Trades
CGY
  1. Smith, Ty
  2. Zacha, Pavel
  3. 2020 1st round pick (NJD)
NJD
  1. Gaudreau, Johnny
Additional Details:
Johnny re-ups with Jersey long term (Family lives here, offseason home on the shore)
CGY
  1. Anderson, Josh [RFA Rights]
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
21$81,500,000$73,140,399$0$857,500$8,359,601
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Calgary Flames
$7,000,000$7,000,000
RW
UFA - 2
$6,375,000$6,375,000
C, LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$4,850,000$4,850,000
C, RW
UFA - 4
$8,500,000$8,500,000
LW
UFA - 1
$5,350,000$5,350,000
C
NTC
UFA - 4
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 7
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
Logo of the New Jersey Devils
$2,250,000$2,250,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
$2,550,000$2,550,000
C
UFA - 1
$5,250,000$5,250,000
LW, RW
NMC
UFA - 3
$3,125,000$3,125,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$778,333$778,333 (Performance Bonus$32,500$32K)
LW, RW, C
RFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$3,375,000$3,375,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,550,000$4,550,000
RD
UFA - 6
$1,375,000$1,375,000
G
UFA - 1
$1,237,500$1,237,500
LD
UFA - 4
$4,650,400$4,650,400
LD/RD
UFA - 4
$894,166$894,166 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
LD
RFA - 1
Logo of the New Jersey Devils
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
LD/RD
RFA - 3
$1,750,000$1,750,000
G
UFA - 3
$1,250,000$1,250,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jul. 9, 2020 at 10:02 a.m.
NJ hangs up. Not close. I wouldn’t give up 7oa for Johnny straight up. And you added one of the best defensive prospects in the league and one of the more underrated centers. Lmao
zyyyp liked this.
Jul. 9, 2020 at 10:06 a.m.
Yeah Baby
Quoting: SlevinKalevra
NJ hangs up. Not close. I wouldn’t give up 7oa for Johnny straight up. And you added one of the best defensive prospects in the league and one of the more underrated centers. Lmao

Another draft pick over rater. That pick has like a less than 5% chance to end up as good as Johnny is.

No GM would in the league would say a 7th overall draft pick has more value than a perennial all star forward still in his prime.
Kresco liked this.
Jul. 9, 2020 at 10:09 a.m.
Yeah Baby

Quoting: bax
Between 2016 and 2019 Gaudreau placed 5th in the league amongst forwards in 5 on 5 scoring rate (2.58/60). The top 10 is:

Mcdavid
Kucherov
Marchand
Matthews
Gaudreau
Malkin
Kane
Crosby
Panarin
Guentzal

During the same time period only one player in the entire league was in on a higher percentage of his teams on ice 5 on 5 points and that was Mcdavid.

..and you think a 7th overall magic bean has more value than that? Don't answer, it's rhetorical.
Kresco liked this.
Jul. 9, 2020 at 10:10 a.m.
Quoting: BurnEmUp
Another draft pick over rater. That pick has like a less than 5% chance to end up as good as Johnny is.

No GM would in the league would say a 7th overall draft pick has more value than a perennial all star forward still in his prime.

Your perennial all star didn’t even hit 20 goals this year and only has three years on his deal before he can go anywhere he wants. But that’s kewl, NJ can bet on him wanting to stay cause he’s got a house there 👍
Jul. 9, 2020 at 10:13 a.m.
look good play good
You couldn't be more wrong unfortunately.

Ty Smith is NOT one of the best defensive prospects in the league.
He's one of the better undersized offensive prospects in the league maybe, but hes not one of the best D prospects.

Zacha is no where near underrated, in fact he's exactly what he is which is a big body 3rd line center.
4th year in the league with an avg of 27 pts in 82 games... there's lots of these types of players.

Gaudreau is a proven elite scoring winger, with the ability to slot onto the left side of either Hughes or Hischier's lines.
You're on crack if you think that Johnny couldn't even go for the 7th O/A draft pick sadly.

Between 2016 and 2019 Gaudreau placed 5th in the league amongst forwards in 5 on 5 scoring rate (2.58/60). The top 10 is:

Mcdavid
Kucherov
Marchand
Matthews
Gaudreau
Malkin
Kane
Crosby
Panarin
Guentzal

During the same time period only one player in the entire league was in on a higher percentage of his teams on ice 5 on 5 points and that was Mcdavid.
You don't find these players (especially ones with 2 years left at a cap hit of 6.75) going for anything less, and honestly this is a bit less than I think CGY should get but it's realisitic.
BurnEmUp and Kresco liked this.
Jul. 9, 2020 at 10:14 a.m.
look good play good
Your perennial all star didn’t even hit 20 goals this year and only has three years on his deal before he can go anywhere he wants. But that’s kewl, NJ can bet on him wanting to stay cause he’s got a house there 👍

I guess your ignorance ignored the fact that the trade involves Johnny re-signing with Jersey then Eh?
Kresco liked this.
Jul. 9, 2020 at 10:15 a.m.
Yeah Baby

Everybody has a down year, despite his he's still the 4th highest scoring LW in the NHL over the last 5 seasons. He's worth way more than just a 7th overall pick.
Kresco liked this.
Jul. 9, 2020 at 10:15 a.m.
Devils pass, no interest in giving up 2 massive future pieces for Johnny.
DevilsFanInTX liked this.
Jul. 9, 2020 at 10:16 a.m.
Quoting: royle9
I guess your ignorance ignored the fact that the trade involves Johnny re-signing with Jersey then Eh?

Uhhh... He isn’t allowed to sign an extension yet
Jul. 9, 2020 at 10:17 a.m.
Yeah Baby
You couldn't be more wrong unfortunately.

Ty Smith is NOT one of the best defensive prospects in the league.
He's one of the better undersized offensive prospects in the league maybe, but hes not one of the best D prospects.

Zacha is no where near underrated, in fact he's exactly what he is which is a big body 3rd line center.
4th year in the league with an avg of 27 pts in 82 games... there's lots of these types of players.

Gaudreau is a proven elite scoring winger, with the ability to slot onto the left side of either Hughes or Hischier's lines.
You're on crack if you think that Johnny couldn't even go for the 7th O/A draft pick sadly.

Mcdavid
Kucherov
Marchand
Matthews
Gaudreau
Malkin
Kane
Crosby
Panarin
Guentzal

You don't find these players (especially ones with 2 years left at a cap hit of 6.75) going for anything less, and honestly this is a bit less than I think CGY should get but it's realisitic.

LOL I already posted that quote I saw the other day, that's awesome.

It should get posted non stop around here, and be required reading for the uneducated who believe a magic bean holds more value than an actual all star NHLer.
royle9 liked this.
Jul. 9, 2020 at 10:18 a.m.
look good play good
Edited Jul. 9, 2020 at 11:28 a.m.

LOL he had 18 goals with 12 games left to play + playoffs?
What did Hughes have? He must be worthless to then? Johnny for Hughes straight up? LOL

Jesus christ you're grasping a straws, how many all star left wingers does Jersey have? Oh right, one which they flipped to Arizona for MORE of a package than you think Johnny is worth and Hall was a UFA with exactly 0 years left on his deal?
Big time draft pick overater alert.
BlastyRocks and Kresco liked this.
Jul. 9, 2020 at 11:04 a.m.
LOL he had 18 goals with 12 games left to play + playoffs?
Jesus christ you're grasping a straws, how many all star left wingers does Jersey have? Oh right, one which they flipped to Arizona for MORE of a package than you think Johnny is worth and Hall was a UFA with exactly 0 years left on his deal?
Big time draft pick overater alert.

I apologize for my initial comment being kinda rude. Was a reaction and I didn’t intend it that way. I don’t consider the Hall package to be as good as this one. I think whoever signs Hall to his next deal is getting Jamie Benn 2.0, but that’s not really what we’re talking about here. I think Zona is wondering if they should have kept those pieces. I think context matters. Looking at this draft year I think there is going to be a very good player there at 7. Call me an overrater that’s fine. Y’all aren’t wrong about percentages etc. I would be more willing to move 10 if I’m NJ cause I think there’s a drop off in talent around 8/9. Back on subject tho, if the Devils were ready to compete and Johnny put them in the serious contender conversation I could see this. But their D group is underwhelming and you put their best defensive prospect in the trade. Which is prolly a no go for NJ and you guys are already pretty stacked on the left (depending on what happens with the expansion). Johnny is a very good player I’m not arguing that. He’s always seemed very one dimensional to me tho. And every team needs scoring forwards, but when he goes from 1.2 ppg to 0.8 ppg that isn’t a huge deal, but it’s a noticeable dip. You’re also sending him to a tighter system in NJ which might hurt his production even more. Speaking of that tighter system, Zacha managed 32 points in 65 games playing in that tighter system with bottom six minutes. I’m sure I over value him but I stand by my opinion that he could be a 50 point 2C if given the minutes in a more offensive system. Nothing spectacular but secondary scoring is important. Again sorry for being rude
BurnEmUp liked this.
Jul. 9, 2020 at 11:14 a.m.
Kresco

Neither did Hughes. 7 goals and 20 pts? Yeesh ....does that mean Hughes is only worth a 3rd rounder
royle9 liked this.
Jul. 9, 2020 at 11:27 a.m.
look good play good
NJ has room to make more moves to shore up the defense.
JG has proven he has what it takes to put up an avg over 1ppg in the NHL, the stats we've outlined above don't lie.
He's easily a top 15 player in the LEAGUE.
Hughes had 7 goals and 20 pts which is a shocker but also a shame. Would that then make him worth nothing if he were to be traded?

Zacha is what he is and has only shown to put up an AVG of 27 pts or .33ppg in the NHL.
It's easy to overvalue these players but you can't HOPE he'd be a 50pt player when he's yet to prove it after 4 years in the NHL (Case point, see Sam Bennett in Calgary former 4th O/A pick... his value is gone) Flames have a current RFA that's extremely close to Zacha in Mark Jankowski with a .30ppg in only 3 seasons thus far but does not play big like Zacha.

Ty Smith is an unknown, former 17th O/A pick may turn out to be something in the NHL but as of today we have no idea, its an unknown factor and therefor can only be rated as what it is.
He may turn into a top 4 D man in the NHL but he has a higher chance to bust.

Players of Johnny's caliber rarely get traded at all, but with Calgary's depth and the fact that Johnny has made it known he wants to play in the east, now is the time to trade him.
So yes, whether he resigns in Jersey or not is an unknown but he certainly favors signing there over re-signing with Calgary which is why Flames fans are exploring the the options of trading him.

You won't get Johnny for the 10th pick, it takes the 7th at the very least because even at 7 the chance of that player putting up Johnny's numbers in the NHL is EXTREMELY low.
BurnEmUp liked this.
Jul. 9, 2020 at 11:54 a.m.
NJ has room to make more moves to shore up the defense.
JG has proven he has what it takes to put up an avg over 1ppg in the NHL, the stats we've outlined above don't lie.
He's easily a top 15 player in the LEAGUE.
Hughes had 7 goals and 20 pts which is a shocker but also a shame. Would that then make him worth nothing if he were to be traded?

Zacha is what he is and has only shown to put up an AVG of 27 pts or .33ppg in the NHL.
It's easy to overvalue these players but you can't HOPE he'd be a 50pt player when he's yet to prove it after 4 years in the NHL (Case point, see Sam Bennett in Calgary former 4th O/A pick... his value is gone) Flames have a current RFA that's extremely close to Zacha in Mark Jankowski with a .30ppg in only 3 seasons thus far but does not play big like Zacha.

Ty Smith is an unknown, former 17th O/A pick may turn out to be something in the NHL but as of today we have no idea, its an unknown factor and therefor can only be rated as what it is.
He may turn into a top 4 D man in the NHL but he has a higher chance to bust.

Players of Johnny's caliber rarely get traded at all, but with Calgary's depth and the fact that Johnny has made it known he wants to play in the east, now is the time to trade him.
So yes, whether he resigns in Jersey or not is an unknown but he certainly favors signing there over re-signing with Calgary which is why Flames fans are exploring the the options of trading him.

You won't get Johnny for the 10th pick, it takes the 7th at the very least because even at 7 the chance of that player putting up Johnny's numbers in the NHL is EXTREMELY low.

You’re not wrong. I just think given where NJ is right now they’d be smart to keep those pieces. You’re looking at what Zacha has done over his entire career which includes the time he struggled to keep a roster spot and adjusted to the NHL. If you look at this past season and consider what he did with a limited role, I don’t think it’s unreasonable to think he’s capable of more. Vegas achieved a lot of their success getting players that were lower on the depth charts but capable of more. I think GMs are getting smarter and paying closer attention to context where that was a blind spot for a lot of them in the past. If Johnny goes back to 1.2 ppg I’d absolutely consider a 7oa pick and additional pieces fair. But a 0.8 ppg Johnny that can’t sign an extension yet... I’m gonna hold off. We can disagree on that and still respect and appreciate each other as fans
Jul. 9, 2020 at 11:57 a.m.
mostly harmless
oh for ****'s sake if I see one more Andy-for-a-"never-was"-reclamation-project proposal I'm going to start stabbing people.

ANDY. HAS. PRODUCED. JANKOWSKI HAS NOT. BENNETT HAS NOT. WE WANT PEOPLE WHO PRODUCED.
Ajp_18 liked this.
Jul. 9, 2020 at 12:06 p.m.
Yeah Baby
Quoting: Viqsi
oh for ****'s sake if I see one more Andy-for-a-"never-was"-reclamation-project proposal I'm going to start stabbing people.

ANDY. HAS. PRODUCED. JANKOWSKI HAS NOT. BENNETT HAS NOT. WE WANT PEOPLE WHO PRODUCED.

That's why Phillips was added lol

AGMing is serious business.
Jul. 9, 2020 at 12:56 p.m.
That's why Phillips was added lol

AGMing is serious business.

Yes, a 4th line wing and a b prospect gets you a middle 6 wing.... Be real, Columbus has no use for this trade. It doesn’t make them any better.
Jul. 9, 2020 at 1:00 p.m.
Yeah Baby
Quoting: Ajp_18
Yes, a 4th line wing and a b prospect gets you a middle 6 wing.... Be real, Columbus has no use for this trade. It doesn’t make them any better.

Well, Janko is a 4th line C not wing, and I agree he has little to no value, but Anderson just scored 1 goal in 26 games and also had a major long term injury. His value has plummeted from where it was last year. Best for CLB to hang onto him and see if he can rebound because I don't see anybody giving much up to acquire him at this point.
Jul. 9, 2020 at 1:03 p.m.
Well, Janko is a 4th line C not wing, and I agree he has little to no value, but Anderson just scored 1 goal in 26 games and also had a major long term injury. His value has plummeted from where it was last year. Best for CLB to hang onto him and see if he can rebound because I don't see anybody giving much up to acquire him at this point.

Yes!!! That’s exactly what Columbus is going to do!! So stop trading krap for him. Columbus has no reason to sell him at his lowest value and if he rebounds by the deadline and Columbus is out we sell him then, if not we keep him.
Viqsi liked this.
Jul. 9, 2020 at 6:31 p.m.
I can certainly see the value. Johnny is worth a top-10 pick, a good prospect, and a ready-now player. It’s a fair deal. The problem with NJ as a trade partner is that we NEED our top-10 pick, our prospect, and our ready-now player.

On the flip side - some Flames fans to be really pushing him out the door on AGM. I’m curious why this is?
zyyyp liked this.
Jul. 9, 2020 at 7:24 p.m.
Quoting: DevilsFanInTX
I can certainly see the value. Johnny is worth a top-10 pick, a good prospect, and a ready-now player. It’s a fair deal. The problem with NJ as a trade partner is that we NEED our top-10 pick, our prospect, and our ready-now player.

On the flip side - some Flames fans to be really pushing him out the door on AGM. I’m curious why this is?

Because of his pouty attitude and disappearance in the playoffs. It's no coincidence that almost every Flames fan on here wants to get rid of him
Jul. 10, 2020 at 9:34 a.m.
look good play good
Quoting: zyyyp
Because of his pouty attitude and disappearance in the playoffs. It's no coincidence that almost every Flames fan on here wants to get rid of him

LOL - Please dont act like you know what's going on in Flames land when you couldn't be further from the truth.
We dont want to get rid of him, we'd love to keep him.

However given his contract status of only 2 years remaining coupled with the fact that there's a STRONG feeling he will NOT re-sign with the Flames means this is the window to trade him for maximum value.
If we hold onto him for another year+ then his value goes down because his remaining amazing contract @ 6.75 cap hit loses another year and now he's turning into a rental.
Jul. 10, 2020 at 10:30 a.m.
LOL - Please dont act like you know what's going on in Flames land when you couldn't be further from the truth.
We dont want to get rid of him, we'd love to keep him.

However given his contract status of only 2 years remaining coupled with the fact that there's a STRONG feeling he will NOT re-sign with the Flames means this is the window to trade him for maximum value.
If we hold onto him for another year+ then his value goes down because his remaining amazing contract @ 6.75 cap hit loses another year and now he's turning into a rental.

I'm not pretending to know what's going in, it's what I've heard from a few Flames fans. He's worth what you're offering, but NJ would be foolish to entertain it. 7th overall this year and Ty Smith are two massive pieces of this teams future moving forward.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll