Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
For the Canucks to be competitive next season, they will need the following:
- Two second line wingers
- A third line center
- A top four defenseman

Moves to be made:
- Buyout Roussel and Virtanen
- Holtby to Seattle (add a piece if needed)
- (Potential other buyout candidate if he isn't selected)

Huge Question:
- Will Beagle play next year?

Role of the Second Line:
- Cap Space is an issue
- Strong xGF and defensive presence
- Sacrificing offense to allocate stronger depth down the lineup

Trades for needed pieces:
- Troy Terry has been a player rumoured to be on the trade block, would fit the competitive timeline.
- A second rounder might seem steep but it would probably be the price
- Lockwood is exempt so they don't have to expose him
- Graves would be left exposed by Colorado
- Jett Woo is exempt from the expansion draft (not sure of his value but looks to be a year away)
- A conditional pick that escalates up to through 2023
- What would Graves cost?

Free Agency:
- Leverage buyers market and Covid prices
- Granlund and Tatar fit the description of the role for the second line
- Most likely players who will get less than they have right now
- Anyone else out there that could fit this role for cheaper?

Edits:
- Hoglander AAV fixed to $1.1M
- Hughes hit all schedule A bonuses so $700K (It only says $750K because that is the minimum)
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$925,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$7,500,000
4$6,500,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$750,000
1$3,000,000
1$3,000,000
1$750,000
1$1,500,000
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Hoglander, Nils
3$1,100,000
Hughes, Signing Bonuses
1$750,000
Trades
ANA
  1. 2021 2nd round pick (VAN)
VAN
  1. Graves, Ryan
Additional Details:
Expansion target for Top 4 D-man
COL
  1. Lockwood, William
  2. Woo, Jett
Additional Details:
Conditional Pick
Buyouts
Recapture Fees
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$80,595,660$648,780$882,500$904,340

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Vancouver Canucks
$5,250,000$5,250,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 2
$7,500,000$7,500,000
C, LW
UFA - 3
$5,875,000$5,875,000
RW
UFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$4,125,000$4,125,000
C
UFA - 2
$3,000,000$3,000,000
C, RW
UFA - 4
$3,250,000$3,250,000
LW
NTC
UFA - 3
Logo of the Anaheim Ducks
$1,450,000$1,450,000
RW
UFA - 2
Hoglander, Nils
$1,100,000$1,100,000
$1,225,000$1,225,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
C
UFA
$925,000$925,000
RW, LW
RFA - 3
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$6,500,000$6,500,000
LD
UFA - 6
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RD
UFA - 2
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
UFA - 5
Logo of the Colorado Avalanche
$3,166,667$3,166,667
LD
UFA - 2
$5,950,000$5,950,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$811,667$811,667 (Performance Bonus$32,500$32K)
G
RFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LD
UFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 3
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$725,000$725,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Hughes, Signing Bonuses
$750,000$750,000
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$725,000$725,000
RD
UFA - 1
$891,667$891,667 (Performance Bonus$200,000$200K)
LW, RW
RFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 26, 2021 at 12:17 p.m.
Ducks are not trading Terry, There is no "rumor" about him being on the trade block thats just flat out false, He's a building block for the Ducks not a trade chip. His two way game took huge steps forward this year, he was arguably our best forward this season.

If he did get dealt its in a package for a huge upgrade (Eichel, Laine, etc) not to a division rival for a second round pick

Easily declined by ANA
hockeybadger liked this.
May 26, 2021 at 12:20 p.m.
May 26, 2021 at 12:25 p.m.
More than what you're offering for Graves.
hockeybadger liked this.
May 26, 2021 at 12:25 p.m.
hockeybadger
Quoting: Salzy
Ducks are not trading Terry, There is no "rumor" about him being on the trade block thats just flat out false, He's a building block for the Ducks not a trade chip. His two way game took huge steps forward this year, he was arguably our best forward this season.

If he did get dealt its in a package for a huge upgrade (Eichel, Laine, etc) not to a division rival for a second round pick

Easily declined by ANA

Okay all good, just from what I had read (not on this site LOL) it seemed like there was rumours about him.

As a Ducks fan, who will be their protect forwards/potentially exposed players?
May 26, 2021 at 12:28 p.m.
hockeybadger
Quoting: TJTwolf
More than what you're offering for Graves.

What if that conditional 2023 pick slide up from a 3rd to a 2nd based on some parameters that would be pretty easy to reach (i.e. GP)?
May 26, 2021 at 12:31 p.m.
not really interested in any of that for Graves. Sure there is a bit of value there but Woo or Lockwood are not making the Avs roster helping them push for a cup. Graves does

And no the XD doesnt force them to do anything, they have to lose a player no matter what so if its graves, that sucks but it saves them from losing Donskoi or vise versa. Plus if they wanted to, the cost of paying to keep Graves wont be more than a 2nd round pick if that, so unless they are getting more value than a 2nd round pick and help on the NHL roster. They dont touch deals liek that
hockeybadger and TJTwolf liked this.
May 26, 2021 at 12:32 p.m.
hockeybadger
Quoting: coga16
not really interested in any of that for Graves. Sure there is a bit of value there but Woo or Lockwood are not making the Avs roster helping them push for a cup. Graves does

And no the XD doesnt force them to do anything, they have to lose a player no matter what so if its graves, that sucks but it saves them from losing Donskoi or vise versa. Plus if they wanted to, the cost of paying to keep Graves wont be more than a 2nd round pick if that, so unless they are getting more value than a 2nd round pick and help on the NHL roster. They dont touch deals liek that

Quoting: telmax
What if that conditional 2023 pick slide up from a 3rd to a 2nd based on some parameters that would be pretty easy to reach (i.e. GP)?

That's why I said this
May 26, 2021 at 12:32 p.m.
Okay all good, just from what I had read (not on this site LOL) it seemed like there was rumours about him.

As a Ducks fan, who will be their protect forwards/potentially exposed players?

He looked like a true 2-way top 6 forward this year, easily the most improved forward on the Ducks (Not counting Comtois)

Protection would be (As of today, imo)
7-3-1 (Not in brackets = most likely, in brackets outside shots)
Terry, Lundestrom, Rakell, Silf, Steel, Jones, Heinen (Volkov, Henrique)
Fowler, Lindholm, Manson (Fleury, Mahura)
Gibson

Comtois, Zegras, Drysdale notable exempt

Notable exposed:
Henrique (Cap hit makes him unlikely to be picked)
Volkov (Didnt prove enough to be protected over Heinen, Jones, Steel, Lundestrom)
Milano (Same boat as Volkov but with injuries)
4th line (Grant, Deslauriers, Rowney)

Shattenkirk (please take him SEA, he's terrible)
Mahura (Decently good upside young LHD could be interesting pick)
Fleury (SEA GM Ron Francis drafted him in CAR, my money is on him to be the pick)

Stolarz (Darkhorse for SEA to take imo, has looked very good while in the Ducks Org)
hockeybadger liked this.
May 26, 2021 at 12:33 p.m.
That's why I said this

and 2nd and guys that wont make the roster is not the justifiable value I was talking about. Prospects would could fill a need on the roster next year will make the avs interested, but a punch of long out future pieces, nah just keep graves and roll the chips in XD
TJTwolf liked this.
May 26, 2021 at 12:34 p.m.
hockeybadger
Quoting: coga16
and 2nd and guys that wont make the roster is not the justifiable value I was talking about. Prospects would could fill a need on the roster next year will make the avs interested, but a punch of long out future pieces, nah just keep graves and roll the chips in XD

So you'd rather just lose him for nothing? Okay.
May 26, 2021 at 12:35 p.m.
So you'd rather just lose him for nothing? Okay.

yes bc they have to lose a player no matter what

Whats better Lose Graves in a trade that you get 0 NHL help with while they compete for the cup, plus losing Donskoi, Nichushkin or Jost in XD

OR just losing Graves. (or who knows, there is no guarantee its graves)

I would rather only lose 1 good player on the roster vs multiple
Salzy and TJTwolf liked this.
May 26, 2021 at 12:36 p.m.
Judd Bracket ripoff
Honestly don’t think any of these new additions outside of Tatar really move the needle. Graves is basically a bottom pairing reliable two way D, terry could become a really good 3C but yet to be determined. Besides, I doubt he’s for sale. I don’t think Grandlund is better than Hoglander, and I think Podkolzin will be good enough to handle 3rd line minutes.

Imo, don’t sign grandlund, replace him with MacEwan or Lind or who ever, move up hoglander and Podkolzin in the lineup, and use the cap savings to pay Tatar what he is actually worth. If you can’t get terry, sign Sutter as a one year stop gap. Canucks have to years to get good, you don’t need to try and do it all in one offseason
May 26, 2021 at 12:37 p.m.

To get the Avs interested in trading Graves I think it takes a second plus. The plus being either a low cap roster player who can jump straight in on the third/fourth line or else a prospect who swings the needle which neither of those really do. Otherwise he's open to the expansion draft with him or Donskoi likely taken or Compher as an outside bet. Whichever way, the Avs lose a good player so they aren't going to trade another for anything less than their worth, and lose on two.
May 26, 2021 at 12:42 p.m.
Also....... if Troy Terry only costs a second I'd hope the Avs would take a punt at bringing him home to Colorado.
hockeybadger liked this.
May 26, 2021 at 12:56 p.m.
I don't know why anyone would think Drance knows how to build a NHL team . Hasn't he been moved around multiple times in the last few years?
Buying out Roussel makes absolute no sense. You save 1.3 mil this year and pay 633 K next year. Burying him in Abbottsford you save 1.1 mil this year no cap hit next year.
I seriously doubt Seattle take Holtby . Why would they ? He is expensive and sucks. They could get Jake Allen for near half the cost and he actually can stop pucks.
qwertymann and major_hassle liked this.
May 26, 2021 at 1:13 p.m.
Quoting: BubbleDemko
I don't know why anyone would think Drance knows how to build a NHL team . Hasn't he been moved around multiple times in the last few years?
Buying out Roussel makes absolute no sense. You save 1.3 mil this year and pay 633 K next year. Burying him in Abbottsford you save 1.1 mil this year no cap hit next year.
I seriously doubt Seattle take Holtby . Why would they ? He is expensive and sucks. They could get Jake Allen for near half the cost and he actually can stop pucks.

Agreed about Roussel. I cannot comprehend why people keep buying him out. Virtanen makes perfect sense for a buyout, Holtby is also a great buyout candidate if you cant move him another way and if you're desperate you buyout Loui. Thats all, those are the candidates, nobody else.
OldManRutherford liked this.
May 26, 2021 at 1:16 p.m.
Quoting: qwertymann
Agreed about Roussel. I cannot comprehend why people keep buying him out. Virtanen makes perfect sense for a buyout, Holtby is also a great buyout candidate if you cant move him another way and if you're desperate you buyout Loui. Thats all, those are the candidates, nobody else.

Exactly Holtby and Jake are the ONLY two buyouts that make sense.
major_hassle liked this.
May 26, 2021 at 1:24 p.m.

Been thinking though. Maybe SEA takes Holtby in a trade. For example, SEA selects Highmore/Macewen then trade future considerations for Holtby (0.8m retained) and they can flip him. I think there is a legit trade market for Holtby for 1 year at 1.75 (if he is retained again). Then SEA gains an extra asset and VAN doesnt have to buy him out and deal with his 1.9 caphit next season...
May 26, 2021 at 1:30 p.m.
Been thinking though. Maybe SEA takes Holtby in a trade. For example, SEA selects Highmore/Macewen then trade future considerations for Holtby (0.8m retained) and they can flip him. I think there is a legit trade market for Holtby for 1 year at 1.75 (if he is retained again). Then SEA gains an extra asset and VAN doesnt have to buy him out and deal with his 1.9 caphit next season...

Can you imagine the backlash from media and general public if Benning trades Holtby to Seattle and give up assets and Seattle turn around and trade Holtby for more assets? I hope and am pretty sure before the E Draft every GM has talked to one another to see what deals are out there.
May 26, 2021 at 1:35 p.m.
Can you imagine the backlash from media and general public if Benning trades Holtby to Seattle and give up assets and Seattle turn around and trade Holtby for more assets? I hope and am pretty sure before the E Draft every GM has talked to one another to see what deals are out there.

But these are 2 different situations. Say there is a trade to be made for Holtby, it wont be at his 4.3 caphit. So VAN has to retain. If they retain 50% thats 2.15m against this year's cap so you may as well just buy him out because you need money this year. If that's the case SEA still needs to select a guy from VAN so thats a Juolevi/Highmore/Lind/MacEwen anyways.... but if you retain a bit then there is incentive for SEA to take on that money and have to figure out a way to proceed and VAN can wipe their hands clean.
May 26, 2021 at 1:41 p.m.
But these are 2 different situations. Say there is a trade to be made for Holtby, it wont be at his 4.3 caphit. So VAN has to retain. If they retain 50% thats 2.15m against this year's cap so you may as well just buy him out because you need money this year. If that's the case SEA still needs to select a guy from VAN so thats a Juolevi/Highmore/Lind/MacEwen anyways.... but if you retain a bit then there is incentive for SEA to take on that money and have to figure out a way to proceed and VAN can wipe their hands clean.

Anything and everything is possible . I am keying on Seattle to take Roussel and someone like Juolevi because Roussel has no value on a buyout. After Bennings big speech last week he can not come back with Roussle Beagle or Eriksson as an active player on the Canucks. All three have to go and none of them makes any sense to buy out. It is going to be a fun few weeks.
May 26, 2021 at 2:04 p.m.
hockeybadger
Quoting: The_Rocket
Honestly don’t think any of these new additions outside of Tatar really move the needle. Graves is basically a bottom pairing reliable two way D, terry could become a really good 3C but yet to be determined. Besides, I doubt he’s for sale. I don’t think Grandlund is better than Hoglander, and I think Podkolzin will be good enough to handle 3rd line minutes.

Imo, don’t sign grandlund, replace him with MacEwan or Lind or who ever, move up hoglander and Podkolzin in the lineup, and use the cap savings to pay Tatar what he is actually worth. If you can’t get terry, sign Sutter as a one year stop gap. Canucks have to years to get good, you don’t need to try and do it all in one offseason

If Benning is serious about being aggressive in putting together a playoff team for next year, these moves help immensely. What you are doing in having a Tatar - Horvat - Granlund line is having a shutdown line that should provide strong defensive and underlying numbers. What is also does is allow for players like Podkolzin to dip their feet slower into the NHL and build his way up. Pod is an elite two-way player and should be developed the same way Bo was in his first year.

Adding those two second line players also allows for the team to have strong depth and achieve those "three scoring lines" that Benning was preaching at this presser. Having a third line of Pearson - Terry - Hoglander would be HUGE. This also takes some of the defensive responsibility off of Hoglander and he can focus on what makes his great.

As for Graves, he is much more than a bottom-pairing defenseman as you are stating. He's the exact type of player the Canucks should be looking for to stabilize the defense. He's a big puck moving defenseman who can skate. He'd fit perfectly beside Schmidt, Myers, Hughes, or Rathbone. He also has two years left at that great price.
May 26, 2021 at 2:09 p.m.
hockeybadger

I did mention that Holtby would be a great buyout candidate if he isn't selected or sent to Seattle somehow. Just believe that there's gonna be someone else other than them that will also be bought out (especially if they are looking to add more youth in the bottom-six).
May 26, 2021 at 2:19 p.m.
I did mention that Holtby would be a great buyout candidate if he isn't selected or sent to Seattle somehow. Just believe that there's gonna be someone else other than them that will also be bought out (especially if they are looking to add more youth in the bottom-six).

Canucks have two players only worth buying out . The rest don't make any sense to have another year added on to save two or three hundred thousand dollars. Even buying out Feland is an option but you get his full salary by LTIR
May 26, 2021 at 2:32 p.m.
hockeybadger
Canucks have two players only worth buying out . The rest don't make any sense to have another year added on to save two or three hundred thousand dollars. Even buying out Feland is an option but you get his full salary by LTIR

I get that, I'd send him down. But I think management will buy out a veteran forward.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll