SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Trade Machine Proposals

Drouin-Skinner

Created by: Scabitant
Published: May 2, 2021 at 12:00 a.m.
Salary Cap: $81,500,000
Season Days: 1/116 (1%)
Central Registry Determination: This trade has met the central registry's trade checklist

Logo of the Buffalo SabresBuffalo Sabres

Trade occurred while using LTIR
LTIR Relief: $2,200,000
LTIR Used Prior to Trade: -$2,999,210
OutStatusRetained SalaryEffective Cap HitRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Skinner, JeffBuffalo SabresNHL19%$7,290,000111---0000--
InStatusRetained SalaryEffective Cap HitRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Drouin, JonathanMontreal CanadiensLTIR-$5,500,000011---0000--
ChangeCap SpaceRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Initial$5,199,2102642573812
Change$1,790,000-100000
Final$6,989,210 (↑)25 (↓)42573812000

Logo of the Montreal CanadiensMontreal Canadiens

Trade occurred while using LTIR
LTIR Relief: $9,250,000
LTIR Used Prior to Trade: $4,951,666
OutStatusRetained SalaryEffective Cap HitRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Drouin, JonathanMontreal CanadiensLTIR-$5,500,000011---0000--
InStatusRetained SalaryEffective Cap HitRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Skinner, JeffBuffalo SabresNHL19%$7,290,000111---0000--
ChangeCap SpaceRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Initial$4,298,3342548693814
Change-$1,790,000100000
Final$2,508,334 (↓)26 (↑)48693814000
May 2, 2021 at 12:02 a.m.
Are Buffalo and Skinner struggling enough that they could be tempted with an escape from that contract? A bit of salary retention to make the players basically even value for the remaining year's of Drouin's contract, then Montreal still has Skinner for 4 mores years, while Buffalo just has $1.8M cap hit instead.
Tntpod liked this.
May 2, 2021 at 12:02 a.m.
Banned
Sabres need to add two firsts.
Gmonwy and Tntpod liked this.
May 2, 2021 at 10:27 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: Scabitant
Are Buffalo and Skinner struggling enough that they could be tempted with an escape from that contract? A bit of salary retention to make the players basically even value for the remaining year's of Drouin's contract, then Montreal still has Skinner for 4 mores years, while Buffalo just has $1.8M cap hit instead.

Is buffalo willing to? Uhhhhhhhhhh ya. I think they would retain 50% to do this. Legit think they need to add two first rounders minimum to get this deal done.
May 2, 2021 at 11:51 a.m.
Quoting: CMcAvoy73
Is buffalo willing to? Uhhhhhhhhhh ya. I think they would retain 50% to do this. Legit think they need to add two first rounders minimum to get this deal done.

They're definitely willing to move it, but they're not desperate enough to throw 2 first rounders in, esp for a guy like Drouin. I'd rather live with the contract of Skinner, keep the firsts and build with his anchor than take on another issue like Drouin. He won't help this franchise.
May 2, 2021 at 12:21 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Quoting: Dutchies
They're definitely willing to move it, but they're not desperate enough to throw 2 first rounders in, esp for a guy like Drouin. I'd rather live with the contract of Skinner, keep the firsts and build with his anchor than take on another issue like Drouin. He won't help this franchise.

I absolutely agree that Buffalo shouldn’t be trading any assets just to save cap, but how on earth is Drouin an issue?
May 2, 2021 at 12:21 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Ignoring age and how good the players are, where on earth are the habs going to find that extra cap space?
May 2, 2021 at 12:29 p.m.
Banned

Agreed. Buffalo shouldn’t pay what it would take to move skinner, but that doesn’t change what the cost is.
Dutchies liked this.
May 2, 2021 at 3:47 p.m.
Quoting: Kotkaniemi15
I absolutely agree that Buffalo shouldn’t be trading any assets just to save cap, but how on earth is Drouin an issue?

Drouin's compete level has been an issue through out his career. He's a player that you never know what you're going to get when he's on the ice. He has immense talent, but an attitude issue, and there are many games where he just floats around. Tampa knew what they had, and weren't afraid to move him, which says something about his character. He's underperforming to his contract (not in the way Skinner is, but still), and it seems he now has off ice issues as well.
Scabitant liked this.
May 2, 2021 at 3:55 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Drouin's compete level has been an issue through out his career. He's a player that you never know what you're going to get when he's on the ice. He has immense talent, but an attitude issue, and there are many games where he just floats around. Tampa knew what they had, and weren't afraid to move him, which says something about his character. He's underperforming to his contract (not in the way Skinner is, but still), and it seems he now has off ice issues as well.

I have no idea what happened in Tampa, but you clearly haven’t been paying any attention to him in Montréal. He’s a really nice guy, and no one has ever had any problem with his attitude. He’s very soft-spoken, and has been a great teammate the entire time. He’s done nothing but be a great pro while having to deal with the endless amount of bullsh*t that the media and quote unquote “fans” pile on him.

On the ice he definitely does struggle a bit with confidence in his shot, and he should shoot the puck more, but no one’s ever called anyone a bad person because they’re not selfish.
May 2, 2021 at 5:26 p.m.
I have no idea what happened in Tampa, but you clearly haven’t been paying any attention to him in Montréal. He’s a really nice guy, and no one has ever had any problem with his attitude. He’s very soft-spoken, and has been a great teammate the entire time. He’s done nothing but be a great pro while having to deal with the endless amount of bullsh*t that the media and quote unquote “fans” pile on him.

On the ice he definitely does struggle a bit with confidence in his shot, and he should shoot the puck more, but no one’s ever called anyone a bad person because they’re not selfish.

No one said he's not a 'nice guy', i think people question his work ethic. in tampa he refused to report to their minor league affiliate, basically forcing a trade. As soon as he did I knew Montreal would end up wearing him. Probably the smartest move Bergevin ever made, not from a hockey standpoint, but for his personal career. Bought himself so much public relations credit by bringing in the hometown boy. His contract is not terrible, but he is inconsistent, and expectations are insane.

Skinner has a significantly longer track record, and they both have similar points per game over their career. Change of scenery and expectations would be good for both of them, I think.
Dutchies liked this.
May 2, 2021 at 6:09 p.m.

No offence, but since you're a Habs fan your viewpoint is a little biased. Not saying it's wrong, as I don't have first hand knowledge. but I'm just going off of what I have heard (and I do have contacts in NHL circles). He might be a nice guy, but as @Scabitant pointed out, his work ethic (and self appointed superstar attitude) makes him a risk, especially going to a team like Buffalo that needs quality players, both on and off the ice. that franchise needs a lot of fixing, and it definitely would not be a good idea to start it with a player like Drouin.
May 2, 2021 at 6:42 p.m.
Ignoring age and how good the players are, where on earth are the habs going to find that extra cap space?

you just dont resign tatar, no problem with the money.
May 2, 2021 at 10:27 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
you just dont resign tatar, no problem with the money.

We already can’t re-sign Tatar as-is, so that doesn’t solve anything.
May 2, 2021 at 10:32 p.m.
We already can’t re-sign Tatar as-is, so that doesn’t solve anything.

I posted an armchair previously as well where this setup works for Montreal, at least as far as the salary cap is concerned. It was called 'Pas de Drouin'
May 2, 2021 at 10:33 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
No offence, but since you're a Habs fan your viewpoint is a little biased. Not saying it's wrong, as I don't have first hand knowledge. but I'm just going off of what I have heard (and I do have contacts in NHL circles). He might be a nice guy, but as @Scabitant pointed out, his work ethic (and self appointed superstar attitude) makes him a risk, especially going to a team like Buffalo that needs quality players, both on and off the ice. that franchise needs a lot of fixing, and it definitely would not be a good idea to start it with a player like Drouin.

I don’t understand where the idea of a lack of worth ethic comes from. Just because he isn’t getting into the dirty areas like Gallagher doesn’t mean he isn’t trying his hardest. I guess someone could interpret Drouin’s skill set of being a playmaker above all else as lazy, but anyone who’s watched hockey for a decent amount of time knows that just because you aren’t overly physical or the fastest player on the ice doesn’t mean you’re not a hard worker.
May 2, 2021 at 10:37 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
I posted an armchair previously as well where this setup works for Montreal, at least as far as the salary cap is concerned. It was called 'Pas de Drouin'

Danault & KK won’t be that cheap, and you’re looking at around $1.5 million (or more) in performance bonus overages going into the year where Suzuki & Romanov both need new deals. (With KK and Caufield up the year after)
May 2, 2021 at 10:37 p.m.
Refusing to report when assigned to a new role at your workplace doesn't come under work ethics for ya?

Then when the conditions are suitable enough for him to even show up, he is inconsistent.
Dutchies liked this.
May 2, 2021 at 10:39 p.m.
Danault & KK won’t be that cheap, and you’re looking at around $1.5 million (or more) in performance bonus overages going into the year where Suzuki & Romanov both need new deals. (With KK and Caufield up the year after)

3.5M from Chiarot and 1.8M from Kulak should go a good way towards that, always room for future moves too. Would suck to let Chiarot go, but we have a lot invested in certain other defensive players haha

As for KK, he hasnt out produced Lehkonen or Armia really... you can get him on another shorter contract at a lowwer price still- but we shall see.
Kotkaniemi15 liked this.
May 2, 2021 at 11:00 p.m.
I don’t understand where the idea of a lack of worth ethic comes from. Just because he isn’t getting into the dirty areas like Gallagher doesn’t mean he isn’t trying his hardest. I guess someone could interpret Drouin’s skill set of being a playmaker above all else as lazy, but anyone who’s watched hockey for a decent amount of time knows that just because you aren’t overly physical or the fastest player on the ice doesn’t mean you’re not a hard worker.

One thing I've learned in life thanks to my ex wife is to never argue with a French Habs fan, cause they're always right. LOL

And anyone who watches hockey can see that he's not going 100% all of the time. It has nothing to do with being physical. He's not that player. It's all around effort.
May 3, 2021 at 9:21 a.m.
Former Hockey Fan
One thing I've learned in life thanks to my ex wife is to never argue with a French Habs fan, cause they're always right. LOL

And anyone who watches hockey can see that he's not going 100% all of the time. It has nothing to do with being physical. He's not that player. It's all around effort.

I’m not french, and I have no idea how that has anything to do with anything.
Scabitant liked this.
May 3, 2021 at 11:24 a.m.
I’m not french, and I have no idea how that has anything to do with anything.

It was a joke LOL.
May 3, 2021 at 11:59 p.m.
Mangler
With out picks sabres say sure, to add even a first rather keep skinner. Habs don't need him

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll