Forums/Armchair-GM

TDL Moves and Targets Id like to see

Created by: RazWild
Team: 2020-21 Minnesota Wild
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 14, 2021
Published: Feb. 14, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
These are just the moves I'd like to see.

Johansson has actually been better this year, so far. I might make that trade just 1v1, as Gusev has not played well this year at all. A change of scenery could do him some good.

Danault has also been underwhelming to start the year, and been passed up by the youngsters. A bottom six replacement center, promising young LW'er and a 2nd rounder is fair given his current level of play right now.

Currently my favorite Bonino to the Aves trade, plus I just really like Jost.

My favorite Dumba deal. I could see the 1st becoming a 2nd due to Ghost's recent improvement, but I'd try to get the 1st if we could.

With Dumba gone the Wild would go the 7-3-1 route in the Expansion Draft.

The basic idea is to stock up on young centers with upside and have enough options that whomever is taken from those who are exposed doesn’t make a difference if they are.

Basically make it tough to pick an exposed forward or between Gostisbehere or Soucy.
Trades
NJD
  1. Johansson, Marcus
  2. 2022 4th round pick (MIN)
MTL
  1. Beckman, Adam
  2. Bjugstad, Nick
  3. 2021 2nd round pick (MIN)
MIN
  1. Jost, Tyson
  2. 2022 3rd round pick (COL)
COL
  1. Bonino, Nick ($2,000,000 retained)
MIN
  1. Frost, Morgan
  2. Gostisbehere, Shayne
  3. 2021 1st round pick (PHI)
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the COL
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$73,531,882$0$925,000$7,968,118
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the New Jersey Devils
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$3,083,333$3,083,333
C
UFA - 1
Logo of the Minnesota Wild
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$925,000$925K)
LW
UFA - 1
$1,487,500$1,487,500
C
UFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RW, LW
NMC
UFA - 4
$7,538,462$7,538,462
LW
NMC
UFA - 5
Logo of the Colorado Avalanche
$874,125$874,125
C
UFA - 1
$2,100,000$2,100,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$2,875,000$2,875,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$725,000$725,000
C
UFA - 2
$1,900,000$1,900,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,538,462$7,538,462
LD
NMC
UFA - 5
$7,575,000$7,575,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 7
$3,666,667$3,666,667
G
UFA - 3
$4,166,667$4,166,667
LD
NMC
UFA - 1
Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LD/RD
UFA - 3
$725,000$725,000
G
UFA - 2
$3,450,000$3,450,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LD/RD
UFA - 3
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$2,000,000$2,000,000
C
UFA - 2
$785,000$785,000
G
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000
C
RFA - 5
$700,000$700,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers
$863,333$863,333
C
RFA - 2
Taxi Squad
$700,000$700,000 ($0$0$0$0)
RD
UFA - 1
$795,000$795,000 ($0$0$0$0) (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
RD
RFA - 3
LW, C
UFA - 1
C, RW
UFA - 1
LD/RD
UFA - 1
C
UFA - 1
G
UFA - 1
RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 15, 2021 at 9:08 a.m.
John 3 16
Quoting: ModanoisCool
Not what I said. Read it again. Minnesota has two possibly 3 c role filled up with Rossi, Sturm & Joel Erickson ek.

When looking at wikd wingers, / Prospects; Unless wild can move one of Parise or Zuccarello, they have no room. Like for example, wild moved Zucker to make room for kaprizov in top 4.

Adam Beckman, Matt Boldy are possibly 1-2years away, Maybe 3 max. If wild decide to trade bonino for Jost, where is the room for him?

Parise, Fiala
Zuccarello , Johansson/ Kaprizov
Greenway/Foligno
Marcus Johansson, Zuccarello / Hartman

Quoting: jnowariak
He’d be expansion bait. Otherwise he’d play a similar role as he does in COL, Hartman will probably be traded for cap reasons.

Quoting: RazWild
Bingo! You're catching on, my friend!

After this year we would let Hartman walk, he's due a raise and is Arbitration eligible. He'll be more expensive, while Jost isn't and probably gets paid slightly less than Hartman does now.

Quoting: RazWild
He isn't, but he at least has NHL experience and some time spent in Philadelphia's top six on their second line, where he looked solid. Like you my concern with him is if he can stick on the NHL roster next year, and that kinda determines which moves happen and which get held off.

But yes, the name of the game is we're doing it to stock up on center depth but at the same deepen it by making it better overall.

Overall plan for next year would be as follows.

1) Move Hartman or just let him walk, pay Jost and give him Hartman's spot in the lineup. Jost takes over the role left by Johansson due to his same ability to play all three forward positions. Which is why I like the thought of getting Jost so much!

2) Depending on whether both Rossi and Frost is ready to make the team next year, move Sturm, and buyout Rask as well.

If one of them isn't, keep Sturm, and send whomever it is to play in the AHL instead.

If neither are ready, keep both Sturm and Rask on the roster.

Quoting: jnowariak

I was gonna say exactly what @RazWild said. Minnesota have a few older guys on expiring contracts who won't be returning (i.e. Bonino, Johansson, Hartman, etc), so there's absolutely room for Jost.

Jost's defensive metrics and PK ability make him valuable at a low caphit. He's also a really hard worker and works hard at the details and has shown some improvement on faceoffs this season. A lot of players take a few years to figure out how to win draws, like Bonino for example - have a look at his FO% in his first 4-5 years compared to afterwards.

Jost is a really solid bottom 6 forward to have on your team, which is why Avs fans in this thread aren't too enamoured with the idea of moving him, especially for a rental.
jnowariak and RazWild liked this.
Feb. 15, 2021 at 10:08 a.m.
If i'm Habs GM, I would say yes!

- Bjugstad can help right now and add size to the line up. (and add space on salary cap this year)
- Beckman seems to be a great LW prospect for the future.
- 2nd rounder could give us another great prospect for the future
Feb. 15, 2021 at 12:41 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Richard88
I was gonna say exactly what RazWild said. Minnesota have a few older guys on expiring contracts who won't be returning (i.e. Bonino, Johansson, Hartman, etc), so there's absolutely room for Jost.

Jost's defensive metrics and PK ability make him valuable at a low caphit. He's also a really hard worker and works hard at the details and has shown some improvement on faceoffs this season. A lot of players take a few years to figure out how to win draws, like Bonino for example - have a look at his FO% in his first 4-5 years compared to afterwards.

Jost is a really solid bottom 6 forward to have on your team, which is why Avs fans in this thread aren't too enamoured with the idea of moving him, especially for a rental.

I suck at explaining stuff, so let me do so again
Parise / Fiala
Kaprizov/ Zuccarello
Foligno, Greenway
Ryan Hartman (Maybe) , / Foligno & Sturm

Winger room needed for
Matt Boldy: this year or next
Adam Beckman: 2-3 Years

This is why I was saying even with Johansson & Bonino being free agent after season, the wild continues to be stacked with wingers

Center for sure
Marco Rossi
Joel Erickson ek
Sturm? Rask? Jost? Nick Bjustad?
Rask / Sturm

Depending on moves made through trade or free agency, yes they could have room for Jost Possibly @ 3c or 4c next year, or maybe they want. Let's pretend the wild signed a Top 6 c in free agency after Expansion, or trade for one:
Trade/ free agency
Marco Rossi
Joel Erickson ek
Victor rask (if not bought out) Tyson jost

If the wild GM is true to his word, he made it clear in terms of giving young player / prospect every chance to make the team . With the Wild GM reusing to buy out Rask, don't know if he will change his mind, or not.
Feb. 15, 2021 at 1:40 p.m.
John 3 16
Parise / Fiala
Kaprizov/ Zuccarello
Foligno, Greenway

Winger room needed for

This is why I was saying even with Johansson & Bonino being free agent after season, the wild continues to be stacked with wingers

Center for sure
Marco Rossi
Joel Erickson ek
Rask / Sturm

Depending on moves made through trade or free agency, yes they could have room for Jost Possibly 3c or 4c next year, or maybe they want. Let's pretend the wild signed a Top 6 c in free agency after Expansion, or trade for one:
Trade/ free agency
Marco Rossi
Joel Erickson ek

If the wild GM is true to his word, he made it clear in terms of giving young player / prospect every chance to make the team . With the Wild GM reusing to buy out Rask, don't know if he will change his mind, or not.

Jost is a regular starter for a very deep contender. I have a hard time envisaging that a mediocre team (no offense) like the Wild couldn't fit him in. There are a lot of very average players on that Wild team.
Feb. 15, 2021 at 1:56 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Richard88
Jost is a regular starter for a very deep contender. I have a hard time envisaging that a mediocre team (no offense) like the Wild couldn't fit him in. There are a lot of very average players on that Wild team.

Kaprizov, & Fiala are average to you?
Joel Erickson ek isn't average. Also regarding your comment, there's no room in wild top 6 winger for him maybe at best 4th line.

He isn't playing over foligno, greenway, Sturm who are all goo

If Boldy makes the team next year, there is n room for him. Also statistically wild were one of the best teams 5 on 5 scoring wise last year

Wild traded Zucker to make room for kaprizov in top 4. I get it that you have to defend your player, but if wild keep Greenway, or Boldy makes team out of training camp next year, wild top 6 is already filled.
Then Sturm, & foligno will be wild 4th line next year

As for c, it all depends on what wild does
Marco Rossi is already pencilled in to 1 or 2c depending on move wild make. Joel Erickson ek is pencilled in to 2 or 3c.

Than victor rask will be 4c. So 3c could maybe be open depending on if wild don't trade for/ sign in free agency a top 6c.

Also depending on nick bjustad season, if he's traded or resigned, he can also take up a c place. It all depends on what wild GM does. He has a habit of keeping/ trading for, & signing players he's familiar with
Feb. 15, 2021 at 1:59 p.m.
John 3 16
Joel Erickson ek isn't average. Also regarding your comment, there's no room in wild top 6 winger for him maybe at best 4th line.

If Boldy makes the team next year, there is n room for him. Also statistically wild were one of the best teams 5 on 5 scoring wise last year

Wild traded Zucker to make room for kaprizov in top 4. I get it that you have to defend your player, but if wild keep Greenway, or Boldy makes team out of training camp next year, wild top 6 is already filled.

Marco Rossi is already pencilled in to 1 or 2c depending on move wild make. Joel Erickson ek is pencilled in to 2 or 3c.

Than victor rask will be 4c. So 3c could maybe be open depending on if wild don't trade for/ sign in free agency a top 6c.

Also depending on nick bjustad season, if he's traded or resigned, he can also take up a c place. It all depends on what wild GM does. He has a habit of keeping/ trading for, & signing players he's familiar with

Obviously I wasn't referring to Kaprizov or Fiala when I said average.

If you don't want Jost that's absolutely fine by me. I'd prefer trading picks/prospects anyhow.
Feb. 15, 2021 at 4:07 p.m.
Edited Feb. 15, 2021 at 4:24 p.m.
Parise / Fiala
Kaprizov/ Zuccarello
Foligno, Greenway

Winger room needed for

Center for sure
Marco Rossi
Joel Erickson ek
Rask / Sturm

Depending on moves made through trade or free agency, yes they could have room for Jost Possibly @ 3c or 4c next year, or maybe they want. Let's pretend the wild signed a Top 6 c in free agency after Expansion, or trade for one:
Trade/ free agency
Marco Rossi
Joel Erickson ek

First off, you need to stop thinking of Jost as a center. He isn't one, but can play the position if he has to. Jost can play all three forward positions. Left Wing, Center, Right Wing. The value in acquiring him is that he is 22, solid defensively, PK's, and gives us another option at center if one of ours goes down to injury, but wouldn't normally play the center position, and will be cheaper than and cost less than Ryan Hartman on his next contract. Likely around $1.5M.

Hartman is 26 and is due a pay raise, is arbitration eligible after this season, and will likely cost around $2.5M.

Jost is just as solid defensively as Hartman is, so we lose nothing. What we gain is, a player with positional flexibility. The only thing Hartman has over Jost is that he's more of a grinder. A grit and sandpaper kind of guy if you will.

Hartman would be gone after this season, and Jost would take his place on the roster.

Status quo is therefore maintained.

Johansson, Bonino, and Bjugstad would gone and off the roster as well. That's three spots that have opened up.

The team fields 20 players on the bench at a game on any given night.

12 forwards
6 defenseman
2 goalies

Team Rosters typically have 21-23 players on them at all times. League average is 22. That means 1-3 players will be sitting in the press box at times too. They could be there for lackluster play or to be a healthy scratch and just a warm backup option should someone get hurt and could play in their place the next game out.

OR

They could be an older player being given a night off and some rest with the intent to keep them fresh during a long grueling season and save them from additional wear and tear.

Parise is 36 years old, and will be 37 next year.

Zuccarello is 33, and will be 34 next year.

Boldy is currently 19, and if he makes the team next year, he can play whenever those two are given a night off to keep them fresh on a rotational basis that would keep Boldy in the lineup.

That said, Boldy is NOT Kaprizov. He might be ready for and make the jump to the NHL next year or he might stay in college for an additional year. Who knows. But that doesn't mean he can or will immediately jump into our top six. Kaprizov was able to do so because he has been playing professional hockey for the last five years, playing against grown men. Boldy has exactly zero years of professional hockey experience. He'll have to adjust and will have to earn his icetime.

It's not a sure thing that he makes the roster next year, nor anyone else that I wanted to bring in beyond those whose who are known capable NHL caliber players.

That goes for Rossi, Frost, Boldy, Addison, Menell, Belpedio or any other prospect. If they make the team, it's because they earned the right to be on it, and it will be over and at the expense of, someone else, the roster will sort itself out accordingly because of that.

No team or GM will ever concern themselves with roster spots and decisions for them for prospects who're 2+ years away. I promise you Guerin isn't sitting there penciling in Marat Khusnutdinov or Alexander Khovanov as his 2C in two years time right now. You can't think that way.

No, you're looking for any and all opportunities to fill that need and as many options as possible with the hope that one of them hits. This is what @TanSor was referring to when he said you can never have too many centers.

The analogy I like to use is the one that fits the best to my knowledge.

It's like the ammo chamber of a pistol revolver. The more rounds in the chamber the more chances of hitting the target.

The more young centers with upside you have the more chances you have that one of them hits and you get what you need and are looking for.

It's also not just about getting more young centers with upside for our center depth, it's about acquiring better center depth at the NHL level.

Say for example these trades I proposed go through and the roster works out the way I intended. The potential center depth is far better than if we stand pat.

Phillip Danault: Middle-rung 2C, Top Six Center.

Marco Rossi: Low-end 1C/High-end 2C, Top Six Center/Top Line potential.

Morgan Frost: High-end 2C, Top Six Center potential.

Joel Eriksson-Ek: Low-end 2C/High-end 3C, Middle Six Center.

Nico Sturm: Middle-Rung 3C/High-end 4C, Bottom Six Center.

Victor Rask: Low-end 4C, Bottom Six Center.

Better center depth makes both Sturm and Rask expendable. They are no longer necessary and can be moved or bought out after the expansion draft because the player replacing them are simply better or have better higher potential.

Having a overabundance of too many of a certain position may be an issue. But acquiring and improving your depth and getting better players for said position should never be one.
TanSor and jnowariak liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll