Forums/Armchair-GM

pens need to add to beat caps this year

Created by: djsuperdock
Team: 2016-17 Pittsburgh Penguins
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 11, 2017
Published: Jan. 11, 2017
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Been watching the Pens all year and I don't think that the current roster is able to repeat with how strong the East looks. Two things stand out to me.
1. Our D give up so much space at the blue line, allowing a lot of free entries and I believe that has led to the high shots-against average. I think some better skating from our blue line could cut down on those situations. Shattenkirk is a pending UFA so his value is not too high for STL, and Fleury provides goaltending that they desperately need if they think they have a shot in the playoffs. His acquisition would allow Daley to play on the left side and keep Schultz in his more sheltered role on the 3rd pairing.
2. Pens seem to be short on production at even strength on the wings (again). Hornqvist, Kunitz and Hagelin, even Kessel to some extent are not producing or driving play during 5 on 5. Sheary and Rust are solid players but it makes me nervous to count on them as Crosby's permanent wingers. It looks to me like DET has to rebuild, and Tatar fits the Penguins need of a cheap winger who can chip in with goals. His stock is not too high with 9 goals through 40 games, therefore I think he could be acquired without paying the king's ransom.
PLEASE COMMENT IF YOU THINK THE TRADES ARE FAIR. That's at least what I want to see on this website.. if you guys think I'm crazy or not...
Trades
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$73,000,000$66,934,475$0$772,500$6,065,525
Left WingCentreRight Wing
$667,500$667,500 (Performance Bonus$257,500$258K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$8,700,000$8,700,000
C
NMC
UFA - 9
$6,800,000$6,800,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 6
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$9,500,000$9,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 6
$4,250,000$4,250,000
RW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$1,875,000$1,875,000
LW
UFA - 3
$1,900,000$1,900,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$640,000$640,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$3,850,000$3,850,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$625,000$625,000
RW
UFA - 2
$734,167$734,167 (Performance Bonus$257,500$258K)
LW, RW
UFA - 3
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$3,333,225$3,333,225
LD
UFA - 6
$7,250,000$7,250,000
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 6
$3,300,000$3,300,000
RD
UFA - 1
$2,592,500$2,592,500
RD
UFA - 1
$628,333$628,333 (Performance Bonus$257,500$258K)
G
UFA - 1
$2,100,000$2,100,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$1,400,000$1,400,000
RD
UFA - 1
$1,125,000$1,125,000
G
UFA - 2
$800,000$800,000
LD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$3,750,000$3,750,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 12, 2017 at 12:21 a.m.
I dont hate the idea of getting Shattenkirk for the playoff push, assuming the Blues are willing to part with him. That said, do the Blues really want $10Million in goalies between Allen and Fleury. Unless the Blues will either flip him before the deadline as to not lose him for nothing in the expansion draft or lose Allen. OR another option might be for Pittsburgh to send something back to St. Louis as a sweetener as a sort of "Take this guy off our plate so that we don't lose him for nothing and we'll give you ___________ so that when you lose him to expansion, you'll have gotten the extra player/prospect"

I'd like the deal if,
Pittsburgh trades:
-Fleury
-Cole
-Dipauli

St. Louis trades:
- Shattenkirk
- Hutton
- 3rd Round Pick

Am I wrong in trying to balance it this way, for expansion purposes?
Jan. 12, 2017 at 2:26 a.m.
How could you ever offer that trade for Tatar?! Obviously you don't want enough hockey and want to make the Pens worse..glad people like you aren't a GM!
Jan. 12, 2017 at 9:29 a.m.
Quoting: KPasty
I dont hate the idea of getting Shattenkirk for the playoff push, assuming the Blues are willing to part with him. That said, do the Blues really want $10Million in goalies between Allen and Fleury. Unless the Blues will either flip him before the deadline as to not lose him for nothing in the expansion draft or lose Allen. OR another option might be for Pittsburgh to send something back to St. Louis as a sweetener as a sort of "Take this guy off our plate so that we don't lose him for nothing and we'll give you ___________ so that when you lose him to expansion, you'll have gotten the extra player/prospect"

I'd like the deal if,
Pittsburgh trades:
-Fleury
-Cole
-Dipauli

St. Louis trades:
- Shattenkirk
- Hutton
- 3rd Round Pick

Am I wrong in trying to balance it this way, for expansion purposes?

I have no idea how your suggested trade and comment make sense together. Under your trade the blues still would have 10M in goalies, while getting back even more money in Cole who they already traded once. I don't think Dipauli has much value, blues would probably much rather hold on to their 3rd rd pick.
Jan. 12, 2017 at 9:42 a.m.
Quoting: Pens141994
How could you ever offer that trade for Tatar?! Obviously you don't want enough hockey and want to make the Pens worse..glad people like you aren't a GM!

I could offer this trade because the only LW on the pens who has ever scored 20 goals in a season is Kunitz.. don't think he is gonna repeat that performance. Crosby is not gonna keep shooting at over 20 percent. I don't even feel like the pens are giving up too much in this trade
Jan. 12, 2017 at 10:21 a.m.
Pens fans, please stop trading Fleury like he has the same value he had 3 years ago! I'm not saying he isn't still good but GM's are smart, they see he's lost a step and could be available for cheap near the expansion draft if he ends up waiving his NMC. And if he doesn't? Then they can make a pitch for your actual #1 goalie Murray who will be the expansion draft casualty if not traded otherwise. Not too mention that there are a bunch of decently good goalies available. If Fleury was the only guy of his calibre available then ok but he really isn't! Bishop, Miller, Varlamov, Howard, Halak, Mason, Pavelec, Elliot, Mrazek, etc.

Fleury has little value not because he isn't still decently good but because of circumstance. It's unfortunate but its the truth.
Jan. 12, 2017 at 10:48 a.m.
Quoting: F50marco
Fleury has little value not because he isn't still decently good but because of circumstance. It's unfortunate but its the truth.

Completely agree. Fleury is an average to slightly above average goalie with a market value contract. In fact, if his numbers continue to decline, he'd be overpaid. I would be absolutely shocked if the Pens get anything better than a 3rd round pick for him without retaining salary. He may end up being a part of a bigger trade, but the Pens are in a position of weakness trying to deal Fleury.

I think this trade for Tartar may make the Pens slightly better this year, but I'm not sure I like the loss of a 1st plus weakening their depth both at forward and defense.
Jan. 12, 2017 at 12:09 p.m.
Quoting: F50marco
Pens fans, please stop trading Fleury like he has the same value he had 3 years ago! I'm not saying he isn't still good but GM's are smart, they see he's lost a step and could be available for cheap near the expansion draft if he ends up waiving his NMC. And if he doesn't? Then they can make a pitch for your actual #1 goalie Murray who will be the expansion draft casualty if not traded otherwise. Not too mention that there are a bunch of decently good goalies available. If Fleury was the only guy of his calibre available then ok but he really isn't! Bishop, Miller, Varlamov, Howard, Halak, Mason, Pavelec, Elliot, Mrazek, etc.

I'm not just throwing out another random Fleury trade like you see many of on this site. Try to think about the Blues' situation and not just the fact that you think Fleury has "lost a step." STL currently has the worst save percentage in the NHL; they've stuck with Allen to this point and he has given them a .902 sv% despite the Blues only giving up 27.9 shots per game, suggesting that their D has been solid. Hutton Carter has done worse in his time in net. Do you think that management in STL will trust Allen to pull out of his slump in a big way for playoffs? On this site I only suggest Fleury trades to teams that seem to be in win-now mode, in my trade the biggest assumption I make is that STL is in win-now mode. I am unsure of whether or not STL plans on re-signing Shattenkirk, but if they're not looking to re-sign this trade addresses a major area of weakness for the team without giving up any real assets. You have a big list of goalies but I truly think Fleury is the most valuable of all of them. His numbers have gotten better as he's gotten more time in net, he has won a cup, and his team gives up a lot of shots. There is a lot of evidence that he is still a #1 goaltender. Don't forget, last year he posted his best sv%. Murray just got hot at the right time.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll