Forums/Armchair-GM

TOR Trade Assests, Asks ,Offers

Created by: TML_GM
Team: 2016-17 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Oct. 26, 2016
Published: Oct. 26, 2016
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
This is NOT a "fire sale" reaction to a blowout loss, I'm just curious on potential returns/interest from other team's fan bases in Leaf players.

So, here is a list of Leafs that I estimate are available for trade and estimated asks (not necessarily returns).

The Leafs aren't trying to ship these guys out, but they would be available at the right price. For example, the Leafs likely have more appetite to move Holland than Kadri, but at the right price either could be had.

Interested in a player not on the list (i.e. JVR), let me know and I'll add a value. That said, I won't be adding Matthews, Marner or Nylander as they are most likely not available for anything outside of ridiculous asks at this point.

Any buried vet can be assumed to have zero or negative value and will not be added. Assume a 7th pick or similar contract in a more desired position of need as an exchange for those players (Laich, Michalek and Greening).

Roster/lines represent how it would be filled out if all these players were missing from within. It does not account for incoming players. Nor does it mean that all the playesr listed will/should be moved and replaced via the AHL roster.

Not interested in "no way they trade this guy" or "that ask is too high", interested in legitimate proposals from fans of other teams for these players.
Trades
TOR
    ANA is a placeholder team

Player:
    25 y/o natural Center on a 1-year deal (RFA)
    Offensively minded, good size/speed
    Primarily a shooter
    Good on the PP
    Can play all forward positions
    Can play anywhere from 2nd to 4th line depending on need
    Market value contract, short term.

Ask:
    A) 3rd Round Pick
    B) ELC player with upside (RD/C)
    C) Serviceable young (under 25) defensive NHL 4th liner with size who can PK, play physical, and has some speed
    C) Don't like the ask, make a counter proposal.

NOTE: Leafs needs organizationally are top 4 RHD, ELC offensive centers and defensemen, picks. They are not interested in 30+ y/o vets with expensive contracts. If you are including one as a dump, be willing to pay for that.
    TOR

Player:
      40-50 point Center
      26 y/o with some growth left - could top out at 20-25G/35-40A player
      Primarily a playmaker but can find the back of the net
      Improving face-off skills
      Can play anywhere from 1C to 3C depending on need, ideally a 2C
      Market value or lower contract, long term through 2021-22

Ask:
      A) 1st Round Pick + A prospect
      B) Young, high caliber expansion exempt roster player (RD/C)
      C) Top 2, defensive/2-way RHD between age 26 and 28 with some term
      D) Don't like the ask, make a counter proposal.

NOTE: Leafs needs organizationally are top 4 RHD, ELC offensive centers and defensemen, picks. They are not interested in 30+ y/o vets with expensive contracts. If you are including one as a dump, be willing to pay for that.
      TOR

Player:
        Bottom pairing RHD, that can play 2nd pairing in short stints
        Physical player, good leader
        Slightly above market value contract, but short term through end of 2016-17

Ask:
        A) 3rd round pick
        B) Two 4th round picks
        C) Young expansion exempt AHL player (RD/C)

TOR

Player:
          30-40 point winger, can take draws if needed
          Primarily a grinder (hits, plays PK, aggitates, leader)
          Can score goals, good in front of the net
          Great defensively
          Can play anywhere from 1st line to 3rd line depending on need
          Below market value contract, short term through 2018-19

Ask:
          A) 1st Round pick
          B) 2nd Round Pick + B prospect
          C) Young expansion exempt roster player with upside (RD/C) + 3rd
          D) Top 4, defensive/2-way RHD between age 26 and 28 with some term
          E) Don't like the ask, make a counter proposal.

TOR

Player:
            40-50 point Center
            Primarily a play-maker
            Decent defensively
            Great on face-offs
            Can play anywhere from 1C to 3C depending on need
            Market value contract, short term through 2017-18

Ask:
            A) 1st Round pick
            B) 2nd Round Pick + B prospect
            C) Young expansion exempt roster player with upside (RD/C) + 3rd
            D) Top 4, defensive/2-way RHD between age 26 and 28 with some term
            E) Don't like the ask, make a counter proposal.

TOR

Player:
              Bottom pairing LHD, that can play 2nd pairing in short stints
              Defensive minded, good leader,good PKer
              Market value contract, short term through end of 2016-17

Ask:
              A) 4th round pick
              B) Two 5th round picks
              C) Young expansion exempt AHL player (RD/C)

Buyouts
              Retained Salary Transactions
              Buried
              DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
              Logo of the TOR
              Logo of the TOR
              Logo of the SJS
              Logo of the OTT
              Logo of the TOR
              Logo of the TOR
              Logo of the TOR
              Logo of the TOR
              Logo of the TOR
              Logo of the TOR
              Logo of the SJS
              Logo of the SJS
              Logo of the TOR
              Logo of the TOR
              Logo of the TOR
              Logo of the TOR
              Logo of the TOR
              Logo of the TOR
              Logo of the TOR
              Logo of the TOR
              Logo of the TOR
              Logo of the TOR
              Logo of the TOR
              ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
              22$73,000,000$45,224,499$512,000$5,847,500$27,775,501

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
              $4,250,000$4,250,000
              LW, RW
              M-NTC
              UFA - 2
              $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
              C
              UFA - 3
              $894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
              RW
              UFA - 3
              $863,333$863,333
              RW
              UFA - 3
              $894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
              RW
              UFA - 2
              $686,667$686,667 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
              RW, LW
              UFA - 1
              $612,500$612,500
              RW, LW
              UFA - 2
              $625,000$625,000
              RW, C
              UFA - 1
              $900,000$900,000
              RW, LW
              UFA - 1
              $2,500,000$2,500,000
              LW, RW
              UFA - 4
              $675,000$675,000
              RW, C
              UFA - 1
              $736,666$736,666 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
              RW
              UFA - 2
              $863,333$863,333
              C
              UFA - 2
              Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
              $5,000,000$5,000,000
              LD
              UFA - 6
              $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
              RD
              UFA - 1
              $5,000,000$5,000,000
              G
              UFA - 5
              $4,050,000$4,050,000
              LD
              UFA - 3
              $750,000$750,000
              G
              UFA - 1
              $1,250,000$1,250,000
              LD
              UFA - 2
              $750,000$750,000
              RD
              UFA - 2
              $778,333$778,333 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
              LD
              UFA - 2
              $600,000$600,000
              RD
              UFA - 1
              ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
              $5,250,000$5,250,000
              LW, RW
              M-NTC
              UFA - 2
              $3,000,000$3,000,000
              RD
              M-NTC
              UFA - 1
              $5,300,000$5,300,000
              RW
              NMC
              UFA - 4

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
              • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
              Oct. 26, 2016 at 2:23 p.m.
              CBJ Fan
              As much as the CBJ could use centers, I don't see CBJ and TOR being good partners at this point considering they both want to get younger and faster. Probably nothing that either team could offer that would draw consideration. I like this set up though.
              Oct. 26, 2016 at 2:38 p.m.
              Your values seem way too high. Boazk is a 2/3C, Komarov is a quality 3rd liner, Kadri is a 2C.

Kadri might be worth a late first (his contract is nice), plus I think you're better off keeping him. Bozak/Komarov a mid 2nd at the TDL maybe.
              Oct. 26, 2016 at 2:46 p.m.
              leafs1967again
              My take so others get both half-truths before being over/under sold on players:

1. Holland isn’t even worth a 3rd round pick. He is barely an NHL player on a poor team. We are probably stuck with him. Leafs got him for basically what you think he is worth now. Problem is he hasn’t developed. Can not play on the 2nd line. Most likely a depth F on a bad team. Should not be anywhere near the PP on a playoff team. I say a 4th or 5th rounder.
              2. Kadri has not proven to be “improving” on his faceoffs. You must have listened to the leafs 3rd game where they suggested based on 2 games he was better. He sits at 48.9% vs 49.2% last year. Long way to go before suggesting he turned the corner. Also, with his deal, not worth the ask. The deal is around market value but is very long and he has not been good thus far. Off ice issues make me think no one else would trade a good asset for him. 1st round pick + A prospect? Luck to get 1 of those IMO. Top 2 dman? Probably not close. Think a #4.
              3. Polak can not play on the 2nd pairing. He was exposed as a 6/7 in SJ last year. He is barely a #6 at this point. Contract is OK for a vet though. Ask seems reasonable.
              4. Leo can not play on the 1st line unless the team is well…our beloved leafs or a comparable team. He is a 3rd liner on a good to great team. Too expensive for many contenders close to the cap. Contract is ok. He is worth a 2nd to other teams, more to us.
              5. Bozak is about what you described. I think he is worth a 2nd + a B prospect. A 1st is a lot to ask.
              6. Hunwick is a #7/AHL depth dman. Nothing more. Should expect a 5th or 6th unless teams are desperate. LHD aren’t worth as much

I'm not sure TML NEED ELC C's. They have the option to try Nylander there. Could use a depth C for cheap though.
              Oct. 26, 2016 at 4:31 p.m.
              Armchair GM Addict
              Remember these are "Asks", not "Values". You don't put something up on Kijiji for $100 and expect someone to pay that, you see how long it sits and if someone offered you $60, you take it rather than having it sit in your garage because winter is coming and you want to put your car in there. As much as I would love to break down each player in depth and go into great detail, when the first post in reply is "Holy words" it doesn't seem worth it. But I do appreciate a rather in-depth reply.

I'll break it down here, though really the point was to see what represntative from other fan bases others would be interested in.

Quoting: leafs1967again
              1. Holland isn’t even worth a 3rd round pick. He is barely an NHL player on a poor team. We are probably stuck with him. Leafs got him for basically what you think he is worth now. Problem is he hasn’t developed. Can not play on the 2nd line. Most likely a depth F on a bad team. Should not be anywhere near the PP on a playoff team. I say a 4th or 5th rounder.

This doesn't mean he is a second liner, it would be based on need. He can slot in and fill a 2nd line wing role on a short term basis if a top 6 guy goes down. Ideally to me, he can be an effective 3rd line winger if he finds a good fit with line mates. He doesn't work well in Babcock's system, but he could be decent in another coach's system. He put up decent numbers on the PP last year in limited use if I recall. He has a great shot. He's a "tools but no toolbox" sort of player. At his price tag and short term commitment he has value to a team that needs to plug some holes on the cheap (due to injury) and doesn't have an internal option. This is exactly how he ended up in Toronto. I'd take a 4th or a equivalent defensive forward for the fourth line.

2. Kadri has not proven to be “improving” on his faceoffs. You must have listened to the leafs 3rd game where they suggested based on 2 games he was better. He sits at 48.9% vs 49.2% last year. Long way to go before suggesting he turned the corner. Also, with his deal, not worth the ask. The deal is around market value but is very long and he has not been good thus far. Off ice issues make me think no one else would trade a good asset for him. 1st round pick + A prospect? Luck to get 1 of those IMO. Top 2 dman? Probably not close. Think a #4.

You got me there, I didn't research the faceoffs was going by eye test and some conversations with friends (who likely picked it up from the broadcast). Off-ice issues are not of the ilk to scare away teams or reduce his value. It's not like he's Evander Kane here. This is a case of the ask (based on the Leafs desire to move him) being higher than the "value". However, in a scenario where a team finds itself with a need for a cost-effective top-6 center, perhaps he is worth somewhere between your value and my ask.

3. Polak can not play on the 2nd pairing. He was exposed as a 6/7 in SJ last year. He is barely a #6 at this point. Contract is OK for a vet though. Ask seems reasonable.

"Short stints" on second pairing, as in spot duty here or there due to injury. He's definitely not a 2nd pair D man. He's the sort of guy teams love to add for depth at the deadline or when they think they need to "be more physical on the back end". He'd be a regular bottom pairing guy for a more than a few teams over what they have now around the league.

4. Leo can not play on the 1st line unless the team is well…our beloved leafs or a comparable team. He is a 3rd liner on a good to great team. Too expensive for many contenders close to the cap. Contract is ok. He is worth a 2nd to other teams, more to us.

Again, not claiming he's a 1st liner, but he can slot in there if required on a team with a hole. He has a lot of "intangibles" (yes, people hate that word) that contenders desire and often overpay for at the TDL. Would take more than a 2nd to pry him off the Leafs, hence the high ask. I'd settle for two seconds or a second and an okay prospect in a position of need.

5. Bozak is about what you described. I think he is worth a 2nd + a B prospect. A 1st is a lot to ask.

Hey, we agree on something. I'd take that for Bozak on a counter. I think they could juice a 1st out of a team with a need for his skills, cap space and a deep prospect system at the deadline.

6. Hunwick is a #7/AHL depth dman. Nothing more. Should expect a 5th or 6th unless teams are desperate. LHD aren’t worth as much

Hunwick's value 5 games ago was higher than it is now. He is what he is and that's a bottom pairing guy that can give you good minutes in the right situations. That is not how he has been deployed this season with the Leafs. Perfect depth guy for a playoff team or a team with a top 4 that eats minutes. I'd accept a 5th and 7th for him. Never hurts to stock up on "garbage round" picks with an improved scouting staff.

I'm not sure TML NEED ELC C's. They have the option to try Nylander there. Could use a depth C for cheap though.

Targeting ELC centers due to a lack of long-term depth there in the AHL. If Bozak/Holland are moved, then Gauthier likely comes up at the end of the season on his "trial period". Marlies are left with Laich, Smith, Cliche, Froese and Moore who can play C. Not a lot of bright future there or guys to help the prospect wingers excel.
              Oct. 26, 2016 at 5:11 p.m.
              LongtimeLeafsufferer
              Isn't it kinda ridiculous (I'm being polite) to trade six of your 19 players on your roster and getting nothing immediate in return. Do you really think the Leafs would be better off this season?
              You have two waiver claims Griffith and Smith playing 3rd and 4th centre, Gauthier with the Leafs instead of playing in the AHL, Really want Corrado as regular all year and Valiev should be playing in the AHL this year.
              This is no way to build a team. And those trades.....realizing that come next June, teams are going top have limitations on who they protect.
              Holland your description makes him sound like a near all star, not a third round pick. Although I admit come TDL, Holland might get traded.
              Komarov is one of the few Leafs with true sandpaper and apparently is well respected by his teammates. Still a good chance is he isn't protected by the Leafs in the June. Doubt if he gets the return you ask.
              Bozak, IMO is needed as a mentor as least this season for Matthews and others. He likely won't be protected come June, making his asking price rather high
              Kadri: Wanna get rid of your 3 of 4 centres Holland. Bozak, Kadri and have Nylander who is a RWer this season, along with Matthews and the above mentioned Smith (a RWer) and Griffith (mostly a winger) as your centres this year. God awful.
              Hunwick and Polak I admit have an excellent change of being gone by TDL. But still aren't they good guys to have right now on the team?
              These trades look like....We're not going to win the Cup this year, so we strip down a quarter of roster now...and really don't get much in return. What happens next year? No winning the Cup again, a month in the season, six more guys are traded.
              Oct. 26, 2016 at 5:15 p.m.
              Quoting: palhal
              Isn't it kinda ridiculous (I'm being polite) to trade six of your 19 players on your roster and getting nothing immediate in return. Do you really think the Leafs would be better off this season?
              You have two waiver claims Griffith and Smith playing 3rd and 4th centre, Gauthier with the Leafs instead of playing in the AHL, Really want Corrado as regular all year and Valiev should be playing in the AHL this year.
              This is no way to build a team. And those trades.....realizing that come next June, teams are going top have limitations on who they protect.
              Holland your description makes him sound like a near all star, not a third round pick. Although I admit come TDL, Holland might get traded.
              Komarov is one of the few Leafs with true sandpaper and apparently is well respected by his teammates. Still a good chance is he isn't protected by the Leafs in the June. Doubt if he gets the return you ask.
              Bozak, IMO is needed as a mentor as least this season for Matthews and others. He likely won't be protected come June, making his asking price rather high
              Kadri: Wanna get rid of your 3 of 4 centres Holland. Bozak, Kadri and have Nylander who is a RWer this season, along with Matthews and the above mentioned Smith (a RWer) and Griffith (mostly a winger) as your centres this year. God awful.
              Hunwick and Polak I admit have an excellent change of being gone by TDL. But still aren't they good guys to have right now on the team?
              These trades look like....We're not going to win the Cup this year, so we strip down a quarter of roster now...and really don't get much in return. What happens next year? No winning the Cup again, a month in the season, six more guys are traded.

I call dibs on Matthews. squinty smile
              Oct. 26, 2016 at 5:22 p.m.
              LongtimeLeafsufferer
              Good point wabit. Since these trades are "asks', should the Leafs ask for McDavid for Holland? Holland must be better player cause he gets paid more.
              I really don't like this mass "placeholder" trades. Be nice to know who could afford the cap space, or just indicate with true needs of these players.
              Oct. 26, 2016 at 5:36 p.m.
              Love this concept OP! We should start thread section in the forum dedicated to trade negotiating. Would be awesome (As long as people took it seriously I guess)

Regarding the returns you're asking for:

Holland - Don't expect very much, the guy was on waivers and no one picked him up. I honestly think the best you can ask for at this point is another player of equal value who also is in the same type of situation. Only difference would be that we would be trading positions of strength. So think Holland for a RH 6-7th dman. Guessing by the demand across the league for and Dman who is RH, I think you might not even get that. I think your best bet is a draft pick at the trade deadline to give teams a depth player. Probably a 5th-7th rounder.

Kadri - This one could fetch a pretty good return as Kadri has some decent upside. Since you're looking for RH dmen, I'll stick with that scenario. I would say a player of the likes of Trouba is too high. Since a player like Hall got EDM Larsson, I would think you'd have to go even below that. This will be subject to preference so if I had to give an offer, I would think something along the lines of a Jonas Brodin and a 2-4th round pick. Once again its something along those lines. Also I'm sure there's a deal to be made for picks and prospects only but that is completely up to the person's preference.

Polak - Since not much has changed since last year, think pretty much what T.O got at the deadline. But since Polak got exposed in the playoffs last year quite a bit, the fact that he's one year older and that people generally think that T.O made it out like bandits in that trade last year - I think you'd get less. A 3rd rounder could be your best bet and you might need to retain a bit of salary.

Komarov - This could be one of those really smart selloff as team will be looking for solid 2-3rd liners and with so many being hard and expensive to attain, Komarov may be a the best bet. I think if a team is desperate enough you might be lucky enough to get a 1st rounder. Although I think since the gaustad for a 1st trade a couple years ago, teams have smartened up. A 2nd a B-Prospect might be more realistic. For example if it was MTL, let's say our 2nd rounder and Brett Lernout.

Bozak - Pretty much the same thing as Komarov but since Bozak is more expensive and has a longer term by one year. I think if you want a 2nd rounder and a pick, you'll need to retain about 1M for this year and next. Obviously a team that is struck by injuries at center and is poised to make a playoff run might be willing to up the ante but let's just presume that is not the case.

Hunwick - Solid vet pickup for depth for the playoffs. Him being able to play the right side helps also. Once again depending on how desperate the team is, a 2nd or 3rd might be possible a prospect of equal value to a 2nd or 3rd round pick.
              Oct. 26, 2016 at 10:15 p.m.
              LeafsLifer
              I gave you 5 stars, because clearly there was time and effort that went into this, although I think the ask for SOME of the players her is a bit high.
              Oct. 27, 2016 at 12:57 a.m.
              Marco (yes I know you said " something along the lines of a Jonas Brodin") smile. You're really undervaluing Brodin. Kadari doesn't really fit with the Wild as a $4.5m 3C (Staal and Koivu are better options for 1/2C).

He's carrying his pairing (Folin looks like a solid 4D instead of a 6/7D), and tripped over the blue line (or something) and realized there is a whole other end of the ice to play on. 4p in 7 games this year, and looks like a different player.

Scott Stevens working his magic like he did in NJD with Larsson. He's even got Dumba playing solid defense.
              Oct. 27, 2016 at 8:35 a.m.
              I like the idea of this post, very fun and engaging, I want it to be clear that I am biased, and do not speak on behalf of any other teams or fan bases; a couple ideas:

1. I think Holland does have value but what it is could be a mystery, Brandon Pirri fetched a 6th round pick last year. A return I think would be beneficial would be Fehr and a 7th from Pittsburgh. They don't seem to use Fehr a whole lot and have expressed mild interest in Holland in the past. This alleviates some cap concerns from them as Holland has a lower cap hit and only 1 year. Pittsburgh adds to their offensive lineup and we get a more proper veteran 4th line center.

2. I think Kadri has more value to us at the moment than another team would. I can't really think of a team that could use Kadri (maybe Nashville?). Most teams don't seem to need a center at the moment, although that could change.

3. I think you're ask for Polak is spot on. I think his value will also depend on how much he plays (If he's rotating and only plays 40 games that might lower it. Many people trash him and that's fine, but come trade deadline, a right handed shot blocking defenseman with some experience will be wanted.

4. Again I think Komarov provides us with much more value than he could with another team. I think it would be difficult for another team to pony up a first for a third liner. And although he's very versitile and can slide up the lineup, it's what he is. I think you could get an young emerging defenseman with limited upside (B prospect) for him, in which case I think Komarov would be more beneficial to keep.

5. I think it's hard to label Bozak a 2nd line or a 3rd line centerman. I think it's safe to call him a middle six centerman, and someone who will make your team better. Again many teams aren't giving up first round picks anymore so I'm not sure if it would be possible. I think the centerman market right now isn't very hot so I don't think he has a TON of value. I think we would be lucky to get a no. 4 defenseman for him.

6. I think it's hard to put a price on Hunwick, he's scrutunized by many fans and analysts but he's Babcocks favourite. I could see anywhere from a 2nd (I know lofty and unrealistic expectations) to a 6th.
              Oct. 27, 2016 at 8:43 a.m.
              LongtimeLeafsufferer
              LeafsFan and others: Although the trades might be fair (that's subjective), I would consider it reckless on the Leafs part to get rid of so many players early in the season....and especially the trades of Bozak and Kadri and anytime this year. Competent players are still needed on the team and to think Griffth, Smith can be a positive force (playing big minutes) on even a building team is incorrect The goal of a team, even a rebuilding team is to win,
              Oct. 27, 2016 at 8:57 a.m.
              LeafsFan and others: Although the trades might be fair (that's subjective), I would consider it reckless on the Leafs part to get rid of so many players early in the season....and especially the trades of Bozak and Kadri and anytime this year. Competent players are still needed on the team and to think Griffth, Smith can be a positive force (playing big minutes) on even a building team is incorrect The goal of a team, even a rebuilding team is to win,

No you're right I don't think we should be trading away Kadri, Bozak, or Komarov at all! He just wanted to know value wise. I think our strength up the middle is something we can finally be happy with and to trade that away I don't think is a great idea. Especially given our lack of center depth outside of the Leafs (AHL and prospects)
              Oct. 27, 2016 at 9:03 a.m.
              leafs1967again
              Quoting: TML_GM
              Remember these are "Asks", not "Values". You don't put something up on Kijiji for $100 and expect someone to pay that, you see how long it sits and if someone offered you $60, you take it rather than having it sit in your garage because winter is coming and you want to put your car in there. As much as I would love to break down each player in depth and go into great detail, when the first post in reply is "Holy words" it doesn't seem worth it. But I do appreciate a rather in-depth reply.

I'll break it down here, though really the point was to see what represntative from other fan bases others would be interested in.

This doesn't mean he is a second liner, it would be based on need. He can slot in and fill a 2nd line wing role on a short term basis if a top 6 guy goes down. Ideally to me, he can be an effective 3rd line winger if he finds a good fit with line mates. He doesn't work well in Babcock's system, but he could be decent in another coach's system. He put up decent numbers on the PP last year in limited use if I recall. He has a great shot. He's a "tools but no toolbox" sort of player. At his price tag and short term commitment he has value to a team that needs to plug some holes on the cheap (due to injury) and doesn't have an internal option. This is exactly how he ended up in Toronto. I'd take a 4th or a equivalent defensive forward for the fourth line.

You got me there, I didn't research the faceoffs was going by eye test and some conversations with friends (who likely picked it up from the broadcast). Off-ice issues are not of the ilk to scare away teams or reduce his value. It's not like he's Evander Kane here. This is a case of the ask (based on the Leafs desire to move him) being higher than the "value". However, in a scenario where a team finds itself with a need for a cost-effective top-6 center, perhaps he is worth somewhere between your value and my ask.

"Short stints" on second pairing, as in spot duty here or there due to injury. He's definitely not a 2nd pair D man. He's the sort of guy teams love to add for depth at the deadline or when they think they need to "be more physical on the back end". He'd be a regular bottom pairing guy for a more than a few teams over what they have now around the league.

Again, not claiming he's a 1st liner, but he can slot in there if required on a team with a hole. He has a lot of "intangibles" (yes, people hate that word) that contenders desire and often overpay for at the TDL. Would take more than a 2nd to pry him off the Leafs, hence the high ask. I'd settle for two seconds or a second and an okay prospect in a position of need.

Hey, we agree on something. I'd take that for Bozak on a counter. I think they could juice a 1st out of a team with a need for his skills, cap space and a deep prospect system at the deadline.

Hunwick's value 5 games ago was higher than it is now. He is what he is and that's a bottom pairing guy that can give you good minutes in the right situations. That is not how he has been deployed this season with the Leafs. Perfect depth guy for a playoff team or a team with a top 4 that eats minutes. I'd accept a 5th and 7th for him. Never hurts to stock up on "garbage round" picks with an improved scouting staff.

Targeting ELC centers due to a lack of long-term depth there in the AHL. If Bozak/Holland are moved, then Gauthier likely comes up at the end of the season on his "trial period". Marlies are left with Laich, Smith, Cliche, Froese and Moore who can play C. Not a lot of bright future there or guys to help the prospect wingers excel.

1. I believe Holland cleared waivers in the offseason and no one took him for free? I honestly think we are trying to overvalue a type of guy that can be found in every system. This is my concern with the ask. Glad we agree on the 4th/5th. This may be even too high but a good target especially at the deadline.
              2. Kadri is a good player. Just a big commitment for a team. Hard to imagine giving him all that money then trading him.
              3. I just hate Polak a lot. I think he brings nothing besides physicality. He looked so bad on SJ that I felt bad for him and them.
              4. I think we agree. Likely not getting a 1st but a 2nd + another pick or B prospect is definitely doable.
              5. Always hard to gauge a players value when looking at a late 1st vs a 2nd round pick. I still say they can't get a 1st but dumber trades have happened.
              6. Don't like Hunwick at all.

Overall I think we are basically on 2 ends of the spectrum. I think we agree on that!
              Oct. 27, 2016 at 9:04 a.m.
              leafs1967again

Agree - I would move Bozak at any point though. At the TDL I think it would be appropriate to shop Holland, Polak and Hunwick if anyone is willing to take them on.
              Oct. 27, 2016 at 5:58 p.m.
              Quoting: wabit
              Marco (yes I know you said " something along the lines of a Jonas Brodin") smile. You're really undervaluing Brodin. Kadari doesn't really fit with the Wild as a $4.5m 3C (Staal and Koivu are better options for 1/2C).

He's carrying his pairing (Folin looks like a solid 4D instead of a 6/7D), and tripped over the blue line (or something) and realized there is a whole other end of the ice to play on. 4p in 7 games this year, and looks like a different player.

Scott Stevens working his magic like he did in NJD with Larsson. He's even got Dumba playing solid defense.

Kadri is as much as i hate him, a pretty good player. He's playing for the lowly Leafs in case you forgot. Play him with capable players and he will produce good numbers and he's still young and signed to cap friendly contract. I think your undervaluing Kadri here. Staal has taken a huge step backwards from his 80 pt days. He'll be a 50pt guy this year at best. Koivu is still decent but he too is aging and more than likely will never hit the high totals he did when he was younger. Not to mention those 2 guys will start to fade into obscurity while Kadri will still be in his prime. Minny has been clamoring for a #1 center and Kadri maybe the closest thing to that they can get without overpaying on the free agent market. Not too mention that Minny has depth already on defence.

As for Brodin, we'll see. Lets circle back in April. Until then he is still and offensively challenged top 4 dman at best. 4p in 7 games means nothing. Patrick Weircoch has 5pts in 5 games. No one will be calling for the Norris trophy for this guy. Like i said though, I'm holding out for more proof until the end of the year. If puts up 30 pts this year i will definitely change my opinion of him.

To create a post please Login or Register
              Question:
              Options:
              Add Option
              Submit Poll