SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

NHL Playoff and Play-in Discussion

Aug. 17, 2020 at 8:22 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Edited Aug. 17, 2020 at 8:54 a.m.
Quoting: SpaghettiPasta
Do you remember the last time the leafs won the cup? If so, whats that like?

Yes. I remember. The first recollection of actually watching and following hockey was in grade one...1960/61. Actually I can remember the 1962 Cup. Remember going to my first Leaf game in 1962. I continue later, I have an emergency call.
So, my recollection of the Leafs and the NHL is 60 years. When the Leafs won in 1967, the NHL had its first expansion the next season. No reason to think that the Leaf/Canadians wouldn't be perennial contenders. But the universal draft sorta put an end to that. Plus what the Canadians, later the Islanders and Oilers is have good ownership and great management. The Leafs under Smythe then Ballard had poor ownership and often very poor management. Hence the Leafs who every opportunity to be a a dominant or at least a good team for decades....failed.
Even now, though I was enthused about Shanahan being president and certainly he had done a lot of good things. IMO the Leafs have had some awful management decisions lately. Hiring Babcock, keeping Babcock, giving out player friendly contracts in a cap league.
Thanks for letting me reminisce and rant.
SpaghettiPasta liked this.
Aug. 17, 2020 at 9:16 a.m.
i get family comes first. regardless. but rask should have told everyone he was out a month ago. not gone through this entire thing, gotten into the playoffs played a few games and then be like nah man im out. I bet he gets traded in the offseason. I think hes pretty much done with hockey.
Aug. 17, 2020 at 9:36 a.m.
HutsonNorlinderGuhle
Quoting: hanson493
i get family comes first. regardless. but rask should have told everyone he was out a month ago. not gone through this entire thing, gotten into the playoffs played a few games and then be like nah man im out. I bet he gets traded in the offseason. I think hes pretty much done with hockey.

I guess we can expect Holtby or Lehner in a Bs jersey if Rask is traded
Aug. 17, 2020 at 10:47 a.m.
Black Lives Matter

It sounds like it's just for this year ... I expect he'll be playing next year, but I don't know if it will be for the Bruins or not. They might decide to trade him, but I don't think he wants out of Boston or anything.
Aug. 17, 2020 at 11:48 a.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
What happened? I didn't watch the game. All I know is the Flyers won 1-0, and based off some of these comments, it sounds like Montreal hit a lot of posts.

Basically Thompson created a 4 minute penalty out of nothing. So KK hits him, which causes his visor to cut his nose a little bit. Then later on in the play, KK’s stick accidentally hits the bottom of his visor (doesn’t touch his face at all) and he dives on the ground, holding his face, and the ref calls a penalty. And they make it 4 minutes because he’s bleeding, even though KK didn’t even touch him.

Fortunately Philly’s power play sucks, so they didn’t score, but that’s still 4 minutes where the habs could’ve been playing in the offensive zone and could’ve scored a goal.
rangersandislesfan liked this.
Aug. 17, 2020 at 11:52 a.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Quoting: HabsFan9
I guess we can expect Holtby or Lehner in a Bs jersey if Rask is traded

He’s not getting traded. He might retire at some point, but Tukka might rather be with his family than play hockey. It has nothing to do with the Bruins specifically.

And I guess they could sign Holtby, but ideally they’d probably want someone who is at least as good as Halák.

Edit: Sorry @rangersandislesfan I accidentally quoted the wrong post at first.
Aug. 17, 2020 at 11:58 a.m.
It sounds like it's just for this year ... I expect he'll be playing next year, but I don't know if it will be for the Bruins or not. They might decide to trade him, but I don't think he wants out of Boston or anything.

he was talking about retiring at the end of his contract sometime between last playoff and middle of this year. He then backtracked and said he would probably play beyond his current deal. It seems to me like he isnt exactly 100% into hockey that he truly is mentally getting done with it and is more focused on his family. I dont blame him one bit but if hes planning on hanging them up do you trade him and sign lehner?
Aug. 17, 2020 at 11:59 a.m.
Quoting: Kotkaniemi15
He’s not getting traded. He might retire at some point, but Tukka might rather be with his family than play hockey. It has nothing to do with the Bruins specifically.

And I guess they could sign Holtby, but ideally they’d probably want someone who is at least as good as Halák.

yeah i cant see them going after holtby whos been a hot mess the last year plus. cooled off real quick after they won the cup.
Aug. 17, 2020 at 3:26 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Basically Thompson created a 4 minute penalty out of nothing. So KK hits him, which causes his visor to cut his nose a little bit. Then later on in the play, KK’s stick accidentally hits the bottom of his visor (doesn’t touch his face at all) and he dives on the ground, holding his face, and the ref calls a penalty. And they make it 4 minutes because he’s bleeding, even though KK didn’t even touch him.

Fortunately Philly’s power play sucks, so they didn’t score, but that’s still 4 minutes where the habs could’ve been playing in the offensive zone and could’ve scored a goal.

Was it a clean hit or not?
Aug. 17, 2020 at 3:29 p.m.
Black Lives Matter

It doesn't have to do with the Bruins specifically, but it has to do with this year specifically. He said that with no fans it doesn't feel like playoff hockey and if there wasn't a pandemic he'd be able to play in front of fans and he could probably spend a little bit of time with his family after games (if they go to the games). He's not going to retire, and I don't think he wants out of Boston. It's unlikely that he's traded IMO but they might decide to move him if they don't like his decision to opt out of the playoffs, but I doubt it.
Aug. 17, 2020 at 4:11 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Was it a clean hit or not?

It was a normal hit. I just mentioned it because it is what caused Thompson to get a cut on his nose, rather than a high-stick.
Aug. 17, 2020 at 4:18 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
So...

TBL vs MTL
CAR/BOS vs NYI
or
PHI vs NYI
TBL vs CAR/BOS
Aug. 17, 2020 at 4:27 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
So...

TBL vs MTL
CAR/BOS vs NYI
or
PHI vs NYI
TBL vs CAR/BOS

I may have spoken too soon.
Aug. 17, 2020 at 4:33 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
It was a normal hit. I just mentioned it because it is what caused Thompson to get a cut on his nose, rather than a high-stick.

I assumed that but whether it was a clean hit or not makes a difference IMO, because if it wasn't, then he deserved a penalty anyway. I didn't see the hit, though, and it sounds like it was a clean hit.
Kotkaniemi15 liked this.
Aug. 17, 2020 at 4:34 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
So...

TBL vs MTL
CAR/BOS vs NYI
or
PHI vs NYI
TBL vs CAR/BOS

I'm 99.5% sure we're going to beat the Capitals, but it's not over yet. Also, Columbus???
Aug. 17, 2020 at 4:42 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
I'm 99.5% sure we're going to beat the Capitals, but it's not over yet. Also, Columbus???

This is assuming that CBJ loses, which looks it’s likely, but I did say above that I may have spoken too soon.
Aug. 17, 2020 at 4:42 p.m.

i mean columbus is likely about to go down 3-1 in the series.
Aug. 17, 2020 at 5:15 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
This is assuming that CBJ loses, which looks it’s likely, but I did say above that I may have spoken too soon.

i mean columbus is likely about to go down 3-1 in the series.

Teams come back to win from down 3-1 quite often ... also, it's only a 1-goal difference in the game.
Aug. 17, 2020 at 5:35 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Teams come back to win from down 3-1 quite often ... also, it's only a 1-goal difference in the game.

Okay, it's now a 3-1 series, but it's not over yet ... for whatever reason, it's not that rare for a team to come back from down 3-1 unless they were previously down 3-0 (idk why) ... I give CBJ a better chance of coming back than Chicago.
Aug. 17, 2020 at 5:40 p.m.

i wouldnt say quite often. ~ 10% of teams come back from 3-1...
Aug. 17, 2020 at 5:40 p.m.
Okay, it's now a 3-1 series, but it's not over yet ... for whatever reason, it's not that rare for a team to come back from down 3-1 unless they were previously down 3-0 (idk why) ... I give CBJ a better chance of coming back than Chicago.

i give neither a true shot at coming back. washington is cooked too. that series is ovah.
Aug. 17, 2020 at 6:05 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
i wouldnt say quite often. ~ 10% of teams come back from 3-1...

And how many series get to 3-1 each year? So, probably every 2 years or so a team comes back to win from down 3-1 ... I agree Tampa Bay most likely wins that one, but Columbus still has a decent chance.
Aug. 17, 2020 at 6:07 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
i give neither a true shot at coming back. washington is cooked too. that series is ovah.

I agree Washington is basically out of it but you never know ... same with Chicago. Columbus is still most likely done, but they're more likely to come back than either of the other two IMO.
Aug. 17, 2020 at 8:10 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Colorado has looked WAAAAAAAAAYYYYY better than Arizona this game (and pretty much the whole series) ...
SpaghettiPasta liked this.
Aug. 17, 2020 at 10:27 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
McAvoy is such an idiot. He could’ve easily taken the puck and gotten a scoring chance for the Bruins, but instead he decides to “finish his check” and injures Staal in addition to allowing the Canes to clear the puck.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll