLAYERDETAILS
32Logo of the Detroit Red Wings-Very raw, project defenseman but has a large frame and moves pretty well. Makes some weird decisions at time and could stand to improve his offensive skillset, but there could be a nice player here with proper development in North America
33Logo of the Ottawa Senators-Incredibly skilled forward but is very small in stature. He works hard at both ends and should overcome his size and land in a middle six role with some power play time
34Logo of the San Jose Sharks-Excellent skater, but his size gets taken advantage of in his own zone. Great on the power play and is positionally very sound
35Logo of the Los Angeles Kings-Big, rangy defenseman that is excellent at reading the play. Had a blood clot this year that kept him out of the lineup, but has top four potential nonetheless
36Logo of the Anaheim Ducks-Another big, mobile defenseman, but he needs more skill to his game and to work on his hockey sense. Has nice potential but also bust potential. Also the Ducks have his brother, so it'd be a nice reunion
37Logo of the Nashville PredatorsLogo of the New Jersey Devils
Emil Heineman
Workhorse of a player that has some nice offensive tools as well. Has a nice projection as a middle six guy that will kill penalties and retrieve pucks
38Logo of the Buffalo Sabres-Very small but very skilled. His skill works very well on bigger ice, but still gets pushed around some. Probably has to have a Conor Garland type niche in the NHL
39Logo of the Montreal Canadiens-One of the most polarizing guys in the draft. Has an elite offensive skillset but plays like he's never seen his own side of the blue line. Awful defensive player but if he can become at least slightly below average, there could be a dangerous weapon on the blue line. That's a big if though
40Logo of the Montreal CanadiensLogo of the Chicago BlackhawksVersatile forward with a broad skillset. One of those plug and play guys that coaches love to have.
41Logo of the Arizona Coyotes-Draft Pick ForfeitedPlays a similar game to his brother, and he can absolutely fly. Has some nice skill and produced fairly well on a bad team. Seems like an Arizona kind of player
42Logo of the Minnesota Wild-Two way center that has shown flashes of high end skill, should make a living as a 3C in the NHL killing penalties and contributing to PP2
43Logo of the Los Angeles KingsLogo of the Vancouver CanucksBig, physical defenseman that has shown there's more offense to his game than at first glance. Will make a living clearing the crease
44Logo of the Nashville Predators-Another big skating defenseman that has some untapped offensive capabilities. Needs work rounding out his game in both ends but the potential is there
45Logo of the Florida Panthers-Smaller forward but has a nose for the net, high IQ player. Definitely needs more time to develop his skating, but there could be a nice bottom sixer here
46Logo of the Calgary Flames-Great offensive skills, but his size is what holds him back. Very similar player to Nybeck but has a better shot from farther out
47Logo of the Carolina HurricanesLogo of the New York RangersA steady defenseman that has a great first pass. Maybe not the highest ceiling, but has a relatively safe projection in my viewings
48Logo of the Winnipeg Jets-Two way forward that has good playmaking capabilities. Can easily carve out a role as a bottom six center with the upside for a lower end 2C
49Logo of the Ottawa SenatorsLogo of the New York IslandersIf he can stay healthy, there could be an incredible player here. But three concussions in nine months is scary, especially for a guy who frequently gets pushed around like he does. Worth the chance in round 2 to a team with a ton of picks
50Logo of the Ottawa SenatorsLogo of the Columbus Blue JacketsVery polished defenseman that does all the little things. Offensive game could always improve, but he can easily be a minute eating third pairing guy
51Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs-All around winger with a quick release and a nose for the net. Toronto will need guys like this to plug into the lineup on cheap deals as they're up against the cap
52Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes-Doesn't do anything very well, but does a lot of things well. Creates a lot chaos on the forecheck, makes a lot of sense for Carolina
53Logo of the Ottawa SenatorsLogo of the Dallas StarsSkilled forward that has some bite to his game. Should be able to make it in a fourth line role at worst
54Logo of the Detroit Red WingsLogo of the Edmonton OilersDetroit gets their own version of Zach Hyman, because Groshev does everything that Hyman does for the Leafs.
55Logo of the Los Angeles KingsLogo of the Vegas Golden KnightsAnother smaller player with a ton of skill and speed, but he has a chance to be a dynamic center in the NHL if he can work some kinks out and learn to overcome his size
56Logo of the Chicago BlackhawksLogo of the Pittsburgh PenguinsSkilled forward with a high hockey IQ, can make a living on the bottom six chipping in 35 points
57Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers-Not the biggest guy but plays a heavy game. Has fan favorite bottom six guy written all over him
58Logo of the Detroit Red WingsLogo of the Washington CapitalsSolid skater, decent defensively, really nice offensive instincts. If he can put the pieces together he can be a nice defenseman down the line
59Logo of the Tampa Bay Lightning-Playmaking center that thrives on the perimeter. If he can get to the middle of the ice more he becomes much more dangerous
60Logo of the San Jose SharksLogo of the Colorado AvalancheOne of my favorite prospects this year, he's a very sound goalie that doesn't get caught scrambling too often. Could be the long-term solution in net for the Sharks
61Logo of the Montreal CanadiensLogo of the St. Louis BluesComplete winger that does the little things and has a knack for making nice plays in the offensive zone. Nothing too flashy, but you know what you're getting
62Logo of the Boston Bruins-Big defenseman that will thrive killing penalties and making outlet passes
Apr. 29, 2020 at 2:55 a.m.
I like the sharks picks a lot. Commesso is my personal hope for our 60th pick. Think I go with Lapeirre or Nybeck at 34 though
krakowitz liked this.
Apr. 29, 2020 at 4:53 a.m.
I don't see Yzerman passing on Khusnutdinov with the similarities to Datsyuk. If he is there and the start of the second round.
Apr. 29, 2020 at 9:12 a.m.
exo2769
I really don't see CHI taking a defenseman with their pick this year. They already have (4) 20 and under - 1st/2nd rounders signed with a few more in the CHL/NCAA developing. That's also factoring in that they traded away Joki. They need scoring wingers in their system pretty bad though.
Apr. 29, 2020 at 9:40 a.m.
Evans truther
Can't see Montreal leaving Hendrix on the board if he fells to their back to back 2nd rounders.
Apr. 29, 2020 at 2:08 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018
Quoting: papishark
I like the sharks picks a lot. Commesso is my personal hope for our 60th pick. Think I go with Lapeirre or Nybeck at 34 though

The thought process was getting a defenseman that should at least be a player with a nice ceiling,. It's a thin system all around, so I personally don't think this year is the time to take risks on guys like Lapierre early on. I can see Nybeck being the pick, but I'd break very concerned about Lapierre's injuries. I think he goes to a team with a deep system and/or a lot of draft picks this year so it doesn't really hurt them if they swing and miss on Lapierre.
Apr. 29, 2020 at 2:11 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018
Quoting: exo2769
I really don't see CHI taking a defenseman with their pick this year. They already have (4) 20 and under - 1st/2nd rounders signed with a few more in the CHL/NCAA developing. That's also factoring in that they traded away Joki. They need scoring wingers in their system pretty bad though.

Understandable, but I still love the fit of Sanderson to potentially partner with Boqvist. Boqvist is the only defenseman in their system with top pairing upside, and I don't think there's a scoring winger that's worthy of being picked over Sanderson (I don't love Quinn that much).
exo2769 liked this.
Apr. 29, 2020 at 2:13 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018
Quoting: aedoran
I don't see Yzerman passing on Khusnutdinov with the similarities to Datsyuk. If he is there and the start of the second round.

I think those comparables are a bit farfetched tbh. Khusnutdinov has the upside of a potential top six forward, but Wallinder has top four defenseman potential as well. That's a great time to go after a defenseman like Wallinder if they're sold on Byfield-Larkin-Veleno (and maybe Rasmussen) at center.
Apr. 29, 2020 at 3:25 p.m.
Quoting: krakowitz
I think those comparables are a bit farfetched tbh. Khusnutdinov has the upside of a potential top six forward, but Wallinder has top four defenseman potential as well. That's a great time to go after a defenseman like Wallinder if they're sold on Byfield-Larkin-Veleno (and maybe Rasmussen) at center.

I didn't say he was the next Datsyuk I just said there are similarities. Now I'm not sure Rasmussen is coming back to the NHL any time soon Holland keeping him in Detroit last season was a very poor choice and now his confidence is shot. Plus I don't think he really he can play center in the NHL. With your description of Wallinder is accurate he does have much of an offensive up side. Detroit has Seider, Lindstrom, Dekeyser, Nemeth and Hronek and the only one with an offensive upside is Hronek. Like it or not to score goals consistently in the new NHL you need at least a couple of defensemen that can chip in offensively. I did leave out Cholowski and Bowey because I'm not sure they make it through the offseason with Detroit and they aren't very good defensively. There is also McIsaac but he hasn't been the same since his shoulder surgery I do think he will return to form but he won't be playing in the NHL anytime soon. I think taking another defenseman with no or very little offensive up side is a bad move. Detroit has 142 goals 35 behind the next closest team (LA) and 66 off the league average. I don't even know if Detroit takes Byfield at #2 just about everyone on CapFriendly think Yzerman is going to take Stutzle there are mock drafts and posts in ArmChair-GM that have Yzerman taking Stutzle with the 1st pick which absolutely absurd. I have no idea how it will play out but I think in this draft the really need to concentrate on scoring.
Apr. 29, 2020 at 4:06 p.m.
Quoting: ColonelX
Can't see Montreal leaving Hendrix on the board if he fells to their back to back 2nd rounders.

they are not going to take or should not take a chance on a player that has had 3 concussions in 9 months with their only first round pick no mater who he is.
Apr. 29, 2020 at 5:21 p.m.
Quoting: athrin
they are not going to take or should not take a chance on a player that has had 3 concussions in 9 months with their only first round pick no mater who he is.

Do you have trouble reading?
Also apparently it was only one concussion
Leemer liked this.
Apr. 29, 2020 at 6:37 p.m.
Fan of the OHL
Quoting: papishark

Quoting: krakowitz
The thought process was getting a defenseman that should at least be a player with a nice ceiling,. It's a thin system all around, so I personally don't think this year is the time to take risks on guys like Lapierre early on. I can see Nybeck being the pick, but I'd break very concerned about Lapierre's injuries. I think he goes to a team with a deep system and/or a lot of draft picks this year so it doesn't really hurt them if they swing and miss on Lapierre.

Nybeck is a 5 ft 6 inch forward ranked the 29th euro skater by nhl central scouting - there’s MANY players with size and skill ahead of him when you add in the NA skaters and their rankings - you really must know something more about him that a lot of scouts don’t see. In my book Nybeck is Around pick 45 plus
Apr. 29, 2020 at 6:39 p.m.
Fan of the OHL
Quoting: Howisbergevinstillhere

If Habs got Lapierre at pick 39 or 40 that’s a good gamble for the upside
Apr. 29, 2020 at 6:42 p.m.
Quoting: Leemer

And take foerster or reichel and torgersson at the end of round two.
Leemer liked this.
Apr. 29, 2020 at 6:47 p.m.
Evans truther
Quoting: athrin

Quoting: Howisbergevinstillhere

Quoting: Leemer

Correct, seems like the other injurie was vertebrae related that lingered for a while sadly.

In recent years Montreal has taken some high upside/low floor players with their second rounders (Romanov, Struble) so clearly taking Lapierre wouldn't come in as an outlier. If he's there at 39 you take him because it'll please the media/fans for taking a hometown boy and he's got great skills mixed with nice size.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll