Forums/Armchair-GM

It occurred to me

Created by: RowdyRoddy96
Team: 2021-22 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 28, 2021
Published: Jun. 28, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Maybe I'm reading too into this but Carolina resigns Hamilton, we extend Rielly below market value ( He said he'd do this ) then trade Rielly and High picks for Hamilton.
Bring Aboard
- Miller in another trade with Kerfoot, prospects and Picks something Vancouver would like.
Holl is lost to expansion
Reimer is back in Toronto
Bogo, Simmonds and Foligno returns.
Oleksiak joins his friend Hamilton on their hometown team.
Robertson and Brooks are given FT spots in the Lineup.
The return of Bozak as well to the T.O.
Del Zotto comes aboard being pals with JT
Joey Andersen becomes this year's Adam Brooks
Vehvilainen is given the third goalie spot I believe he can be something good.
Leafs gain a plethora of Picks to restock their prospect pool.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$950,000
3$950,000
3$1,100,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
6$7,000,000
3$850,000
4$1,800,000
2$1,200,000
2$2,000,000
3$1,500,000
4$1,500,000
1$850,000
3$850,000
Trades
TOR
    Expansion Draft
    TOR
    1. Miller, J.T.
    2. 2021 3rd round pick (VAN)
    3. 2021 7th round pick (VAN)
    TOR
    1. 2021 6th round pick (EDM)
    TOR
    1. 2021 7th round pick (TBL)
    TOR
      Dougie Hamilton 6 Year and $7 Million dollar Contract
      CAR
      1. Rielly, Morgan
      2. 2022 2nd round pick (TOR)
      3. 2023 1st round pick (TOR)
      Additional Details:
      Rielly gets an Extension of 5 Years/ $6 Million from Toronto. Leafs eat the Million dollar cap in return
      TOR
      1. 2021 4th round pick (FLA)
      FLA
      1. Dermott, Travis [RFA Rights]
      Retained Salary Transactions
      DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
      Logo of the VAN
      Logo of the FLA
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the EDM
      Logo of the VAN
      Logo of the TBL
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
      22$81,500,000$81,491,450$0$0$8,550
      Left WingCentreRight Wing
      Logo of the Vancouver Canucks
      $5,250,000$5,250,000
      C, LW, RW
      UFA - 2
      Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
      $11,640,250$11,640,250
      C
      UFA - 3
      $10,903,000$10,903,000
      RW
      UFA - 4
      $2,000,000$2,000,000
      LW, C, RW
      UFA - 2
      $11,000,000$11,000,000
      C, LW
      NMC
      UFA - 4
      $6,962,366$6,962,366
      RW
      UFA - 3
      $1,500,000$1,500,000
      C, RW
      UFA - 1
      $1,645,000$1,645,000
      LW, RW
      UFA - 1
      $796,667$796,667
      LW, RW
      RFA - 3
      $725,000$725,000
      C
      UFA - 1
      $750,000$750,000
      C, RW
      UFA - 1
      $850,000$850,000
      RW, LW
      UFA - 2
      Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
      $5,625,000$5,625,000
      LD
      NTC
      UFA - 3
      $7,000,000$7,000,000
      RD
      UFA - 7
      $1,650,000$1,650,000
      G
      UFA - 1
      $1,800,000$1,800,000
      LD/RD
      UFA - 5
      $5,000,000$5,000,000
      LD/RD
      NTC
      UFA - 3
      $1,500,000$1,500,000
      G
      UFA - 2
      $894,167$894,167
      LD
      UFA - 1
      $1,200,000$1,200,000
      RD
      UFA - 3
      ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
      $750,000$750,000
      RW
      RFA - 2
      $850,000$850,000
      LD
      UFA - 2
      Taxi Squad
      $950,000$950,000 ($0$0$0$0)
      G
      UFA

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
      • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
      Jun. 28, 2021 at 11:59 a.m.
      Formerly Jamiepo
      Good luck signing UFA’s after you pull that on Rielly. Why not trade Rielly for a first and a prospect and just sign hamilton?
      Quillanrocks liked this.
      Jun. 28, 2021 at 12:01 p.m.
      Your deal is bad
      If Dougie only wanted 7x6 Carolina would keep him

Why trade assets for Dougie to this degree when you can just sign him to 6 years in UFA?

I'm not even a Rielly fan, but this would be a steal that would be dumb to turn down
      Jun. 28, 2021 at 12:04 p.m.
      It occured to me Vancouver could do better than this offer
      Jun. 28, 2021 at 12:04 p.m.
      Canucks decline if you want Miller it's gonna cost Amirov and your 2022 1st at least
      Boldirev liked this.
      Jun. 28, 2021 at 12:07 p.m.
      Vancouver would want your 2022 1st to start and Sandin or Rodion Amirov/plus to finish. No picks going with Miller either. The three you are offering don't offer the kind of value required for a player like Miller.
      Jun. 28, 2021 at 12:09 p.m.
      Horrible deal for Vancouver, they aren't dumping a top line forward for depth players and a 2nd. That conversation starts with a 1st or a top end prospect. But Vancouver wants to compete not rebuild so wouldn't be looking to dump Miller, you'd have to overpay to get him out.

Oleksiak getting over $2mil. Foligno's production hasn't been great but I would think someone offers him $3mil for his "intangibles".

For the 8 millionth time, the Oilers aren't trading for Engvall.
      Jun. 28, 2021 at 12:12 p.m.
      Leafs Bring Me Pain
      Quoting: rpain
      Horrible deal for Vancouver, they aren't dumping a top line forward for depth players and a 2nd. That conversation starts with a 1st or a top end prospect. But Vancouver wants to compete not rebuild so wouldn't be looking to dump Miller, you'd have to overpay to get him out.

Oleksiak getting over $2mil. Foligno's production hasn't been great but I would think someone offers him $3mil for his "intangibles".

For the 8 millionth time, the Oilers aren't trading for Engvall.

Can't be too picky with your winger depth mate?
      Jun. 28, 2021 at 12:15 p.m.
      Leafs Bring Me Pain
      Quoting: OnlyBadDeals
      If Dougie only wanted 7x6 Carolina would keep him

Why trade assets for Dougie to this degree when you can just sign him to 6 years in UFA?

I'm not even a Rielly fan, but this would be a steal that would be dumb to turn down

Intangibles suspect me to believe that Dougie will get signed to a cheaper deal in Carolina but will be flipped right afterwards? It's a suspicion or Hockey Hunch and yeah the Rielly deal is bad but unless if they agreed upon a trade or Hamilton goes to Toronto on the cheap ( Also not likely ) Hamilton will get 8 somewhere but Carolina will likely give him an 8×7.
      Jun. 28, 2021 at 12:17 p.m.
      Leafs Bring Me Pain
      Quoting: rpain

For the 8 millionth time, the Oilers aren't trading

Miller was going to be played as a 3C next year in Vancouver which is a waste of his talent might as well get an Actual 3C for the team that's cheaper with added prospects. If the Canucks are serious about going ham in FA they need to clear Cap? A deal like this would clear at least 2 Mil from their already tight cap space?
      Jun. 28, 2021 at 12:19 p.m.
      Leafs Bring Me Pain
      Quoting: GenXHockey
      Good luck signing UFA’s after you pull that on Rielly. Why not trade Rielly for a first and a prospect and just sign hamilton?

Because Rielly already stated he would resign for Toronto at below market value so instead of 8Mil he'd receive 6 or 7 same as Hamilton. Both Hamilton and Rielly could get 8 Million from a different team but are willing to take a paycut with the previous team they played for? So a Sign and Trade for the two defenceman make sense from a Cap Standpoint
      Jun. 28, 2021 at 12:24 p.m.
      Quoting: RowdyRoddy96
      Can't be too picky with your winger depth mate?

Oiler issue is depth of quality not quantity. Ennis gives you similar production rates and he'd probably re-sign for $1mil (as he did last year) instead of the $1.25 Engvall costs and wouldn't cost anything to get. Shore just re-signed for $850k. Those type of contracts if they get beat out by guys like McLeod/Benson/Holloway for a roster spot don't have a cap hit to bury. Engvall isn't a terrible player but he's over the threshold to bury and in a flat cap world guys making $1mil that play depth roles are a dime a dozen.
      Jun. 28, 2021 at 12:25 p.m.
      Because Rielly already stated he would resign for Toronto at below market value so instead of 8Mil he'd receive 6 or 7 same as Hamilton. Both Hamilton and Rielly could get 8 Million from a different team but are willing to take a paycut with the previous team they played for? So a Sign and Trade for the two defenceman make sense from a Cap Standpoint

I’m struggling to understand the logic. Rielly has stated (reports) that he is willing to resign with TO for below market value. I will assume this to be a fact. In this case, he is agreeing to remain with the Leafs and get paid less than he’s worth on the open market. In these cases, 90+% of the time, a player will sign a No Movement Clause to ensure that they are going to be playing for the team they signed with, and if they do get traded, they can have 100% control over the destination.

If Rielly wants to play in Carolina, why would he sign with the Leafs for less than market?

Am I missing something in this logic?
      Jun. 28, 2021 at 12:28 p.m.
      Leon and Jesse
      Oilers Deciline.
      Jun. 28, 2021 at 12:31 p.m.
      Leafs Bring Me Pain
      Quoting: Azura0055
      I’m struggling to understand the logic. Rielly has stated (reports) that he is willing to resign with TO for below market value. I will assume this to be a fact. In this case, he is agreeing to remain with the Leafs and get paid less than he’s worth on the open market. In these cases, 90+% of the time, a player will sign a No Movement Clause to ensure that they are going to be playing for the team they signed with, and if they do get traded, they can have 100% control over the destination.

If Rielly wants to play in Carolina, why would he sign with the Leafs for less than market?

The Spending Habits of the Carolina GM and Owner they don't like to overspend on Players so if Rielly would come in at 1 or 2 million less per year then what he is getting payed he would be open to that type of player with that type of Contract. I'm sure the only reason why Carolina is allowing Dougie to talk with other teams is to gauge what his exact value is on the open market. Rielly doesn't have that luxury because he is still signed but if an extension can be done with Rielly then he agrees to be traded to Carolina for Dougie Hamilton then it's sort of a win win as in Leafs get their star RHD and Shot. Carolina gets a great LHD on a better deal and save on Cap
      Jun. 28, 2021 at 12:32 p.m.
      Leafs Bring Me Pain
      Quoting: ApparentlyOilFan
      Oilers Deciline.

Can't be picky
      Jun. 28, 2021 at 12:34 p.m.
      Leon and Jesse
      Can't be picky

I find it a big shock that every leaf ACGM that has a Edmonton-Toronto trade in it trades either Mikheyev or Engvall. We don't really need them now, as a lot of our prospects are coming up.
      Jun. 28, 2021 at 12:38 p.m.
      Leafs Bring Me Pain
      Quoting: ApparentlyOilFan
      I find it a big shock that every leaf ACGM that has a Edmonton-Toronto trade in it trades either Mikheyev or Engvall. We don't really need them now, as a lot of our prospects are coming up.

And what if the prospects don't pan out? Holland then looks like a **** by not at least trying to enhance their depth instead they sit on their hands. It's not like Mikhayev or Engvall are bad players? They are very useful in their own way?
      Jun. 28, 2021 at 12:43 p.m.
      The Spending Habits of the Carolina GM and Owner they don't like to overspend on Players so if Rielly would come in at 1 or 2 million less per year then what he is getting payed he would be open to that type of player with that type of Contract. I'm sure the only reason why Carolina is allowing Dougie to talk with other teams is to gauge what his exact value is on the open market. Rielly doesn't have that luxury because he is still signed but if an extension can be done with Rielly then he agrees to be traded to Carolina for Dougie Hamilton then it's sort of a win win as in Leafs get their star RHD and Shot. Carolina gets a great LHD on a better deal and save on Cap

Your logic on why Carolina management would make this deal and how this deal would help the Leafs isn’t what I’m struggling with. I having trouble getting my head wrapped around why Reilly would agree to this deal.

No worries, I’ll move on, I just figured I was missing something.
      Jun. 28, 2021 at 12:47 p.m.
      Quoting: GenXHockey

Quoting: Azura0055

You're missing GenX's point from initial post. What you're suggesting is that Toronto essentially screw over a player who may be willing to sign at a discount to STAY in Toronto and help them build a winner. 'Tis NOT a kosher move, and Toronto will have difficult time signing and retaining future free agents as a fallout.

And as Azura alluded to, Rielly should have no interest in signing for less if his future's not with Toronto. (maybe not even then -- why should he take a discount? No one else does, apparently)
      GenXHockey and Azura0055 liked this.
      Jun. 28, 2021 at 11:20 p.m.
      Easy no for VAN, they are not moving Miller.

To create a post please Login or Register
      Question:
      Options:
      Add Option
      Submit Poll