SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

NHL Playoff and Play-in Discussion

Aug. 17, 2020 at 10:40 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
And no penalty called on Coyle when he’s both delaying the game by covering the puck, and not going to the bench when he doesn’t have a helmet.

At least the Canes scored.
rangersandislesfan liked this.
Aug. 17, 2020 at 10:44 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: Kotkaniemi15
McAvoy is such an idiot. He could’ve easily taken the puck and gotten a scoring chance for the Bruins, but instead he decides to “finish his check” and injures Staal in addition to allowing the Canes to clear the puck.

I hope Staal is okay ... McAvoy should probably be suspended.
Kotkaniemi15 liked this.
Aug. 17, 2020 at 10:48 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
I hope Staal is okay ... McAvoy should probably be suspended.

Yeah. I wasn’t able to tell if the primary point of contact was the head, so I don’t know whether they’ll suspend him or not.
Aug. 17, 2020 at 11:10 p.m.
And no penalty called on Coyle when he’s both delaying the game by covering the puck, and not going to the bench when he doesn’t have a helmet.

At least the Canes scored.

First coyles allowed to complete the play, he doesnt have to skate right to the bench or its a penalty. Second, if he stands up hes putting himself in danger, hes staying down hoping carlo can get the puck away from him. Third, that mcavoy steamroll was soooooo clean he better not get suspended. Unfortunate staal has a concussion but it was clean.
Aug. 17, 2020 at 11:16 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Quoting: hanson493
First coyles allowed to complete the play, he doesnt have to skate right to the bench or its a penalty. Second, if he stands up hes putting himself in danger, hes staying down hoping carlo can get the puck away from him. Third, that mcavoy steamroll was soooooo clean he better not get suspended. Unfortunate staal has a concussion but it was clean.

About Coyle:
Yes that makes sense, I just thought it looked bad on the refs how Coyle stood up immediately after the whistle blew. I didn’t think about putting himself in danger by standing up.

About McAvoy:
I did say I’m not sure if the head was the principal point of contact, so I’m not sure if it was suspendable. I still think that it was a stupid play in terms of trying to win the game though.
Aug. 18, 2020 at 12:10 a.m.
Former Hockey Fan
How is MacEwen the only person to get a penalty out of a scrum of him and 3 Blues?
Aug. 18, 2020 at 12:59 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
Just one comment on the earlier game: what was wrong with the Canes in the 3rd period?????
SpaghettiPasta liked this.
Aug. 18, 2020 at 8:32 a.m.
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
Just one comment on the earlier game: what was wrong with the Canes in the 3rd period?????

2 goal lead is the worst lead to have in hockey. They came out of the 3rd FLAT. I think they had what 3 shots on net in the 3rd? bruins just came out, flipped a switch and it looked like detroit was on the ice for a few minutes. Once Debrusk scored the bruins looked like a completely different team, then mcavoy destroyed staal on that open ice hit and the canes just lost everything they had for momentum. couldnt get out of their end. Super sloppy in the neutral zone. No stops from reimer when they really needed them.
Aug. 18, 2020 at 8:40 a.m.
About Coyle:
Yes that makes sense, I just thought it looked bad on the refs how Coyle stood up immediately after the whistle blew. I didn’t think about putting himself in danger by standing up.

About McAvoy:
I did say I’m not sure if the head was the principal point of contact, so I’m not sure if it was suspendable. I still think that it was a stupid play in terms of trying to win the game though.

I think that was the kind of hit that gave the bruins that true burst of energy to rattle off 3 more goals. It also coincidentally knocked staal out of the game and he was huge for carolina through the first 2 periods.
Aug. 18, 2020 at 1:42 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan

I think that was the kind of hit that gave the bruins that true burst of energy to rattle off 3 more goals. It also coincidentally knocked staal out of the game and he was huge for carolina through the first 2 periods.

That’s just sick. What kind of people are fired up when they see anyone injured? There’s no chance that good people like Patrice Bergeron and Zdeno Chara are happy when they see anyone have to leave the game with an injury.

And that’s just horrible to say that it was a good thing that McAvoy knocked Staal out of the game. Staal alone wouldn’t have prevented the comeback, and if you can only beat a team by taking out their players, you don’t deserve to win.

This is part of a problem with North American hockey culture. Sure hits are part of the game, but hitting alone doesn’t make you win the game. It’s great if you hit someone, and you’re able to take the puck and have possession, but it’s another thing when you hit someone instead of taking the puck, and allow the other team to keep possession. While it doesn’t necessarily apply here, since Staal didn’t make a play, the quote “take a hit to make a play” shows how if you don’t know when to do them, hits can end up benefiting the other team. A lot of goals could be prevented if players actually focused on what the smartest way to get the puck is, rather than focusing on just “finishing their check”.

Anyways, it was a stupid, useless play by McAvoy, which was made even worse by the fact that he injured someone, on a play that had absolutely no benefit to his team.
Aug. 18, 2020 at 3:00 p.m.
That’s just sick. What kind of people are fired up when they see anyone injured? There’s no chance that good people like Patrice Bergeron and Zdeno Chara are happy when they see anyone have to leave the game with an injury.

Do you watch boxing? how about UFC? TONS of people get amped up over big hits and stuff.

And that’s just horrible to say that it was a good thing that McAvoy knocked Staal out of the game. Staal alone wouldn’t have prevented the comeback, and if you can only beat a team by taking out their players, you don’t deserve to win.

Didnt say it was a good thing staal got hurt but it didnt help carolina as he was killing the bruins in the faceoff dot. bruins possession once staal left the game was a vastly noticeable difference.

This is part of a problem with North American hockey culture. Sure hits are part of the game, but hitting alone doesn’t make you win the game. It’s great if you hit someone, and you’re able to take the puck and have possession, but it’s another thing when you hit someone instead of taking the puck, and allow the other team to keep possession. While it doesn’t necessarily apply here, since Staal didn’t make a play, the quote “take a hit to make a play” shows how if you don’t know when to do them, hits can end up benefiting the other team. A lot of goals could be prevented if players actually focused on what the smartest way to get the puck is, rather than focusing on just “finishing their check”.

what are you talking about here? did you actually see the sequence? mcavoy hits staal as he was trying to break out of the zone. He was being aggressive and trying to force a turnover in the neutral zone. Staal was taking shots at mcavoy the entire shift leading up to this hit...

Anyways, it was a stupid, useless play by McAvoy, which was made even worse by the fact that he injured someone, on a play that had absolutely no benefit to his team.

Again see above.
Aug. 18, 2020 at 3:55 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
2 goal lead is the worst lead to have in hockey. They came out of the 3rd FLAT. I think they had what 3 shots on net in the 3rd? bruins just came out, flipped a switch and it looked like detroit was on the ice for a few minutes. Once Debrusk scored the bruins looked like a completely different team, then mcavoy destroyed staal on that open ice hit and the canes just lost everything they had for momentum. couldnt get out of their end. Super sloppy in the neutral zone. No stops from reimer when they really needed them.

Again see above.

If you’re trying to argue that the Hurricanes lost because they were upset about losing Staal, that’s crap. You said yourself, the Hurricanes came into the 3rd flat. They were clearly the worse team at that point, and Staal getting injured didn’t do anything to affect that.
Aug. 18, 2020 at 3:58 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
My condolences to Dale Hawerchuk’s family and friends. A great hockey player and a great man, gone far too soon.
Aug. 18, 2020 at 4:04 p.m.
If you’re trying to argue that the Hurricanes lost because they were upset about losing Staal, that’s crap. You said yourself, the Hurricanes came into the 3rd flat. They were clearly the worse team at that point, and Staal getting injured didn’t do anything to affect that.

No, im saying they were scrambling, debrusk scored, staal who is excellent defensively and was killing it on faceoffs exited with the injury, and the canes just couldnt recover after the debrusk goal. Reimer stopped making saves, the defense couldnt transition the puck at all, it seemed like there was a solid 10 minutes of sustained pressure in the canes end which led to 4 straight goals. Staal might have been able to win a key faceoff or help backcheck to make a key stop....
Aug. 18, 2020 at 4:14 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
No, im saying they were scrambling, debrusk scored, staal who is excellent defensively and was killing it on faceoffs exited with the injury, and the canes just couldnt recover after the debrusk goal. Reimer stopped making saves, the defense couldnt transition the puck at all, it seemed like there was a solid 10 minutes of sustained pressure in the canes end which led to 4 straight goals. Staal might have been able to win a key faceoff or help backcheck to make a key stop....

I really don’t think that Staal would’ve made a difference. Carolina was imploding, and nothing could stop that. And like I said before, it’s f’ing sick that you justify making a dumb play because it benefitted the team by injuring someone.
Aug. 18, 2020 at 4:19 p.m.
Bo Horvat enjoyer
I predict an isles-Avs sc final

Who wins in that scenario
Aug. 18, 2020 at 4:26 p.m.
I really don’t think that Staal would’ve made a difference. Carolina was imploding, and nothing could stop that. And like I said before, it’s f’ing sick that you justify making a dumb play because it benefitted the team by injuring someone.

No, he made a correct read by hitting someone who was trying to exit his zone and into the neutral zone... Its unfortunate staal got hurt on the play but that was a massive hit and gave the team a power surge.
Aug. 18, 2020 at 4:28 p.m.
Quoting: AndrewLadd
I predict an isles-Avs sc final

Who wins in that scenario

avs
Aug. 18, 2020 at 4:30 p.m.
Bo Horvat enjoyer
avs

Fair enough, I think it would b close
Aug. 18, 2020 at 4:36 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Why did we have to score all of our goals in one game?
Aug. 18, 2020 at 4:36 p.m.
Fair enough, I think it would b close

forwards: avs
defense: close but ill take avs
goalie: pretty even
Aug. 18, 2020 at 4:37 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
No, he made a correct read by hitting someone who was trying to exit his zone and into the neutral zone... Its unfortunate staal got hurt on the play but that was a massive hit and gave the team a power surge.

Huh?
Kotkaniemi15 liked this.
Aug. 18, 2020 at 4:37 p.m.
Bo Horvat enjoyer

I think isles d is better. I give it:

Offense: Avs (by a considerable margin)
Defense: isles (but I get where ur coming from)
Goalies: isles (but it’s close)
Coaching: isles (but bednar is still great)
Aug. 18, 2020 at 4:38 p.m.
Black Lives Matter

Team defence or d-men?
Aug. 18, 2020 at 4:39 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
I think isles d is better. I give it:

Offense: Avs (by a considerable margin)
Defense: isles (but I get where ur coming from)
Goalies: isles (but it’s close)
Coaching: isles (but bednar is still great)

Offence - Colorado
Defence - NY Islanders
Goaltending - NY Islanders (it's close)
Coaching - NY Islanders
AndrewLadd liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll