Forums/Armchair-GM

My Top 10 GMs in the NHL

Created by: AndrewLadd
Team: 2019-20 Custom Team
Initial Creation Date: May 22, 2020
Published: May 22, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
If you have any different opinions or anyone you think I forgot let me know!
Honorable mentions are Jarmo, Dorian, Fletcher and Chevy

Sakic- he is the best GM in the NHL right now. He’s smart, has just the right amount of patience, drafts well and is a great contract negotiator.
Yzerman- even though his first year in Detroit was terrible, it wasn’t really his fault. He stole Fabbri and Seider looks like a great pick. This, with all of his success in Tampa, makes him the NHL’s 2nd best GM.
Sweeney- Sweeney might be the best contract negotiatior in the league. Almost every contract he has signed has benefited the Bruins (besides Backes) and has drafted pretty well (besides the 2015 draft lol.) He’s built the Bruins into a force to be reckoned with.
Armstrong- The O’Reilly trade was an absolute steal. He manages the cap quite well, which makes me think he can keep Petro. He recently won a cup, and that was thanks to the formerly mentioned O’Reilly trade and the underrated signing of David Perron.
Jim Rutherford- He’s the GM every person on capfriendly thinks they would be. Whenever there is a problem, he makes a trade right away to try to fix it. I respect his aggression, and it’s worked out for him. He has his faults, but so does every GM. Also, he hands out pretty decent contracts (besides JJ.)
Jeff Gorton- the stinky Rangers rebuild is going so well because of this guy. He’s recently drafted really well IMO, and he knows how to gain assets for a rebuild like no other. Also, bringing Panarin was great for the Rangers. The trade for Zibby was an absolute steal. Also, how about his interm GM run with the Bruins, where he drafted Kessel, Marchand, trades for Rask and signed Zdeno Chára in FA.
David Poile- he’s the longest tenured NHL GM for a reason. The only GM of the Predators has made trades well, hired some very solid coaches in his career and drafts dmen in later rounds like no other.
Don Waddell- Waddell reminds me of Jim Rutherford, except when there is a problem, no matter what the problem is, he acquires a dman. He has helped build one of the best blue lines in the league and has also helped build a very underrated prospect pool. The Nino Trade was a steal, and the Reimer trade is looking good too. Not to mention hiring Brind’Amour as coach was a great move.
Lou Lamiorello- he’s lost his touch, but what he did with the Devils was pretty amazing. His tenure as Leafs GM was great too, drafting Matthews, Marner, Nylander and Rielly. His isles tenure has been highlighted by the great signing of Lehner, hiring Trotz and trading for Pageau (which I think was a good move.) His ability to get top tier coaches working for him in not so great situations is very underrated too.
Brian MacLellan- he has built the caps very well. He made them cup contenders for years to come. The only problem with him is the contracts he has signed. I don’t like the Oshie and Backstrom contracts which lowers him a bit.
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
10$81,500,000$10,000,000$0$0$71,500,000
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Sakic, Joe
$1,000,000$1,000,000
Yzerman, Steve
$1,000,000$1,000,000
Sweeney, Don
$1,000,000$1,000,000
Armstrong, Doug
$1,000,000$1,000,000
Rutherford, Jim
$1,000,000$1,000,000
Gorton, Jeff
$1,000,000$1,000,000
Poile, David
$1,000,000$1,000,000
Waddell, Don
$1,000,000$1,000,000
Lamiorello, Lou
$1,000,000$1,000,000
MacLellan, Brian
$1,000,000$1,000,000
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 22, 2020 at 1:05 p.m.
Just curious on where you’d Jarmo, he seems to get a bad rap for the Anderson issues and for going all in. That being said he did get Columbus 1st playoff round win in franchise history and seems to have a decent draft record for players out of Europe in getting though his 1st rounds the first could drafts were meh, with Wennberg, Rychel, and Dano in 2013 and Milano in 2014. But after that the scouting department seems to have gotten better with secretions of Werenski and Carlsson in 2015, PLD in 2016, and Foudy in 2018 and our first selection in 2017 was Texier in the 2nd round. Plus other players like Bjorkstrand, Merzlinkis, Bremstrom, Gavrikov, and Nuttivaara all being drafted in the 3rd round or later is pretty good. I’m not sure he’s top 10, but I’d probably put him in the middle 10 somewhere.
May 22, 2020 at 1:12 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: AndrewLadd
Paul Fenton is the one who made it a mess. Things weren’t that bad w Fletcher as GM

Fletcher gave Kevin Hayes his deal in Philly. The more I look into Fletcher the more my stance on him not deserving this praise strengthens.
May 22, 2020 at 1:14 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Ajp_18
Just curious on where you’d Jarmo, he seems to get a bad rap for the Anderson issues and for going all in. That being said he did get Columbus 1st playoff round win in franchise history and seems to have a decent draft record for players out of Europe in getting though his 1st rounds the first could drafts were meh, with Wennberg, Rychel, and Dano in 2013 and Milano in 2014. But after that the scouting department seems to have gotten better with secretions of Werenski and Carlsson in 2015, PLD in 2016, and Foudy in 2018 and our first selection in 2017 was Texier in the 2nd round. Plus other players like Bjorkstrand, Merzlinkis, Bremstrom, Gavrikov, and Nuttivaara all being drafted in the 3rd round or later is pretty good. I’m not sure he’s top 10, but I’d probably put him in the middle 10 somewhere.

Personally I really like Jarmo. He isn't afraid to swing for the fences and has been very good at drafting. Its tough in a small market but he's been good. He's a GM that I think deserves praise. I think there are a lot of guys who get credit for other guys laying the groundwork and then taking over when a team is ready to succeed. Jarmo is the guy that lays the groundwork but gets less credit.
Ajp_18 liked this.
May 22, 2020 at 1:14 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Mitch1_6
Dubas?????

Jkjk I don’t like the guy as a GM, bet he’s a great guy tho. They Shoulda made someone else the GM

Shut your filthy mouth
May 22, 2020 at 1:17 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: habitantlecolon
What no Marc Bergevin in the top 10 ... geez you are hard on him !!

I have been very critical of MB but I think I have been too hard on him. I don't think he's very good but he certainly isn't that bad. I still don't like the Weber trade and it will look bad in the near future but he's made some good moves as well. Needs to do better at developing players though.
May 22, 2020 at 1:20 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Rooney
Hard to argue with the list, some things could be moved around but not bad. Happy Chevy at least got a little recognition! I would have him in my top 10 but maybe there is a biased there wink

I like him too but he has made some awfully bad signings as well. Little was a bad signing, as was Wheeler, you can't give a player term and a huge pay increase in their 30's it will not hold up. Still deserves to be recognized though.
May 22, 2020 at 1:24 p.m.
Quoting: PleaseBanMeForMyOwnGood
Shut your filthy mouth

Um, why? He should’ve let Willy walk, and signed Marner to 7x9
May 22, 2020 at 1:29 p.m.
Banned
Um, why? He should’ve let Willy walk, and signed Marner to 7x9

Marner is a 90-100 point player who hasn't yet hit his prime. Willy was on pace for 71 points and almost 40 goals. The notion that you shouldn't pay your stars is about the dumbest thing anyone can say. The Leafs have the most highend talent in the league, and Dubas has proven he can find the suplemental talent to fill out the roster. Most of their problems were solved when Babs was fired. Keefe showed improvement in every aspect of the game. Dubas is terrific, he inherited problems from mistakes made by Lou and had to deal with a coach that wanted his race horses to act like draft horses. Placing the blame on Dubas is entirely just following the pack of trolls who don't want to admit that this extremely young team has all the potential in the world to challenge for the throne. Those big money contracts are not at all a problem. Sure it would be nice if they were less but they aren't and it doesn't really matter. Dubas just keeps finding gems in the later rounds, signing good players from Europe and making smart trades to fill holes. He's been great.
May 22, 2020 at 1:30 p.m.
Bo Horvat enjoyer
Quoting: Ajp_18

Jarmo really could’ve been in the top 10, I highly debated putting him there. He is definitely a quality general manager, and the more I see the comments, he probably deserves to be here more than Lou
Ajp_18 liked this.
May 22, 2020 at 1:32 p.m.
Bo Horvat enjoyer
Fletcher gave Kevin Hayes his deal in Philly. The more I look into Fletcher the more my stance on him not deserving this praise strengthens.

Hayes was a good move IMO. He’s been great in Philly. He’s what that team needed, even if he isn’t putting up tremendous numbers. Is he a little overpaid, sure, but that’s the price you pay to acquire a guy in FA
May 22, 2020 at 1:35 p.m.
Marner is a 90-100 point player who hasn't yet hit his prime. Willy was on pace for 71 points and almost 40 goals. The notion that you shouldn't pay your stars is about the dumbest thing anyone can say. The Leafs have the most highend talent in the league, and Dubas has proven he can find the suplemental talent to fill out the roster. Most of their problems were solved when Babs was fired. Keefe showed improvement in every aspect of the game. Dubas is terrific, he inherited problems from mistakes made by Lou and had to deal with a coach that wanted his race horses to act like draft horses. Placing the blame on Dubas is entirely just following the pack of trolls who don't want to admit that this extremely young team has all the potential in the world to challenge for the throne. Those big money contracts are not at all a problem. Sure it would be nice if they were less but they aren't and it doesn't really matter. Dubas just keeps finding gems in the later rounds, signing good players from Europe and making smart trades to fill holes. He's been great.

Dude you have no clue how big of a Marner fan I am. I just don’t like how Dubas handled those long negotiations. While I give home credit for Muzzin, Campbell, Mikheyev, Barabanov, and Lehtonen, I don’t like how he handled the Nylander negotiations. But aside from that, he’s taken over alright
May 22, 2020 at 1:35 p.m.
Banned
Hayes was a good move IMO. He’s been great in Philly. He’s what that team needed, even if he isn’t putting up tremendous numbers. Is he a little overpaid, sure, but that’s the price you pay to acquire a guy in FA

I find it hilarious that Dubas gets ripped for Nylander's contract but no one says anything about Hayes. If Hayes is a good contract, Nylander is a fantastic one.
May 22, 2020 at 1:37 p.m.

And yes, I do believe this team has the BEST potential of any in the league.

Matthews, 50g
Marner 100pts
Nylander 40g
How awesome would this be! Can’t wait for these guys to hit their stride.
May 22, 2020 at 1:39 p.m.
Banned
Dude you have no clue how big of a Marner fan I am. I just don’t like how Dubas handled those long negotiations. While I give home credit for Muzzin, Campbell, Mikheyev, Barabanov, and Lehtonen, I don’t like how he handled the Nylander negotiations. But aside from that, he’s taken over alright

Nylander is the best contract on the team aside from Rielly. And again those deals are all fine, they are not problems. The Leafs have zero bad contracts. You just compare them to deals other guys signed that are either shorter term or in hindsight mistakes by the players. McKinnon, Pastrnak, Shiefele etc are all criminally underpaid. That doesn't make Marner, Matthews and Nylander overpaid, it makes those other guys underpaid. TO was in a different position than those teams. Dubas did what he could. The really important thing is he hasn't overpaid any of the lower guys. He's also only drafted terrifically well, he's won pretty much every trade he made.
MitchMarner_16 liked this.
May 22, 2020 at 1:39 p.m.
Bo Horvat enjoyer
I find it hilarious that Dubas gets ripped for Nylander's contract but no one says anything about Hayes. If Hayes is a good contract, Nylander is a fantastic one.

Nylander is kind of a steal tbh, I never hated the contract. I don’t get why people hate on his contract other than that he plays on the leafs
May 22, 2020 at 1:40 p.m.
Banned
And yes, I do believe this team has the BEST potential of any in the league.

Matthews, 50g
Marner 100pts
Nylander 40g
How awesome would this be! Can’t wait for these guys to hit their stride.

I think Matthews could score 60+ in a complete healthy season under Keefe. I think he was on nearly a 70 goal pace with Keefe behind the bench for a while there. Its just sick.
May 22, 2020 at 1:40 p.m.
Banned
Nylander is kind of a steal tbh, I never hated the contract. I don’t get why people hate on his contract other than that he plays on the leafs

Its due to the huge anti leaf bias that exists.
May 22, 2020 at 1:46 p.m.
Bo Horvat enjoyer
Its due to the huge anti leaf bias that exists.

I know, I’m not the biggest leaf supporter myself but none of Matthews, Nylander or Marner are bad contracts. The problem is together they take up a lot of the cap, but that shouldn’t take away from the fact the contracts are solid or in Nylander’s case, kind of a steal
May 22, 2020 at 1:50 p.m.
Banned
I know, I’m not the biggest leaf supporter myself but none of Matthews, Nylander or Marner are bad contracts. The problem is together they take up a lot of the cap, but that shouldn’t take away from the fact the contracts are solid or in Nylander’s case, kind of a steal

They are also commodities that are so hard to find. You look at teams that are up against the cap and most have secondary players making way too much. The number of middle 6 players making 5+ million is huge and none of them deserve that much.
May 22, 2020 at 1:55 p.m.
Nylander is the best contract on the team aside from Rielly. And again those deals are all fine, they are not problems. The Leafs have zero bad contracts. You just compare them to deals other guys signed that are either shorter term or in hindsight mistakes by the players. McKinnon, Pastrnak, Shiefele etc are all criminally underpaid. That doesn't make Marner, Matthews and Nylander overpaid, it makes those other guys underpaid. TO was in a different position than those teams. Dubas did what he could. The really important thing is he hasn't overpaid any of the lower guys. He's also only drafted terrifically well, he's won pretty much every trade he made.

Yes dubas has done terrific in every trade
May 22, 2020 at 11:05 p.m.
14m in dead cap
Suter is old, Dumba was a disaster last year and the team was just average this past season. Brodin is good but looks like he's going to be gone before too long. The team needs a rebuild but has a number of contracts that will need to be moved to start that. Suter and Parise are pretty much untradeable, unless you can get Lou to pull the trigger, he does like his old players. Fletcher set Fenton up to fail and he didn't do anything bold to fix it. Fenton reminds me of John Ferguson Jr, he was basically destined to fail, the team wasn't good enough and was aging but ownership demanded they need to fight for the playoffs. I am not saying Fenton was good at his job but he certainly shouldn't get all the blame for mistakes made by Fletcher.

Your post is pretty much a textbook strawman argument. I asked you to explain how their defense wasn't good anymore. You went on a rambling rant about Fenton and aging contracts. Good job, Skankhunt42.
May 22, 2020 at 11:20 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: JayTea
Your post is pretty much a textbook strawman argument. I asked you to explain how their defense wasn't good anymore. You went on a rambling rant about Fenton and aging contracts. Good job, Skankhunt42.

I love the reference. You are right their defence is still not bad, however, I think they aren't going to last. Brodin is really good, but Suter is getting old, Dumba really had a rough year. Spugeon is a good player but his contract is bad.
May 23, 2020 at 12:17 a.m.
Bo Horvat enjoyer
Quoting: JayTea

I need to know who Skankhunt42 is 😂
JayTea liked this.
May 23, 2020 at 9:13 a.m.
14m in dead cap
I need to know who Skankhunt42 is 😂

South Park reference to an episode where one of the dads was an internet troll.
May 23, 2020 at 10:47 a.m.
GM CRIME DAWG
Yes dubas has done terrific in every trade

Kadri?

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll