RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,750,000
3$2,700,000
Trades
MIN
  1. Necas, Martin [RFA Rights]
  2. Skjei, Brady
Additional Details:
I DON'T THINK CAROLINA IS MOVING ON FROM NECAS. I AM AWARE THAT WADDELL HAS SAID IN THE PAST THAT HE IS NOT MOVING HIM.

That being said, it definitely seems like he hasn't taken the step forward that everyone was expecting and with Jarvis playing as well as he as and Kotkaniemi likely filling the 2C slot next year, perhaps Necas is more expendable than he once was? Skjei doesn't play the most physical game, and we could use a more physical player, but the Wild sure could use his size, skating, and puck moving ability on the blue line. He is more included for cap purposes since I do think he's a bit overpaid but he's still a solid player and would fill in a need for us in the top 4.
CAR
  1. Fiala, Kevin [RFA Rights]
  2. Peart, Jack [Reserve List]
Additional Details:
Assumes Fiala comes with a long-term deal.
Carolina's choice of Peart, O'Rourke, or Hunt.

Fiala is a top line winger when he is given talented linemates (26 points in 19 games when Eric Staal was his center in the 19-20 bubble season and he now has 27 points in 22 games since Boldy has joined him on his line). His problem has been that we just haven't given him talented linemates during nearly his entire Wild tenure. His most commons linemates were Marcus Johansson, Victor Rask, Freddy Gaudreau, and the shells of Koivu and Parise. Really do not want us to trade him but if he wants $7M+ (which he is absolutely worth), I don't see how we can keep him. It sure would sting, but I think he could be incredible for Carolina. Peart is a promising player but we have so many solid LD prospects that we can afford to move one.
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
21$82,500,000$81,299,421$0$1,532,500$1,200,579
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Minnesota Wild
$9,000,000$9,000,000
LW
UFA - 4
$1,700,000$1,700,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RW, LW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$880,833$880,833 (Performance Bonus$600,000$600K)
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$2,700,000$2,700,000
RW
RFA - 2
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
C
RFA - 3
$3,100,000$3,100,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
LW, C
RFA - 1
$5,250,000$5,250,000
C
UFA - 7
$750,000$750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$1,200,000$1,200,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 6
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$3,666,667$3,666,667
G
UFA - 1
Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes
$5,250,000$5,250,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$7,575,000$7,575,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 5
$1,125,000$1,125,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$795,000$795,000 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
RD
RFA - 1
$1,750,000$1,750,000
G
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$1,200,000$1,200,000
LD
UFA - 3

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Mar. 7, 2022 at 10:03 a.m.
I like the idea of Skjei as a partner for Spurg. Cost is better than we could get elsewhere and the term is nice. IDK if they want to move him? He’s a decent sized cap hit and maybe that’s incentive for CAR to move him? Add in some other pieces and that makes some sense.
TanSor liked this.
Mar. 7, 2022 at 10:04 a.m.
Quoting: jnowariak
I like the idea of Skjei as a partner for Spurg. Cost is better than we could get elsewhere and the term is nice. IDK if they want to move him? He’s a decent sized cap hit and maybe that’s incentive for CAR to move him? Add in some other pieces and that makes some sense.

Whoops I flubbed the defenseman pairings. Meant to put him with Spurgeon. Yeah this is more the base of a deal, feels like Carolina might want more given how highly Necas is regarded. Just not sure what we'd be adding.
jnowariak liked this.
Mar. 7, 2022 at 10:05 a.m.
Josh Anderson Sucks
IF Necas does get moved, its pretty fair value. I just can't see it. But if the reports of the Canes wanting to sign Kotkaniemi to 8 years is true, then I could very well see it. Fiala to the 2LW spot would be insane
TanSor and jnowariak liked this.
Mar. 7, 2022 at 10:14 a.m.
Lets Get Kraken
It really depends if this were to be done in the off-season or not. If not, and it’s a deadline move, absolutely not. Chychrun would be an upgrade over Skjei, but that could only happen if they are willing to play ball. Canes payed a first for Skjei, and that was when his play was down in the dumps. Now that his play has gotten so much better, you could argue he is worth 2 firsts equivalents and a mid round pick. At that point, it could just be Skjei for Fiala with picks to balance it out. A good comparable for this trade could be the Larsson/Hall trade. Necas would require a lot more to the trade, with pieces that Minny would absolutely not want to give up.
jnowariak and TanSor liked this.
Mar. 7, 2022 at 10:15 a.m.
Quoting: TanSor
Whoops I flubbed the defenseman pairings. Meant to put him with Spurgeon. Yeah this is more the base of a deal, feels like Carolina might want more given how highly Necas is regarded. Just not sure what we'd be adding.

I don’t see Necas moving, I think it’s probably worth thinking that way too. Let’s say the base of the deal is Fiala for Skjei and Suzuki. Does CAR need to add there?

You’ve got to get a young forward in any Fiala deal IMO.
TanSor liked this.
Mar. 7, 2022 at 10:17 a.m.
Quoting: evelutions2
It really depends if this were to be done in the off-season or not. If not, and it’s a deadline move, absolutely not. Chychrun would be an upgrade over Skjei, but that could only happen if they are willing to play ball. Canes payed a first for Skjei, and that was when his play was down in the dumps. Now that his play has gotten so much better, you could argue he is worth 2 firsts equivalents and a mid round pick. At that point, it could just be Skjei for Fiala with picks to balance it out. A good comparable for this trade could be the Larsson/Hall trade. Necas would require a lot more to the trade, with pieces that Minny would absolutely not want to give up.

I’m not sure the Hall for Larsson trade is a reasonable comp for anything other than highway robbery. But I do agree with you that Skjei is valuable.
evelutions2, TanSor and MNBassman liked this.
Mar. 7, 2022 at 10:19 a.m.
Quoting: evelutions2

This is an offseason move. I don't think any GM is dumb enough to repeat the Hall/Larsson trade. But I hear you, Skjei has been solid in Carolina.
evelutions2 liked this.
Mar. 7, 2022 at 10:23 a.m.
KFTW
Quoting: jnowariak

That’s a lot of cap youre adding tho
TanSor, jnowariak and MNBassman liked this.
Mar. 7, 2022 at 10:27 a.m.
Quoting: csick

Correct. But if you manage to replace Fiala with Skjei and an ELC, that’s not the worst thing in the world. I think you can make it through next year with him and then get to decide what happens to Dumba. And once Skjei is up, you need to rely on Brods and Lambos to be your top 4 guys.

Agreed, it’s not perfect. But it’s a decent idea to think about.
TanSor, csick and MNBassman liked this.
Mar. 7, 2022 at 10:28 a.m.

It is, but if Fiala is the piece being moved and we also get another cheap, talented forward to play on the roster in addition to Skjei then we can afford it. Fiala at $7M+ is a difficult pill to swallow since it also gives us a hole in our top 4 (I don't think we're re-signing Goligoski), but if we acquired Skjei and a player like Necas (or more likely Suzuki), that fills 2 holes on our roster for around $7M (give or take $1M or so). The cap is definitely tight, but I think we could make it work.
jnowariak liked this.
Mar. 7, 2022 at 10:30 a.m.
KFTW
It is, but if Fiala is the piece being moved and we also get another cheap, talented forward to play on the roster in addition to Skjei then we can afford it. Fiala at $7M+ is a difficult pill to swallow since it also gives us a hole in our top 4 (I don't think we're re-signing Goligoski), but if we acquired Skjei and a player like Necas (or more likely Suzuki), that fills 2 holes on our roster for around $7M (give or take $1M or so). The cap is definitely tight, but I think we could make it work.

I can’t see Necas getting less than 4.5 on a bridge or less than 6 mill on a 5-6 year deal
jnowariak and MNBassman liked this.
Mar. 7, 2022 at 10:37 a.m.
I can’t see Necas getting less than 4.5 on a bridge or less than 6 mill on a 5-6 year deal

He's only on pace for 45 points this season, what warrants 4.5 on a bridge deal? Greenway was on a near identical pace last season and just signed for 3x3, I imagine Waddell (or Guerin in this scenario) would point at the Greenway contract for Necas. Necas has also been given time with a much more offensively gifted center then Greenway.
Mar. 7, 2022 at 10:50 a.m.
MNBassman
@csick beat me to it. I just can’t imagine Necas signing a bridge for that little. IF he would…this is a complete no-brainer for the Wild…and an, “I’ll have to think about it” for the Canes.
Mar. 7, 2022 at 10:57 a.m.
Quoting: MNBassman
csick beat me to it. I just can’t imagine Necas signing a bridge for that little. IF he would…this is a complete no-brainer for the Wild…and an, “I’ll have to think about it” for the Canes.

But what warrants much more than what Greenway got on a bridge? Greenway had nearly identical point production last season to the pace Necas is on this season, and Necas has been given better linemates. Necas is a year younger than Greenway was last season and I know points aren't everything, but I still think Waddell will point to that 3x3 contract in negotiations.
Mar. 7, 2022 at 11:10 a.m.
Yeah, I think this is a firm no. Necas is only 22. Fiala didn't take that next step in his career until he was 23/24. Buying low on a Necas bridge is WAY better of an idea than moving him for Fiala. Skjei could be on the move to Minnesota, and some Wild fans like that. Carolina is rumored to be looking at moving him. But Necas is just a no. For Necas to go the other way, you're going to be coughing up some prospects and picks you really don't want to. Either Boldy+++ or like Necas as the centerpiece of a package for Krill. Either way, I think that's a no.
Mar. 7, 2022 at 12:10 p.m.
I’m not here for value. What is the thought of moving Fiala for Necas and Skjei? I thought Merrill was doing really well. Plus y’all need cap space.
TanSor liked this.
Mar. 7, 2022 at 12:32 p.m.
Quoting: ecupirate07
I’m not here for value. What is the thought of moving Fiala for Necas and Skjei? I thought Merrill was doing really well. Plus y’all need cap space.

Merrill is playing well, but he doesn't belong in the top 4 and I don't think we'll re-sign Goligoski so we will need a D partner for Spurgeon next year. The idea is that we also probably can't afford Fiala at the $7M+ contract I think he deserves, especially with that hole on the blue line, but if we move him we'd ideally need a young, cheapish forward coming back given how talented Fiala is and subtracting him would be a big hit to our offensive production. We need a LD that is big, physical, skates well, and can move the puck and Skjei ticks all of those boxes other than maybe the physical one. His contract is a bit too much in my opinion, but it's probably quite a bit better than what we could find in free agency if we just moved Fiala for futures. Necas is having a bit of a down year, but there's a lot of talent there and I've always felt he has the toolkit to play center (which we desperately need, even with Rossi in the pipeline) and even if his production is 60-75% of what Fiala brought, we still have Rossi to help make up for losing Fiala. Even if Necas didn't stick at center, then that's fine because, well, we just traded away a winger and we could use another right shot forward in the top 6.

Basically it comes down to this:
We have a hole on the blue line next season and can't afford to fill that hole in addition to paying Fiala, so moving Fiala to fill that hole and not destroy our offense by getting a young, cheap player while the total of those two player's cap hits are around what we'd have to pay for Fiala is arguably better than just paying Fiala.
Mar. 7, 2022 at 12:50 p.m.
Merrill is playing well, but he doesn't belong in the top 4 and I don't think we'll re-sign Goligoski so we will need a D partner for Spurgeon next year. The idea is that we also probably can't afford Fiala at the $7M+ contract I think he deserves, especially with that hole on the blue line, but if we move him we'd ideally need a young, cheapish forward coming back given how talented Fiala is and subtracting him would be a big hit to our offensive production. We need a LD that is big, physical, skates well, and can move the puck and Skjei ticks all of those boxes other than maybe the physical one. His contract is a bit too much in my opinion, but it's probably quite a bit better than what we could find in free agency if we just moved Fiala for futures. Necas is having a bit of a down year, but there's a lot of talent there and I've always felt he has the toolkit to play center (which we desperately need, even with Rossi in the pipeline) and even if his production is 60-75% of what Fiala brought, we still have Rossi to help make up for losing Fiala. Even if Necas didn't stick at center, then that's fine because, well, we just traded away a winger and we could use another right shot forward in the top 6.

Basically it comes down to this:
We have a hole on the blue line next season and can't afford to fill that hole in addition to paying Fiala, so moving Fiala to fill that hole and not destroy our offense by getting a young, cheap player while the total of those two player's cap hits are around what we'd have to pay for Fiala is arguably better than just paying Fiala.

All fair points. What about offer sheeting a guy like Hague from Vegas at 4 million a year? Kulikov in the top 4?

If not, what about adding one of Merrill or Kulikov to the trade, subtracting Peart, to give you the cap space needed to bridge Necas?
TanSor liked this.
Mar. 7, 2022 at 1:10 p.m.
Quoting: ecupirate07
All fair points. What about offer sheeting a guy like Hague from Vegas at 4 million a year? Kulikov in the top 4?

If not, what about adding one of Merrill or Kulikov to the trade, subtracting Peart, to give you the cap space needed to bridge Necas?

Hague is intriguing although I don't know what young forward Vegas could give us that fills that need since trading Fiala would more be about getting a talented young forward and a stop-gap LD in our top 4 while Lambos develops than getting a long-term solution in the top 4 and a stop-gap forward. At one time Vegas had a lot of good young forwards (Suzuki, Glass, and Krebs), but that is no longer really the case. I also don't see any way Vegas can afford to extend Fiala, so the fit there isn't great.

As for Merrill or Kulikov, I would be surprised if we traded Merrill since he was just extended to a 3 year deal about a month or two ago. I don't mind moving Merrill, but it would just surprise me if we did. I'm fine with moving Kulikov, but he definitely doesn't have the value that Peart does.
Mar. 7, 2022 at 3:00 p.m.
What is the offer for Necas and Skjei with Fiala and Kulikov coming back?
Mar. 7, 2022 at 5:45 p.m.
MNBassman
But what warrants much more than what Greenway got on a bridge? Greenway had nearly identical point production last season to the pace Necas is on this season, and Necas has been given better linemates. Necas is a year younger than Greenway was last season and I know points aren't everything, but I still think Waddell will point to that 3x3 contract in negotiations.

It takes about 5 seconds to see how Necas’ ceiling is a mile higher than Greenway’s!
TanSor liked this.
Mar. 7, 2022 at 5:46 p.m.
MNBassman
Quoting: Caniac2000
Yeah, I think this is a firm no. Necas is only 22. Fiala didn't take that next step in his career until he was 23/24. Buying low on a Necas bridge is WAY better of an idea than moving him for Fiala. Skjei could be on the move to Minnesota, and some Wild fans like that. Carolina is rumored to be looking at moving him. But Necas is just a no. For Necas to go the other way, you're going to be coughing up some prospects and picks you really don't want to. Either Boldy+++ or like Necas as the centerpiece of a package for Krill. Either way, I think that's a no.

That’s because Fiala had a horrible leg break to recover from!
TanSor liked this.
Mar. 7, 2022 at 8:14 p.m.
It takes about 5 seconds to see how Necas’ ceiling is a mile higher than Greenway’s!

You are absolutely right, but if you're the GM you are pointing to comparables and Greenway's is pretty close. Necas also regressed quite a bit this year, so that's something to consider. Obviously the player and agent will try to get more, but ultimately I'd be pretty surprised if he's signed to a bridge deal over $4M.
MNBassman liked this.
Mar. 7, 2022 at 8:40 p.m.
That’s because Fiala had a horrible leg break to recover from!

Injuries happen, freak or not. It's a contact sport... if you play in this league for a long time, odds are you're going to suffer a broken bone or multiple.
Mar. 7, 2022 at 11:21 p.m.
MNBassman
Quoting: Caniac2000
Injuries happen, freak or not. It's a contact sport... if you play in this league for a long time, odds are you're going to suffer a broken bone or multiple.

That’s not my point at all…
TanSor liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll