Forums/Armchair-GM

Keeping The Core Another Year

Created by: Dave31
Team: 2020-21 San Jose Sharks
Initial Creation Date: Aug. 14, 2020
Published: Aug. 21, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Nashville said they planned on mixing things up a lot in the offseason so I could easily see Arvidsson being moved. Labanc and a 1st would be a solid return for them and he could fill out the top line for the sharks. Kapanen for a 2nd and prospects to clear out vital cap space for the Leafs and give the sharks young scoring depth. The VAN trade only makes sense if they sign Markstrom, but Demko and Virtanen for Merkley and Gambrell will free up cap space for them and give them an elite D prospect as well as a cheap young center. It sounds like they will have to move Virtanen due to cap trouble anyways. I realize that its going all in with our picks this year, but if we bounce back then its worth it because the players brought in are all still young. If not, then we will have all our picks in the next two years and can move core pieces to gain more and rebuild before the next years draft.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$800,000
3$3,500,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$800,000
2$800,000
2$1,200,000
Trades
NSH
  1. Labanc, Kevin [RFA Rights]
  2. Sörensen, Marcus
  3. 2020 1st round pick (TBL)
  4. 2021 3rd round pick (WSH)
SJS
  1. Demko, Thatcher
  2. Virtanen, Jake [RFA Rights]
  3. 2021 2nd round pick (VAN)
VAN
  1. Gambrell, Dylan
  2. Merkley, Ryan
  3. 2020 5th round pick (OTT)
  4. 2021 3rd round pick (PIT)
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$74,171,666$0$365,000$7,328,334
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the San Jose Sharks
$7,000,000$7,000,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$8,000,000$8,000,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 7
Logo of the Nashville Predators
$4,250,000$4,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 4
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$5,625,000$5,625,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$3,200,000$3,200,000
RW
UFA - 2
$800,000$800,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$1,200,000$1,200,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$763,333$763,333 (Performance Bonus$20,000$20K)
C, RW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Nashville Predators
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
$778,333$778,333 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
C
RFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,000,000$7,000,000
LD/RD
NMC
UFA - 6
$10,000,000$10,000,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 7
$5,750,000$5,750,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$2,250,000$2,250,000
LD/RD
UFA - 4
$5,280,000$5,280,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
LD
UFA - 2
$800,000$800,000
LD
UFA - 2
Logo of the Vancouver Canucks
$1,050,000$1,050,000
G
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
LD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Aug. 21, 2020 at 5:55 p.m.
Bad Take Bot v1.02
all 3 of these trades are massive overpays
Aug. 21, 2020 at 5:56 p.m.
I think Arvidsson, along with Forsberg, are the only safe forwards this season (and maybe Duchene just because of the recency of his signing -- would look bad to trade him after one year).
Aug. 21, 2020 at 5:59 p.m.
hope your happy about Duchene XD
Aug. 21, 2020 at 6:02 p.m.
Quoting: villenash
I think Arvidsson, along with Forsberg, are the only safe forwards this season (and maybe Duchene just because of the recency of his signing -- would look bad to trade him after one year).

I wouldn't have thought he might be available if it weren't for how clear the GM made it that they would be making big moves. I see your point for sure, but when a GM says that, it could potentially mean nothing is off the table. Cant imagine his value being much more than this offer right now though, Labanc and a 1st is a great return
Aug. 21, 2020 at 6:14 p.m.
Quoting: Dave31
I wouldn't have thought he might be available if it weren't for how clear the GM made it that they would be making big moves. I see your point for sure, but when a GM says that, it could potentially mean nothing is off the table. Cant imagine his value being much more than this offer right now though, Labanc and a 1st is a great return

The return is definitely a competetive offer. I have seen he's interested in change, but he also said he liked seeing the JoFA line back together and thought they were the best line in the playoffs. I just think Arvy is the least of the Preds worries. It's a fair offer, I just want to keep Arvy - he's a great player and fan-favorite!
Dave31 liked this.
Aug. 21, 2020 at 6:23 p.m.
Quoting: villenash
The return is definitely a competetive offer. I have seen he's interested in change, but he also said he liked seeing the JoFA line back together and thought they were the best line in the playoffs. I just think Arvy is the least of the Preds worries. It's a fair offer, I just want to keep Arvy - he's a great player and fan-favorite!

Totally fair, Im a big fan of his and his contract is fantastic so I understand wanting to keep him lol just not sure how extreme the Preds moves are gonna be this offseason. Maybe the GM was exaggerating a bit, but Id be curious to see if he would turn down a quality offer to shake things up like this one
villenash liked this.
Aug. 21, 2020 at 6:26 p.m.
Quoting: Klara
all 3 of these trades are massive overpays

I certainly wouldn't say massive, but ya maybe a bit. That'll probably be what it takes to get it done though, and Id be happy to go all in this year if it meant bouncing back right away without moving the core and avoiding a long term rebuild. Thats the only way to keep the window open and stay in "win now" mode. You really think any of these teams would accept offers of less?
Aug. 21, 2020 at 6:28 p.m.
Totally fair, Im a big fan of his and his contract is fantastic so I understand wanting to keep him lol just not sure how extreme the Preds moves are gonna be this offseason. Maybe the GM was exaggerating a bit, but Id be curious to see if he would turn down a quality offer to shake things up like this one

I read an article where Poile and Hynes discussed next season and bringing in some youth -- and they said they'd give them a fair shot to make the team. So I have a feeling that Poile will let Granlund and Smith walk and bring up Tolvanen, Trenin, and maybe even Tomasino. The only big move I feel he will do is a Turris trade or buyout. I made this team based on their comments -- https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/1855986
Aug. 21, 2020 at 6:29 p.m.
All of these trades just aren't great value-wise for us. We're moving out too many good prospects and picks.

For Kapanen, that COL 2nd alone isn't enough to get him, but adding Kniazev is certainly an overpay. I'd recommend taking out Kniazev and just doing Kapanen for that SJS 2nd 1 for one. Add Danil in there as an extra if you want, he's not worth a ton.

I quite like the idea of bringing in Demko, but to me it sounds like Vancouver is set on keeping Virtanen. Similarly, we're very, very, very intent on keeping Merkley, so I don't love it from that standpoint. Take out Merkley, Virtanen and the 2nd maybe? Sharks take that deal.

And then Arvidsson is very good and the deal is fair (although I hate Watson lol) but I can't see Nashville being too excited to blow up the team, especially with guys like Arvidsson. For us, it's a lot to give up and Arvidsson's injury history doesn't sit well with me. I'd leave it at Arvidsson for Labanc, Sorensen and a 1st at most. Maybe Add Jarnkrok and the COL 2nd to replace Virtanen.
Aug. 21, 2020 at 6:42 p.m.
Yeah I think the Canucks pass. Gambrell doesn't make our team with Gaudette and Beagle. Virtanen and Demko could each bring back an second. Merkely is not he dman we are looking for we have Hughes and Rathbone that are in the same vein as Merkley. Canuck aren't trading Virtanen Gaudette and a 2nd for Merkley and spare parts the Canucks don't need this only saves the canucks around two million if Gambrell makes the team. Just terrible value as Merkley also has questions about his attitude.
Aug. 21, 2020 at 6:42 p.m.
Quoting: RawZuccSauce420
All of these trades just aren't great value-wise for us. We're moving out too many good prospects and picks.

For Kapanen, that COL 2nd alone isn't enough to get him, but adding Kniazev is certainly an overpay. I'd recommend taking out Kniazev and just doing Kapanen for that SJS 2nd 1 for one. Add Danil in there as an extra if you want, he's not worth a ton.

I quite like the idea of bringing in Demko, but to me it sounds like Vancouver is set on keeping Virtanen. Similarly, we're very, very, very intent on keeping Merkley, so I don't love it from that standpoint. Take out Merkley, Virtanen and the 2nd maybe? Sharks take that deal.

And then Arvidsson is very good and the deal is fair (although I hate Watson lol) but I can't see Nashville being too excited to blow up the team, especially with guys like Arvidsson. For us, it's a lot to give up and Arvidsson's injury history doesn't sit well with me. I'd leave it at Arvidsson for Labanc, Sorensen and a 1st at most. Maybe Add Jarnkrok and the COL 2nd to replace Virtanen.

I understand that each trade is a bit of an overpay, no argument there, but right now I think thats what it would take to get it done. The idea of being too concerned with picks and prospects just doesn't add up to me, I honestly am not worried about anything other than the present. If we are staying in "win now" mode then we gotta do whats best for bouncing back and being a contender next year. If that doesn't work and we go all in and still fail, then next year we will have tons of core pieces we can move for all the picks and prospects in the world (similar to what the Sens did) but we cant stay in a purgatory. Its either go all in or rebuild, and Im not ready to accept a rebuild just yet.

Im with you on the TOR trade, I think they might accept it just for the pick as well but I through in prospects to sweeten the deal because Im sure plenty of other teams will offer a 2nd rounder for him as well and I want them to choose us. From what Ive been hearing from VAN its quite the opposite though, and it sounds like with the cap trouble they're in he could almost certainly be on the move. He's young and gritty with 20+ goal scoring potential, exactly the type of player we should be going hard after. Demko has plenty of value as well, so Im not sure the Sharks would be able to make the best offer for those players without involving Merkley. To me, thats worth moving a prospect for (even an elite one). The NSH trade is only based on the fact that their GM has publicly said he will be making lots of moves this offseason, so you're right that Arvidsson might not be available but theres definitely a chance he could be! Watson would bring a ton of value to our 4th line that hasn't had any kind of identity for years now, which is why I also added Maroon to add the heavyweight element that we desperately need.
Aug. 21, 2020 at 6:48 p.m.
Quoting: mattsin47
Yeah I think the Canucks pass. Gambrell doesn't make our team with Gaudette and Beagle. Virtanen and Demko could each bring back an second. Merkely is not he dman we are looking for we have Hughes and Rathbone that are in the same vein as Merkley. Canuck aren't trading Virtanen Gaudette and a 2nd for Merkley and spare parts the Canucks don't need this only saves the canucks around two million if Gambrell makes the team. Just terrible value as Merkley also has questions about his attitude.

From almost every VAN fan Ive talked to, all Ive heard is that the Canucks are looking for a young elite RHD and right now Merkley is one of the highest prospects around in that position. Cant imagine a world where you would rather get a couple 2nds for guys like Demko and Virtanen but hey if you'd rather take picks from us for them that works for me!
Aug. 21, 2020 at 6:59 p.m.
Lets go Preds
What do you think Leblanc’s next contract looks like?
Aug. 21, 2020 at 7:01 p.m.
Quoting: GeauxPreds1

3-4 yr for 3-4 million dollars
Aug. 21, 2020 at 7:01 p.m.
From almost every VAN fan Ive talked to, all Ive heard is that the Canucks are looking for a young elite RHD and right now Merkley is one of the highest prospects around in that position. Cant imagine a world where you would rather get a couple 2nds for guys like Demko and Virtanen but hey if you'd rather take picks from us for them that works for me!

Virtanen was basically on pace for 20 goals and 40 points is young and controlled for a couple more years won't get a second round pick okay. Demko yeah he hasn't performed up to his potential but the potential he has could easily get second 2nd. Yeah I would rather have 3 second round picks than Merkley that wouldn't fit on the Canucks and has a ton of question marks about his defensive game that is nonexistent and his off ice issues.
Aug. 21, 2020 at 7:03 p.m.

Thats a great question, Id have to assume its in the same ballpark that guys like Kapanen and Johnson got in Toronto so probably around $3.5 for 3 years? Considering he took $1m this year I don't think he's too greedy lol and he's young so he's a solid piece for sure
Aug. 21, 2020 at 7:07 p.m.
Lets go Preds
Thats a great question, Id have to assume its in the same ballpark that guys like Kapanen and Johnson got in Toronto so probably around $3.5 for 3 years? Considering he took $1m this year I don't think he's too greedy lol and he's young so he's a solid piece for sure

Yea he has a lot of potential and if I was poile I would really think about it but with Arvidsson’s contract and him being one of our elite goal scorers it would be hard to deal him. This offer is a nice one though but I think poile would pass because he’s the preds heart and teammates feed off his energy
Dave31 liked this.
Aug. 21, 2020 at 7:12 p.m.
Virtanen was basically on pace for 20 goals and 40 points is young and controlled for a couple more years won't get a second round pick okay. Demko yeah he hasn't performed up to his potential but the potential he has could easily get second 2nd. Yeah I would rather have 3 second round picks than Merkley that wouldn't fit on the Canucks and has a ton of question marks about his defensive game that is nonexistent and his off ice issues.

Virtanen and Demko are each worth 2nds for sure, I 100% agree. You could probably flip Merkley somewhere and get two 2nds for him alone because right now no position has more value than an offensive RHD. You can keep looking at his "off ice issues" if you want but nothing in that realm has even come up in a long time, his coach has even been saying great things about his attitude recently. The fact is that he was the 2nd highest scoring defenseman in the OHL at 19 years old, anyone looking for a young RHD would be crazy not to see the massive value in that. But again, by all means, Id gladly trade you the 2nd round picks instead and keep Merkley if that got it done because most sharks fans are telling me its a big overpay on our part to include Merkley
FunMustBeAlways liked this.
Aug. 21, 2020 at 7:15 p.m.
Yea he has a lot of potential and if I was poile I would really think about it but with Arvidsson’s contract and him being one of our elite goal scorers it would be hard to deal him. This offer is a nice one though but I think poile would pass because he’s the preds heart and teammates feed off his energy

Totally understandable, I see the reason for wanting to keep him as well but with what Poile was saying about making big moves in the offseason who knows? Id be curious to see if he would turn down a really quality offer like this one, could definitely be a "win win" trade
Aug. 21, 2020 at 7:23 p.m.
I understand that each trade is a bit of an overpay, no argument there, but right now I think thats what it would take to get it done. The idea of being too concerned with picks and prospects just doesn't add up to me, I honestly am not worried about anything other than the present. If we are staying in "win now" mode then we gotta do whats best for bouncing back and being a contender next year. If that doesn't work and we go all in and still fail, then next year we will have tons of core pieces we can move for all the picks and prospects in the world (similar to what the Sens did) but we cant stay in a purgatory. Its either go all in or rebuild, and Im not ready to accept a rebuild just yet

I'm just saying you don't have to overpay this much when you're sending such a hefty package for guys like Kapanen or Arvidsson or Virtanen. It's really not good for us. It's fine to worry mostly about the present, but it's not good to disregard our entire future. We can be in "win now" mode and pursue success without giving up every valuable asset we have in the process. If we don't put every single chip in now that doesn't necessarily mean we're committed to rebuilding, it just means we're not forfeiting our entire future for the now. Which I think is a good idea. Again, I'm not opposed to moving some picks for good players that will help us, but we can't afford to get rid of prospects like this.

Im with you on the TOR trade, I think they might accept it just for the pick as well but I through in prospects to sweeten the deal because Im sure plenty of other teams will offer a 2nd rounder for him as well and I want them to choose us.

Agreed, but if that's the case don't move Kniazev. He's a guy we specifically moved up in the draft to get. Plus Toronto already has tons of LDH like Sandin, Dermott, Reilly, Muzzin, and Marincin. Replace Kniazev with Roy and it's much better. They have no need for LHD, and we have no reason to give up on him so early.

From what Ive been hearing from VAN its quite the opposite though, and it sounds like with the cap trouble they're in he could almost certainly be on the move. He's young and gritty with 20+ goal scoring potential, exactly the type of player we should be going hard after. Demko has plenty of value as well, so Im not sure the Sharks would be able to make the best offer for those players without involving Merkley. To me, thats worth moving a prospect for (even an elite one).

VAN is going to try to move Sutter, Eriksson, Beagle, Ferland or Roussel before Virtanen. They realize he's finally developed into they player they've expected him to be. From what I've heard, the Canucks have very little interest in moving him. Having the cap to keep Virtanen is highly contingent on Toffoli re-upping with them and honestly I'm not so sure that happens. They're beating the Blues in a playoff series as we speak despite not having Toffoli the entire time. Demko has plenty of value, and I'd be willing to pony up for him, but unless we're getting back Hoglander, Podkolzin Rathbone or Madden, I would have absolutely 0 interest in even considering moving someone of Merkley's caliber. Especially considering that he's our best prospect.

The NSH trade is only based on the fact that their GM has publicly said he will be making lots of moves this offseason, so you're right that Arvidsson might not be available but theres definitely a chance he could be! Watson would bring a ton of value to our 4th line that hasn't had any kind of identity for years now, which is why I also added Maroon to add the heavyweight element that we desperately need.

Yeah no for sure Arvidsson could be available and I'd be happy if he was. Just kind of noting that Nashville certainly wouldn't be selling low and Arvidsson. That one I'm fine with if we're paying the right price.
Aug. 21, 2020 at 7:39 p.m.
Virtanen and Demko are each worth 2nds for sure, I 100% agree. You could probably flip Merkley somewhere and get two 2nds for him alone because right now no position has more value than an offensive RHD. You can keep looking at his "off ice issues" if you want but nothing in that realm has even come up in a long time, his coach has even been saying great things about his attitude recently. The fact is that he was the 2nd highest scoring defenseman in the OHL at 19 years old, anyone looking for a young RHD would be crazy not to see the massive value in that. But again, by all means, Id gladly trade you the 2nd round picks instead and keep Merkley if that got it done because most sharks fans are telling me its a big overpay on our part to include Merkley

Yeah I agree with you I just don't think Merkley will become a top 4 dman. For Sharks fan who think he will become a top pairing guy or top 4 dman at worst it's an over payment. It just depends on your evaluation of Merkely. Maybe I undervalue Merkely because I haven't seen him much this year and watched him a lot last year where he wasn't that great. You are right RD is the Canuck biggest need. Honestly 80% of Canucks fans would take that deal.
Aug. 21, 2020 at 8:02 p.m.
Yeah I agree with you I just don't think Merkley will become a top 4 dman. For Sharks fan who think he will become a top pairing guy or top 4 dman at worst it's an over payment. It just depends on your evaluation of Merkely. Maybe I undervalue Merkely because I haven't seen him much this year and watched him a lot last year where he wasn't that great. You are right RD is the Canuck biggest need. Honestly 80% of Canucks fans would take that deal.

Ya I mean at the end of the day he is still a prospect so of course I see the concern, but after watching him this year and seeing the numbers he put up he certainly seems like he would be worth the risk for any team looking for a RD. Only the reason Im even considering moving him is because we already have Burns and Karlsson at that position lol but like I said in the description this trade only makes sense for you if you sign Markstrom and make Demko expendable. If not then Im sure you will keep him, but if you do then I think this offer might be as good as you will in regards to filling that RD hole WITHOUT taking on any cap
Aug. 21, 2020 at 8:20 p.m.
Quoting: RawZuccSauce420
I'm just saying you don't have to overpay this much when you're sending such a hefty package for guys like Kapanen or Arvidsson or Virtanen. It's really not good for us. It's fine to worry mostly about the present, but it's not good to disregard our entire future. We can be in "win now" mode and pursue success without giving up every valuable asset we have in the process. If we don't put every single chip in now that doesn't necessarily mean we're committed to rebuilding, it just means we're not forfeiting our entire future for the now. Which I think is a good idea. Again, I'm not opposed to moving some picks for good players that will help us, but we can't afford to get rid of prospects like this.

Agreed, but if that's the case don't move Kniazev. He's a guy we specifically moved up in the draft to get. Plus Toronto already has tons of LDH like Sandin, Dermott, Reilly, Muzzin, and Marincin. Replace Kniazev with Roy and it's much better. They have no need for LHD, and we have no reason to give up on him so early.

VAN is going to try to move Sutter, Eriksson, Beagle, Ferland or Roussel before Virtanen. They realize he's finally developed into they player they've expected him to be. From what I've heard, the Canucks have very little interest in moving him. Having the cap to keep Virtanen is highly contingent on Toffoli re-upping with them and honestly I'm not so sure that happens. They're beating the Blues in a playoff series as we speak despite not having Toffoli the entire time. Demko has plenty of value, and I'd be willing to pony up for him, but unless we're getting back Hoglander, Podkolzin Rathbone or Madden, I would have absolutely 0 interest in even considering moving someone of Merkley's caliber. Especially considering that he's our best prospect.

Yeah no for sure Arvidsson could be available and I'd be happy if he was. Just kind of noting that Nashville certainly wouldn't be selling low and Arvidsson. That one I'm fine with if we're paying the right price.

I guess the reason I overpaid a little is because I can see other teams in the league making quality offers for the players as well, so the bit of an overpay is to ensure that they choose to deal with us as opposed to anyone else. Take the TOR deal for example, there are a lot of teams that would offer a 2nd and a solid prospect for Kapanen so why should they choose to trade him to us? Arvidsson would probably get interest from every team in the league if he were put on the market, so we have to offer Labanc and a 1st if were going to compete. The VAN trade is tricky, Merkley is the biggest asset we have to offer so its tough to move him but getting a solid goalie has to be priority number 1. Without a goalie nothing else matters, and I don't think we have enough other pieces to offer for Demko to get it done (obviously not in a 1 for 1, but thats why I put Virtanen in as well to make it worth it). I see your point of course, its not that I would enjoy overpaying lol but its worth it if we can get the players we need to contend for a cup next year.

THAT BEING SAID. If we were to make these trades and still not make the playoffs next year then next offseason I would have an extremely different look on things. At that point I would think its time to move core pieces and get as many picks and prospects as possible, which we certainly could get more than enough of if we put guys like Couture and Hertl on the market. So the only reason Im not worried about picks and prospects right now is because I know we can get them all back if/when we do decide to rebuild. But for this year Im willing to give up whats necessary to get back to being a contender, and I absolutely 100% think its possible

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll