Forums/Armchair-GM

Realistic Deadline

Created by: TrueCanuck
Team: 2021-22 Edmonton Oilers
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 20, 2022
Published: Feb. 20, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Still likely not getting past the 2nd round at best, but at least it shows the core that management is willing to try to make playoffs and not look at only future assets.
Trades
EDM
  1. Dell, Aaron
  2. Eakin, Cody
Additional Details:
Edmonton has been long rumoured to be looking to free some cap space up, and Koskinen’s name has frequently been in the rumour mill as the guy to go. After seeing Nick Ritchie moved for cap purposes and still bring in useful assets, the price would seem to be similar. Oilers add a useful depth centre with playoff experience to help them with a playoff push. They also add a depth goaltender in Dell in case of injuries down the stretch and is a guy that can easily run through the waiver wire if needed without worrying about being claimed.

For Buffalo, they rid themselves of 2 players with virtually no value and pick up a mid round pick in exchange for taking on the remainder of the season of Koskinen. The Sabres could use some goaltending depth due to injuries so it’s not at all unreasonable to see them interested in Koskinen.

Note: Koskinen’s remainder cap hit is $900K for this season and then a free agent, and Nick Ritchie’s is $500K this season and $2.5M next season. If the price for a Ritchie dump of 1 more season at $2.5M aav was a 3rd or a future 2nd, the price is Koskinen at $900K for less than half a season would be similar and nothing extravagant.

Note: don’t mention Koskinen’s M-NTC. Nobody here has any way of knowing who’s on that list or if Koskinen would waive to go there. Chill.
BUF
  1. Koskinen, Mikko
  2. 2023 3rd round pick (EDM)
EDM
  1. Korpisalo, Joonas ($1,400,000 retained)
Additional Details:
Oilers will need to add a goalie if they’re moving out Koskinen - Stuart Skinner really isn’t a viable NHL option right now if they’re looking for a deep playoff run. The Oilers have been connected to Korpisalo in the past and if the price is right I could see them looking at him again. He’s struggled this season so I don’t imagine the price is high given that and that’s he’s an impending UFA. Columbus has Elvis Merzlikins locked up long term so they’ll likely be looking at getting what they can for him. Although he’s struggled this season, he has a strong post-season history which should be intriguing to the Oilers, but because of the struggles I see a deal being made with 50% retention being necessary and not a deal breaker for Columbus.

The Jackets receive a mediocre prospect in Ostaf Safin and a future pick to help their rebuild process. Safin has good size and a decent offensive touch but just hasn’t been able to put it all together yet. A change of scenery and a new opportunity could be what he needs to jump start his career. If he does get going, he could be a great middle 6 option for Columbus.
CBJ
  1. Safin, Ostap
  2. 2023 4th round pick (EDM)
EDM
  1. Lauzon, Jérémy
Additional Details:
Edmonton can’t go through the deadline without addressing their biggest need - defensive depth. For that, they should look to Seattle and a young guy like Lauzon fits the bill. A big, physical, defenceman that will perfectly fit playoff style hockey and can play anywhere in the lineup will bring exactly what Edmonton needs.

For the Kraken, they’ll likely be looking mainly for picks to help build their franchise. A mid 2nd round pick is a good spot to start, and they also receive a 4th round pick for taking on the remainder of the year of Kyle Turris’ deal.
SEA
  1. Turris, Kyle
  2. 2022 2nd round pick (EDM)
  3. 2024 4th round pick (EDM)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$79,005,664$669,339$907,500$2,494,336

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$5,125,000$5,125,000
LW, C
NMC
UFA - 8
$12,500,000$12,500,000
C
UFA - 5
$1,175,000$1,175,000
RW
UFA - 1
$2,108,696$2,108,696
LW, RW
NMC
UFA - 1
$8,500,000$8,500,000
C, LW
UFA - 4
$1,175,000$1,175,000
RW
RFA - 1
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$834,167$834,167 (Performance Bonus$57,500$58K)
C
RFA - 1
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RW, LW
NMC
UFA - 7
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
$2,250,000$2,250,000
C
UFA - 1
$3,200,000$3,200,000
RW
UFA - 3
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,600,000$5,600,000
LD
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
RFA - 2
$2,200,000$2,200,000
G
UFA - 2
Logo of the Seattle Kraken
$850,000$850,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
UFA - 3
Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets
$1,400,000$1,400,000
G
UFA - 1
$5,538,462$5,538,462
LD
NMC
UFA - 2
$3,250,000$3,250,000
RD
UFA - 4
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$1,250,000$1,250,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$4,167,000$4,167,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$1,250,000$1,250,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$850,000$850,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 20, 2022 at 4:13 p.m.
Jackets probably hold onto korpi and loose him for nothing rather than take on a nothing prospect and a mid pick. Korpi is a good stop gap for tarasov who should start in the ahl this year.
Feb. 20, 2022 at 4:18 p.m.
Roster Architect
Quoting: The_Cannon
Jackets probably hold onto korpi and loose him for nothing rather than take on a nothing prospect and a mid pick. Korpi is a good stop gap for tarasov who should start in the ahl this year.

That seems like terrible asset management tbh. When you’re rebuilding, quantity of players/picks is key so you have competition to develop guys better. Not getting anything for a guy that you won’t be re-signing just sounds dumb.

If you want a stop gap for 19 games, just use Berube. Merzlikins is likely to play 13-15 of those games anyways so 4-6 games of Berube isn’t that big of a deal when the Jackets aren’t going to be in the playoff race anyways.
Feb. 20, 2022 at 4:28 p.m.
Quoting: TrueCanuck
That seems like terrible asset management tbh. When you’re rebuilding, quantity of players/picks is key so you have competition to develop guys better. Not getting anything for a guy that you won’t be re-signing just sounds dumb.

If you want a stop gap for 19 games, just use Berube. Merzlikins is likely to play 13-15 of those games anyways so 4-6 games of Berube isn’t that big of a deal when the Jackets aren’t going to be in the playoff race anyways.

Right but the assets we’d be getting for korpi. (Or at least in this trade) don’t add up to enough of a price to convince us to move him. While your right about using berube, I don’t think jarmo is afraid to hold onto a guy when he thinks he’s being lowballed. I believe the asking price is a second or a third and a decent prospect. Which safin isn’t. Jarmo should hold the line and wait for a team in goaltender trouble to overpay, at worst nobody bites and the league knows your not afraid to hold your ground.
Feb. 20, 2022 at 5:16 p.m.
Sabres decline
ZERO INTEREST in Koskinen- NONE

If we were looking to acquire someone’s Cap dump of a goalie,
we’d have done it when we had 4goalies injured
NOT when they’re getting healthy again

Maybe the pick makes it worth it?
But idk that we’d see a 3rd as a good enough reason to pay the remaining of Koskinen’s salary
My guess would be no

I do know we are willing to take on Cap dumps at the deadline,
but we want 1sts for doing so
I know we wouldn’t get that for taking on Koskinen,
so i don’t think this trade would happen
Feb. 20, 2022 at 5:37 p.m.
Roster Architect
Quoting: Buffalove
Sabres decline

But idk that we’d see a 3rd as a good enough reason to pay the remaining of Koskinen’s salary
My guess would be no

Take Koskinen, put him in the minors if they wanted. Or flip him with salary retained for more picks.

Relax it’s not the end of the world. The value is there to do it, it’s only $900K for the rest of the season at that point.
gretzkyghosts liked this.
Feb. 20, 2022 at 5:41 p.m.
Take Koskinen, put him in the minors if they wanted. Or flip him with salary retained for more picks.

Relax it’s not the end of the world. The value is there to do it, it’s only $900K for the rest of the season at that point.

That’s still almost a million dollars… and for what?
The Pegula’s aren’t spending $$$ right now unless it’s worth it?
I might do it
But idk that a 3rd convinces them to do so

And retaining half on Koskinen still wouldn’t get us anything for him in a flip- he’s garbage
I know- FOR A FACT- that when his name was brought up earlier this season, the discussion barely lasted long enough for there to be a resounding “no”
Feb. 20, 2022 at 5:51 p.m.
Roster Architect
That’s still almost a million dollars… and for what?
The Pegula’s aren’t spending $$$ right now unless it’s worth it?
I might do it
But idk that a 3rd convinces them to do so

And retaining half on Koskinen still wouldn’t get us anything for him in a flip- he’s garbage
I know- FOR A FACT- that when his name was brought up earlier this season, the discussion barely lasted long enough for there to be a resounding “no”

So now you work for the Sabres and were in the room when talks apparently happened? Nice.
Feb. 20, 2022 at 5:53 p.m.
So now you work for the Sabres and were in the room when talks apparently happened? Nice.

My friend was
If u don’t believe me, i don’t care

Common sense would tell you that we have no interest
Feb. 20, 2022 at 5:54 p.m.
Roster Architect
My friend was
If u don’t believe me, i don’t care

Common sense would tell you that we have no interest

Cool story bro
Feb. 20, 2022 at 6:01 p.m.
Cool story bro

Bad trade bro
Feb. 20, 2022 at 6:08 p.m.
I would do Korpi half retained for koskinen and a 2nd. It’s not worth dumping him for late pick would rather just hold onto him if that’s the return
Feb. 20, 2022 at 9:10 p.m.
Hit them with a toey
Sabres decline

My guess would be no

I think we would. Eakin & Dell are pretty bad, and Koskinen is up at the end of the year. Your essentially trading for a 3rd, and in return giving away nothing of valuable. That personally sounds good to me.
TrueCanuck and gretzkyghosts liked this.
Feb. 20, 2022 at 10:14 p.m.
Quoting: TagesMissedShots
I think we would. Eakin & Dell are pretty bad, and Koskinen is up at the end of the year. Your essentially trading for a 3rd, and in return giving away nothing of valuable. That personally sounds good to me.

Idk
Like i said, I might do it
But idk that a 3rd is enough to convince the Pegulas to spend the $$$ on him
Feb. 21, 2022 at 9:08 a.m.
Cool story bro
Do not bother with him.
I once told him he was right, yet he sent me a long reply to tell me how I was wrong?
Quoting: TagesMissedShots
Eakin has some value as he wins about 56% of his FO.
Mikko would certainly be an upgrade over Aaron and as stated maybe if Jason had a team lined up to take Mikko at half price, then it becomes a no brainer yes from Buffalo.
I could see Karmanos accepting this deal even if Mikko was only used as a back up.
GMTD liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll