Forums/Armchair-GM

Rumors

Created by: alekaka
Team: 2021-22 New Jersey Devils
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 22, 2021
Published: Jun. 22, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Not sure what the value is but this seems fair. Let me know if you would change anything.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$3,000,000
2$2,500,000
3$2,500,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
4$4,000,000
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Hughes, Luke
3$925,000
Trades
NJD
  1. Gaudreau, Johnny
  2. Tkachuk, Matthew
Additional Details:
Graudreau 7x 6.5
Tkachuk 7 x 7.5
CGY
  1. Bahl, Kevin
  2. Mercer, Dawson
  3. Wood, Miles
  4. 2021 1st round pick (NYI)
  5. 2022 1st round pick (NJD)
Additional Details:
Top 5 protected for 2022 or 2023 unprotected 1st
NJD
    Expansion
    BUF
    1. 2021 5th round pick (BUF)
    2. 2022 5th round pick (CBJ)
    Buyouts
    Recapture Fees
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the NYI
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the ARI
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the NYI
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the NJD
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    20$81,500,000$70,343,332$0$3,250,000$11,156,668
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Calgary Flames
    $6,750,000$6,750,000
    LW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    Logo of the New Jersey Devils
    $7,250,000$7,250,000
    C
    UFA - 6
    $2,750,000$2,750,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    $3,000,000$3,000,000
    C, LW, RW
    UFA - 2
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
    C
    UFA - 1
    Logo of the Calgary Flames
    $7,000,000$7,000,000
    RW
    UFA - 1
    $3,400,000$3,400,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 2
    $2,250,000$2,250,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 1
    $925,000$925,000
    C, LW
    RFA - 1
    $863,333$863,333
    LW
    RFA - 3
    $825,000$825,000
    RW
    UFA - 2
    $2,500,000$2,500,000
    C
    RFA - 2
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
    LD/RD
    RFA - 2
    $9,000,000$9,000,000
    RD
    UFA - 1
    $2,800,000$2,800,000
    G
    UFA - 2
    $2,500,000$2,500,000
    LD
    UFA - 2
    $4,166,666$4,166,666
    RD
    UFA - 2
    $4,000,000$4,000,000
    RD
    UFA - 4
    $925,000$925,000
    RD
    UFA - 2
    Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
    $5,400,000$5,400,000
    RD
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Jun. 22, 2021 at 9:37 a.m.
    KFTW
    Not enough
    Jun. 22, 2021 at 9:38 a.m.
    GO FLAMES GO
    No thanks
    Jun. 22, 2021 at 9:39 a.m.
    TOR V5 GM
    Quoting: Gmonwy
    No thanks

Agree, i think it would take more for both
    Jun. 22, 2021 at 9:40 a.m.
    Go Jets Go
    A lot more needs to be going to CGY if you're getting Tkachuk AND Gaudreau...not to mention signed to an extension as well. BUF would also get more for Risto, my prediction is a 2nd round pick or honestly a player like Butcher who also needs a change of scenery.
    Jun. 22, 2021 at 9:46 a.m.
    Not sure I would do that for just Tkachuk

Those extensions are also laughable
    Jun. 22, 2021 at 9:55 a.m.
    BUF says no
    Jun. 22, 2021 at 9:57 a.m.
    Quoting: Ledge_And_Dairy
    Not sure I would do that for just Tkachuk

Those extensions are also laughable

Eh, the extensions aren't that far off, especially for Tkachuk. Kyle Connor was 7x7 so 7x7.5 seems in line
    Jun. 22, 2021 at 9:58 a.m.
    Quoting: Chopper02
    Eh, the extensions aren't that far off, especially for Tkachuk. Kyle Connor was 7x7 so 7x7.5 seems in line

Tkachuk's qualifying offer is 9M he literally cant be payed 7.5.

Gaudreau will get at least 8
    alekaka liked this.
    Jun. 22, 2021 at 9:59 a.m.
    Since no one likes these deals, what do you think it would take?
    Jun. 22, 2021 at 10:05 a.m.
    Tkachuk's qualifying offer is 9M he literally cant be payed 7.5.

Gaudreau will get at least 8

You're talking about a qualifying offer, not an extension. Two different things there. A QO is a one year agreement offer if a different deal can't be reached. You're not guaranteed that price in contract negotiations. So yes, he can sign a 7 X 7.5 extension.
    Jun. 22, 2021 at 10:07 a.m.
    You're talking about a qualifying offer, not an extension. Two different things there. A QO is a one year agreement offer if a different deal can't be reached. You're not guaranteed that price in contract negotiations. So yes, he can sign a 7 X 7.5 extension.

No a QO is the minimum a player can be paid coming off a contract while still an RFA. He cannot sign for less.
    Jun. 22, 2021 at 10:12 a.m.
    I think NJD are getting the better side of deal overall.

I would split up the deals - ABC for Gaudreau, XYZ for Tkachuk
    I don't think NJD should be paying for any rental - would rather wait a year on Gaudreau.

Previously someone had said Mercer + Zacha + 1st for Tkachuk...which sounds a little expensive for me
    Jun. 22, 2021 at 10:13 a.m.
    No a QO is the minimum a player can be paid coming off a contract while still an RFA. He cannot sign for less.

No, a QO is offered if no contract agreement has been made prior to his current contract running out.. In order for Calgary to keep him and not send him to UFA, they have to offer a QO of 1 year,120% of the salary prior to the FA deadline. Which Tkachuk can refuse in which case he remains an RFA, but not under contract. Since he has 1 year left on his contract, he can make an extension of 7.5..
    Jun. 22, 2021 at 10:16 a.m.
    Quoting: Rooney
    BUF would also get more for Risto, my prediction is a 2nd round pick or honestly a player like Butcher who also needs a change of scenery.

It was one guy, a Sabres beat reporter, that started the Risto-to-NJD thing.
    Was followed up by Elliotte Friedman, who mentioned Risto along with Gostisbehere as d-men that the Devils would take "with sweetener"

So, the only Risto-to-NJD deal that makes sense is one where Buffalo pays NJD to take him.
    Rooney liked this.
    Jun. 22, 2021 at 10:34 a.m.
    No, a QO is offered if no contract agreement has been made prior to his current contract running out.. In order for Calgary to keep him and not send him to UFA, they have to offer a QO of 1 year,120% of the salary prior to the FA deadline. Which Tkachuk can refuse in which case he remains an RFA, but not under contract. Since he has 1 year left on his contract, he can make an extension of 7.5..

Please provide an example of a player coming off a bridge deal that signed for less than theor qualifying offer. I cant think of a single time
    Jun. 22, 2021 at 10:39 a.m.
    Please provide an example of a player coming off a bridge deal that signed for less than theor qualifying offer. I cant think of a single time

Not saying he will sign for less, but you're saying he "cant" when the reality is that the QO is only for the team to retain his rights. It would also depend on where he goes I'm assuming. So in NJ, he probably wouldn't. In STL? My guess is he would. Keep in mind though, the QO is for 1 year only. If that one year goes sour, he'll be forces to take less anyway.
    Jun. 22, 2021 at 10:48 a.m.
    Go Jets Go
    Quoting: NHLfan10506
    It was one guy, a Sabres beat reporter, that started the Risto-to-NJD thing.
    Was followed up by Elliotte Friedman, who mentioned Risto along with Gostisbehere as d-men that the Devils would take "with sweetener"

So, the only Risto-to-NJD deal that makes sense is one where Buffalo pays NJD to take him.

I still think Risto has more value than Butcher but I won't pretend that I follow either team super closely. Maybe my evaluation is wrong. I feel like a 1 for 1 would make sense for both teams though.
    Jun. 22, 2021 at 10:59 a.m.
    Not saying he will sign for less, but you're saying he "cant" when the reality is that the QO is only for the team to retain his rights. It would also depend on where he goes I'm assuming. So in NJ, he probably wouldn't. In STL? My guess is he would. Keep in mind though, the QO is for 1 year only. If that one year goes sour, he'll be forces to take less anyway.

When a player becomes a RFA the team must qualify them or them become an UFA. Being qualified does not mean you have signed a contract yet, it means the team has chosen to retain that players rights.

I understand that you are saying to sign an extension prior to becoming a RFA but I have looked many times for an example of a player who not only extends early but also signs for less than their QO amd am yet to find a single one. If you know of any I wpuld be more tuan happy to agree with you

My understanding is that when a team qualfies a player they are saying "hey we intend to keep your rights but also must pay you at least 'this much' per year." Maybe we will see this year as I dont think DeBrusk for example is worth his 4.85M QO
    Jun. 22, 2021 at 11:05 a.m.
    Quoting: Rooney
    I still think Risto has more value than Butcher but I won't pretend that I follow either team super closely. Maybe my evaluation is wrong. I feel like a 1 for 1 would make sense for both teams though.

Honestly, I think the whole Risto-to-NJD story is this:
    Sabres brass wanted to create a market for Ristolainen, sold story to Sabres beat reporter.
    Was believable since Devils made an offer for him once before (during Shero era, before they acquired PK Subban).
    And now, Devils are just a convenient prop.

Reality is, a Risto-to-NJD trade goes against everything Fitzgerald has done and said since he arrived.
    1. He build out analytics team and are now one of most analytics-driven teams in NHL. Advanced stats make Risto look worse.
    2. He has been building a team around puck possession and share of scoring opportunities. Risto's biggest weakness is possession.
    3. He said that he isn't making any big splash trades or adding any rentals (only additions would be to help core develop). Risto has 1-year remaining.
    4. He has said he will don't deal from pipeline or decrease total number of picks.
    5. He has also said he saved his last salary retention spot for a pre-expansion trade (that is why NJD didn't trade Murray at deadline). My guess is that he has some deal in his pocket with Tampa Bay, NY islanders, Pittsburgh...one of the cap-strapped teams, for a d-man.
    Rooney liked this.
    Jun. 22, 2021 at 11:09 a.m.
    Go Jets Go
    Sabres brass wanted to create a market for Ristolainen, sold story to Sabres beat reporter.
    Was believable since Devils made an offer for him once before (during Shero era, before they acquired PK Subban).

Reality is, a Risto-to-NJD trade goes against everything Fitzgerald has done and said since he arrived.
    1. He build out analytics team and are now one of most analytics-driven teams in NHL. Advanced stats make Risto look worse.
    2. He has been building a team around puck possession and share of scoring opportunities. Risto's biggest weakness is possession.
    3. He said that he isn't making any big splash trades or adding any rentals (only additions would be to help core develop). Risto has 1-year remaining.
    4. He has said he will don't deal from pipeline or decrease total number of picks.
    5. He has also said he saved his last salary retention spot for a pre-expansion trade (that is why NJD didn't trade Murray at deadline). My guess is that he has some deal in his pocket with Tampa Bay, NY islanders, Pittsburgh...one of the cap-strapped teams, for a d-man.

I appreciate your thought out response man! You definitely know a lot more about the Devils than me so I'll take your word on this one!
    Jun. 22, 2021 at 11:41 a.m.
    When a player becomes a RFA the team must qualify them or them become an UFA. Being qualified does not mean you have signed a contract yet, it means the team has chosen to retain that players rights.

I understand that you are saying to sign an extension prior to becoming a RFA but I have looked many times for an example of a player who not only extends early but also signs for less than their QO amd am yet to find a single one. If you know of any I wpuld be more tuan happy to agree with you

My understanding is that when a team qualfies a player they are saying "hey we intend to keep your rights but also must pay you at least 'this much' per year." Maybe we will see this year as I dont think DeBrusk for example is worth his 4.85M QO

If the team and the player make it to the QO and the player accepts the QO, then yes they have to pay that player that much for 1 year if accepted. If not accepted, then the team still retains the rights but they can choose less over the course of more time. As you said, this is rare if it happens at all. Probably not recently as there is a different mentality in the league. But a player doesn't have to accept it either.
    But I do agree, the DeBrusk situation will be interesting. Same as Laine.
    Ledge_And_Dairy liked this.
    Jun. 22, 2021 at 11:50 a.m.
    If the team and the player make it to the QO and the player accepts the QO, then yes they have to pay that player that much for 1 year if accepted. If not accepted, then the team still retains the rights but they can choose less over the course of more time. As you said, this is rare if it happens at all. Probably not recently as there is a different mentality in the league. But a player doesn't have to accept it either.
    But I do agree, the DeBrusk situation will be interesting. Same as Laine.

Until I actually see it happen i will continue to assume what I stated above is correct. Again ever RFA gets qualified though, eligible players can then choose to file for arbitration or sign an offer sheet. Then between the Arb file and actual meeting teams can come to a cobtract agreement. But I have never found an example of someone who signed for less than their QO so i do believe that is by rule the minimum a team can offer (until proven otherwise)
    Jun. 22, 2021 at 12:35 p.m.
    Until I actually see it happen i will continue to assume what I stated above is correct. Again ever RFA gets qualified though, eligible players can then choose to file for arbitration or sign an offer sheet. Then between the Arb file and actual meeting teams can come to a cobtract agreement. But I have never found an example of someone who signed for less than their QO so i do believe that is by rule the minimum a team can offer (until proven otherwise)

It's not in the rules for QO that it has to be more, BUT it is the norm for a player to sign for the QO if the amount offered is less. And honestly, why wouldn't a player take more than they're actually worth? It would be stupid to sign for less unless they're hell bent on winning over the payday.
    Jun. 22, 2021 at 2:53 p.m.

I'm not saying the fabricated piece is not true, but
    Risto is a righty, we have Sevs and PK that's it. Walsh is not ready. Smitty likes the right side so that could happen. I think for a Murray type return Risto is fine. At #2/3 rhd he is no worse than anything we have/had last year. It's one year, big body can protect our G and younger guys. Move him at the deadline and he was merely a rental for cash alone.
    Jun. 22, 2021 at 3:53 p.m.
    Quoting: Smitty426
    I'm not saying the fabricated piece is not true, but
    Risto is a righty, we have Sevs and PK that's it. Walsh is not ready. Smitty likes the right side so that could happen. I think for a Murray type return Risto is fine. At #2/3 rhd he is no worse than anything we have/had last year. It's one year, big body can protect our G and younger guys. Move him at the deadline and he was merely a rental for cash alone.

I think he actually slows our kids development. Risto is a possession killer.
    Unless you want more shots on Blackwood, its best to find defensive options.

People look at 6'4" and the point totals (which mostly come from power play) and think he is worthwhile.
    He is 100% not worth it.
    Colin Miller would be better.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll