Forums/Armchair-GM

Offseason

Created by: shab101
Team: 2020-21 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Aug. 26, 2020
Published: Aug. 26, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Offense stays about the same, Defense gets a huge upgrade, Goalies get a downgrade but still have picks and prospects to perhaps get someone like Askarov in the draft or make trades mid season if needed.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$925,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,750,000
3$2,000,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$900,000
1$900,000
5$8,750,000
Trades
TOR
  1. Georgiev, Alexandar [RFA Rights]
  2. 2021 4th round pick (OTT)
NYR
  1. Bracco, Jeremy [RFA Rights]
  2. Dermott, Travis [RFA Rights]
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the COL
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the STL
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
20$81,500,000$80,675,616$0$0$824,384
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$11,640,250$11,640,250
C
UFA - 4
$10,903,000$10,903,000
RW
UFA - 5
$821,667$821,667
LW, RW
RFA - 4
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 5
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 4
$925,000$925,000
RW
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$1,750,000$1,750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
Logo of the Minnesota Wild
$1,487,500$1,487,500
C
UFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
LW
UFA - 2
$900,000$900,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$8,750,000$8,750,000
RD
UFA - 7
$2,000,000$2,000,000
G
UFA - 2
$5,625,000$5,625,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 4
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$4,166,666$4,166,666
RD
UFA - 1
$1,650,000$1,650,000
G
UFA - 2
$894,167$894,167
LD
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000
LD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Aug. 26, 2020 at 1:32 p.m.
Trad Breliving
as much as i like the idea.... the oilers are just as cap strapped as the Leafs are.
shab101 liked this.
Aug. 26, 2020 at 1:36 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Kukas26
as much as i like the idea.... the oilers are just as cap strapped as the Leafs are.

That and Larsson legit sucks
Aug. 26, 2020 at 1:37 p.m.
I believe the Wild are very high on Ek. Even though they would be getting a Center back I think Kerfoot is a downgrade from Ek.
Aug. 26, 2020 at 1:40 p.m.
Trad Breliving
Quoting: PleaseBanMeForMyOwnGood
That and Larsson legit sucks

he’s not the worst lol. just a bad year. i think he can rebound
Aug. 26, 2020 at 1:42 p.m.
Servant of Chaos
Rangers decline. Dermott's a bottom 4 Dman and Bracco is literally nothing
Aug. 26, 2020 at 1:44 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Kukas26
he’s not the worst lol. just a bad year. i think he can rebound

No he can't, he didn't have a bad year he had his average year. He just isn't good and never really has been. People just think highly of him because once upon a time he was a high draft pick and he hits and blocks shots. He has never offered much beyond standing in front of his own net and in the Leafs system he would be just as bad as Ceci apart from being better at clearing the front. He can't carry the puck, pass or create and offense at all. He's a pylon, hard pass on Larsson is not at all the player we need.
Aug. 26, 2020 at 1:54 p.m.
AJC13
I think you accidentally forgot to add a good player or a good draft pick that you unintentionally left out of the Georgiev trade?
Aug. 27, 2020 at 10:34 a.m.
shab101
Edited Aug. 27, 2020 at 10:39 a.m.
Quoting: PleaseBanMeForMyOwnGood
No he can't, he didn't have a bad year he had his average year. He just isn't good and never really has been. People just think highly of him because once upon a time he was a high draft pick and he hits and blocks shots. He has never offered much beyond standing in front of his own net and in the Leafs system he would be just as bad as Ceci apart from being better at clearing the front. He can't carry the puck, pass or create and offense at all. He's a pylon, hard pass on Larsson is not at all the player we need.

Larsson is miscast currently on the oilers, having watched him play, he sucks in the 2-3 spot but should be pretty nice upgrade over Holl who we have in the 4-5 spot depending on how you rank the defenseman above. It also clears nearly 6 million in cap space this year (which is used to sign Piet so the trade is more or less cap space to sign piet, high potential prospect and as per you, a cap dump in exchange for a goalie in his last year, underperforming 2 line winger and a third line winger) and if it doesn't work out by the end of next year, we would have cleared a total of 10 million in cap space.

Quoting: AJC13
I think you accidentally forgot to add a good player or a good draft pick that you unintentionally left out of the Georgiev trade?

I think it may also be goalies don't really get much in trade value and also as future reference for you

Goalie 1: 125 gp 77-26-12 (started 54 games in a season) with avg sv% 0.919
Goalie 2: 77 35-31-7 (started 34 games in a season) with avg sv% 0.913

The first goalie was traded for the 30th and 50th over all picks
The latter is being traded for players that went 34th and 61st over all

The players selected with those picks were
Sam steel:
87gp 12-21-33
Maxime Comtois:
39gp 7-11-18

Dermott:
157gp 9-32-41
Bracco:
Happens to be one of the best point producers in the AHL and wasnt able to crack the right wing on a team with Marner-Nylander-Kapanen down the right side (all of which are 1st liner on another team except kapanen who is a second liner)

The first goalie is Fredrik Anderson
The latter is Georigev
Aug. 27, 2020 at 10:56 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: shab101
Larsson is miscast currently on the oilers, having watched him play, he sucks in the 2-3 spot but should be pretty nice upgrade over Holl who we have in the 4-5 spot depending on how you rank the defenseman above. It also clears nearly 6 million in cap space this year (which is used to sign Piet so the trade is more or less cap space to sign piet, high potential prospect and as per you, a cap dump in exchange for a goalie in his last year, underperforming 2 line winger and a third line winger) and if it doesn't work out by the end of next year, we would have cleared a total of 10 million in cap space.

I think it may also be goalies don't really get much in trade value and also as future reference for you

Sam steel:
87gp 12-21-33
Maxime Comtois:
39gp 7-11-18

Dermott:
157gp 9-32-41
Bracco:
Happens to be one of the best point producers in the AHL and wasnt able to crack the right wing on a team with Marner-Nylander-Kapanen down the right side (all of which are 1st liner on another team except kapanen who is a second liner)

The latter is Georigev

Well, Larsson isn't misscast. He just isn't good, he was miscast as a top 4 guy who could blossom into a number 1 when he was traded for Hall and since then he's been average to below average but hits a lot and some people think that means he's good. His team never has the puck when he's on the ice which is why he blocks so many shots and hits so many players. He is miscast as a speed era NHL player. He would be better on a team like the Islanders or other slow defense first teams. Then he can do what he does best and stand in front of the net. As for Pulli, I have said he has potential but his value is not high. He's several years away from being a top end draft pick and won't sign with his current team. Could he be good? Maybe but if he doesn't play in the NHL this season, I doubt he ever will.
Aug. 27, 2020 at 12:34 p.m.
AJC13

Sam steel:
87gp 12-21-33
Maxime Comtois:
39gp 7-11-18

Dermott:
157gp 9-32-41
Bracco:

The latter is Georigev

For a good young goalie with lots of upside, teams would be willing to trade a 1st round pick, or two 2nd's, or a 2nd and a good prospect (like TOR just acquired). As for the "future reference" for me... You (also) left out of the equation that in this years draft a goalie is projected to be drafted in the top 10 - Because the goalie is young and has lots of upside. Though I'm not saying Georgiev's trade value is yet of a top 10 pick.
Aug. 27, 2020 at 12:55 p.m.
shab101
Edited Aug. 27, 2020 at 1:00 p.m.
For a good young goalie with lots of upside, teams would be willing to trade a 1st round pick, or two 2nd's, or a 2nd and a good prospect (like TOR just acquired). As for the "future reference" for me... You (also) left out of the equation that in this years draft a goalie is projected to be drafted in the top 10 - Because the goalie is young and has lots of upside. Though I'm not saying Georgiev's trade value is yet of a top 10 pick.

Lol agreed but that goalie, Askarov (who also happens to be in my description at the very top), is expected to be the next Vasilevski or Price (a perennial Vezina trophy candidate). The second best goalie in the draft is a third round pick. There is huge separation between the two. Now I give the Rangers the benefit of doubt that they would hold on to a perennial Vezina trophy winner than trade him. Reality is Georgiev is a good goalie prospect but as of yet, even if he reaches his full potential, he will likely still be the 5-10th best goalie in the league more likely in the 8-12 range. I am aware that I have two firsts and two seconds as well as a few nice prospects and the easy discussion/reply is "we don't need a second anyways I could add it to the trade", but just because you feel you deserve the moon and the stars for your third best goaltender that everyone in the league seems to know is available doesn't mean you will get that. There were literally reports earlier around the trade deadline that the rangers were asking for a high 2nd round pick and a prospect for him and you guys still seem to have him on your roster for a reason. There are about 5 goalies available through trade, UFA or as you mentioned the draft that are better than him this year alone (Murray, Lehner, Askarov, Markstrom and depending on how much you value cup wins Holtby)
Aug. 27, 2020 at 1:05 p.m.
AJC13
Typo
Aug. 27, 2020 at 1:20 p.m.
AJC13
Lol agreed but that goalie, Askarov (who also happens to be in my description at the very top), is expected to be the next Vasilevski or Price (a perennial Vezina trophy candidate). The second best goalie in the draft is a third round pick. There is huge separation between the two. Now I give the Rangers the benefit of doubt that they would hold on to a perennial Vezina trophy winner than trade him. Reality is Georgiev is a good goalie prospect but as of yet, even if he reaches his full potential, he will likely still be the 5-10th best goalie in the league more likely in the 8-12 range. I am aware that I have two firsts and two seconds as well as a few nice prospects and the easy discussion/reply is "we don't need a second anyways I could add it to the trade", but just because you feel you deserve the moon and the stars for your third best goaltender that everyone in the league seems to know is available doesn't mean you will get that. There were literally reports earlier around the trade deadline that the rangers were asking for a high 2nd round pick and a prospect for him and you guys still seem to have him on your roster for a reason. There are about 5 goalies available through trade, UFA or as you mentioned the draft that are better than him this year alone (Murray, Lehner, Askarov, Markstrom and depending on how much you value cup wins Holtby)

I agree. Not that one could judge a goalie by a 12 NHL game sample size, but if you could... Shesterkin looks like a Vesina candidate. Georgiev currently looks like he's a slight level behind that, though he does have upside to "maybe(?)" progress to that level.

A Leafs fan a few moments ago published the trade of Dermott and Kerfoot for Georgiev, which I very much like. What do you think of the trade?
Aug. 27, 2020 at 1:40 p.m.
shab101
I agree. Not that one could judge a goalie by a 12 NHL game sample size, but if you could... Shesterkin looks like a Vesina candidate. Georgiev currently looks like he's a slight level behind that, though he does have upside to "maybe(?)" progress to that level.

A Leafs fan a few moments ago published the trade of Dermott and Kerfoot for Georgiev, which I very much like. What do you think of the trade?

As someone looking to acquire him I would love for him to develop into a candidate, I just don't see him surpassing Shesterkin, Hart, Jarry or Askarov ever in his career despite his talents. He would be in the second tier of goaltenders that can play the position well but I don't expect he will steal games like those other names might.

I think it is a bit of an overpayment, Kerfoot is a third line center, with an established defensive game and put up 40+ both seasons prior to coming to the Leafs in addition to having cost certainty for the next couple of years. Add in Dermott then it's way too much for me. I would however do Kerfoot for Georigev straight up. You guys get the better player, we get cap space and a good goalie prospect.
Aug. 27, 2020 at 2:28 p.m.
AJC13
As someone looking to acquire him I would love for him to develop into a candidate, I just don't see him surpassing Shesterkin, Hart, Jarry or Askarov ever in his career despite his talents. He would be in the second tier of goaltenders that can play the position well but I don't expect he will steal games like those other names might.

I think it is a bit of an overpayment, Kerfoot is a third line center, with an established defensive game and put up 40+ both seasons prior to coming to the Leafs in addition to having cost certainty for the next couple of years. Add in Dermott then it's way too much for me. I would however do Kerfoot for Georigev straight up. You guys get the better player, we get cap space and a good goalie prospect.

From the trade deadline in 2018 until the 1st or 2nd month at the start of this season, the Rangers I believe let up the most shots on goal by a wide margin. The Rangers D was absolutely horrendous and constantly left Hank and Georgiev out to dry. Most goalies not named Hank would have been broken under such distress. At age 24 (not to be redundant) Georgiev has a lot of upside. Though I'm in agreement that right now he's a level behind Shesterkin, Hart, Jarry, Askarov, etc, but I wouldn't be completely shocked if one day he's at that level.

I would think Georgiev is worth at least two 2nd round picks or at the very least a 2nd and 3rd round pick. Dermott was a 2nd round pick and Kerfoot in trade would probably fetch a 2nd or 3rd round pick. So I think it's a fair trade.
Aug. 27, 2020 at 2:48 p.m.
shab101
From the trade deadline in 2018 until the 1st or 2nd month at the start of this season, the Rangers I believe let up the most shots on goal by a wide margin. The Rangers D was absolutely horrendous and constantly left Hank and Georgiev out to dry. Most goalies not named Hank would have been broken under such distress. At age 24 (not to be redundant) Georgiev has a lot of upside. Though I'm in agreement that right now he's a level behind Shesterkin, Hart, Jarry, Askarov, etc, but I wouldn't be completely shocked if one day he's at that level.

I would think Georgiev is worth at least two 2nd round picks or at the very least a 2nd and 3rd round pick. Dermott was a 2nd round pick and Kerfoot in trade would probably fetch a 2nd or 3rd round pick. So I think it's a fair trade.

The defense was pretty bad last year for your team, I think on average though Georgiev faced 31 shots a game and I bet they were more dangerous chances due to the porous D. My plan with this team would be to make minor moves to see if we can nab Askarov with the first we have and then from there have Georigev back him up in a couple years.

As for Kerfoot, he actually has a better ppg then kapanen (0.51 vs 0.44) over their careers (222gp to 202 gp). I could argue that Kerfoot played with Mackinnon in Colorado and the Kapanen at different time played with Matthews, Tavares so it would wash out the line mates argument. Kapenen is much more speedy with potential of being a good second line player (50 points/season) and Kerfoot is much more complete as a player giving you one of if not the best 3D in the league at that price point. I am not saying Kerfoot is worth a middle first round pick, a former second round prospect and depth players but at minimum he would be a low first to the right team or a high second and a prospect.
Aug. 27, 2020 at 3:10 p.m.
AJC13
The defense was pretty bad last year for your team, I think on average though Georgiev faced 31 shots a game and I bet they were more dangerous chances due to the porous D. My plan with this team would be to make minor moves to see if we can nab Askarov with the first we have and then from there have Georigev back him up in a couple years.

As for Kerfoot, he actually has a better ppg then kapanen (0.51 vs 0.44) over their careers (222gp to 202 gp). I could argue that Kerfoot played with Mackinnon in Colorado and the Kapanen at different time played with Matthews, Tavares so it would wash out the line mates argument. Kapenen is much more speedy with potential of being a good second line player (50 points/season) and Kerfoot is much more complete as a player giving you one of if not the best 3D in the league at that price point. I am not saying Kerfoot is worth a middle first round pick, a former second round prospect and depth players but at minimum he would be a low first to the right team or a high second and a prospect.

Thank you for your assessment of Dermott. I don't see him play as much as Leafs fans and thought of him as a solid up and coming D-man who hadn't increased or decreased his 2nd round pick trade value.

The big difference between Kerfoot and Kapanen (other than Kerfoot being a solid 2 way center) is that Kerfoot is technically age 28 why Kapanen is 24. Thus Kapanan has much more upside, especially if he plays with Crosby or Malkin. While Kerfoot is what you see is what you get.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll