SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Boston Bruins

I would be scared of the Bruins future

Feb. 2, 2022 at 4:54 p.m.
Jimmy Stu
Honestly, this is not talked about enough at all because of their great team performance the last 10 years, but what do they have coming in prospects?? Lysell and that's it. Seriously, they have the worst prospect pool in the league. Bergeron 37 , Marchand 34 next year and we're talking McAvoy, Hall, Swayman and Pastrnak. Pastrnak and McAvoy are great but it's just not enough. And what if Pasta decides to test FA after next year?? Oh my. The 2015 reset was some of the worst drafting in NHL history and they will be paying dearly in a couple of years. For all the flack the Habs get for drafting poorly, the Bruins are right there with them. I think (some) Boston fans want them to trade picks for help but honestly they should probably spend little capital and keep their top picks because their cupboards are bare. They can't afford to go after good young players either because they simply don't have desirable assets. I also wouldn't consider them a cup contender so they're in a tough spot. Spend minimally, trade Debrusk for a centre if possible, convince Pasta to stay and start drafting well because Boston could be in for years of hurt.
Saskleaf liked this.
Feb. 3, 2022 at 12:43 a.m.
GM CRIME DAWG
Quoting: CMac66
Honestly, this is not talked about enough at all because of their great team performance the last 10 years, but what do they have coming in prospects?? Lysell and that's it. Seriously, they have the worst prospect pool in the league. Bergeron 37 , Marchand 34 next year and we're talking McAvoy, Hall, Swayman and Pastrnak. Pastrnak and McAvoy are great but it's just not enough. And what if Pasta decides to test FA after next year?? Oh my. The 2015 reset was some of the worst drafting in NHL history and they will be paying dearly in a couple of years. For all the flack the Habs get for drafting poorly, the Bruins are right there with them. I think (some) Boston fans want them to trade picks for help but honestly they should probably spend little capital and keep their top picks because their cupboards are bare. They can't afford to go after good young players either because they simply don't have desirable assets. I also wouldn't consider them a cup contender so they're in a tough spot. Spend minimally, trade Debrusk for a centre if possible, convince Pasta to stay and start drafting well because Boston could be in for years of hurt.

Well duh, what do you think happens to successful sports clubs...(Patriots, Steelers, Lakers, Bulls, Sox yadda yadda).

They have pieces and warts and blemishes just like the other 31 NHL clubs and "what if's ^ ^ ^" are like arse-holes (we all got em)...
What if Pasta signs again, or
Debrusk is playing well in 2022, what if he stays and flourishes.
Carlo was a key 2015 2nd round steal (who'd your club draft? - Gabe Gagne - never heard of him; neither has the NHL!).
* In fact, the 2015 BOS draftee's have more NHL games played than the OTT bunch...hmmmm, why's that?
Vaak's fit in
Steen's a spark
Swayman looks legit...
blah blah blah...
KennyBoi liked this.
Feb. 3, 2022 at 7:07 p.m.
Jimmy Stu
Quoting: McGruff
Well duh, what do you think happens to successful sports clubs...(Patriots, Steelers, Lakers, Bulls, Sox yadda yadda).

They have pieces and warts and blemishes just like the other 31 NHL clubs and "what if's ^ ^ ^" are like arse-holes (we all got em)...
What if Pasta signs again, or
Debrusk is playing well in 2022, what if he stays and flourishes.
Carlo was a key 2015 2nd round steal (who'd your club draft? - Gabe Gagne - never heard of him; neither has the NHL!).
* In fact, the 2015 BOS draftee's have more NHL games played than the OTT bunch...hmmmm, why's that?
Vaak's fit in
Steen's a spark
Swayman looks legit...
blah blah blah...

Someone took that a little personally 😂😂. I only gave one if scenario but yes let's focus on that. Seems like you're more interested in slamming draft picks (missing they also drafted Chabot after the Bruins) than taking an unbiased look at the team you cheer for. And yet you would trade your whole 2015 draft class for chabot... But good thing there are more games played

If* I was a fan of the Bruins, I would be concerned. And there's a legit reason to be concerned. I don't know why you're lashing out at me for pointing that out. Debrusk asked for a trade so doubtful he will be there, Steen and Vaak are nice players but not future core pieces to build around. Aside from Lysell who I really like, there is no high end prospect in the Bruins pipeline... Just a fact. No ifs there. I'm just saying they should focus on building a prospect pool... I hope that's not too offensive for you 😂😂
VilleKoho liked this.
Feb. 3, 2022 at 7:28 p.m.
GM CRIME DAWG
Edited Feb. 3, 2022 at 7:33 p.m.
Someone took that a little personally 😂😂. I only gave one if scenario but yes let's focus on that. Seems like you're more interested in slamming draft picks (missing they also drafted Chabot after the Bruins) than taking an unbiased look at the team you cheer for. And yet you would trade your whole 2015 draft class for chabot... But good thing there are more games played

If* I was a fan of the Bruins, I would be concerned. And there's a legit reason to be concerned. I don't know why you're lashing out at me for pointing that out. Debrusk asked for a trade so doubtful he will be there, Steen and Vaak are nice players but not future core pieces to build around. Aside from Lysell who I really like, there is no high end prospect in the Bruins pipeline... Just a fact. No ifs there. I'm just saying they should focus on building a prospect pool... I hope that's not too offensive for you 😂😂

I am replying the same way as if this was Leafs or OTT or any team. All teams have this kind of backstory, which you are able to see through hindsight. Alexander Daigle anybody! Don't be so defensive - grow a pair it's your opinion vs mine that's all - I would not trade Chabot for Carlo truth be told...D wins championships.

There has been 100s of posts on 2015, and I like to dive behind the usual fan narrative, or uneducated blurb.

J. DeB & Zboril were as advertised (in the mid-teens on scouting reports) Seny - he was off the board BUT did have two 40G seasons in the Soo, he filled a RW-need and had speed that BOS did not have in the system.
Connor (check he'd be better)
Chabot (same)
Barzal - was not a miss. He had knee surgery in Jr. and BOS knows more about bad knees than any other NHL club. Additionally, he would not have seen the ice like he's seen in NYI (re: Bergeron/DK).

Every year there's the same thing and when most redo this draft - they still get it wrong!

No way they could keep those "better" guys all together by now anyway or have drafted/signed McAvoy yadda yadda...

Eventually rebuilds happen to all clubs - DET/LA come to mind...they have some good young talent and that's new excitement - just different. Fans should just get out the golf clubs, put some cold ones in the bag, and wait a few rounds - no concern t'all
KennyBoi liked this.
Feb. 4, 2022 at 12:43 a.m.
Jimmy Stu
I am replying the same way as if this was Leafs or OTT or any team. All teams have this kind of backstory, which you are able to see through hindsight. Alexander Daigle anybody! Don't be so defensive - grow a pair it's your opinion vs mine that's all - I would not trade Chabot for Carlo truth be told...D wins championships.

There has been 100s of posts on 2015, and I like to dive behind the usual fan narrative, or uneducated blurb.

J. DeB & Zboril were as advertised (in the mid-teens on scouting reports) Seny - he was off the board BUT did have two 40G seasons in the Soo, he filled a RW-need and had speed that BOS did not have in the system.
Connor (check he'd be better)
Chabot (same)
Barzal - was not a miss. He had knee surgery in Jr. and BOS knows more about bad knees than any other NHL club. Additionally, he would not have seen the ice like he's seen in NYI (re: Bergeron/DK).

Every year there's the same thing and when most redo this draft - they still get it wrong!

No way they could keep those "better" guys all together by now anyway or have drafted/signed McAvoy yadda yadda...

Eventually rebuilds happen to all clubs - DET/LA come to mind...they have some good young talent and that's new excitement - just different. Fans should just get out the golf clubs, put some cold ones in the bag, and wait a few rounds - no concern t'all

Again, missing the point of my post. This isn't a 2015 draft post. It was just one contributing factor. They have had a history of poor drafting not just 2015. And aside from Hall, thier trades haven't brought in long lasting returns. I also pointed out their good pieces as part of the future. The problem is that right now in 2022, there is not much aside from those 4 already in place. That's a problem. I think it's fair to say they need to focus on the draft starting this year and trading picks may not be the best idea. Player for player swaps, totally. Late picks, sure. But that's it.

OK, suuure you wouldn't do Chabot for Carlo lol. But Sweeney sure would. If you had said McAvoy, I can understand that. Thats a player preference at that point, not really a wrong answer. But Carlo?? Maybe a slight homer bias there Lol
McGruff, VilleKoho and Saskleaf liked this.
Feb. 4, 2022 at 1:12 a.m.
GM CRIME DAWG
Edited Feb. 4, 2022 at 1:33 a.m.
Again, missing the point of my post. This isn't a 2015 draft post. It was just one contributing factor. They have had a history of poor drafting not just 2015. And aside from Hall, thier trades haven't brought in long lasting returns. I also pointed out their good pieces as part of the future. The problem is that right now in 2022, there is not much aside from those 4 already in place. That's a problem. I think it's fair to say they need to focus on the draft starting this year and trading picks may not be the best idea. Player for player swaps, totally. Late picks, sure. But that's it.

OK, suuure you wouldn't do Chabot for Carlo lol. But Sweeney sure would. If you had said McAvoy, I can understand that. Thats a player preference at that point, not really a wrong answer. But Carlo?? Maybe a slight homer bias there Lol

I stand corrected, my bad your expose' ^ ^ ^ is so telling...

This group gets one more shot; 100% - any GM/ACGM that thinks otherwise is an idiot.

If that means losing some picks/prospects so be it. All you have to do is get to the dance (Kings - 8th place and then Champagne Stanley)!

As you wouldn't know, when a club is in the upper percentile of successful teams they don't get to select the easy, low hanging fruit/prospects that even GM monkey's could select @ the draft.

Moreover, when you are in a position to go for it, by being successful seasonally and in the first 82G's, then it's imperative a good GM rolls the dice (that's the trades/picks for PLAYOFF NHLers push; Nash, Hall etc.) for the GROUP that fought hard to get there.

Any GM/ACGM that thinks otherwise is an idiot.

Conclusion: When you do that over a stretch of 10 to 12 years straight (year after year) it's bound to eventually end up in a pickle! I know hey, a gripping new fact that no one on here has ever embraced before...good thing you did first...
Feb. 5, 2022 at 9:33 p.m.

The Bruins are most likely a playoff team but agreed, they are not a Cup contender. Unless they get another player like Hall dropped in their laps they should keep all their top picks. Their core of Rask, Chara, Bergeron, Marchand and Krejci with the additions of Pastrnak and McAvoy have given Bruin fans a great ride the last 10-12 years. Now they have to draft well to replace these stalwarts that are aging out. Hopefully it started last year with Lysell and two years ago with 2nd round pick Lohrei who shows potential. Like Bergeron (2nd 2003), Krejci (2nd 2004) and Kessel (1st 2006), Lucic (2nd 2006), Marchand (3rd 2006) last year and these next two drafts are critical to bringing in impact players. With Swayman, Pastrnak, McAvoy, Hall, Carlo, Marchand for 3 more years and hopefully Bergeron there is plenty to build around. Their GM also can't afford to miss on any trades (Nash, Kase) he may make or whiff on any FA signings like he has in the past (Beleskey, Backes, Moore, Folignio, Reilly, Forbort). With all his failures it really is a miracle and a testament to their core strength that they have been able to maintain their excellence for so long. Most people think they are approaching the end and that is probable but with a series of good drafts, a critical FA signing (Hertl ?) and a well executed trade (DeBrusk) there is always hope for this Bruins fan.
CMac66 liked this.
Feb. 6, 2022 at 10:34 a.m.
Jimmy Stu
Quoting: BruinsCharlies
The Bruins are most likely a playoff team but agreed, they are not a Cup contender. Unless they get another player like Hall dropped in their laps they should keep all their top picks. Their core of Rask, Chara, Bergeron, Marchand and Krejci with the additions of Pastrnak and McAvoy have given Bruin fans a great ride the last 10-12 years. Now they have to draft well to replace these stalwarts that are aging out. Hopefully it started last year with Lysell and two years ago with 2nd round pick Lohrei who shows potential. Like Bergeron (2nd 2003), Krejci (2nd 2004) and Kessel (1st 2006), Lucic (2nd 2006), Marchand (3rd 2006) last year and these next two drafts are critical to bringing in impact players. With Swayman, Pastrnak, McAvoy, Hall, Carlo, Marchand for 3 more years and hopefully Bergeron there is plenty to build around. Their GM also can't afford to miss on any trades (Nash, Kase) he may make or whiff on any FA signings like he has in the past (Beleskey, Backes, Moore, Folignio, Reilly, Forbort). With all his failures it really is a miracle and a testament to their core strength that they have been able to maintain their excellence for so long. Most people think they are approaching the end and that is probable but with a series of good drafts, a critical FA signing (Hertl ?) and a well executed trade (DeBrusk) there is always hope for this Bruins fan.

I forgot about Lohrei he looks like a player. Definitely a playoff team, the East looks pretty set. I agree it's impressive they haven't had big dips given those signings and trades that just haven't returned much. I have to think coaching plays a big role too. Cassidy seems like one of the top coaches in the league. Frankly, as a Sens fan I'd rather see the Bruins fail miserably lol, but when I hear talk of them trading their 1st or one of their few prospects, if I was a Bruins fan, I'd be hesitant. Bargain hunt for depth or try and get another buy low trade like with Hall. If the Bruins were one of the favourites for the cup then I'd think differently. Or as a fan would you rather them go for broke? Then have a potentially long rebuild in a couple years?
BruinsCharlies liked this.
Feb. 6, 2022 at 1:44 p.m.
I forgot about Lohrei he looks like a player. Definitely a playoff team, the East looks pretty set. I agree it's impressive they haven't had big dips given those signings and trades that just haven't returned much. I have to think coaching plays a big role too. Cassidy seems like one of the top coaches in the league. Frankly, as a Sens fan I'd rather see the Bruins fail miserably lol, but when I hear talk of them trading their 1st or one of their few prospects, if I was a Bruins fan, I'd be hesitant. Bargain hunt for depth or try and get another buy low trade like with Hall. If the Bruins were one of the favourites for the cup then I'd think differently. Or as a fan would you rather them go for broke? Then have a potentially long rebuild in a couple years?

I agree with you about Cassidy. He gets the best out of his best players which is what a good coach is supposed to do. Other Bruin fans dog him for not getting more out of younger or bottom of the roster players but I believe that is more a reflection of Sweeney than Cassidy. For me there is no going for broke right now. They are short a top 6C, a top 6RW and there LD is not strong enough to be a serious Cup contender. Don't have the assets to solve all those deficiencies by going for broke. Don't have a lot of faith in Sweeney to get a quick and successful reset in place but I'm definitely not interested in a long rebuild in a year or two.
CMac66 liked this.
Feb. 11, 2022 at 5:04 p.m.
The biggest issue with the bruins is lack of quality depth. marchand bergeron pastrnak and hall on offense and thats really it. coyle is playing towards a fringe top 6 level. but foligno, debrusk, smith, all playing at a 3rd line rate. haula playing at a 3rd line rate. the difference between smith whos playing with the top line and lazar whos playing 3rd and 4th line is 3 points. 1 goal 2 assists. thats just not gunna cut it. there isnt enough true top 6 talent to compete with clubs like carolina. not to mention the bruins DRASTICALLY need to figure out that 3rd dpairing.

Add in the fact that most of your center draft picks in recent years (frederic, beecher, studnicka, steen, lauko, JFK) either havent made the jump, havent proven they belong, or arent quality players. I think steen is a solid 3rd line rw but we have 3 of those atm. thats why every time i see a trade where the bruins are giving up lysell i just laugh because the bruins best prospect is lysell, they arent selling him for anything short of a superstar in their prime. doesnt make sense to. similar to lohrei who is an animal in college right now, i love the way he is looking. they need a top 6 rw and a 2nd line center to pair with a defender or 2. thats alot to ask at the deadline. i love bergy i wanna give him another shot here but this year is really not looking good for that to happen. look at how badly carolina has beaten us the last 2 games. i know we were shorthanded but we got whooped both times.
BruinsCharlies and CMac66 liked this.
Feb. 11, 2022 at 11:09 p.m.
Quoting: hanson493
The biggest issue with the bruins is lack of quality depth. marchand bergeron pastrnak and hall on offense and thats really it. coyle is playing towards a fringe top 6 level. but foligno, debrusk, smith, all playing at a 3rd line rate. haula playing at a 3rd line rate. the difference between smith whos playing with the top line and lazar whos playing 3rd and 4th line is 3 points. 1 goal 2 assists. thats just not gunna cut it. there isnt enough true top 6 talent to compete with clubs like carolina. not to mention the bruins DRASTICALLY need to figure out that 3rd dpairing.

Add in the fact that most of your center draft picks in recent years (frederic, beecher, studnicka, steen, lauko, JFK) either havent made the jump, havent proven they belong, or arent quality players. I think steen is a solid 3rd line rw but we have 3 of those atm. thats why every time i see a trade where the bruins are giving up lysell i just laugh because the bruins best prospect is lysell, they arent selling him for anything short of a superstar in their prime. doesnt make sense to. similar to lohrei who is an animal in college right now, i love the way he is looking. they need a top 6 rw and a 2nd line center to pair with a defender or 2. thats alot to ask at the deadline. i love bergy i wanna give him another shot here but this year is really not looking good for that to happen. look at how badly carolina has beaten us the last 2 games. i know we were shorthanded but we got whooped both times.

You are right. They don't have enough true top 6 talent to compete with Carolina AND the Rangers, Toronto, Tampa and even Florida in the East. The Bruins need impact players. Skill, speed, size and toughness. A top 6 RW and top 6 C. Maybe it's Lysell and hope to get a crack at Hertl in FA. Two top 4 LD. Maybe one is Lysell. Drafting is the way to do it. Have to hit on your 1sts and 2nds.The bottom 6? You need speed and one of size or toughness or both. Who out of Folignio, DeBrusk, Frederic, Lazar, Steen, Blidh, Nosek or Haula puts any fear in any team whatsoever? It's going to take this year and next to sort that out courtesy of the contracts DS has handed out. Vaak, Zboril, Moore, Reilly, Forbort, Clifford for 3rd pair D? Another Sweeney failure. Forget adding at the deadline. Sweeney's hands are tied of his own doing. The Bruins would do well to be able to move a couple of mediocre players with mediocre contracts as they prepare for next year. Accept the fact that a first round loss is probable if they do make the playoffs and prepare for next year and beyond.
CMac66 liked this.
Feb. 16, 2022 at 4:50 p.m.
Ville Koho
You are right. They don't have enough true top 6 talent to compete with Carolina AND the Rangers, Toronto, Tampa and even Florida in the East. The Bruins need impact players. Skill, speed, size and toughness. A top 6 RW and top 6 C. Maybe it's Lysell and hope to get a crack at Hertl in FA. Two top 4 LD. Maybe one is Lysell. Drafting is the way to do it. Have to hit on your 1sts and 2nds.The bottom 6? You need speed and one of size or toughness or both. Who out of Folignio, DeBrusk, Frederic, Lazar, Steen, Blidh, Nosek or Haula puts any fear in any team whatsoever? It's going to take this year and next to sort that out courtesy of the contracts DS has handed out. Vaak, Zboril, Moore, Reilly, Forbort, Clifford for 3rd pair D? Another Sweeney failure. Forget adding at the deadline. Sweeney's hands are tied of his own doing. The Bruins would do well to be able to move a couple of mediocre players with mediocre contracts as they prepare for next year. Accept the fact that a first round loss is probable if they do make the playoffs and prepare for next year and beyond.

I stand corrected, my bad your expose' ^ ^ ^ is so telling...

This group gets one more shot; 100% - any GM/ACGM that thinks otherwise is an idiot.

If that means losing some picks/prospects so be it. All you have to do is get to the dance (Kings - 8th place and then Champagne Stanley)!

As you wouldn't know, when a club is in the upper percentile of successful teams they don't get to select the easy, low hanging fruit/prospects that even GM monkey's could select the draft.

Moreover, when you are in a position to go for it, by being successful seasonally and in the first 82G's, then it's imperative a good GM rolls the dice (that's the trades/picks for PLAYOFF NHLers push; Nash, Hall etc.) for the GROUP that fought hard to get there.

Any GM/ACGM that thinks otherwise is an idiot.

Conclusion: When you do that over a stretch of 10 to 12 years straight (year after year) it's bound to eventually end up in a pickle! I know hey, a gripping new fact that no one on here has ever embraced before...good thing you did first...

Hi everybody!
The biggest issues with the bruins is as following:
- Their coach sucks and they don't give anyone an actual (more than 5 game) shot at making the big club, and strangely favors some players over others.
- The team lacks direction and is not keeping in touch with the modern NHL style of play.
- They are too stubborn to change their idea and direction of the team and it has really shown in the loss of Krecho and Big Z and even Krug.
- Players that have been brought in through trade and played well with the club (Ritchie, Johansson, and even Nick Holden) have been let go and signed by other teams for pennies
- Free agent signings have either been a disaster or just another signature 4th line undersized player who can't fight
- Jared Tinordi drove all the way from Nashville to come beat up Tom Wilson and they couldn't even give him the 900k the rangers gave him.
- The team has been getting bullied ever since Chara left and they have yet to address it (and no you can't make Trent Frederic fight everyone).
- Not riding the hot hand in goal and playing Swayman in the playoffs last season as Rask was clearly injured and could barely play
- Trying to live in the past by bring back Rask, hoping for the return of Krecho and relying on Kevin Miller to be in the top 6
- We realistically have yet to be "all in" (2019 was not all in, 2020 was even less of that... was 2021 when we were all in, cuz that's just sad)
- The cup window has closed quicker than it needed to due to the mismanagement of assets, and confusing free agent signings

All in all once Bergy hangs em up we're done for. Marchand without Bergy is not as good as we see him now. When that day comes we will see who is the first to go -- Cassidy or Sweeney?
Saskleaf liked this.
Feb. 17, 2022 at 10:31 a.m.
Quoting: Ville__Koho
Hi everybody!
The biggest issues with the bruins is as following:
- Their coach sucks and they don't give anyone an actual (more than 5 game) shot at making the big club, and strangely favors some players over others.
- The team lacks direction and is not keeping in touch with the modern NHL style of play.
- They are too stubborn to change their idea and direction of the team and it has really shown in the loss of Krecho and Big Z and even Krug.
- Players that have been brought in through trade and played well with the club (Ritchie, Johansson, and even Nick Holden) have been let go and signed by other teams for pennies
- Free agent signings have either been a disaster or just another signature 4th line undersized player who can't fight
- Jared Tinordi drove all the way from Nashville to come beat up Tom Wilson and they couldn't even give him the 900k the rangers gave him.
- The team has been getting bullied ever since Chara left and they have yet to address it (and no you can't make Trent Frederic fight everyone).
- Not riding the hot hand in goal and playing Swayman in the playoffs last season as Rask was clearly injured and could barely play
- Trying to live in the past by bring back Rask, hoping for the return of Krecho and relying on Kevin Miller to be in the top 6
- We realistically have yet to be "all in" (2019 was not all in, 2020 was even less of that... was 2021 when we were all in, cuz that's just sad)
- The cup window has closed quicker than it needed to due to the mismanagement of assets, and confusing free agent signings

All in all once Bergy hangs em up we're done for. Marchand without Bergy is not as good as we see him now. When that day comes we will see who is the first to go -- Cassidy or Sweeney?

1. The biggest issue is ownership... not gm, not coach, ownership. Jacobs only cares about MAKING the playoffs. he doesnt care about winning. Thats all theyve ever cared about.
2. Cassidy is one of the top 5 winningest coaches in the last decade percentage wise. Maybe its not the coach, but the players not buying in, or the players not fitting in well with their linemates? maybe they too have a development problem at forward (see rangers)
3. Team direction is fine, theyve been cap strung for years since iginla trade and having to unload boychuk.
4. Too stubborn to change their ideals? Chara was the captain, they should have moved on alot earlier than they did but they got ALL of his usefulness out of him. Krejci was inexcusable he just wanted some wingers to play with. Krug they should have traded him at the deadline he is way overpaid for what he brings to the table.
5. the 3 players you referenced 2 of them did not actually play that well here. ritchie was and is terrible you wanted them to change their ideals, blidh and ritchie are the same player. blidh makes 1.5m less, ritchie was waived with toronto how many times this year? he went from 2nd line to 4th line to HS with bruins in like 2 months last year. MOJO was a solid player but again, cap space... he signed for 4.5m coming off the playoff run. bruins couldnt sign him to that. Holden was signed for cheaper but hes not exactly an impact player. hes a bottom pair dman.
6. Free agency typically is a disaster, if you are trying to fill major holes as this team has had to fill over the last 10 years via free agency you are doing something wrong. this year for example... they came into the year with a 2c hole, a 2rw hole, a 1/2 LD hole depending on how you wanna utilize grz and both Goalie spots. and a 3RD hole. they brought in forbort brought back reilly both of which are more suited for 3 LD roles. they brought in haula, and nosek who are 3/4 C's, brought in ullmark to play 1G, plan was to bring back rask to play 1G but he just didnt have it, they wanted another full development year for swayman but hes looked good as 1(B)G. and didnt fill the 2 RW hole.
7. Tinordi sucked, he was literally only useful to fight. he couldnt play defense.
8. Team got bullied WITH Chara here.
9. Rask was okay health wise until midway through the isles series. they should have made the switch to sway but at the same time losing carlo was already losing the series because they had no defensive depth left.
10. Rask theoretically would have been a huge boost to the goalie tandems, and added a layer of depth if someone got hurt. Krejci leaving hurt a little but bruins should have sold on him a while ago and gotten a large return on him. relying on a healthy kevan miller was dumb yep.
11. cap has prevented us from being "all in" for years now due to terrible signings dating back to chia. belesky, spooner, backes, moore, wagner (extension), i think they actually made a step in the right direction NOT overpaying kuraly.
12. cup window is still open. we are currently 8th in the east. any team can make a run with hot goaltending, team could make a move or two and be right back in it, i think they NEED a 2c and a 3RD. I would also like a middle 6 winger and a middle pairing LD but with 6m committed to reilly and forbort that wont happen.

Once bergy hangs them up we are going to be in a full blow rebuild anyways because we will have no centers. they expected coyle to be able to take on some of the load at 2c and that didnt happen. they have 14.3m and a roster size of 17 goin into next year. defense is locked in, haula, smith, foligno, nosek all have 1 year remaining on their deals. someone could get moved in the offseason. there comes a point when you NEED players you drafted to succeed. In the last 6 drafts. so far mcavoy, carlo, debrusk, and frederic are the only nhl draftees playing for the bruins, you can add in zboril as he was here looking good before the acl. They just havent hit enough at the forward position in recent drafts.
BruinsCharlies liked this.
Feb. 17, 2022 at 8:15 p.m.
1. The biggest issue is ownership... not gm, not coach, ownership. Jacobs only cares about MAKING the playoffs. he doesnt care about winning. Thats all theyve ever cared about.
2. Cassidy is one of the top 5 winningest coaches in the last decade percentage wise. Maybe its not the coach, but the players not buying in, or the players not fitting in well with their linemates? maybe they too have a development problem at forward (see rangers)
3. Team direction is fine, theyve been cap strung for years since iginla trade and having to unload boychuk.
4. Too stubborn to change their ideals? Chara was the captain, they should have moved on alot earlier than they did but they got ALL of his usefulness out of him. Krejci was inexcusable he just wanted some wingers to play with. Krug they should have traded him at the deadline he is way overpaid for what he brings to the table.
5. the 3 players you referenced 2 of them did not actually play that well here. ritchie was and is terrible you wanted them to change their ideals, blidh and ritchie are the same player. blidh makes 1.5m less, ritchie was waived with toronto how many times this year? he went from 2nd line to 4th line to HS with bruins in like 2 months last year. MOJO was a solid player but again, cap space... he signed for 4.5m coming off the playoff run. bruins couldnt sign him to that. Holden was signed for cheaper but hes not exactly an impact player. hes a bottom pair dman.
6. Free agency typically is a disaster, if you are trying to fill major holes as this team has had to fill over the last 10 years via free agency you are doing something wrong. this year for example... they came into the year with a 2c hole, a 2rw hole, a 1/2 LD hole depending on how you wanna utilize grz and both Goalie spots. and a 3RD hole. they brought in forbort brought back reilly both of which are more suited for 3 LD roles. they brought in haula, and nosek who are 3/4 C's, brought in ullmark to play 1G, plan was to bring back rask to play 1G but he just didnt have it, they wanted another full development year for swayman but hes looked good as 1(B)G. and didnt fill the 2 RW hole.
7. Tinordi sucked, he was literally only useful to fight. he couldnt play defense.
8. Team got bullied WITH Chara here.
9. Rask was okay health wise until midway through the isles series. they should have made the switch to sway but at the same time losing carlo was already losing the series because they had no defensive depth left.
10. Rask theoretically would have been a huge boost to the goalie tandems, and added a layer of depth if someone got hurt. Krejci leaving hurt a little but bruins should have sold on him a while ago and gotten a large return on him. relying on a healthy kevan miller was dumb yep.
11. cap has prevented us from being "all in" for years now due to terrible signings dating back to chia. belesky, spooner, backes, moore, wagner (extension), i think they actually made a step in the right direction NOT overpaying kuraly.
12. cup window is still open. we are currently 8th in the east. any team can make a run with hot goaltending, team could make a move or two and be right back in it, i think they NEED a 2c and a 3RD. I would also like a middle 6 winger and a middle pairing LD but with 6m committed to reilly and forbort that wont happen.

Once bergy hangs them up we are going to be in a full blow rebuild anyways because we will have no centers. they expected coyle to be able to take on some of the load at 2c and that didnt happen. they have 14.3m and a roster size of 17 goin into next year. defense is locked in, haula, smith, foligno, nosek all have 1 year remaining on their deals. someone could get moved in the offseason. there comes a point when you NEED players you drafted to succeed. In the last 6 drafts. so far mcavoy, carlo, debrusk, and frederic are the only nhl draftees playing for the bruins, you can add in zboril as he was here looking good before the acl. They just havent hit enough at the forward position in recent drafts.

I'm with you about Cassidy. He get's the best out of his best players. He just needs more of them which brings us to Sweeney.
Like you said it's his terrible free agent signings, spotty drafting and trading 2 1sts in 2018 and 2020 for little return that have this Bruins team in limbo cap wise and talent wise.
Even with Carlo and DeBrusk from 2015 he still missed badly there. Besides Swayman no one from 2017 onward has made a full time impact on the team.
As much as it pains Bruin fans they have to ride out contracts for the next year and a half, should hold on to Lohrei and Lysell and keep their 1st and 2nd round selections in the next two drafts to rejuvenate this team moving forward.
Feb. 18, 2022 at 9:39 a.m.
I'm with you about Cassidy. He get's the best out of his best players. He just needs more of them which brings us to Sweeney.
Like you said it's his terrible free agent signings, spotty drafting and trading 2 1sts in 2018 and 2020 for little return that have this Bruins team in limbo cap wise and talent wise.
Even with Carlo and DeBrusk from 2015 he still missed badly there. Besides Swayman no one from 2017 onward has made a full time impact on the team.
As much as it pains Bruin fans they have to ride out contracts for the next year and a half, should hold on to Lohrei and Lysell and keep their 1st and 2nd round selections in the next two drafts to rejuvenate this team moving forward.

How much of that is sweeney, and how much of that is just bad scouting? there was a clear difference in talent this draft with lysell, harrison, and jellvik vs prior drafts. if im looking at the drafts... 2019 was a terrible draft, 2018 they have lauko who is really the only guy who might make the nhl. they traded andersson. 2017 urho finally starting to play, studnicka doesnt look great in the nhl atm, swayman looks fantastic. 2016 mcavoy frederic lindgren and steen all have nhl time, only difference is lindgren was traded away for rick nash who got hurt. Everyone quotes 2015 but you might not get chabot/barzal/connor that you do today, dont forget barzal had a major knee issue they didnt like.

Year by year (since 2015) 2016: mcavoy best pick at 14. could have picked fabbro or logan stanley and really had an issue. Taking frederic over kyrou or debrincat hurts a bit. both guys i really liked personally but they took a big body center that had a david backes esq feel to him. dont hate the pick. player just didnt pan out like they thought. rest of that draft class kinda stinks.
2017: chara is getting up there youre picking defense. Vaak was the highest rated defenseman on the board at that time after 4 defenders went off the board picks before you. this class was extremely thin. if you have your own 2nd round pick instead of edmontons (chiarelli comp) you could have gotten ferraro or comtois. missed those guys by literally 3-4 picks. not a whole lot in the early parts of this draft but i think there will be some steals as we start seeing more of them develop and come into the league (league wide not strictly bruins).
2018: traded your first to rangers, could have gotten lundkvist or sandin there if you kept that instead of trading for nash. lot of decent defenders went after your first round pick there lundkvist, sandin, alexeyev, samuelsson, romanov, woo, wilde. wouldnt have hated any of those picks tbh. but none fell enough in the 2nd and we end up taking axel andersson, this draft like the 2016 draft wasnt a great draft beyond really pick 45.
2019: you lose to the blues in the stanley cup finals and then youre at the end of the draft. i personally loved hoglander that draft, i like how he plays, i thought he was a prototypical bruin, i also really thought they were going to take alex vlasic because of his size. going with beecher was a kind of out there pick similar to the frederic pick. they were going more off athleticism and not focusing so much on the skills aspect. traded your 2nd AGAIN really rest of the draft not super great there either league wide.
2020: this was a tough trade because you gave up a first for a young player in kase, who just couldnt stay healthy for you and the ducks also got a decent player out of it, perreault is a nice prospect. hated the lohrei pick at the time, love it now. i wanted hirvonen, niemela, or sokolov i thought the leafs really made out in that draft getting both niemela and hirvonen but lohrei and kuntar could definitely see real nhl minutes. Lohrei is a potential top pairing player rest of draft they just were picking high enough for it to matter, after savoie in the 4th not a whole lot left.
2021: by far their best draft. lysell was a top 10 talent that fell to you in the 20s. harrison in the 3rd round looks like a steal. i was hoping the bruins may have traded back up into the 2nd to grab raty where he fell to pick 52 but they didnt. landing harrisson fits their center mold they like but he seems like he can actually put the puck in the net, vs frederic and beecher kind of lack that ability. 2021 draft is too recent to really judge though same with 2020.

it was just a tough time to add additional pieces to develop while also contending when you are picking in the back half of the round every year for 5 years. some steals here and there but for the most part just tough drafts and even tougher player outcomes in terms of drafting.

bigger problem and ive said it many times and will continue to say it. is that jacobs cares more about revenues and the income from the playoffs than actually winning a cup. all you have to do is look back to the 2014/15/16/17 years and see how terrible our farm system was and still kind of is and see the dumb trades/signings we had to make to replace those players. signing backes because we didnt have a winger in the system, trading for stempniak and liles because backes and our depth didnt pan out. it really all stems from jacobs forcing playoff appearances when the team wasnt good enough to compete for a cup.
Feb. 18, 2022 at 5:32 p.m.
How much of that is sweeney, and how much of that is just bad scouting? there was a clear difference in talent this draft with lysell, harrison, and jellvik vs prior drafts. if im looking at the drafts... 2019 was a terrible draft, 2018 they have lauko who is really the only guy who might make the nhl. they traded andersson. 2017 urho finally starting to play, studnicka doesnt look great in the nhl atm, swayman looks fantastic. 2016 mcavoy frederic lindgren and steen all have nhl time, only difference is lindgren was traded away for rick nash who got hurt. Everyone quotes 2015 but you might not get chabot/barzal/connor that you do today, dont forget barzal had a major knee issue they didnt like.

Year by year (since 2015) 2016: mcavoy best pick at 14. could have picked fabbro or logan stanley and really had an issue. Taking frederic over kyrou or debrincat hurts a bit. both guys i really liked personally but they took a big body center that had a david backes esq feel to him. dont hate the pick. player just didnt pan out like they thought. rest of that draft class kinda stinks.
2017: chara is getting up there youre picking defense. Vaak was the highest rated defenseman on the board at that time after 4 defenders went off the board picks before you. this class was extremely thin. if you have your own 2nd round pick instead of edmontons (chiarelli comp) you could have gotten ferraro or comtois. missed those guys by literally 3-4 picks. not a whole lot in the early parts of this draft but i think there will be some steals as we start seeing more of them develop and come into the league (league wide not strictly bruins).
2018: traded your first to rangers, could have gotten lundkvist or sandin there if you kept that instead of trading for nash. lot of decent defenders went after your first round pick there lundkvist, sandin, alexeyev, samuelsson, romanov, woo, wilde. wouldnt have hated any of those picks tbh. but none fell enough in the 2nd and we end up taking axel andersson, this draft like the 2016 draft wasnt a great draft beyond really pick 45.
2019: you lose to the blues in the stanley cup finals and then youre at the end of the draft. i personally loved hoglander that draft, i like how he plays, i thought he was a prototypical bruin, i also really thought they were going to take alex vlasic because of his size. going with beecher was a kind of out there pick similar to the frederic pick. they were going more off athleticism and not focusing so much on the skills aspect. traded your 2nd AGAIN really rest of the draft not super great there either league wide.
2020: this was a tough trade because you gave up a first for a young player in kase, who just couldnt stay healthy for you and the ducks also got a decent player out of it, perreault is a nice prospect. hated the lohrei pick at the time, love it now. i wanted hirvonen, niemela, or sokolov i thought the leafs really made out in that draft getting both niemela and hirvonen but lohrei and kuntar could definitely see real nhl minutes. Lohrei is a potential top pairing player rest of draft they just were picking high enough for it to matter, after savoie in the 4th not a whole lot left.
2021: by far their best draft. lysell was a top 10 talent that fell to you in the 20s. harrison in the 3rd round looks like a steal. i was hoping the bruins may have traded back up into the 2nd to grab raty where he fell to pick 52 but they didnt. landing harrisson fits their center mold they like but he seems like he can actually put the puck in the net, vs frederic and beecher kind of lack that ability. 2021 draft is too recent to really judge though same with 2020.

it was just a tough time to add additional pieces to develop while also contending when you are picking in the back half of the round every year for 5 years. some steals here and there but for the most part just tough drafts and even tougher player outcomes in terms of drafting.

bigger problem and ive said it many times and will continue to say it. is that jacobs cares more about revenues and the income from the playoffs than actually winning a cup. all you have to do is look back to the 2014/15/16/17 years and see how terrible our farm system was and still kind of is and see the dumb trades/signings we had to make to replace those players. signing backes because we didnt have a winger in the system, trading for stempniak and liles because backes and our depth didnt pan out. it really all stems from jacobs forcing playoff appearances when the team wasnt good enough to compete for a cup.

Don't excuse Sweeney for 2015. Zboril over Chabot I don't have a problem with. Just the way a draft can go sometimes. But the other two are inexcusable. As soon as they took DeBrusk the word was they were reaching and Senyshyn, that's disgraceful. Minutes after the three picks was my then 15 year old son was telling me Boston was going to regret not taking Conner and Barzal. Sometimes it's not rocket science.
Feb. 23, 2022 at 8:46 a.m.
Don't excuse Sweeney for 2015. Zboril over Chabot I don't have a problem with. Just the way a draft can go sometimes. But the other two are inexcusable. As soon as they took DeBrusk the word was they were reaching and Senyshyn, that's disgraceful. Minutes after the three picks was my then 15 year old son was telling me Boston was going to regret not taking Conner and Barzal. Sometimes it's not rocket science.

Debrusk wasnt that big of a reach, he was still graded as a first round talent. was he 14th ranked no. but he wasnt 70th either. senyshyn had 2 back to back 40 goal seasons in the ohl and the bruins keep trying to develop him defensively and make him a strong 2 way forward. hes a goal scorer.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll