Forums/Armchair-GM

Change is Needed

Created by: tsyls
Team: 2021-22 Winnipeg Jets
Initial Creation Date: Nov. 24, 2021
Published: Nov. 24, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
This cannot wait any longer. Jets have only lost 4 straight, but the issues have been clear for a lot longer than the last 4 games.

The jets coaching staff, especially Maurice has made a lot of questionable decisions when it comes to personnel. The jets had lines that were building chemistry, but Maurice decided to throw the lines into a blender when scheifele and wheeler returned. Wheeler is clearly a shell of himself at this point, and it’s undeniable that he’s no longer a top 6 forward.

The jets need to make changes. The lines need to be juggled but for whatever reason Maurice is so set on wheeler playing in the top 6. If he doesn’t make the change, it’s time for management to move on from Maurice. Imo they should’ve already by now, but if this continues it’s time.

This is how I’d run the lines personally.

Also I think stastny being hurt is causing a lot more issues for the jets than expected.
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
21$81,500,000$80,088,813$145,122$850,000$1,411,187
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Winnipeg Jets
$3,640,000$3,640,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 1
$6,125,000$6,125,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 4
$7,142,857$7,142,857
LW
UFA - 5
$5,000,000$5,000,000
C
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$3,750,000$3,750,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$3,250,000$3,250,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$8,250,000$8,250,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 3
$725,000$725,000
LW
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW, RW
RFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$6,250,000$6,250,000
LD
UFA - 7
$5,950,000$5,950,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$6,166,667$6,166,667
G
UFA - 3
$5,875,000$5,875,000
RD
UFA - 4
$750,000$750,000
G
UFA - 1
$3,900,000$3,900,000
LD
UFA - 3
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$900,000$900,000
LD
RFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$750,000$750,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$5,291,667$5,291,667
C, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 3

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Nov. 24, 2021 at 9:54 p.m.
KFTW
They should trade for Fiala or Boeser in the summer and get rid of Wheeler
tsyls liked this.
Nov. 24, 2021 at 9:56 p.m.
Not a jets fan. What are your thoughts on bringing up Heinola? I thought he was easily the best d man at the world juniors last year. Better than Byram imo
Nov. 24, 2021 at 9:58 p.m.
Quoting: csick

Man I’d love both guys. Also no chance they can get rid of wheeler. With his NMC and cap hit it’ll be next to impossible. Plus management is so far up his behind that they wouldn’t move him.
csick and MisstheWhalers liked this.
Nov. 24, 2021 at 9:59 p.m.
KFTW
Quoting: tsyls
Man I’d love both guys. Also no chance they can get rid of wheeler. With his NMC and cap hit it’ll be next to impossible. Plus management is so far up his behind that they wouldn’t move him.

How would his buyout look?
Nov. 24, 2021 at 9:59 p.m.
Quoting: OL13811
Not a jets fan. What are your thoughts on bringing up Heinola? I thought he was easily the best d man at the world juniors last year. Better than Byram imo

I’d like to see Heinola, but the blue line has been good. They’re not the issue. A lot of goals are being scored against the jets on the PK. Most of their issues are system based, besides their lack of offense.
Nov. 24, 2021 at 10:01 p.m.
How would his buyout look?

If they bought him out this summer it would cost 2.5 million per year for the next 4. 1st 2 years they save nearly 5 million and last 2 have 2.5 million in dead cap space.
csick liked this.
Nov. 24, 2021 at 10:07 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
I’d like to see Heinola, but the blue line has been good. They’re not the issue. A lot of goals are being scored against the jets on the PK. Most of their issues are system based, besides their lack of offense.

I was gonna say the exact same thing, the defense (personnel that is) is the least of this teams worries.
tsyls liked this.
Nov. 24, 2021 at 10:12 p.m.
Edited Nov. 24, 2021 at 10:35 p.m.
Quoting: MisstheWhalers
I was gonna say the exact same thing, the defense (personnel that is) is the least of this teams worries.

Totally agree man. It’s so frustrating to watch. It’s like they can’t let go of the idea of what wheeler was. He’s clearly lost a step, maybe even 2 steps. They need to make changes to the lineup. If Maurice won’t do it, they need to move on and find someone who will.

@MissTheWhalers apparently the advanced stats say jets aren’t playing bad. They’re having good zone time, more chances, puck control, shots and high danger chances. They’re just not scoring. Scheifele is really cold and it’s hurting the production a lot.
MisstheWhalers liked this.
Nov. 24, 2021 at 10:51 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
Totally agree man. It’s so frustrating to watch. It’s like they can’t let go of the idea of what wheeler was. He’s clearly lost a step, maybe even 2 steps. They need to make changes to the lineup. If Maurice won’t do it, they need to move on and find someone who will.

I think what often gets overlooked by Jets fans is the possibility that Chipman has a pretty big influence on the lineup, hence the Wheeler usage, that is just speculation, could be all on Maurice but there is a good chance that Chipman has more say then we know.

We'll see how long this streak lasts, they played well in the Edmonton games and I thought they were good against Vancouver but a lot of the wins earlier in the year weren't exactly stellar efforts from this group, all in all I'm not sure they're all that much better then they've been the last few years, Minnesota and Calgary are going to be tough games. They're obviously better then they've showed the last few games but I really don't think they're a powerhouse team like some think they are.

I know he takes some dumb **** penalties but the Jets sure could use a guy who plays with an edge like Domi does, a guy who brings some intensity but can also play and contribute on the scoresheet.

I've been saying it for years and I'll say it again, the Jets have one of the most unproductive bottom sixes in the league, I really think that needs to change if they're ever going to get to another level, just hope it happens before they've wasted the primes and contracts of Ehlers, Connor, Helly, PLD, etc.
tsyls liked this.
Nov. 24, 2021 at 10:57 p.m.
Wheeler is not the issue. The KFC/Dubois line has nearly identical underlying numbers with Svech and Wheeler on it. Having said that I would personally move Wheeler to Lowry's line and create more depth. It's frustrating to see him take the blame, he's one of the only ones skating hard and back checking up front besides Copp and Dubois. Connor has been lights out this year but he floated on that back check today.

Scheifele told reporters that he built a golf simulator he was so bored during covid, maybe he should start playing like the guy who was asymptomatic with covid because right now it looks like Wheeler was the one who didn't have symptoms.

I 100% agree with you on Stastny, specially the power play has been non existent since he was hurt.

The Jets underlying numbers this year are good for the first time in years. I think the team will come around but there needs to be some adjustments up front. And time to risk losing Nash on waivers and bring up Gus.
tsyls liked this.
Nov. 24, 2021 at 10:59 p.m.

Cheveldayoff literally said this summer that if Wheeler hadn't re-signed they wouldn't have tried to contend in the last few years. For better or worse Wheeler is considered the heartbeat of this team and frankly he may not be putting up points but he at least looks like he cares which I can't say is a universal thing atm
Nov. 26, 2021 at 6:57 p.m.
Once again the same issues tend to come through. The team looks lost. They had a solid 2/3 of the first period and then it just fell apart. I’m honestly lost as to what they should do at this point. Maurice 100% is on the hot seat and if it was up to me, he’d likely be gone if they lose to Calgary tomorrow.

@MissTheWhalers @toque @csick
Nov. 26, 2021 at 7:15 p.m.
Once again the same issues tend to come through. The team looks lost. They had a solid 2/3 of the first period and then it just fell apart. I’m honestly lost as to what they should do at this point. Maurice 100% is on the hot seat and if it was up to me, he’d likely be gone if they lose to Calgary tomorrow.

I highly doubt Maurice gets fired, it feels much more "True North" to wait until the offseason when there is a team option and simply not extend him. I think the only way he gets fired is if they are out of a playoff spot either at the Olympic break or the trade deadline.

Our cap situation makes change difficult, but at an absolutely bare minimum put Nash on waivers and recall Gustaffson.

Oh and play Scheifele on the 4th line lol, dude came back from asymptomatic covid and talked about playing 18 holes of golf at his home golf simulator every day. Quarantine throws people off, we saw it with PLD, but his effort tonight was pathetic. Wheeler was symptomatic and he's getting shredded.
tsyls liked this.
Nov. 26, 2021 at 7:28 p.m.
Quoting: toque
I highly doubt Maurice gets fired, it feels much more "True North" to wait until the offseason when there is a team option and simply not extend him. I think the only way he gets fired is if they are out of a playoff spot either at the Olympic break or the trade deadline.

Our cap situation makes change difficult, but at an absolutely bare minimum put Nash on waivers and recall Gustaffson.

Oh and play Scheifele on the 4th line lol, dude came back from asymptomatic covid and talked about playing 18 holes of golf at his home golf simulator every day. Quarantine throws people off, we saw it with PLD, but his effort tonight was pathetic. Wheeler was symptomatic and he's getting shredded.

Agree with a lot of what you said. It’s unlikely true north won’t make any changes mid season. But I hate having a lame duck coach or GM. Historically coaches or GMs that don’t have an extension typically perform awfully in their last year.

Gustafsson should 100% be called up, he’s playing awesome in the AHL and we could use him on the jets.

Also I agree with the scheifele comments. I found the golf simulator stuff interesting. But him being asymptomatic and still playing this bad after being out surprises me. I’m less surprised that wheeler is struggling as he’s older and being symptomatic likely took a bit of a toll on his body.

I just think there are some serious discussions to be had with jets management right now about where they see the team going this year and beyond and if Maurice is the guy to lead them ahead. If they lose 2-3 more games in their next 5 I’m going to be concerned. The central is a close division right now and the jets can’t get behind the 8 ball.
toque liked this.
Nov. 26, 2021 at 7:50 p.m.
Yes, agree it is 'gut check' time for management.
tsyls liked this.
Nov. 26, 2021 at 8:52 p.m.
MisstheWhalers

MissTheWhalers toque csick

What do you mean, cliches like: "just no puck luck right now", "the efforts there but just not getting the bounces" and "it's been a tough schedule recently" aren't comforting enough for you?!?.. 😃
tsyls liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll