Forums/Armchair-GM

Gotta figure this out quick

Created by: Miguelicious
Team: 2020-21 Edmonton Oilers
Initial Creation Date: Mar. 4, 2021
Published: Mar. 4, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
ANA is headed to a rebuild whether they want to or not.
Bear, a couple of prospects that are ready to break out, and picks can very well accelerate that.

On the other hand, the big fish here clearly is Gibson. If it's true that he wants out, Holland should burn the phone lines calling them up on it. It would immediately solve the goaltending issue.

Not lost in all this is Henrique, who was a surprise waiver move (and so was Neal). If he isn't in the long term plans, why not shorten the term (3 vs 4) with a Neal swap? This rebuild is most likely going to last more than 3 years anyhow AND they wont have to waste a slot protecting Henrique this summer. What it does for the Oilers is give them a more viable option alongside McDavid to keep the DRY line together forever (until we re-up Nuge).

Call me crazy, call me hopeful, call it an overpayment. We should not waste the gift(s) that keep on giving: McDavid and Draisaitl's prime years.
Trades
ANA
  1. Bear, Ethan
  2. Konovalov, Ilya [Reserve List]
  3. Koskinen, Mikko
  4. Neal, James
  5. Samorukov, Dmitri
  6. 2022 1st round pick (EDM)
  7. 2022 3rd round pick (EDM)
Additional Details:
Bear still has value, younger Dman who could grow with the team as they are rebuilding
Samorukov is still one of our top D prospects
Konovalov is our top goaltending prospect
Koskinen to balance the books

Neal for Henrique could be interesting, with both being waived recently. +1 more year for Henrique but is younger (and would have to waive if EDM is on no-go list)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$74,355,282$341,534$1,230,000$7,144,718

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Anaheim Ducks
$1,456,250$1,456,250
LW, C
M-NTC
UFA - 4
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$12,500,000$12,500,000
C
UFA - 6
$1,175,000$1,175,000
RW
UFA - 2
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$8,500,000$8,500,000
C, LW
UFA - 5
$894,166$894,166 (Performance Bonus$230,000$230K)
RW
RFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,200,000$1,200,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$975,000$975,000
LW, RW, C
UFA - 1
$1,650,000$1,650,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$2,150,000$2,150,000
RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,600,000$5,600,000
LD
UFA - 2
$3,750,000$3,750,000
RD
UFA - 1
Logo of the Anaheim Ducks
$6,400,000$6,400,000
G
UFA - 7
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD/RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
RD
RFA - 3
$1,500,000$1,500,000 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
G
NTC
UFA - 1
$850,000$850,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$4,166,666$4,166,666
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$875,000$875,000
LW
UFA - 1
$785,000$785,000
G
UFA - 2
$4,167,000$4,167,000
LD
UFA - 3
$915,000$915,000
C
UFA - 1
$725,000$725,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$3,200,000$3,200,000
RW
UFA - 4
$850,000$850,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
Taxi Squad
$925,000$925,000 ($0$0$0$0)
LD
UFA - 1
$745,000$745,000 ($0$0$0$0) (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
G
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000 ($0$0$0$0)
LW, C, RW
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000 ($0$0$0$0)
RW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Mar. 4, 2021 at 12:48 p.m.
Banned
the oilers are rebuilding as well so I dont think they should panic too much
Mar. 4, 2021 at 12:54 p.m.
Oil Country Rising
Quoting: vr1995

what would you call the Laffs then, and their "50 year re-tooling"?
Mar. 4, 2021 at 12:58 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Miguelicious
what would you call the Laffs then, and their "50 year re-tooling"?

well you just got swept and outscored 13-1 in 3 games to that team so..

really not sure how you can possibly chirp after those last 3 games but here we are
Mar. 4, 2021 at 1:01 p.m.

If you think that, then you need to research what a rebuild is. Getting Barrie, Turris, Kahun and being top 3 in the division isn’t rebuilding at all.
Mar. 4, 2021 at 1:02 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Nhl_oilers
If you think that, then you need to research what a rebuild is. Getting Barrie, Turris, Kahun and being top 3 in the division isn’t rebuilding at all.

im just poking fun
Mar. 4, 2021 at 1:03 p.m.
Oil Country Rising
well you just got swept and outscored 13-1 in 3 games to that team so..

and? would you like a cookie or a participation ribbon then?

look man, nobody even mentioned the laffs until you came along to gloat. but after a 3 game beatdown (i will admit it was one helluva beatdown) you seem to have forgotten you have 54 years of mediocrity behind you with nothing to show for it lol
settle down kiddo, maybe win a round in the playoffs before acting all smug about it eh?
Mar. 4, 2021 at 1:17 p.m.
Banned

look man, nobody even mentioned the laffs until you came along to gloat. but after a 3 game beatdown (i will admit it was one helluva beatdown) you seem to have forgotten you have 54 years of mediocrity behind you with nothing to show for it lol
settle down kiddo, maybe win a round in the playoffs before acting all smug about it eh?

can you imagine if it was reversed what this site would look like? LOL, leafs have been better recently, youre holding on to 1 series win which the oilers have gotten so much worse since then, 1 series win LOL the leafs have made the playoffs more, we live in a world where people consider missing the playoffs is better than losing in the first round its actually hilarious. i know youre sensitive and in a tough place but try and come up with something new?

truth of the matter is RIGHT NOW which is all that really matters the Leafs are head over heels a better team than the Oilers. its not close in the slightest.
Mar. 4, 2021 at 1:18 p.m.
Lenny7

To be fair, the Oilers haven't won since the 1990...don't know why you fans of Canadian teams love to live in the past so much...

Re: the actual trade, no thanks. Need players with offensive upside coming back, and James Neal ain't it.
vr1995 and OldNYIfan liked this.
Mar. 4, 2021 at 1:28 p.m.
Oil Country Rising
can you imagine if it was reversed what this site would look like? LOL, youre holding on to 1 series win which the oilers have gotten so much worse since then, 1 series win LOL the leafs have made the playoffs more, we live in a world where people consider missing the playoffs is better than losing in the first round its actually hilarious. i know youre sensitive and in a tough place but try and come up with something new?

truth of the matter is RIGHT NOW which is all that really matters the Leafs are head over heels a better team than the Oilers. its not close in the slightest.

you and your entire fanbase glorifies being the best team in the "mediocre" section for FIFTY-FOUR, that's 5-4, so FIVE decades and change.
if you want something new, ask the team to change that narrative! you haven't, yet clowns like you want to talk to the rest of us like you did. blows my mind lol
ya'll talk down to the rest of us like you aren't in the same boat, maybe first class versus economy sure but definitely still in the same boat.
I'm saying tone it down until you win one in the era of coloured TV.

nobody ever said anything about the laffs not being top dog in this division. nobody.
the moment they announced "all-canadian" i knew only spots 2-4 were up for grabs just looking at roster composition.
that being said, keep holding onto a great past week seeing as how it staves off reality slowly creeping in.
ya'll need it i guess.
Mar. 4, 2021 at 1:39 p.m.
Oil Country Rising
Quoting: Lenny7
To be fair, the Oilers haven't won since the 1990...don't know why you fans of Canadian teams love to live in the past so much...

Re: the actual trade, no thanks. Need players with offensive upside coming back, and James Neal ain't it.

because being a hockey fan in canada is different from being one down the in states.
the underlying issue is that there's one fanbase whose last SERIES win in the playoffs came before Sid the Kid played his first game in the NHL, yet talks the most smack about "success", being "better", being the "best", being "canada's team", and so on.

it's not farfetched to say all canadian teams have been garbage in the modern era, yet the one with the least amount of success shouldn't be the ones barking the loudest.

personally, I think "bragging rights" belong to the nucks, as much as I hate that team.
they've been the furthest of all of us most recently, yet they dont talk even HALF as much as laff fans.

going back to the trade, is it more Henrique or truly just Neal who is the dealbreaker (like you would accept neal for lesser players coming our way?)
Mar. 4, 2021 at 1:47 p.m.
Lenny7
because being a hockey fan in canada is different from being one down the in states.
the underlying issue is that there's one fanbase whose last SERIES win in the playoffs came before Sid the Kid played his first game in the NHL, yet talks the most smack about "success", being "better", being the "best", being "canada's team", and so on.

it's not farfetched to say all canadian teams have been garbage in the modern era, yet the one with the least amount of success shouldn't be the ones barking the loudest.

personally, I think "bragging rights" belong to the nucks, as much as I hate that team.
they've been the furthest of all of us most recently, yet they dont talk even HALF as much as laff fans.

going back to the trade, is it more Henrique or truly just Neal who is the dealbreaker (like you would accept neal for lesser players coming our way?)

I think there's just less Nucks fans on here than anyone else tears of joy

IMO, the fanbases who are the most represented here are:
1)Toronto
2)Montreal
3)Edmonton
4)NYR

Trade-wise, if I were moving Gibby (Which I don't want to), there'd need to be elite potential offensive prospects coming to me. I have no issue with Henrique or Neal moving as parts of the deal if required, I just don't see the point in moving Gibby where the headliners are dmen. I'd be fine making some sort of trade for Bear, but it likely wouldn't involve Gibby.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Mar. 4, 2021 at 1:50 p.m.
John Gibson hasn't been elite since 2018. That's way too much to give up for an average starter. There are UFA goalies available this summer who have better results in the past 2 years and who will sign for much less. That way the Oilers can keep their prospects & picks and build a winner the right way.
Mar. 4, 2021 at 1:50 p.m.
Oil Country Rising
Quoting: Lenny7
I think there's just less Nucks fans on here than anyone else tears of joy

IMO, the fanbases who are the most represented here are:
1)Toronto
2)Montreal
3)Edmonton
4)NYR

Trade-wise, if I were moving Gibby (Which I don't want to), there'd need to be elite potential offensive prospects coming to me. I have no issue with Henrique or Neal moving as parts of the deal if required, I just don't see the point in moving Gibby where the headliners are dmen. I'd be fine making some sort of trade for Bear, but it likely wouldn't involve Gibby.

Oh I agree. There's a lot of them, each new generation more pompous than the last.
I don't mean to say all Oiler fans are smart and humble, far from it!
We've got our share of morons too, but they outnumber us 3-1 in that department at the very least.

Hmmm Lavoie is our best pure goal scorer. If I added him into the mix, would that be enough?
Mar. 4, 2021 at 1:53 p.m.
Oil Country Rising
Quoting: CD282
John Gibson hasn't been elite since 2018. That's way too much to give up for an average starter. There are UFA goalies available this summer who have better results in the past 2 years and who will sign for much less. That way the Oilers can keep their prospects & picks and build a winner the right way.

Totally understand. It's just a shame having to waste another year of McDavid and Drai and to hear another year of "McDavid wAntS tO bE a MaPLe LeAf".
CD282 liked this.
Mar. 4, 2021 at 1:54 p.m.
Banned
you and your entire fanbase glorifies being the best team in the "mediocre" section for FIFTY-FOUR, that's 5-4, so FIVE decades and change.
if you want something new, ask the team to change that narrative! you haven't, yet clowns like you want to talk to the rest of us like you did. blows my mind lol
ya'll talk down to the rest of us like you aren't in the same boat, maybe first class versus economy sure but definitely still in the same boat.
I'm saying tone it down until you win one in the era of coloured TV.

nobody ever said anything about the laffs not being top dog in this division. nobody.
the moment they announced "all-canadian" i knew only spots 2-4 were up for grabs just looking at roster composition.
that being said, keep holding onto a great past week seeing as how it staves off reality slowly creeping in.
ya'll need it i guess.

54 is more than 30. no question about that. but lets not pretend 30 years isnt a a long time as well. but if we wanna actually talk about recently, say the last 5-10 years or so, leafs have been better, make all the first round jokes you want but we have made the playoffs more in that time span and the teams we lost to in the first round were top 3 teams in the league each time, CHI was worse than cbj last year, Im fully aware of how pathetic the leafs have been, but to think the oilers havent been in the same boat recently is very naiive. i also never said best team anywhere, i just mentioned the oilers which there is no debate at this time and maybe you didnt but ALOT of oilers fans said the oilers were coming first.

if the oilers just did that to the leafs i wouldnt say a word and put my tail between my legs, there would be nothing I could say as a relevant rebuttal.
Mar. 4, 2021 at 1:56 p.m.
Banned
Oh I agree. There's a lot of them, each new generation more pompous than the last.
I don't mean to say all Oiler fans are smart and humble, far from it!
We've got our share of morons too, but they outnumber us 3-1 in that department at the very least.

Hmmm Lavoie is our best pure goal scorer. If I added him into the mix, would that be enough?

For the record @CD282 is worse than any leaf fan on this site and was one of the ones saying Oilers are coming first
Mar. 4, 2021 at 2:04 p.m.
Oil Country Rising
54 is more than 30. no question about that. but lets not pretend 30 years isnt a a long time as well. but if we wanna actually talk about recently, say the last 5-10 years or so, leafs have been better, make all the first round jokes you want but we have made the playoffs more in that time span and the teams we lost to in the first round were top 3 teams in the league each time, CHI was worse than cbj last year, Im fully aware of how pathetic the leafs have been, but to think the oilers havent been in the same boat recently is very naiive. i also never said best team anywhere, i just mentioned the oilers which there is no debate at this time and maybe you didnt but ALOT of oilers fans said the oilers were coming first.

if the oilers just did that to the leafs i wouldnt say a word and put my tail between my legs, there would be nothing I could say as a relevant rebuttal.

Here. I'll break it down for you if you want "success" so much.

The last time you won a playoff series:
MAF was the 1st overall pick. Ovie and Crosby wouldnt even be drafted until the following year (and +1 for Sid).
"In da Club" by 50 cent was the top song in that year.
One of the top headlines was the Space Shuttle Columbia disaster.
These are now all trivia questions.

Take note, this is a SERIES win. It don't really count if you make it if you don't win anything .
Stop asking for participation trophies so much. You are what's wrong with this generation.

As I said, the laffs are at the head of the class yet again, but all is for naught if you dont translate it to a CRUMB of postseason success.
So sit back down, by all means enjoy the ride, but the moment you stand up to talk more crap than is necessary someone will put you in your place.
Mar. 4, 2021 at 2:08 p.m.
Oil Country Rising
For the record CD282 is worse than any leaf fan on this site and was one of the ones saying Oilers are coming first

Me and him have had our rows, too.
He has his opinion, and I have mine.
However, he will never be worse than the worst laff fan (you're very much there, like 2-3 steps more) because he has shown the ability to change his opinion when facts also change.
That's the measuring stick I use to judge the fanbases.

Ive been humbled in my opinions too, I adjust.
You've been shown facts, yet kick and scream about an imaginary award you want to give your team .."but but but we made it to the dance". Sad.
Mar. 4, 2021 at 2:51 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
The reason why Henrique for Bear is a minus exchange for us despite the one additional year of term is that we have plenty, in fact an excess, of LWs and need an experienced center to bridge the Getzlaf-to-Zegras eras.

Replace Samorukov with Lavoie and make the 2022 first your 2021 first and we would say Yes (leaving out Henrique and Neal).
Mar. 4, 2021 at 2:55 p.m.
Banned
Here. I'll break it down for you if you want "success" so much.

The last time you won a playoff series:
MAF was the 1st overall pick. Ovie and Crosby wouldnt even be drafted until the following year (and +1 for Sid).
"In da Club" by 50 cent was the top song in that year.
One of the top headlines was the Space Shuttle Columbia disaster.
These are now all trivia questions.

Take note, this is a SERIES win. It don't really count if you make it if you don't win anything .
Stop asking for participation trophies so much. You are what's wrong with this generation.

As I said, the laffs are at the head of the class yet again, but all is for naught if you dont translate it to a CRUMB of postseason success.
So sit back down, by all means enjoy the ride, but the moment you stand up to talk more crap than is necessary someone will put you in your place.

Me and him have had our rows, too.
He has his opinion, and I have mine.
However, he will never be worse than the worst laff fan (you're very much there, like 2-3 steps more) because he has shown the ability to change his opinion when facts also change.
That's the measuring stick I use to judge the fanbases.

Ive been humbled in my opinions too, I adjust.
You've been shown facts, yet kick and scream about an imaginary award you want to give your team .."but but but we made it to the dance". Sad.

Never once asked for participation trophy no clue what your even trying to say.

once again you have no real rebuttal to anything recent so you bring up the unoriginal no series or 1967. oilers have no real recent success either so there you go being naiive again.

"change his opinion when facts also change"

this is the funniest part of it all because while talking about a series that happened within the last week in 2021, you resort back to 1967 LOL

didnt give my team an imaginary award, and sure didnt "kick and scream" ahahaha and nice quote too

youre 2 best players were completely irrelevant these past 3 games. leafs dominated the oilers in ever facet of all 3 games. none of these games have anything to do with 1967 or 1990 so stop bringing it up. if it was the other way around youd have every right to chirp and id have no right to say anything, oilers fans would be doing the same

end of story
Mar. 4, 2021 at 3:17 p.m.
Oil Country Rising
Never once asked for participation trophy no clue what your even trying to say.

once again you have no real rebuttal to anything recent so you bring up the unoriginal no series or 1967. oilers have no real recent success either so there you go being naiive again.

"change his opinion when facts also change"

this is the funniest part of it all because while talking about a series that happened within the last week in 2021, you resort back to 1967 LOL

didnt give my team an imaginary award, and sure didnt "kick and scream" ahahaha and nice quote too

youre 2 best players were completely irrelevant these past 3 games. leafs dominated the oilers in ever facet of all 3 games. none of these games have anything to do with 1967 or 1990 so stop bringing it up. if it was the other way around youd have every right to chirp and id have no right to say anything, oilers fans would be doing the same

end of story

kinda sad I have to point it out, but I suppose the slow ones do need help.

1. participation trophy = "we made it to the postseason so we're clearly the best"
2. oilers have no recent success = last time yall won was 2003; last time we won was 2017 (or will recency bias only work if it is to your favor?)
3. why do you keep bringing up 1967 = because you need to understand you're garbage just like the rest of us
4. it is *your* not *you're* in this case, son.
5. a bad week for 2 guys is just that: a bad week. not like all of a sudden they arent top 5 players in the world anymore.
6. ever seen me chirp? no? that's cause I normally don't unless an idiot is shooting his mouth off at me for some ungodly reason (like today)

bonus: i will never tire when it comes to bombarding laffs fans with facts.
bonus 2: by your logic, if matthews fails to score for 3 games he is now irrelevant and should not be focused on anymore
Mar. 4, 2021 at 4:34 p.m.
Banned
kinda sad I have to point it out, but I suppose the slow ones do need help.

1. participation trophy = "we made it to the postseason so we're clearly the best"
2. oilers have no recent success = last time yall won was 2003; last time we won was 2017 (or will recency bias only work if it is to your favor?)
3. why do you keep bringing up 1967 = because you need to understand you're garbage just like the rest of us
4. it is *your* not *you're* in this case, son.
5. a bad week for 2 guys is just that: a bad week. not like all of a sudden they arent top 5 players in the world anymore.
6. ever seen me chirp? no? that's cause I normally don't unless an idiot is shooting his mouth off at me for some ungodly reason (like today)

bonus: i will never tire when it comes to bombarding laffs fans with facts.
bonus 2: by your logic, if matthews fails to score for 3 games he is now irrelevant and should not be focused on anymore

LMAO original!

youre putting words in my mouth lol, I said making the playoffs and losing in round 1 is better than not making it, I never said anything about a participation trophy, you did.

lmao 1967 again yaaaaaaaaawnn

thanks grammar police

once again you are putting words in my mouth and you clearly have comprehension issues. I said they were irrelavant the past 3 games which they were, so nowhere close to your bonus answers
all you have is 1967 and 2003, you cant bring up right this very moment because it doesnt fit your narrative

can you imagine a reporter asked mcdavid after this 3 game set. "hey connor, what happened these past 3 games/" and he answered with "who cares, they havent won a series since 04 and havent won a cup since 67" how stupid does that sound, you sound like an 8 year old kid LOL

Oilers fans like yourself make being a leaf fan so much easier
Mar. 4, 2021 at 5:41 p.m.
Oil Country Rising
LMAO original!

youre putting words in my mouth lol, I said making the playoffs and losing in round 1 is better than not making it, I never said anything about a participation trophy, you did.

lmao 1967 again yaaaaaaaaawnn

thanks grammar police

once again you are putting words in my mouth and you clearly have comprehension issues. I said they were irrelavant the past 3 games which they were, so nowhere close to your bonus answers
all you have is 1967 and 2003, you cant bring up right this very moment because it doesnt fit your narrative

can you imagine a reporter asked mcdavid after this 3 game set. "hey connor, what happened these past 3 games/" and he answered with "who cares, they havent won a series since 04 and havent won a cup since 67" how stupid does that sound, you sound like an 8 year old kid LOL

Oilers fans like yourself make being a leaf fan so much easier

putting words in your mouth? you want recognition for making the playoffs, using it as a basis for being "better".
lol that's a participation trophy if I ever saw one. (unless you were thinking I meant a real physical trophy, then that would explain a LOT)

my point was that the only thing you clowns are good at is putting lipstick on a pig and perpetuating the same "tHiS iS oUr YeAr" narrative each and every year, for the past 54 years.
one good week and all of a sudden it's like the bigger picture doesn't matter.

you want to talk smack, but only on your terms.
you want to throw shade but dont wanna catch none.

best way to not get butthurt over 1967 (or 2003) is to shut up and stay in your lane especially if the person wasn't directing anything at you.

try reading it again. "if matthews does not score for the next 3 games.. blah blah" it means, your asinine thought process was flawed. McDavid and Drai were absolutely not "irrelevant" as they were always the focus defensively for you. But because it worked doesnt mean they're garbage, it just means your defense worked. Ergo, if I applied the same crap thought process, if Matthews does not score for 3 games, nobody will defend him for the 4th game and onwards to illustrate how stupid your line of thinking was and still is.

laff fans: the golden standard of how NOT to be a hockey fan.
if you still wanna argue about it, go jerk off to calm down lol i don't think I can make my point any clearer without calling you something I'd get banned from lmao

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll