$9,000,000$9,000,000
    LW
    UFA - 4
    Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes
    $4,750,000$4,750,000
    C, RW
    UFA - 1
    $863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$537,500$538K)
    RW
    RFA - 1
    $2,000,000$2,000,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 3
    $6,000,000$6,000,000
    C, LW
    NMC
    UFA - 2
    $5,250,000$5,250,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
    LW, RW
    UFA - 2
    $809,166$809,166 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
    C
    UFA - 1
    $1,500,000$1,500,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 3
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $5,300,000$5,300,000
    LD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 4
    $8,000,000$8,000,000
    RD
    UFA - 7
    $7,000,000$7,000,000
    G
    UFA - 4
    $4,025,000$4,025,000
    RD
    UFA - 3
    $800,000$800,000
    G
    UFA - 2
    $809,166$809,166 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
    RD
    RFA - 1
    $1,500,000$1,500,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 1
    $800,000$800,000
    LD/RD
    RFA - 3

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Jun. 9, 2020 at 9:25 a.m.
    Quoting: littlejerryseinfeld
    the cap was 64.3 million. so look at percentage of cap.

Look at the contracts themselves. Look at the term, look at the clauses. LOL. Cap percentage only matters when talking about cap hit. You realise there's more than that to a contract?
    Jun. 9, 2020 at 9:27 a.m.
    Canes Baby
    Quoting: Caniac2000
    I'm in the real world mate. Look at the contracts handed out in 2013 if you want proof. You have in lalaland

lmao so everyone disagreeing with you doesnt tell you anything??
    Jun. 9, 2020 at 9:27 a.m.
    Look at the contracts themselves. Look at the term, look at the clauses. LOL. Cap percentage only matters when talking about cap hit. You realise there's more than that to a contract?

agents when looking at comparables look at cap percentage buddy. thats why guys get paid more than sidney crosby.

You are asking me to find comparables from 7 years ago (LOL) and then say well don't compare just look at numbers and yet dont provide any examples.
    Jun. 9, 2020 at 9:29 a.m.
    Quoting: jslongo
    lmao so everyone disagreeing with you doesnt tell you anything??

No, just you disagreeing with me. Sabres fans have no real ground to stand on, it's been more than a decade since they were last good. Look at some of the other comments dude.
    Jun. 9, 2020 at 9:29 a.m.
    hey look a squirrel
    Jets say no to that trade, they will have to pay their own guys and Brady is not worth it.
    Jun. 9, 2020 at 9:30 a.m.
    agents when looking at comparables look at cap percentage buddy. thats why guys get paid more than sidney crosby.

You are asking me to find comparables from 7 years ago (LOL) and then say well don't compare just look at numbers and yet dont provide any examples.

It's 7 years ago, you want me to remember every contract that was signed from a decade ago? I know I'm good, but c'mon. Go look through the signings, they all have a theme. Smaller cap his and shorter term with fewer clauses (that may just be due to the stingyness of managers at the time). When looking at comparables, you look at cap percentage **For the TERM** it's why you cannot compare MacKinnon's deal to Matthews etc etc
    Jun. 9, 2020 at 9:31 a.m.
    Quoting: Trickster
    Jets say no to that trade, they will have to pay their own guys and Brady is not worth it.

Winnipeg would rather have 5 pylons and Morrisey? Bold tactic, someone will take Skjei for a 2nd and 3rd, if not WPG, Vancouver will. Or Montreal or whoever.
    Jun. 9, 2020 at 9:35 a.m.
    hey look a squirrel
    Winnipeg would rather have 5 pylons and Morrisey? Bold tactic, someone will take Skjei for a 2nd and 3rd, if not WPG, Vancouver will. Or Montreal or whoever.

Vancouver has to pay Hughes and Petterrsson, gotta be a no there too.
    Montreal, dont have a good outlook on the team so no idea.

Jets D has overachieved, they have young players that are growing and will continue to.
    Jun. 9, 2020 at 9:38 a.m.
    Quoting: Trickster
    Vancouver has to pay Hughes and Petterrsson, gotta be a no there too.
    Montreal, dont have a good outlook on the team so no idea.

Jets D has overachieved, they have young players that are growing and will continue to.

It overachieved and was still as bad as it was is exactly why it needs another D man. That being said, I just used Winnipeg as an example of someone that has a need for Brady skjei
    Jun. 9, 2020 at 9:48 a.m.
    It's 7 years ago, you want me to remember every contract that was signed from a decade ago? I know I'm good, but c'mon. Go look through the signings, they all have a theme. Smaller cap his and shorter term with fewer clauses (that may just be due to the stingyness of managers at the time). When looking at comparables, you look at cap percentage **For the TERM** it's why you cannot compare MacKinnon's deal to Matthews etc etc

you made the claim, back it up.
    Jun. 9, 2020 at 9:50 a.m.
    you made the claim, back it up.

You're literally on the perfect website to prove it, look for yourseld xD
    Jun. 9, 2020 at 9:56 a.m.
    Terry_AkiSauce
    Not sure how you have Dougie making $8M, you're always saying hes worth more than pretty much every forward yet doesn't even get the largest contract on the team? You have him signing for less than 60 point Taylor Hall a year later. This guy isn't asking for OEL money, he's asking for Doughty and EK money. You say that hes the best defenseman, back up your claim and pay him like one. Svech probably gets paid more since he'll most likely snap this season but hard to say so won't nitpick too much. Gonna need to pay Seattle to take Gardiner, not a whole lot but a pick or B prospect. A lot of these issues would be avoided if you just don't sign Hall since he's not worth the money.
    Jun. 9, 2020 at 10:03 a.m.
    You're literally on the perfect website to prove it, look for yourseld xD

you are a piece of work. You make a claim, provide no examples, refuse to back it up and then tell me to look it up. are you 12?

every single person in this thread thinks it is unreasonable and yet here we are almost on page 3.
    Jun. 9, 2020 at 10:03 a.m.
    Quoting: Terry_AkiSauce
    Not sure how you have Dougie making $8M, you're always saying hes worth more than pretty much every forward yet doesn't even get the largest contract on the team? You have him signing for less than 60 point Taylor Hall a year later. This guy isn't asking for OEL money, he's asking for Doughty and EK money. You say that hes the best defenseman, back up your claim and pay him like one. Svech probably gets paid more since he'll most likely snap this season but hard to say so won't nitpick too much. Gonna need to pay Seattle to take Gardiner, not a whole lot but a pick or B prospect. A lot of these issues would be avoided if you just don't sign Hall since he's not worth the money.

he flat out said he wouldnt trade hamilton for eichel and now things hes worth no more than jacob trouba
    Jun. 9, 2020 at 10:17 a.m.

He is, and before he broke his Fibula I was an advocate of paying him whatever he demanded, oh and that was with a large expected cap increase. Now with a serious injury past and a flat cap, he's not gonna have the same arguments he would have had. EK and DD are both drastically overpaid too. A fairer comparable is Josi. This is because he is currently worth his deal. I wouldn't trade him without a star forward coming back, but right now, he's a D man coming off an EXTREMELY serious injury with a flat cap.

Svechnikov I'm again paying off of one year. It's likely going to be a bridge deal of 2 years, or long term. I don't think that with this the cap space is there to pay him long term, so a 2 year bridge is the only option unless he decides to take his QO and bank on himself again for a 3rd phenomenal year. Plus after the expansion draft, Carolina are likely to have more cap due to the Seattle money hitting the teams, and the expansion draft itself.

I also doubt it takes anything to get Seattle to take Gardiner. You just be a smart ass, protect Bean, Slavin and Pesce, agree a deal in principle with Hamilton that sees him either come back in free agency, or straight up say he's not going to sign with Seattle to discourage them taking him. That exposes Gardiner and Fleury, and I don't think it's a tall ask from there. Gardiner isn't a cap dump. He's an incredibly talented D man and after the first month, he did have a really good season. People look at his -24 or whatever and go "oH hE's BaD" but it's just not true. He did suffer a lot from a lack of depth scoring, otherwise, he would have had the best season offensively of his career.
    Jun. 9, 2020 at 10:18 a.m.
    he flat out said he wouldnt trade hamilton for eichel and now things hes worth no more than jacob trouba

Hamilton isn't gonna get paid like that during A) Flat cap B) coming off a broken Fibula
    Jun. 9, 2020 at 10:29 a.m.
    Terry_AkiSauce
    He is, and before he broke his Fibula I was an advocate of paying him whatever he demanded, oh and that was with a large expected cap increase. Now with a serious injury past and a flat cap, he's not gonna have the same arguments he would have had. EK and DD are both drastically overpaid too. A fairer comparable is Josi. This is because he is currently worth his deal. I wouldn't trade him without a star forward coming back, but right now, he's a D man coming off an EXTREMELY serious injury with a flat cap.

Svechnikov I'm again paying off of one year. It's likely going to be a bridge deal of 2 years, or long term. I don't think that with this the cap space is there to pay him long term, so a 2 year bridge is the only option unless he decides to take his QO and bank on himself again for a 3rd phenomenal year. Plus after the expansion draft, Carolina are likely to have more cap due to the Seattle money hitting the teams, and the expansion draft itself.

I also doubt it takes anything to get Seattle to take Gardiner. You just be a smart ass, protect Bean, Slavin and Pesce, agree a deal in principle with Hamilton that sees him either come back in free agency, or straight up say he's not going to sign with Seattle to discourage them taking him. That exposes Gardiner and Fleury, and I don't think it's a tall ask from there. Gardiner isn't a cap dump. He's an incredibly talented D man and after the first month, he did have a really good season. People look at his -24 or whatever and go "oH hE's BaD" but it's just not true. He did suffer a lot from a lack of depth scoring, otherwise, he would have had the best season offensively of his career.

First, Hamilton won't be coming off an injury, he'll be a season removed and most likely put up another great and hopefully full campaign. You keep mentioning the flat cap but I don't think you understand what that means as far as contract salaries. As we typically use cap percentages, every new top player that signs beats the last comparable. While the cap hasn't gone up, its still the same (actually slightly higher) than when Doughty and EK signed. You can say they aren't worth the money but thats even more to the point that Hamilton will get it. Finally, an elite player isn't going to take a $2-3M paycut because the cap didn't go up $1.5M. I know it was projected to be higher but we saw smaller increases in recent years.

Again, hard to say for Svech, guy could go score 50 or 25 so won't argue too much.

While I don't think Gardiner is horrible, Seattle knows that Carolina would want them to take him rather than Bean and would leverage it into a deal to take him. Even if they prefer Gardiner from the start, they'd get some sort of asset out of it
    KINGS67 liked this.
    Jun. 9, 2020 at 10:37 a.m.
    I highly doubt Hamilton will get a contract similar to Josi's with his 11.12% cap hit. Someone who I can see being compared on an open market would be Jacob Trouba (9.82%), Jared Spurgeon (9.29%), or Oliver Ekman-Larsson (10.38%). Players like Drew Doughty, Roman Josi, Erik Karlsson seem a little bit too pricey for Hamilton, unless he has a career year next year heading into FA.

It's hard to predict how much the cap will increase for the 2021-22 year, but assuming the cap is between 81.5M and 84M, I can see Hamilton getting between $7,571,350 and $8,719,200. These deals would also include a complete NMC (similar to Spurgeon and OEL). Obviously the cap not going up for the 2020-21 season will hurt, but it depends on how much it increases for 2021-22. The cap usually increases in 3% increments, but the addition of Seattle could push it even further (and if ESPN gets the NHL contract).

Not unreasonable to see Hamilton getting more than 9M, especially since he will be far and wide the best RHD available. Teams will have to pay for that scarcity.
    Jun. 9, 2020 at 10:42 a.m.
    First, Hamilton won't be coming off an injury, he'll be a season removed and most likely put up another great and hopefully full campaign. You keep mentioning the flat cap but I don't think you understand what that means as far as contract salaries. As we typically use cap percentages, every new top player that signs beats the last comparable. While the cap hasn't gone up, its still the same (actually slightly higher) than when Doughty and EK signed. You can say they aren't worth the money but thats even more to the point that Hamilton will get it. Finally, an elite player isn't going to take a $2-3M paycut because the cap didn't go up $1.5M. I know it was projected to be higher but we saw smaller increases in recent years.

Again, hard to say for Svech, guy could go score 50 or 25 so won't argue too much.

While I don't think Gardiner is horrible, Seattle knows that Carolina would want them to take him rather than Bean and would leverage it into a deal to take him. Even if they prefer Gardiner from the start, they'd get some sort of asset out of it

I was assuming Carolina was going to sign him this offseason to an extension if they're going to extend him before the draft. That way they have the leverage they need to push Dougie's cap down. Hamilton will in this case, be coming off a serious injury. This also is affected by the flat cap. You can argue the cap percentage yadda yadda. Doughty never deserved what he got. Karlsson was the best defender in the NHL on one leg when he signed his deal. Dougie is dominant as all hell, but that kind of price is just not justifiable from Dougie's camp. You also have the argument that he's only this good because Slavin takes the defensive load off him. If you forced Dougie to play defence with someone like Gardiner, you'd quickly see Dougie lose leverage. On top of that you mention that Dougie will use the point DD and EK aren't worth their deals to justify his own, yet you can provide the same argument saying Hamilton isn't as good as those two where when they signed their extensions. Dougie isn't looking at a 2-3 mil pay cut because he's not getting 7 digits. He's not worth 7 digits. A much more realistic comparable that was signed under this cap was Josi, which is why I bring him up. You can talk about cap percentage, but with Josi it's a straight comparable.

Svech is going to either make or break his bank next year. I'm not psychic so idk which.

If they don't want Gardiner then you trade him after the draft. Even if they take Bean, Carolina calls up Kaski or signs Fensore or Honka, and it's sorted. The point was moving Gardiner whether that's int he expansion draft or in a deal for assets, is likely to happen then.
    Jun. 9, 2020 at 10:50 a.m.
    Terry_AkiSauce
    I was assuming Carolina was going to sign him this offseason to an extension if they're going to extend him before the draft. That way they have the leverage they need to push Dougie's cap down. Hamilton will in this case, be coming off a serious injury. This also is affected by the flat cap. You can argue the cap percentage yadda yadda. Doughty never deserved what he got. Karlsson was the best defender in the NHL on one leg when he signed his deal. Dougie is dominant as all hell, but that kind of price is just not justifiable from Dougie's camp. You also have the argument that he's only this good because Slavin takes the defensive load off him. If you forced Dougie to play defence with someone like Gardiner, you'd quickly see Dougie lose leverage. On top of that you mention that Dougie will use the point DD and EK aren't worth their deals to justify his own, yet you can provide the same argument saying Hamilton isn't as good as those two where when they signed their extensions. Dougie isn't looking at a 2-3 mil pay cut because he's not getting 7 digits. He's not worth 7 digits. A much more realistic comparable that was signed under this cap was Josi, which is why I bring him up. You can talk about cap percentage, but with Josi it's a straight comparable.

Svech is going to either make or break his bank next year. I'm not psychic so idk which.

If they don't want Gardiner then you trade him after the draft. Even if they take Bean, Carolina calls up Kaski or signs Fensore or Honka, and it's sorted. The point was moving Gardiner whether that's int he expansion draft or in a deal for assets, is likely to happen then.

Last thing I'll say on Dougie since you've been arguing for an hour is hes not gonna sign this offseason if they're going to be paying him less cause hes coming off an injury. Minimum he signs for is $9M and I would be absolutely shocked if he gets less if not more. Back to you saying hes more valuable 1 for 1 than Matthews and Eichel, both earn $10M+ and the league is going towards larger contracts at a younger age. I really can't see him taking $8M
    Jun. 9, 2020 at 11:18 p.m.
    Gardiner is one of the few NHL proven OFD that will be exposed. Gardiner is a top 4 calibre D man, not a lot of those are going to be exposed. Bean is a prospect, do you want a mystery box or a known commodity when building a new team?

Don't forget that Seattle's GM is Ron Francis, who happens to be the same person who drafted Bean. He's taking Bean over Gards any day.
    Jun. 10, 2020 at 6:12 a.m.
    Quoting: canesfan3030
    Don't forget that Seattle's GM is Ron Francis, who happens to be the same person who drafted Bean. He's taking Bean over Gards any day.

He drafted Bean, as well as 60% of the roster. There's not enough NHL proven OFD that are going to be exposed to justify taking Bean over Gardiner

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll