Forums/Armchair-GM

Everything We Need From NJ At The Deadline

Created by: bruinsdude77
Team: 2020-21 Boston Bruins
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 17, 2021
Published: Feb. 17, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Bs need a top-four LHD, some offensive depth given Kase’s injury concerns, and honestly it wouldn’t hurt to have a vet 3rd string goalie to avoid another Vladar debut scenario. Wait til the deadline and the Devils can provide all three. They appear to need an Expansion Draft eligible forward to expose and certainly won’t turn down a talented young defenseman and a second round pick as well. Kuhlman and Ahcan appear blocked from being regulars in Boston anyway. Almost all of that is just to cover Murray as Gusev has been an expensive flop so far this season (though I like the skill set potential and the Bs have the cap space to take a risk) and Wedgewood is no more than a waiver claim caliber goalie. One stop shopping isn’t always feasible but I like the fit with NJ at the right price.
Trades
NJD
  1. Ahcan, Jack
  2. Kuhlman, Karson
  3. 2021 2nd round pick (BOS)
  4. 2022 6th round pick (BOS)
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
25$81,500,000$83,517,314$964,222$2,300,000-$2,017,314

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Boston Bruins
$6,125,000$6,125,000
LW
NMC
UFA - 5
$6,875,000$6,875,000
C
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$6,666,667$6,666,667
RW
UFA - 3
$3,675,000$3,675,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$5,250,000$5,250,000
C, RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 6
$3,100,000$3,100,000
RW
UFA - 3
$1,498,925$1,498,925
LW
UFA - 1
$7,250,000$7,250,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$2,600,000$2,600,000
RW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$300,000$300K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,275,000$1,275,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$1,350,000$1,350,000
RW, C
UFA - 3
$1,600,000$1,600,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
Logo of the New Jersey Devils
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,600,000$4,600,000
LD
UFA - 1
$4,900,000$4,900,000
RD
UFA - 2
$7,000,000$7,000,000
G
UFA - 1
$725,000$725,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$2,850,000$2,850,000
RD
UFA - 1
$2,250,000$2,250,000 (Performance Bonus$1,250,000$1M)
G
UFA - 1
$3,687,500$3,687,500
LD
UFA - 4
$850,000$850,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LD
UFA - 3
$1,250,000$1,250,000 (Performance Bonus$750,000$750K)
RD
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RD
UFA - 3
Taxi Squad
$769,167$769,167 ($0$0$0$0) (Performance Bonus$107,500$108K)
RW, C
RFA - 2
$700,000$700,000 ($0$0$0$0)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
C, LW
UFA - 1
RW
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000 ($0$0$0$0)
RD
UFA - 1
G
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 17, 2021 at 2:53 a.m.
And you are sending nothing of value lmao
NYD are good, they’ll take Marchand and Pasta for Wood and Merkley
Devil liked this.
Feb. 17, 2021 at 5:35 a.m.
So, NJD sends our LHD1, LW2, and back-up goalie....for....a 25-year old AHLer and 23 year-old ECHLer?

Come back with something serious, and we'll give an answer
Devil liked this.
Feb. 17, 2021 at 7:51 a.m.
Speak of the Devil
Devils pass. We need quality
Feb. 17, 2021 at 8:04 a.m.
And then what, Gusev sits if everyone is healthy? I don't really see a significant upgrade in Wedgewood compared to Vladar, Bruins are probably fine going with the latter if injury. Kuhlman doesn't hold much value; Ahcan was just signed, imo move another D if you want to include one.

Quoting: NHLfan10506
So, NJD sends our LHD1, LW2, and back-up goalie....for....a 25-year old AHLer and 23 year-old ECHLer?

I guess that's another way to say you don't know these players. That being said, I agree it's not enough.
Feb. 17, 2021 at 8:09 a.m.
I just don't get why either team does this deal.

Boston is trading for 3 UFA's and TBH they're nothing special.

-Murray isn't really an upgrade over anything on our LD and is the definition of injury prone lol
-Gusev I've never understood the hype. Right now we have Pasta, DeBrusk, Smith, Wagner all on the ride side and our top prospect can also play RW. Where is Gusev going to play?
-Wedgewood is a fringe NHL back-up and not an upgrade over Vladar. You also could potentially stunt the development of Swayman as he'd have to get less starts because Vladar would need reps

For New Jersey

-Kuhlman has zero value and going to be a career AHLer
-Ahcan is a decent prospect, but he just turned pro and a wildcard.
-The picks are most likely late rounders
KennyBoi liked this.
Feb. 17, 2021 at 8:13 a.m.

Just because Murray is your 1LD, doesn't mean he has the value of one lol. BTW that 23yr old ECHLer played 2 games down there before the AHL season kicked off. He's currently got 3pts in 3gp for Providence and from reports he's looked good.
bhavikp27 liked this.
Feb. 17, 2021 at 8:38 a.m.
Banned
Edited Feb. 17, 2021 at 10:06 a.m.
Murray yes, the others no. But i’m not a fsn of Murray. Better options out there.

Both teams decline this.

Gusev sucks, does not even crack the lineup, and there is zero need for Wedgewood.

Achan off to a strong start at Prov and will battle Urho to replace Lauzon/Zboril when one of them is taken by Seattle.

One stop shopping would be Palmieri and Murray. Or better yet Preds Ekholm and Granlund.
Feb. 17, 2021 at 9:41 a.m.
Quoting: ON3M4N
Just because Murray is your 1LD, doesn't mean he has the value of one lol. BTW that 23yr old ECHLer played 2 games down there before the AHL season kicked off. He's currently got 3pts in 3gp for Providence and from reports he's looked good.

our LHD1

BTW that 23yr old ECHLer played 2 games down there before the AHL season kicked off. He's currently got 3pts in 3gp for Providence and from reports he's looked good.

Three games. In AHL.

Gusev I've never understood the hype. Right now we have Pasta, DeBrusk, Smith, Wagner all on the ride side and our top prospect can also play RW. Where is Gusev going to play?

Gusev is a LW

Quoting: bhavikp27
I guess that's another way to say you don't know these players. That being said, I agree it's not enough.

Ok, thats fair. Could also say I dont know them because they are not good.
Feb. 17, 2021 at 9:42 a.m.
Ok, thats fair. Could also say I dont know them

Yes.
Feb. 17, 2021 at 10:39 a.m.
Three games. In AHL.

Gusev is a LW

Ok, thats fair. Could also say I dont know them because they are not good.

Yes 3 games in the AHL because that's all he's been able to play as he just turned pro. Do you know anything about him? From the scouts I've talked to they project him as a 2nd pairing d-man that could be a PPQB.

As for Gusev, great LW. Marchand, DeBrusk (also plays LW), Ritchie, Frederic, Bjork. Gusev isn't getting Top 9 minutes in Boston and he's not built to play on Boston's 4th line.

Lastly you don't know about these players because you're probably a casual fan (which is fine) and unless a prospect is highly touted or in your system then you probably don't know **** about them.
Feb. 17, 2021 at 10:50 a.m.
Yes.

Change my quote. Real mature.

From the scouts I've talked to they project him as a 2nd pairing d-man that could be a PPQB.

You're talking to scouts? lol
Feb. 17, 2021 at 11:00 a.m.

The return for NJD iis light, but also the trade is complicated. I dont see Gusev being a fit, and Wedgewood is an unnecessary piece. The murray deal should be its own thing if the B's want it. That being said, just because he's NJD 1LHD doesnt mean he IS a 1LHD. Hes a solid player, with injury problems, on a 1 year deal. Ahcan is also a good prospect, the only reason he played in the coast is because they started before the AHL and the B's wanted him to get some games. Doubt the B's give him up though...
Feb. 17, 2021 at 11:02 a.m.

I live within 30-120 minutes of 4 AHL teams and have gone to quite a few games over the years. I've met scouts (became friends with some) and even have met a few GM's in the process. I've also met scouts at some of the D-1 NCAA games I've gone to.
Feb. 17, 2021 at 11:51 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: GMs
And you are sending nothing of value lmao
NYD are good, they’ll take Marchand and Pasta for Wood and Merkley

And then what, Gusev sits if everyone is healthy? I don't really see a significant upgrade in Wedgewood compared to Vladar, Bruins are probably fine going with the latter if injury. Kuhlman doesn't hold much value; Ahcan was just signed, imo move another D if you want to include one.

Yes 3 games in the AHL because that's all he's been able to play as he just turned pro. Do you know anything about him? From the scouts I've talked to they project him as a 2nd pairing d-man that could be a PPQB.

As for Gusev, great LW. Marchand, DeBrusk (also plays LW), Ritchie, Frederic, Bjork. Gusev isn't getting Top 9 minutes in Boston and he's not built to play on Boston's 4th line.

Lastly you don't know about these players because you're probably a casual fan (which is fine) and unless a prospect is highly touted or in your system then you probably don't know **** about them.

Quoting: Heyhowareya37
The return for NJD iis light, but also the trade is complicated. I dont see Gusev being a fit, and Wedgewood is an unnecessary piece. The murray deal should be its own thing if the B's want it. That being said, just because he's NJD 1LHD doesnt mean he IS a 1LHD. Hes a solid player, with injury problems, on a 1 year deal. Ahcan is also a good prospect, the only reason he played in the coast is because they started before the AHL and the B's wanted him to get some games. Doubt the B's give him up though...

Lmao both teams hate this deal which is funny

Devils are clearly gonna want more in return (as they should)
And bruins are not gonna (and are not able to) take on all that cap hit for two players we do not want or need.

Missed on every acccount
Heyhowareya37 liked this.
Feb. 17, 2021 at 12:26 p.m.
I’m honestly stunned by the responses to this. What does everyone not understand about rentals?

Murray, Gusev, and Wedgewood may technically be NJD’s LD1, LW2, and G3 but in a few months do you know what they’ll be? Nothing. They’ll be free agents. And they’ll be free agents for the Bruins too. They don’t impact either club beyond this season (unless Murray ends up being a perfect fit with McAvoy). Murray is absolutely an upgrade for the Bruins on the left side and if you think they can do better, go look at the other LD rentals. He’s one of two or three worth having. Gusev is worth very little (to either team) but contenders add depth rentals every year. He doesn’t “block” anyone. He can play both wings and has offensive talent which the Bruins taxi squad lacks. If he never plays so be it. The value is in having the option. Then there’s Wedgewood. I’m simply proposing that you throw him in there to be your taxi squad goalie. It gets Vladar AHL postseason starts and allows for the Bruins to have someone with NHL experience should an injury occur in net. And it costs nothing. And Wedgewood, like Gusev, then definitely leaves in the off-season and no one is “blocked”. The Bs also have the cap space to add all three. In terms of year-long cap, the Bruins should have upwards of $14MM in space at the deadline.

As for the return, either Devils fans think really highly of Gusev and Wedgewood (you shouldn’t) or you don’t know enough about Kuhlman and Ahcan. Kuhlman has played all over the Bruins lineup the past two years, including in the playoffs, and on a shallow roster like New Jersey is 100% an NHL asset. Also, the Devils are short on forwards who meet the expansion exposure requirements so that’s an added benefit. Ahcan was one of the best offensive defenseman in the NCAA last year. Don’t just look at his handful of games this season. If he stays in Boston, he competes for NHL opportunity as early as next year if expansions costs the Bs a defenseman. In New Jersey, he’s likely on the roster or the next man up immediately. Plus there’s a second round pick. And again all of this is essentially for a couple months of Murray. I threw the 6th rounder in to cover a couple months of Gusev and Wedgwood, who are not worth much and Gusev saves the Devils actual dollars by leaving. At the end of the day, you’re all saying New Jersey, in a rebuild, definitely doesn’t have interest in two players who could challenge for roster spots right away, a 2nd, and a 6th for three expiring contracts? Not to mention some Expansion help and some financial savings? I just refuse to believe that.
Feb. 17, 2021 at 1:01 p.m.
Quoting: bruinsdude77
I’m honestly stunned by the responses to this. What does everyone not understand about rentals?

Murray, Gusev, and Wedgewood may technically be NJD’s LD1, LW2, and G3 but in a few months do you know what they’ll be? Nothing. They’ll be free agents. And they’ll be free agents for the Bruins too. They don’t impact either club beyond this season (unless Murray ends up being a perfect fit with McAvoy). Murray is absolutely an upgrade for the Bruins on the left side and if you think they can do better, go look at the other LD rentals. He’s one of two or three worth having. Gusev is worth very little (to either team) but contenders add depth rentals every year. He doesn’t “block” anyone. He can play both wings and has offensive talent which the Bruins taxi squad lacks. If he never plays so be it. The value is in having the option. Then there’s Wedgewood. I’m simply proposing that you throw him in there to be your taxi squad goalie. It gets Vladar AHL postseason starts and allows for the Bruins to have someone with NHL experience should an injury occur in net. And it costs nothing. And Wedgewood, like Gusev, then definitely leaves in the off-season and no one is “blocked”. The Bs also have the cap space to add all three. In terms of year-long cap, the Bruins should have upwards of $14MM in space at the deadline.

As for the return, either Devils fans think really highly of Gusev and Wedgewood (you shouldn’t) or you don’t know enough about Kuhlman and Ahcan. Kuhlman has played all over the Bruins lineup the past two years, including in the playoffs, and on a shallow roster like New Jersey is 100% an NHL asset. Also, the Devils are short on forwards who meet the expansion exposure requirements so that’s an added benefit. Ahcan was one of the best offensive defenseman in the NCAA last year. Don’t just look at his handful of games this season. If he stays in Boston, he competes for NHL opportunity as early as next year if expansions costs the Bs a defenseman. In New Jersey, he’s likely on the roster or the next man up immediately. Plus there’s a second round pick. And again all of this is essentially for a couple months of Murray. I threw the 6th rounder in to cover a couple months of Gusev and Wedgwood, who are not worth much and Gusev saves the Devils actual dollars by leaving. At the end of the day, you’re all saying New Jersey, in a rebuild, definitely doesn’t have interest in two players who could challenge for roster spots right away, a 2nd, and a 6th for three expiring contracts? Not to mention some Expansion help and some financial savings? I just refuse to believe that.

I think a lot of NJD fans wholly get what these players represent.

1. Wedgewood is a stop-gap fix at goalie (since Crawford bailed last minute). Same as Dell, Comrie, etc.
2. Murray is a pending UFA, wanting to show a full healthy season, playing for his next contract (NJD or elsewhere)
3. Gusev is also a pending free agent...trying to show he can produce like 2nd half of last season.

None of which will draw enormous returns. But if NJD wants to resign Murray...and will likely try to resign Gusev or Palmieri...they would be better off keeping them.

And just as people say, "just because Murray is your #1 LHD, it doesn't mean he is a #1 LHD" (which is true)...we can just as easily say, "Just because Ahcan is one of your best prospects, it doesn't mean he is a good prospect" (also true).

What would be Ahcan's ceiling with the Devils, really? He just sits in the queue behind a bunch of other LHDs (Smith, Butcher, Bahl, Mukhamadullin, Okhotyuk, Misyul, Zaitsev, Vukojevich, Edwards)? I'm not even sure Ahcan makes their AHL team right now (over Bahl, Vuko, Okhotyuk?)

And expansion is a non-factor for NJD since most their d-man are either exempt or pending free agents.

So yes, NJD declines.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll