Forums/Armchair-GM

Montreal after expansion

Created by: lesage_b4343
Team: 2017-18 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: Dec. 18, 2016
Published: Dec. 18, 2016
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
The Montreal Roster after Expansion Draft (to start the 2017-18 season) - Please give feedback - Expansion casualties would include Emelin and Plekanec, other than that I can't guess.

Trades top down: Jets one is to get a Center to play during our current situation (injured DD and Galchenyuk), Perreault doesn't have NTC until 2017 so the trade can happen - Value wise as a Jets/Habs fan I see value for Jets in a good LD that is young and assuming Beau wants to go to a young exciting team in the jets will resign (the pick is for to compensate for expansion protection of Beau)
Expansion protection of Markov because he's resigned and open to that (it's the right thing to do for a skilled player that spent his career with Habs and if willing to return for a cup run)
Carr i've seen enough of and believe a team like Detroit could use depth on the wings (pick might be lower i really don't know)

Signing Rad and Galchenyuk are no brainers, I believe that 6 at 4 years is fair to Radulov (his production is appearing tied to Galchenyuk and justifies a drafted player getting the bump in pay) - Galchenyuks value is subjective but I think 6.2 at 6 is fair, he's making more than everyone except Weber and Price as well well into the realm of market value (if not injured he'd make more probable)
Sharp is a FA trying to win a cup with Habs - Place sitter for that if you want, someone who can play top six and has wing/center capability (relationship with Bergevin not required)
Stalberg has size/speed and adds depth/experience as a cup winner
Daley I see as a good option to shoulder our defence while Sergachev developes (won the cup with Pit and a cap hit that's reasonable while having the offensive defenseman upside)

Otherwise I like the cap flexibility on this roster, Sharp and Markov are off the books in a year when Price resigns and Daley is when Pacioretty resigns - with 2.3 to buffer for signings and season moves
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
6$6,200,000
1$1,000,000
2$750,000
2$700,000
2$925,000
2$900,000
2$700,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
4$6,000,000
1$3,000,000
2$1,200,000
2$3,500,000
2$950,000
1$5,500,000
1$1,050,000
Trades
WPG
  1. Beaulieu, Nathan
  2. 2018 2nd round pick (MTL)
Additional Details:
Traded prior to the end of 2016-17 season
MTL
ARI
  1. Plekanec, Tomas
Additional Details:
Expansion Selected
MTL
ARI
  1. Emelin, Alexei
Additional Details:
Expansion Selected
MTL
ARI
  1. 2018 4th round pick (MTL)
Additional Details:
Payed to Las Vegas to not pick Markov
MTL
  1. 2018 3rd round pick (DET)
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the DET
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$73,000,000$70,207,142$0$850,000$2,792,858

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
$4,050,000$4,050,000
LW
UFA - 2
$6,200,000$6,200,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 3
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RW
UFA - 5
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$4,125,000$4,125,000
LW, RW, C
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$3,750,000$3,750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 4
$839,166$839,166
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$912,500$912,500
C
UFA - 1
$3,900,000$3,900,000
C, RW
UFA - 5
$1,050,000$1,050,000
LW, RW
UFA
$1,200,000$1,200,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$1,166,667$1,166,667
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$700,000$700,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$950,000$950,000
RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RD
UFA - 3
$7,857,143$7,857,143
RD
UFA - 9
$6,500,000$6,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LD
UFA
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 4
$894,166$894,166 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LD/RD
UFA - 3
$612,500$612,500
RD
UFA - 1
$1,200,000$1,200,000
G
UFA - 2
$800,000$800,000
RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Dec. 18, 2016 at 1:42 p.m.
Suffering Isles Fan
Only one player can be taken by Vegas from each team.
Dec. 18, 2016 at 1:56 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: BLough17

And Vegas ain't taken a 6m cap hit in Plekanec just because the Habs need the cap space.
Dec. 18, 2016 at 2:05 p.m.
Quoting: palhal
Quoting: BLough17

And Vegas ain't taken a 6m cap hit in Plekanec just because the Habs need the cap space.

Not fully certain of that palhal. They will be taking some bigger contracts if the player is still decent. Plekanec is still decent. Plus its not a crazy long term deal like Dustin Brown either. Although I would see LV taking Pleky only on the condition that Beaulieu isn't available or the UFA's that MTL has, tell LV they aren't signing with them.

Sure they could take DeLaRose or Andrighetto if they want but those guys aren't true NHL'ers. Plekanec is and would be one of their better players if he was taken. If Bergevin does everything correctly, within reason of course, LV will be choosing from a bunch of nobodies and Plekanec could be the only real choice. They do need to take a couple big name contracts. Plekanec is only signed for one more year. Better that then 5 years of Dustin Brown........
Dec. 18, 2016 at 2:19 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Edited Dec. 18, 2016 at 2:52 p.m.
FMarco: How many Plekanecs, Ennis, Reads can the Vegans take?. Seems like Vegas is new cap dumping ground. If I was Vegas, I would rather take Anrighetto as one of my 30 players picked....yes not all 30 drafted players are going to be in the NHL, some are going to be AHL. Have Andrighetto in the AHL, no NHL cap hit and then the Vegans have 6 mill to spend on UFA or make a deal with a team with cap issues.
If the Vegans take Plekanac, then in one year they are almost in the same state as new expansion team....6m to spend on other player.
Admitting taking Plekanec and his expiring contract is better than long term dogs like Brown and Ennis. (I like dogs as pets though.
Dec. 18, 2016 at 2:28 p.m.
Yeah so my bad I thought the Expansion limit was cap related not player number (up to % of a teams cap) - in any case one of Emelin or Plekanec will be selected and that is likely Plekanec. Las Vegas will have to reach the cap floor and like F50Marco said Plekys contract isn't bad at all. It's going to be one of them because as much as Habs fans love to hate them they are still actual NHLers and on a team that doesn't have huge contracts to work through they offer value. The knights will want a mixed team of Nhlers and youth (guys like Dano/Armia from winnipeg) - Montreal doens't have much of that (Danault is it and honeslty if he keeps his play up will be protected).
Dec. 18, 2016 at 2:33 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
lesage: No, no, no. Vegas will have not trouble reaching the cap floor. There will be at least two guys per team making over 4m that will be available, plus they can spend money on UFAs.
Foolish drafting would easily put them over the cap.
Dec. 18, 2016 at 2:43 p.m.
FMarco: How many Plekanecs, Ennis, Reads can the Vegans take?. Seems like Vegas is new cap dumping ground. If I was Vegas, I would rather take Anrighetto as one of my 30 players picked....yes not all 30 drafted players are going to be in the NHL, some are going to be AHL. Have Andrighetto in the AHL, no NHL cap hit and then the Vegans have 6 mill to spend on UFA or make a deal with a team with cap issues.
If the Vegans take Plekanac, then in one year they are almost in the same state as new expansion team....6m to spend on other player.
Admitting taking Plekanec and his expiring contract is better than long term dogs like Brown and Ennis. (I like dogs as pets thought).

I think you're missing the point that LV isn't going select a team that loses every game in its first season - the idea of Expansion drafting is to ice a semi-competitive team right away and not have to wait 5-10 years to build through drafting. They need fans to survive and your ideology of buy low and build off FA is a bit hard to see happening (Toronto couldn't do it and they had the benefit of past drafts). I'm sure they'll be active during FA but to build the whole team off of it is silly (who are they honestly going to get there?). It's no less "cliche" for a team hater to say that Vegas won't do anything that benefits say the Habs, Plekanec has averaged 50 points a season and is slumping a bit but still could touch 40 and is a contract that they aren't stuck with for long.
Dec. 18, 2016 at 3:05 p.m.
lesage: No, no, no. Vegas will have not trouble reaching the cap floor. There will be at least two guys per team making over 4m that will be available, plus they can spend money on UFAs.
Foolish drafting would easily put them over the cap.

Yeah cap floor conceded but you can't have it both ways, they're going to get a fair share of young Nhlers overall anyways. I definitely can't predict who they take but I do still think that depending on where they find the needs Plekanec or Emelin fit, both are good at what they do: Emelin is a phyiscal defense, not top 2 on any team but top 4 maybe and Plekanec is a vet whose averaged 50 a season and is in the upper nhl grouping of defensive centers.
I expect LV will build a team the same as Toronto is now, youth up while retaining vets to eat ice-time and relieve newbies.
Dec. 18, 2016 at 3:13 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
I'll agree that Las Vegas isn't going build a team that loses regularly. (on purpose) Just having a team of all "new" guys on a team makes it tough for team continuity and success. I'm not picking on your Plekanec deal specifically but where does it end? Plekancec at 6m, Ennis at 4.6m, Bozak at 4.2m, Read at 3.6, Kruger at 3.1m, Howard at 5.3m. That's 27m or 35% of the cap for 6 players.
My suggestion have 3 guys at 1m in the AHL,no cap hit. 3 guys at 1m each in the NHL. That leaves 24m for 3 good players. 21m gets you the equivalent of Bishop, Shattenkirk and Stone.

Seems to me that fans of "their" teams seem to think that their guys whether it's Plekanec or Ennis is going to the unwanted veteran picked by Vegas. And no I'm not a team hater of any team so please don't throw out red herring to try to influence a logical discussion.
Dec. 18, 2016 at 3:26 p.m.
I think Vegas will pick players with higher contracts they think they can trade. Maybe they get a RNH in trade after the draft. I do think Vegas will go lower end of the salary spectrum, make some trades, and try and be a player with UFA's.
Dec. 18, 2016 at 3:43 p.m.
Fair points, The team hater was to the common inter-team BS not a crack on reasonable dialogue.
So yes LV wouldn't build a team of bad contracts I agree, a team with needs filled definitely. IMO Plekanec or Emelin are realistic (depending on where the needs find themselves) - like I said I think LV will mix it up and get players like Dano/Armia from Jets (and other teams with such talent available) and go after the sensible contracts that fill needs.
Pleky is a bit old so I accept that he may be passed on (if they don't see a "clear" need for a defensive vet center) but Emelin is a top 4, physical defense that is young enough to be resigned and on a reasonable contract (guys like Orpik getting 5.5 or whatever for 5 years illustrates the waters FA are for teams with needs). It may be my own bias/perspective but I don't see FA vets going to LV to win a cup and so they will be paying the "Orpik Premimum", which is why I think they don't rely on FA and have a less sensitive approach to players with "objectively" unfit contracts. Guys who don't weigh down the overall with dumb term will be selected to play in the interim while youth develop and get coached.
Example of what I see as unlikely is a guy like E. Kane being a no-brainer selection, not because of his contract but because I don't think you build a team around Cancer (Jets fan).
Dec. 18, 2016 at 6:12 p.m.
Habs
Markov won't need to be protected, he's a UFA and can go wherever he wants, including montreal. If montreal protects 3 defenseman that will leave either emelin or beaulieu exposed, one of those players will likely be taken by Vegas which is pretty unfortunate for montreal. I hope it's plekanec instead.
Dec. 18, 2016 at 6:57 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
lesage: I would like to see Evander Kane in Vegas. He seems to get in "nightlife" problems in Winnipeg and Buffalo. Imagine would trouble he can find in Vegas.
You're right there might be old Cup desiring vets wanting Vegas. But some lesser guys who want to make money might. Just thinking if Marleau and Thornton do not get offers they want, maybe Vegas might be an alternative
Although guys who have made 50m in their NHL careers, does another 3m going to a place your really don't want to be make any difference?
There might be a few vets, who might welcome Vegas. Play a year or two then go in Vegas PR or broadcasting. Often guys who get in a new franchise early, fit a niche in the city.
Dec. 19, 2016 at 1:17 p.m.
Palhal, do the math. How many free agent mammoth contracts are they going to have to pay to reach the cap if most of the players they take are between 0.5m-2m? How many of the free agents worth giving big bucks to would want to sign with LV? How many of those big name Free agents are going to be actually available? Who exactly do you think LV will be signing? Shattenkirk? Bishop? Almost 100% they wouldn't. So the lesser guys? Patrick Eaves? Brian Gionta? Those guys are worth giving big contracts to?

Most of the players that LV will want to select are going to be "cheaper" contract players. There are a few good players that might be available at the 4-5M range but not many. So what happens when they get to September 1st and they're roster cap is 40M??? They need to be in the mid 50's to be cap compliant. Sign George Parros and Rob Ray to 5M dollar contracts????

So here is what you are saying, sign free agents you actually want to inflated contracts to reach the floor? Right? Those players probably won't be quality players to start off with. They'll be guys like PA Parenteau and Tom Pyatt who will take any job they can get! So you would give those guys 5M but not Plekanec? A true NHL vet who would more then likely would be this teams top line center if they chose him? Nor Matt Read, a guy who has put up decent numbers in a 3rd line role? Who else will they take? Scott Laughton? Another cheap contract to add to the list. Del Zotto? Free agent at the end of this year so they would need to sign him. No guarantee of that either. Eventually they'll have to take some players who are probably overpriced but are still NHL capable players.

Plekanec, Ennis and Reads are overpaid , I get that but they aren't garbage players. They are NHL regulars. We're not talking about David Clarkson here!

You keep throwing "its so easy to sign players to reach the cap" yet most teams can't even get the players they want when they have the money! TML wanted Stamkos. Did they get him? No! Just saying you want something doesn't mean you'll get it. There are 30 other teams vying for those players. MTL Has been trying to get a quality center for who knows how long now. They succeed at that? Nope, they got desperate and traded for Scott effing Gomez!!

Plus we haven't even got to the point of players being traded from now till the expansion draft. Yeah a guy like Jack Johnson may be available now but any smart GM would trade him to a team who is protecting an average dman currently and use it on Johnson instead. That team gets an upgrade on defence for peanuts. CLB gets draft pick. Nor have we mentioned players waiving their NMC's to be exposed but LV wouldn't want those players anyway thus eliminating a player from that team that LV could of chosen.

I think Vegas will be more desperate than you think. They need to not only ice a competitive team but get futures as well and there are a bunch of teams that have very little to offer LV at the expansion draft. MTL being one of them. Beaulieu is the only one of real value that fits the criteria of cheap young and good, that could be available. In this AGM above MTL trades him. After that the pickings are slim. Teams might even incentivize LV to take there somewhat over priced players.

I think you need to do the expansion draft team yourself and only protect the players worth protecting for each team leaving extra unused places if that team could afford to lose a player of less significance and then in addition to protecting the players, cross off the players that actually won't be available as well because they will be moved ahead of being left exposed at the draft. (Fowler would be available but I think we can assume that Anaheim will trade him before the expansion draft to a team that can protect him)

Then you start to see the real picture. A lot of those good players won't be available and most of those good players are the ones that carry bigger cap hits too. McPhee won't wait until the last minute to make sure he has enough cap to reach the floor. He'll do much of it before hand where he has a guarantee. Free agency and the trade market after the expansion draft is no guarantee.

Ultimately no one here knows for sure but that includes both of our opinions.
Dec. 19, 2016 at 2:01 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: F50marco
Palhal, do the math. How many free agent mammoth contracts are they going to have to pay to reach the cap if most of the players they take are between 0.5m-2m? How many of the free agents worth giving big bucks to would want to sign with LV? How many of those big name Free agents are going to be actually available? Who exactly do you think LV will be signing? Shattenkirk? Bishop? Almost 100% they wouldn't. So the lesser guys? Patrick Eaves? Brian Gionta? Those guys are worth giving big contracts to?

Most of the players that LV will want to select are going to be "cheaper" contract players. There are a few good players that might be available at the 4-5M range but not many. So what happens when they get to September 1st and they're roster cap is 40M??? They need to be in the mid 50's to be cap compliant. Sign George Parros and Rob Ray to 5M dollar contracts????

So here is what you are saying, sign free agents you actually want to inflated contracts to reach the floor? Right? Those players probably won't be quality players to start off with. They'll be guys like PA Parenteau and Tom Pyatt who will take any job they can get! So you would give those guys 5M but not Plekanec? A true NHL vet who would more then likely would be this teams top line center if they chose him? Nor Matt Read, a guy who has put up decent numbers in a 3rd line role? Who else will they take? Scott Laughton? Another cheap contract to add to the list. Del Zotto? Free agent at the end of this year so they would need to sign him. No guarantee of that either. Eventually they'll have to take some players who are probably overpriced but are still NHL capable players.

Plekanec, Ennis and Reads are overpaid , I get that but they aren't garbage players. They are NHL regulars. We're not talking about David Clarkson here!

You keep throwing "its so easy to sign players to reach the cap" yet most teams can't even get the players they want when they have the money! TML wanted Stamkos. Did they get him? No! Just saying you want something doesn't mean you'll get it. There are 30 other teams vying for those players. MTL Has been trying to get a quality center for who knows how long now. They succeed at that? Nope, they got desperate and traded for Scott effing Gomez!!

Plus we haven't even got to the point of players being traded from now till the expansion draft. Yeah a guy like Jack Johnson may be available now but any smart GM would trade him to a team who is protecting an average dman currently and use it on Johnson instead. That team gets an upgrade on defence for peanuts. CLB gets draft pick. Nor have we mentioned players waiving their NMC's to be exposed but LV wouldn't want those players anyway thus eliminating a player from that team that LV could of chosen.

I think Vegas will be more desperate than you think. They need to not only ice a competitive team but get futures as well and there are a bunch of teams that have very little to offer LV at the expansion draft. MTL being one of them. Beaulieu is the only one of real value that fits the criteria of cheap young and good, that could be available. In this AGM above MTL trades him. After that the pickings are slim. Teams might even incentivize LV to take there somewhat over priced players.

I think you need to do the expansion draft team yourself and only protect the players worth protecting for each team leaving extra unused places if that team could afford to lose a player of less significance and then in addition to protecting the players, cross off the players that actually won't be available as well because they will be moved ahead of being left exposed at the draft. (Fowler would be available but I think we can assume that Anaheim will trade him before the expansion draft to a team that can protect him)

Then you start to see the real picture. A lot of those good players won't be available and most of those good players are the ones that carry bigger cap hits too. McPhee won't wait until the last minute to make sure he has enough cap to reach the floor. He'll do much of it before hand where he has a guarantee. Free agency and the trade market after the expansion draft is no guarantee.

Ultimately no one here knows for sure but that includes both of our opinions.

Today we are going to be giving out an award.

To the longest comment on Capfriendly.

So without further or do,

I hereby acknowledge, Mr.F50marco as the winner of the "Mas largo Capfriendly Comment".

Congratulations.
Dec. 19, 2016 at 4:05 p.m.
Quoting: Caphead

I hereby acknowledge, Mr.F50marco as the winner of the "Mas largo Capfriendly Comment".

Congratulations.

Oooooooooh awards! Better pull out my acceptance speech:

I'd like to thank Mr Caphead, the academy and all my supporters for selecting me for this very much prestigious award. To my family for sticking with me through those times over the years. I love you Shanae-nae you're my life babe! Last but not least, little Timmy. Keep chasing that dream little buddy...... one day you'll be a star.
Thank you.

Woohoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo I'm going to Disney world!!!!!!!!

Hey wait a minute!!! This giant cheque is made out from "The National bank of Canado" for 12 trillion dollars?? Something smells fishy........ What are you trying to pull here Caphead? Are you truly a selected official of the I.C.C.A.? (International Capfriendly commenting association). Let's see some credentials!

laugh

Alright... alright.... alright...... Anyways, jokes on you, this isn't even my longest post!
Dec. 19, 2016 at 5:38 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: F50marco
Quoting: Caphead

Congratulations.

Oooooooooh awards! Better pull out my acceptance speech:

I'd like to thank Mr Caphead, the academy and all my supporters for selecting me for this very much prestigious award. To my family for sticking with me through those times over the years. I love you Shanae-nae you're my life babe! Last but not least, little Timmy. Keep chasing that dream little buddy...... one day you'll be a star.
Thank you.

Woohoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo I'm going to Disney world!!!!!!!!

Hey wait a minute!!! This giant cheque is made out from "The National bank of Canado" for 12 trillion dollars?? Something smells fishy........ What are you trying to pull here Caphead? Are you truly a selected official of the I.C.C.A.? (International Capfriendly commenting association). Let's see some credentials!

laugh

Alright... alright.... alright...... Anyways, jokes on you, this isn't even my longest post!
lmaaooo.

Ok I got my I.C.C.A ID right here:

Image result for funny id cards

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll