Forums/Armchair-GM

Hyman becomes the most beloved player in Toronto

Created by: RowdyRoddy96
Team: 2021-22 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 19, 2021
Published: Jun. 19, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Somehow this team goes full big boy trousers when Hyman takes a Labanc type pay cut for a year. Analytics darling Jake Mccabe gets signed at a much lower cap than Rielly and is around the same age? Rielly and Mikhayev get traded for Draft Picks and Bertuzzi who can bring in some grit and a tenacious attitude to this team. Brandon Saad would be the big Fish that the Leafs would sign that I'd personally love to see considering he is a playoff warrior/ Fight in corners type guy like Hyman. Foligno who I feel is cut from the same cloth as Spezza would come back at a pay cut as well because he might have faith in this team as well as Spezza? something like that carries through some people. Optimus Reim returns to Toronto because I want to see Steve Dangle happy again, please! Glendening is a 3C that id be so happy to have on this team considering he is a guy that some consider being a shamen of youth players where he can get the most potential out of rookies and young stars plus Glendening's Faceoff % is absolutely coo coo bananas. but I grasp at straws here but I'd be very happy if the team went in this direction by doubling down on Skill and Speed but they add more hungry youth presence alongside Veteran journeymen like Foligno, Bogosian, Muzzin, Saad, Glendening and Spezza. This offers extra cap space if the Leafs wanted to either sign another 3rd goalie like Rittich to come back or allows them to keep Kerfoot and allows Dermott to get claimed by Seattle? Interesting times the Leafs and their fans like myself live in? I haven't seen the Leafs at a crossroads like this since after the 1994/95 season?
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$4,000,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$1,000,000
6$5,000,000
3$3,000,000
2$1,200,000
3$1,500,000
1$2,000,000
3$2,200,000
Trades
TOR
    Expansion
    TOR
    1. Bertuzzi, Tyler [RFA Rights]
    2. 2021 4th round pick (TBL)
    3. 2022 6th round pick (DET)
    TOR
    1. 2021 6th round pick (EDM)
    Retained Salary Transactions
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TBL
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the DET
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    20$81,500,000$79,046,450$0$0$2,453,550
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 5
    Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
    $11,640,250$11,640,250
    C
    UFA - 3
    $10,903,000$10,903,000
    RW
    UFA - 4
    $4,000,000$4,000,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 2
    $11,000,000$11,000,000
    C, LW
    NMC
    UFA - 4
    $6,962,366$6,962,366
    RW
    UFA - 3
    $1,000,000$1,000,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 7
    $2,200,000$2,200,000
    C, RW, LW
    UFA - 2
    $2,000,000$2,000,000
    LW, C, RW
    UFA - 2
    $796,667$796,667
    LW, RW
    RFA - 3
    $725,000$725,000
    C
    UFA - 1
    $750,000$750,000
    C, RW
    UFA - 1
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $5,625,000$5,625,000
    LD
    NTC
    UFA - 3
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    LD/RD
    NTC
    UFA - 3
    $1,650,000$1,650,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    $3,000,000$3,000,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 4
    $2,000,000$2,000,000
    RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $894,167$894,167
    LD
    UFA - 1
    $1,200,000$1,200,000
    RD
    UFA - 3
    $1,500,000$1,500,000
    G
    UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Jun. 19, 2021 at 11:00 p.m.
    Quoting: Letter_Kenny
    Yzerman started with Hedman and Stamkos when he went to Tampa. He doesn't have that luxury in Detroit. He's still cleaning up Holland's mess. He's been here 2 years. What do you expect? A Cup contender already? He'll build through the draft like he did in Tampa. This takes time.

Why even bother arguing if he can't why one year of a 2nd pair defenseman is not worth Bertuzzi and 2 drat picks. It's pointless you aren't going to change his mind. Why have no other Leafs fans commented?
    Jun. 19, 2021 at 11:03 p.m.
    Leafs Bring Me Pain
    Yzerman started with Hedman and Stamkos when he went to Tampa. He doesn't have that luxury in Detroit. He's still cleaning up Holland's mess. He's been here 2 years. What do you expect? A Cup contender already? He'll build through the draft like he did in Tampa. This takes time.

Well he did have Larkin, Mantha, Bertuzzi to begin with so that's already a good start no? It's not that the players were bad on this team and Yzerman went hard in FA while in Tampa Bay so yeah I kinda expected a Wizard like Yzerman to have the Wings in Wildcard contention by 2021/2022 season or 2022/2023 season yeah?
    Jun. 19, 2021 at 11:06 p.m.
    Leafs Bring Me Pain
    Quoting: aedoran
    Why even bother arguing if he can't why one year of a 2nd pair defenseman is not worth Bertuzzi and 2 drat picks. It's pointless you aren't going to change his mind. Why have no other Leafs fans commented?

and yet all the Red Wings fans have? Leaf fans are having fun with this like I am and If Kapanen was worth a first then yeah maybe Rielly is worth more given the position he plays especially to a team who lacks defensive depth and have a expendable cap hit that they can use to make that "rental" into a permanent team player
    Jun. 19, 2021 at 11:12 p.m.
    arky
    Quoting: RowdyRoddy96
    2019 he was in trade rumours with the Edmonton Oilers
    2020 he was in trade rumours with about half the league due to his looming contract situation
    2021 he was injured if he wasn't he would have been dealt

First Leblanc took that deal with a hand shake that the following year he would be taken care of, Toronto does not have the cap space to make this kind of deal and handshake deal.

Next, rumors are just that rumors. Like the rumors that Stamkos was going to sign in Toronto when his contract was up several years ago. Friedman stated that anyone on the team was available, minus Larkin and Sieder. Does not mean anyone was going to be dealt but Yzerman would listen, not actively search for a deal.

Based on Yzetman's tra k record if Bertuzzi were to be dealt it would not be for a player who is on the verge of free agency. He is very shrewd GM and would wait until he gets a deal he likes and this is not the deal I beleive he would like. Reilly is a very good player, no doubt, but signing Bertuzzi would and will be easier to sign than a pending player who could walk and leave Yzerman with nothing.

By the way, this rumors that you speak of, could you please produce them or show where I can find them, because I have never heard of this Oulers trade. Just asking.
    RedWing9119 and Billy12Bob liked this.
    Jun. 19, 2021 at 11:15 p.m.
    Don't think it makes sense for red wings as well, might be able to get a better return more suited to the teams needs elsewhere. Only way Reilly makes sense is if there is a trade lined up elsewhere for him for more of what Detroit needs. The wings needs a good LHD and Reilly is a stud, but even if he signs an extension he will be 30+ when the wings are expected to compete and probably cost more than his worth to keep him from testing the market.
    Jun. 19, 2021 at 11:19 p.m.
    Banned
    Well he did have Larkin, Mantha, Bertuzzi to begin with so that's already a good start no? It's not that the players were bad on this team and Yzerman went hard in FA while in Tampa Bay so yeah I kinda expected a Wizard like Yzerman to have the Wings in Wildcard contention by 2021/2022 season or 2022/2023 season yeah?

You're comparing Larkin, Mantha and Bertuzzi to 2 stud franchise players in Stamkos and Hedman? Wow. Yeah it's so easy tearing down a franchise and building it back up. 2 years tops. If Stevie can't win the Cup next year then it's time to fire him. Great logic.
    RedWing9119 and mikearky liked this.
    Jun. 19, 2021 at 11:20 p.m.
    Banned
    Quoting: aedoran

There's a shortage of common sense with this one. Or he's trolling.
    RedWing9119 and aedoran liked this.
    Jun. 19, 2021 at 11:29 p.m.
    Banned
    So it's I with the Inferiority complex by suggesting a trade based on information that is present and at everyone's disposal all the while suggesting a trade that could be beneficial to both squads? No an Inferiority complex is me thinking that the Leafs are inadequate so they MUST make these trades to be better but they don't have to because they are a good team but trades like this could make them a GREAT team that's the whole point of speculation and Mock trades?

I already explained to you why this trade isn't beneficial to Detroit. It's a great rip off trade for Toronto. Problem is that Yzerman doesn't get ripped off.
    Jun. 19, 2021 at 11:32 p.m.
    and yet all the Red Wings fans have? Leaf fans are having fun with this like I am and If Kapanen was worth a first then yeah maybe Rielly is worth more given the position he plays especially to a team who lacks defensive depth and have a expendable cap hit that they can use to make that "rental" into a permanent team player

Ok now compare Kapanen's stats to Bertuzzi's stats. Bertuzzi has 6 more points than Kapanen but Bertuzzi has played 40 less games. So according to your logic Detroit should get more than a 1st and a couple prospects for Bertuzzi.

Now yes Rielly has is valuable player but with 1yr left on his contract Toronto won't get full value for him unless it a sign and trade.
    Billy12Bob liked this.
    Jun. 19, 2021 at 11:35 p.m.

Using what...magic? Reilly would walk leaving us with nothing. Also, either provide a specific quote where someone actually claimed Bertuzzi was being shopped or shut up about it. Oh and Bertuzzi is a 1st line winger not a "middle six winger". The last two seasons he played he was 21st and 25th in scoring for left wingers. Last time I checked there are 31 "1st line left wingers".
    Billy12Bob liked this.
    Jun. 20, 2021 at 12:08 a.m.
    There's a shortage of common sense with this one. Or he's trolling.

But he isn't really acting like a troll. A lot of hockey fans just aren't exposed to the hockey operations side of things. I joined in Dec 2017 and I had no idea about a lot of the stuff we now discuss on a daily basis and i'm still learning.

With Bertuzzi a lot of people outside of Detroit don't know that he has been around the Wings since his Uncle Todd was a Red Wing. I know Todd and Tylers dad are still in the area and coach in the Oakland Grizzlies youth hockey association. I really doubt Bertuzzi goes anywhere anytime soon.
    RedWing9119 and mikearky liked this.
    Jun. 20, 2021 at 12:15 a.m.
    PlusMinus is stupid
    But I'm more surprised that Yzerman isn't thinking ahead at this point when did he fully rebuild Tampa Bay and how long did it take? 2011 to 2013 they spent in Rebuild then made the playoffs in 2014, the Finals in 2015 and have been consistently in playoff contention ever since. This is Detroit's 3rd year away from playoff contention I'm not saying they have to be at Tampa level but they definatly need to start the path now according to the timelines and a Top 4 d man can give them that push

I'm really not trying to be rude, but Reiley and Hedman aren't even in the same paragraph, let alone breath.

In 2013, the year before they made the playoffs, they had a prime aged Steven Stamkos and Victor Hedman, not to mention a very productive Martin St. Louis, breakout Nikita Kucherov, prime Ben Bishop, prime Ryan Callahan, etc, etc, etc.... If you can't admit that Detroit is significantly behind that talent pool due to the mess Holland made, then you're just being stubborn and refusing to admit it's apples to oranges. We have some very exciting young pieces, but we're realistically 2-3, years from a legit playoff team and probably still 4 or more away from being a legit chip contender and trying to rush it would be a fools game.
    RedWing9119 liked this.
    Jun. 20, 2021 at 12:16 a.m.
    PlusMinus is stupid

Come on man... I just made a reply that actually covers this exactly, before I read this reply...
    Jun. 20, 2021 at 4:34 a.m.
    StevieY19!!
    Sorry, if Bert does get traded away we would be looking at players like Liljegren, Sandin, other prospects or picks not a high trade value rental. It just doesn't make sense for a rebuilding team. Also, this is Yzerman we are talking about so if he were to trade with you he'd probably fleece Dubas so I'd stay far away.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll