Forums/Armchair-GM

What's with all the Nylander bashing

Created by: hockeymad
Team: 2016-17 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 11, 2017
Published: Jan. 11, 2017
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
So he's only 4th in rookie scoring...He's only the top rookie on PP. Why is he so tradeable? Well if the leafs do trade Nylander which I don't see happening they will be getting a quality RHD shutdown dman with term, also cap friendly and a potential solid top 6 winger. This may not be the trade but this is worst case the min the leafs will take for him and if they don't get that in think they will bite the bullet and keep such a disappointment of a player.
Trades
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the ARI
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$73,000,000$60,645,809$512,000$4,915,000$12,354,191
Left WingCentreRight Wing
$900,000$900,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
C
UFA - 3
$686,667$686,667 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$4,250,000$4,250,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,200,000$4,200,000
C, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW
UFA - 3
$2,950,000$2,950,000
RW, LW, C
UFA - 2
$4,500,000$4,500,000
C
UFA - 6
$2,500,000$2,500,000
RW, C
UFA - 2
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$863,333$863,333
C
UFA - 2
$736,666$736,666 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
RW
UFA - 2
$612,500$612,500
RW, LW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 6
$3,857,143$3,857,143
RD
UFA - 4
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
UFA - 5
$4,050,000$4,050,000
LD
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
G
UFA - 1
$1,200,000$1,200,000
LD
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
RD
UFA - 2
$1,250,000$1,250,000
LD
UFA - 2
$600,000$600,000
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$5,250,000$5,250,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 4
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 11, 2017 at 9:42 a.m.
Suffering Isles Fan
This is a joke, right?
Jan. 11, 2017 at 10:00 a.m.
Quoting: BLough17
This is a joke, right?

YES, Nylander has tremendous upside and like I said Nylander is staying with the leafs. This is telling type of trade that would make the leafs reconsider trading him. He has Defensive issues right now but he is learning just like Kadri was and he could develop into a more creative Kadri.
Jan. 11, 2017 at 10:07 a.m.
Suffering Isles Fan
Quoting: hockeymad
This is a joke, right?

YES, Nylander has tremendous upside and like I said Nylander is staying with the leafs. This is telling type of trade that would make the leafs reconsider trading him. He has Defensive issues right now but he is learning just like Kadri was and he could develop into a more creative Kadri.
I meant the trade.
Jan. 11, 2017 at 10:11 a.m.
Banned
Because Leaf fans are not the sharpest knives in the drawer.

All preseason we saw JVR/Bozak/Komorov traded all over because their contracts are up soon so better move them! All these players that Leaf fans want to move are more than likely the reason the Leafs are playing so well. Leaf fans subconsciously want to be bottom dwellers forever.
Jan. 11, 2017 at 10:15 a.m.
Quoting: hockeymad

I meant the trade.

The Islanders were the only team that immediately came to mind for who has players that met the criteria for the trade. Hamonic is not untradable but it would take a quality young player to peak their interest. Snow would have to be stupid to trade Hamonic.
Jan. 11, 2017 at 10:33 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: DirtyDangles

All preseason we saw JVR/Bozak/Komorov traded all over because their contracts are up soon so better move them! All these players that Leaf fans want to move are more than likely the reason the Leafs are playing so well. Leaf fans subconsciously want to be bottom dwellers forever.

Dangles. Unfortunately this site encourages more "trading" than "team building". And many Leaf fans on this site, seem to think it necessary to trade all upcoming UFAs (even the ones that come up in 2018) at the expense of winning (winning by Leaf standards) for. this year and next.
I really wonder about the depth of knowledge of many fans when it seem Bozak or JVR are trading constantly to contenders. Aren't there other player on other teams who may not make the playoffs available for trades also?
An example a few months ago was the Tanev trades from Vancouver. Seems like 60% of the trades had Tanev coming to the Leafs. Couldn't their been other teams that would have valued Tanev also?

Your last line might be right for some Leaf fans. Seem that some want to trade, trade, trade since the Leafs aren't winning the Cup this year or next and then by magic, all these trades (which. keep the Leafs out of the playoffs will magically in the future make them Cup winners. So from out of the playoffs with Matthews, and friends for another four years and then suddenly five years a Cup winner.
Again, it seems to lack of thought and what it makes to build a team, which will make a winner.
Jan. 11, 2017 at 10:35 a.m.
Leafs fans aren't used to having 3 amazing young forwards so some subconscious compulsion to be **** is causing the fans to want to get rid of one of them.

I don't understand why Nylander, he could easily have more impact than Marner in the future. Marner with all his amazing vision etc is very risky in the neutral zone and often gives up 2-on-1s and obviously isn't that good along the boards due to his size. On the other hand Nylander is pretty amazing down low / on the half boards for a very skilled guy. Idk, I love Mitch as well but I think Nylander is very underrated for some reason. I bet if Nylander was playing with Bozak/JVR rather than a shutdown role / some time with Matthews he would be outscoring Marner.
Jan. 11, 2017 at 11:46 a.m.
Quoting: palhal
Quoting: DirtyDangles

Dangles. Unfortunately this site encourages more "trading" than "team building". And many Leaf fans on this site, seem to think it necessary to trade all upcoming UFAs (even the ones that come up in 2018) at the expense of winning (winning by Leaf standards) for. this year and next.
I really wonder about the depth of knowledge of many fans when it seem Bozak or JVR are trading constantly to contenders. Aren't there other player on other teams who may not make the playoffs available for trades also?
An example a few months ago was the Tanev trades from Vancouver. Seems like 60% of the trades had Tanev coming to the Leafs. Couldn't their been other teams that would have valued Tanev also?

Your last line might be right for some Leaf fans. Seem that some want to trade, trade, trade since the Leafs aren't winning the Cup this year or next and then by magic, all these trades (which. keep the Leafs out of the playoffs will magically in the future make them Cup winners. So from out of the playoffs with Matthews, and friends for another four years and then suddenly five years a Cup winner.
Again, it seems to lack of thought and what it makes to build a team, which will make a winner.

Though I wouldn't trade JVR for just any player. IF the Leafs were to get some quality prospects and a 1st I think it would be considered. Shanahan has stated that they are still in rebuild and that a Kessel type trade without retaining money would be listened to. For example if MTL offered Jullsen, Fucale, De la Rose and depth player with no year remaining and a 1st I think it would be listen to. But no I agree JVR and Bozak will not be traded for the sake of trading.
Jan. 11, 2017 at 5:29 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
hockeymad: Bottom of the rounds first aren't that meaningful compared to what CapFriendlyGms think they are. Kessel was traded cause he was an average NHL player making 8m a year. His trade was a long term cap dump. Please don't look at the stats and say he was the Leafs best player. The player he is in Pittsburg is considerably better than what he did as a Leaf.
The Leafs are ahead of schedule in their rebuild, though we'll see by April where it really is. And believe or not, the rebuild includes, pushing for the playoffs, making the playoffs and not endlessly trading for maybes.
Jan. 11, 2017 at 5:35 p.m.
Quoting: palhal
hockeymad: Bottom of the rounds first aren't that meaningful compared to what CapFriendlyGms think they are. Kessel was traded cause he was an average NHL player making 8m a year. His trade was a long term cap dump. Please don't look at the stats and say he was the Leafs best player. The player he is in Pittsburg is considerably better than what he did as a Leaf.
The Leafs are ahead of schedule in their rebuild, though we'll see by April where it really is. And believe or not, the rebuild includes, pushing for the playoffs, making the playoffs and not endlessly trading for maybes.

I agree but the team the player is in is considerably better as well. Kessel is the same guy, the team is not the same. Take Kessel now and drop him in Colorado or Arizona (plus the media microscope) and its the same smell as it was in T.O.
Jan. 11, 2017 at 8:02 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Sorry Marco no. Kessel might be the same guy (most people including myself like Phil). But he certainly isn't the same player now as he was in Toronto. He never engaged defensively, was on every power play so let's no overwhelmed by the stats. And this media microscope....false. Brian, The Brain, Burke started bringing up this subject when the team was constantly near the bottom. He blamed the media and allowed others on the team to use "the microscope" as a crutch. The media in Toronto is very soft and its players and are rarely criticized. Where Phil really felt pressure, was especially in the last half season as a Leaf and it was through public forums. He was brutal as an NHL hockey player. Well if you're a pro athlete, and people pay to see you play/work or at least spend their time watching you, your play will be judged. But please it wasn't the media. If anything blame the hockey fans who realized Kessel was contributing little to the team. Good for Phil that he got a fresh start and is playing well.
But anyone who think the media (newspaper, TV and radio commentators are harsh to it's hometown players have just been swept up by the public forums or believe what Brian Burke says about hockey life in Toronto.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll