Forums/Armchair-GM

Another plan for next season

Created by: Mediumyeet
Team: 2022-23 Vancouver Canucks
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 29, 2022
Published: Jan. 29, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I don't know what they do at 3C in this situation. Maybe they can find a college free agent or force someone to learn center.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$900,000
2$900,000
2$975,000
2$800,000
2$800,000
8$6,500,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$900,000
Trades
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$79,951,667$1,250,000$4,850,000$1,548,333
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the New York Rangers
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
LW, RW
RFA - 1
Logo of the Vancouver Canucks
$7,350,000$7,350,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RW
UFA - 3
Logo of the New Jersey Devils
$3,400,000$3,400,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$4,125,000$4,125,000
C
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW, LW
RFA - 2
$891,667$891,667 (Performance Bonus$300,000$300K)
LW, RW
RFA - 1
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$4,950,000$4,950,000
RW, LW
UFA - 4
Logo of the Washington Capitals
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LW
UFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
C, LW
UFA
$975,000$975,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,850,000$7,850,000
LD
UFA - 5
$850,000$850,000
RD
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
UFA - 4
$7,260,000$7,260,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 5
Logo of the New York Rangers
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
RFA - 2
$900,000$900,000
LD
UFA - 2
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$900,000$900,000
G
UFA - 2
$2,500,000$2,500,000
RD
UFA - 3

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 29, 2022 at 2:26 a.m.
Rangers want no part of your plans for next season. Pettersson 50% retained for future considerations.
Jan. 29, 2022 at 2:30 a.m.
Quoting: HOCKEYBOY448
Rangers want no part of your plans for next season. Pettersson 50% retained for future considerations.

Ya they should probably do nothing and waste a year of being a contender when their 30yr old winger is having a career year and one of the best goal scoring years of any player in the past decade.
Jan. 29, 2022 at 2:34 a.m.
Quoting: Mediumyeet
Ya they should probably do nothing and waste a year of being a contender when their 30yr old winger is having a career year and one of the best goal scoring years of any player in the past decade.

It’s not wasting a year when half the team is under 24 years old and has no experience in the playoffs. That’s the part everyone seems to forget in their delusions about this year.
Jan. 29, 2022 at 2:40 a.m.
It’s not wasting a year when half the team is under 24 years old and has no experience in the playoffs. That’s the part everyone seems to forget in their delusions about this year.

It is when their best 4 players are over 28. Even if Laf and Kakko become as good as Kreider and Panarin what are they going to do at C in the future.

I'm not saying they will be bad in the future but their best chance at a cup is over the next 3 years. They have a franchise goalie, a franchise D, and 3 studs on forward in Panarin, Kreider, Zib but they're all right around 30.

Does losing Laf and a dman that is blocked by 3 guys on D for a PPG all situation C/W at 3.75m for two years really kill your entire future?
Jan. 29, 2022 at 2:43 a.m.
It is when their best 4 players are over 28. Even if Laf and Kakko become as good as Kreider and Panarin what are they going to do at C in the future.

I'm not saying they will be bad in the future but their best chance at a cup is over the next 3 years. They have a franchise goalie, a franchise D, and 3 studs on forward in Panarin, Kreider, Zib but they're all right around 30.

Does losing Laf and a dman that is blocked by 3 guys on D for a PPG all situation C/W at 3.75m for two years really kill your entire future?

It does when we can’t afford to resign him, you traded the quality young pieces, we get nowhere close to a cup and it’s all a big waste of time and assets. Short term success is what plagued this team in the 2010’s and will be the reason why this team won’t win a cup with the same short sighted mindset. Cup winners are developed from within not rushed through ridiculous trades. So yes I think this trade would destroy the future of the team. Don’t pretend like you care when you’re only looking out for the best interests of your team here. Send Miller to Colorado or wherever else. I’d prefer to not ruin the Rangers future with a stupid trade.
Jan. 29, 2022 at 2:54 a.m.
It does when we can’t afford to resign him, you traded the quality young pieces, we get nowhere close to a cup and it’s all a big waste of time and assets. Short term success is what plagued this team in the 2010’s and will be the reason why this team won’t win a cup with the same short sighted mindset. Cup winners are developed from within not rushed through ridiculous trades. So yes I think this trade would destroy the future of the team. Don’t pretend like you care when you’re only looking out for the best interests of your team here. Send Miller to Colorado or wherever else. I’d prefer to not ruin the Rangers future with a stupid trade.

I'm actually a rangers fan along with a nucks fan. Canucks are my number one team but Rangers are a pretty close second so I do care about them. The problem with the Rangers is the age gap between their top 4 forwards and the rest of their core is too big. If they want to build from within then they should look into trading a guy like Strome to help the young guys. After Kakko, Laf, Chytil, and maybe Othman in the future they don't have any other reinforcements coming on forward. Those guys have a long ways to go to compliment pan Zib and Kreider before any of those guys decline. I think their best window is while Shesterkin is on his current deal so that is this year plus 3 more. After that he'd going to be looking at a 10+mil deal. Id rather see them go all in over the next two seasons than hope their young guys get them there in the final 2 years of Shesterkins deal.

I'd rather see them make a bold move to go for it over
Jan. 29, 2022 at 3:03 a.m.
I'm actually a rangers fan along with a nucks fan. Canucks are my number one team but Rangers are a pretty close second so I do care about them. The problem with the Rangers is the age gap between their top 4 forwards and the rest of their core is too big. If they want to build from within then they should look into trading a guy like Strome to help the young guys. After Kakko, Laf, Chytil, and maybe Othman in the future they don't have any other reinforcements coming on forward. Those guys have a long ways to go to compliment pan Zib and Kreider before any of those guys decline. I think their best window is while Shesterkin is on his current deal so that is this year plus 3 more. After that he'd going to be looking at a 10+mil deal. Id rather see them go all in over the next two seasons than hope their young guys get them there in the final 2 years of Shesterkins deal.

I'd rather see them make a bold move to go for it over

If Shesty asks for $10 mil you let him walk. You can’t pay a goalie that much money. Unless he wins the Vezina and backstops the team to a cup he isn’t worth that at all. That’s how you end up with a Lundqvist and Price situation where a goalie makes way too much money hampering the team. Only thinking about the next 2 years is ridiculously short sighted. Guess we might as well trade Jones, Miller, Robertson, Schneider, Lundkvist, Kakko, Chytil, Othmann, Cuylle, Laf, Barron and Kravtsov since we’re going all in. The team won’t win or go anywhere and in 2 years they’ll just be aging and we’d need another rebuild. I said before the downfall of the rebuild was signing Panarin and trading for Trouba. Those two moves were so stupid when the idea was to rebuild cause now you have the very problem you mention of guys at completely different points in their career conflicting and now you don’t know which way to go. I think it’s already too late and they screwed this up. I have a feeling the next 5-10 years will mirror the early 2010’s, where they were good but not great and never got the job done.
Jan. 29, 2022 at 3:25 a.m.
If Shesty asks for $10 mil you let him walk. You can’t pay a goalie that much money. Unless he wins the Vezina and backstops the team to a cup he isn’t worth that at all. That’s how you end up with a Lundqvist and Price situation where a goalie makes way too much money hampering the team. Only thinking about the next 2 years is ridiculously short sighted. Guess we might as well trade Jones, Miller, Robertson, Schneider, Lundkvist, Kakko, Chytil, Othmann, Cuylle, Laf, Barron and Kravtsov since we’re going all in. The team won’t win or go anywhere and in 2 years they’ll just be aging and we’d need another rebuild. I said before the downfall of the rebuild was signing Panarin and trading for Trouba. Those two moves were so stupid when the idea was to rebuild cause now you have the very problem you mention of guys at completely different points in their career conflicting and now you don’t know which way to go. I think it’s already too late and they screwed this up. I have a feeling the next 5-10 years will mirror the early 2010’s, where they were good but not great and never got the job done.

I mean you take the suggestion of trading 2 young players to a bit of a hyperbole there. Trading 2 (one of which is probably going to get moved in a deal anyways) doesn't completely throw away the future.

I don't completely disagree with the Trouba and Panarin take but the fact of the matter is its the big Apple and there is a lot of completion for entertainment there. On top of that their owner is notorious for being impatient with both the Rangers and the Knicks. So taking it slow with a rebuild just isn't in the Rangers DNA. Having said that I'd rather see them make a move like this that doesn't completely hamper their future but also significantly increases their short term chances at a cup.

I agree you can't pay a goalie 10mil but at the same time shesty was highly touted before coming into the league and will probably he a top 5 goalie at worst for the next 5 years. You can't win without top end goaltending. You don't always have to have the best goalie but you have to have one of the hottest goalies come playoffs. So whether they pay shesty 10mil or let him walk still proves the same point that they need to win on his current contract or else things become much more difficult.
Jan. 29, 2022 at 3:28 a.m.
I mean you take the suggestion of trading 2 young players to a bit of a hyperbole there. Trading 2 (one of which is probably going to get moved in a deal anyways) doesn't completely throw away the future.

I don't completely disagree with the Trouba and Panarin take but the fact of the matter is its the big Apple and there is a lot of completion for entertainment there. On top of that their owner is notorious for being impatient with both the Rangers and the Knicks. So taking it slow with a rebuild just isn't in the Rangers DNA. Having said that I'd rather see them make a move like this that doesn't completely hamper their future but also significantly increases their short term chances at a cup.

I agree you can't pay a goalie 10mil but at the same time shesty was highly touted before coming into the league and will probably he a top 5 goalie at worst for the next 5 years. You can't win without top end goaltending. You don't always have to have the best goalie but you have to have one of the hottest goalies come playoffs. So whether they pay shesty 10mil or let him walk still proves the same point that they need to win on his current contract or else things become much more difficult.

Not tryna be condescending, but for all that win now mentality what do they have to show for it. 1 cup since 1940. Hockey will never surpass any of the other sports teams in New York regardless of whether or not they’re winning so I kinda find that point a little unreasonable because no matter what they do it’ll always be a niche.
Jan. 29, 2022 at 3:34 a.m.
Not tryna be condescending, but for all that win now mentality what do they have to show for it. 1 cup since 1940. Hockey will never surpass any of the other sports teams in New York regardless of whether or not they’re winning so I kinda find that point a little unreasonable because no matter what they do it’ll always be a niche.

I don't disagree but it's just a reality. Unfortunately the Rangers have an impatient owner as well. Rangers saw a popularity boost when they won the cup in 94 and with Gretzky there. It's noticeable in media around that time (friends, Seinfeld are two show in particular that come to mind). The Rangers always seem to chase that high and it's difficult to build slowly because there's always stars that want to sign in the big Apple. Unfortunately that leads to signing a lot of aging stars.
Jan. 29, 2022 at 3:54 a.m.
down bad

Fox is 23
Shesterkin Is 26
Panarin is 30 but look at Ovechkin at 36

Best transition in hockey are when guys like Panarin mentor guys like Laf. Old teach young. This year their 2 best players. Rangers are #1 in the best division in hockey why would they trade assets (great assets) for a guy that scores 50% of his points on the power play and is below average defensively?
Jan. 29, 2022 at 3:54 a.m.
down bad
Quoting: DogDayCaps2
Fox is 23
Shesterkin Is 26

Best transition in hockey are when guys like Panarin mentor guys like Laf. Old teach young. This year their 2 best players are Fox and Igor. Rangers are #1 in the best division in hockey why would they trade assets (great assets) for a guy that scores 50% of his points on the power play and is below average defensively?
Jan. 29, 2022 at 10:14 a.m.
I don’t think Devils do that
Jan. 29, 2022 at 10:48 a.m.
Banned
Fox is 23
Shesterkin Is 26

Best transition in hockey are when guys like Panarin mentor guys like Laf. Old teach young. This year their 2 best players. Rangers are #1 in the best division in hockey why would they trade assets (great assets) for a guy that scores 50% of his points on the power play and is below average defensively?

it's very skeptical to call the Metro the best division in hockey anymore. and NYR are 3rd in that division.
CAR and PIT are the best two teams in it. NYR are suspect. WSH is a mediocre team at this point and the rest of the division has fallen into reality. CBJ in rebuild mode, NYI fell off the map, NJ in rebuild mode, and PHL is a tire fire.
I think one could argue the Central is the best division in hockey right now as you got possibly 5 playoff teams coming out of that division. Metro looks like it's gonna have 4 this year, when they have usually had 5.
Jan. 29, 2022 at 11:52 a.m.
I don't disagree but it's just a reality. Unfortunately the Rangers have an impatient owner as well. Rangers saw a popularity boost when they won the cup in 94 and with Gretzky there. It's noticeable in media around that time (friends, Seinfeld are two show in particular that come to mind). The Rangers always seem to chase that high and it's difficult to build slowly because there's always stars that want to sign in the big Apple. Unfortunately that leads to signing a lot of aging stars.

Unfortunately this will be their downfall. It’s honestly sad to watch it unfold.
Jan. 29, 2022 at 12:19 p.m.
Fox is 23
Shesterkin Is 26

I wouldn't use one of the greatest players of all time and the games best goal scorer as an example. He's an exception not the norm.

Shesty and fox are young but their best chance is to win on shestys current contract which is this year plus 3 more seasons. Because he will get a massive raise when that contract is over.
Jan. 29, 2022 at 12:25 p.m.
Quoting: NHLfan10506

I wasn't so sure when I first thought of this trade months ago but I'm more convinced it's something they would consider. They are only 2 years apart in age and the counting stats are fairly similar. Pearson averages about 2-3mins more per game. But NJD had playoff aspirations this year and are undoubtedly disappointed with how things have gone. Pearson is a guy with a ton of experience that has won cups and is a very responsible two way player. With all the offensive young talent that NJD has on forward this just seems like a textbook hockey trade to try and bring some stability in for them.
Jan. 29, 2022 at 9:23 p.m.
down bad
Quoting: pharrow
it's very skeptical to call the Metro the best division in hockey anymore. and NYR are 3rd in that division.
CAR and PIT are the best two teams in it. NYR are suspect. WSH is a mediocre team at this point and the rest of the division has fallen into reality. CBJ in rebuild mode, NYI fell off the map, NJ in rebuild mode, and PHL is a tire fire.
I think one could argue the Central is the best division in hockey right now as you got possibly 5 playoff teams coming out of that division. Metro looks like it's gonna have 4 this year, when they have usually had 5.

Washington has one bad month? Maybe missing Oshie Orlov Jensen Carlson Mantha for a few games will do that to you. Penguins are 4 points ahead. Maybe wait till Washington has a healthy team to make bold claims like that lol
Jan. 30, 2022 at 4:42 a.m.
Banned
Washington has one bad month? Maybe missing Oshie Orlov Jensen Carlson Mantha for a few games will do that to you. Penguins are 4 points ahead. Maybe wait till Washington has a healthy team to make bold claims like that lol

so lets get this right, injuries are the excuse?
And your comparison is the penguins?
Come on man. The penguins injury issues have been far worse but the play on the ice has been far better.

It's not an injury issue anyhow. It's the team itself. It's just a mediocre team. They have the fewest regulation wins in the whole east as far as potential playoff teams.
The defense is suspect, the offense lacks real pop. It is what it is.
If anyone else was actually playing well in the Metro would WSH even have a playoff spot right now? NYI.....
They are simply the strongest out of the rest that has totally collapsed. They are like BOS, a team going to wrong direction.
Jan. 30, 2022 at 5:05 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: NHLfan10506

It's not a bad lateral move, the value is pretty even I would say
Jan. 30, 2022 at 6:03 a.m.
Quoting: Knuckl3s
It's not a bad lateral move, the value is pretty even I would say

The value is close to even, similar salary, both have similar NTC, Johnsson has a little more production and one less year on deal. I'd say devils just keep their guy.
Jan. 30, 2022 at 11:29 p.m.
down bad
so lets get this right, injuries are the excuse?
And your comparison is the penguins?
Come on man. The penguins injury issues have been far worse but the play on the ice has been far better.

It's not an injury issue anyhow. It's the team itself. It's just a mediocre team. They have the fewest regulation wins in the whole east as far as potential playoff teams.
The defense is suspect, the offense lacks real pop. It is what it is.
If anyone else was actually playing well in the Metro would WSH even have a playoff spot right now? NYI.....
They are simply the strongest out of the rest that has totally collapsed. They are like BOS, a team going to wrong direction.

They are literally 4 points behind the penguins lmfao. 4!! Injuries? Yeah that will hinder standing points. Washington has been way worse than Pittsburgh lol. Again they had a bad month.

“ If anyone else was actually playing well in the Metro would WSH even have a playoff spot right now” yes lol
Jan. 31, 2022 at 12:08 a.m.
Ryan Strome for Pettersson + Hughes
Jan. 31, 2022 at 6:52 a.m.
Banned
They are literally 4 points behind the penguins lmfao. 4!! Injuries? Yeah that will hinder standing points. Washington has been way worse than Pittsburgh lol. Again they had a bad month.

“ If anyone else was actually playing well in the Metro would WSH even have a playoff spot right now” yes lol

being 4 points behind the penguins who have spent most of the year injured does not make one a "good team".
Way to many people on here look at points as being the deciding factor on what makes a team "good".
Meanwhile, their defense is suspect, they have little depth in the forward group.
But you keep thinking that makes them a good team.
Jan. 31, 2022 at 12:18 p.m.
down bad
being 4 points behind the penguins who have spent most of the year injured does not make one a "good team".
Way to many people on here look at points as being the deciding factor on what makes a team "good".
Meanwhile, their defense is suspect, they have little depth in the forward group.
But you keep thinking that makes them a good team.

Forward group that is “little depth” lol
Mantha
Oshie
Backstrom
Wilson
Eller
OVECHKIN
Sheary
Kuzy

Have you seen Washington’s forward depth ? Even Dowd and Hathaway are great 4th line forwards

Defense is average but it’s always been average. MF is a rookie playing top pairing. Again the “best team” and a mediocre team is 4 points. I think it’s laughable.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll