Forums/Armchair-GM

Making it closer to the playoffs

Created by: Kyle_Davidson
Team: 2022-23 Chicago Blackhawks
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 19, 2022
Published: Apr. 19, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
The function of this post is to see if there is any possible way that this team could make the playoffs next year without making moves that contradict the rebuild. I would argue that this post accomplishes that goal in the aspect that non of the moves should be seen as out of the ordinary for a team rebuilding but I’m not sure how close this roster is to the playoffs. If you ask me, if a lot of young guys step up and have breakout years then this team is at the very least close to the wild card near the deadline.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
4$4,000,000
3$2,500,000
2$1,000,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$4,000,000
1$900,000
Trades
CHI
  1. Dadonov, Evgeni
  2. 2023 3rd round pick (BUF)
  3. 2024 4th round pick (VGK)
VGK
    Dadonov is a cap dump candidate. A rebuilding team makes this move because they are getting immediate assets in the draft picks while also having the potential to flip Dadonov if he does well in Chicago.
    CHI
    1. Bailey, Josh
    2. 2022 2nd round pick (COL)
    3. 2023 2nd round pick (NYI)
    NYI
    1. 2022 7th round pick (CHI)
    Additional Details:
    A similar idea to Dadonov, this contract has the extra year so it’s going to be more costly to move.
    CHI
    1. 2022 2nd round pick (PIT)
    2. 2022 4th round pick (ANA)
    ANA
    1. Jones, Caleb [RFA Rights]
    2. Kubalik, Dominik [RFA Rights]
    Recapture Fees
    Buried
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the MIN
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the VGK
    Logo of the ANA
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the CBJ
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the TBL
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the TBL
    Logo of the NYI
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the TBL
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the VGK
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the CGY
    Logo of the CHI
    Logo of the CHI
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    22$82,500,000$75,835,128$237,500$1,307,500$6,664,872
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
    $6,400,000$6,400,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $4,000,000$4,000,000
    C
    UFA - 1
    $2,625,000$2,625,000
    RW
    NMC
    UFA - 1
    Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights
    $2,500,000$2,500,000
    RW, LW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $10,500,000$10,500,000
    C
    NMC
    UFA - 1
    $2,500,000$2,500,000
    C, RW
    RFA - 4
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
    LW, C
    RFA - 2
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    RW, C, LW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $758,333$758,333
    RW
    RFA - 2
    $758,333$758,333
    LW
    RFA - 2
    $1,000,000$1,000,000
    LW, C, RW
    RFA - 1
    Logo of the New York Islanders
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    RW, LW, C
    UFA - 2
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $2,000,000$2,000,000
    LD/RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 3
    $9,500,000$9,500,000
    RD
    NMC
    UFA - 8
    $1,350,000$1,350,000
    LD
    RFA - 2
    $4,400,000$4,400,000
    RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 4
    $867,500$867,500 (Performance Bonus$32,500$32K)
    LD
    UFA - 1
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
    RD
    RFA - 1
    $4,000,000$4,000,000
    G
    UFA - 3
    $900,000$900,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $800,000$800,000
    RW, C
    RFA - 2
    $975,000$975,000
    LW, C
    UFA - 1
    Taxi Squad
    $866,667$866,667 ($0$0$0$0)
    RD
    RFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Apr. 19, 2022 at 11:52 a.m.
    I would maybe do a 4th for Kubalik but I wouldn't be happy sending anything more
    Apr. 19, 2022 at 12:05 p.m.
    TheRealKyleDavidson
    An idea for the Blackhawks is that if they get to keep this year's pick, then they draft wright or slaf, and then in 2023 the tank wouldn't matter since they don't have a pick. Since the tank doesn't matter the hawks should pick up these bad contracts like bailey and Dadonov since their record would improve, which wouldn't matter since they don't have a 2023 pick. I hope I'm explaining this idea correctly since Bailey and Dadonov can also be dealt at the deadline for picks. The Tank can then start up again in 2024. This GM team would be perfect only if we kept our 2022 pick. Again, I'm not sure if this was typed correctly or made sense but let me know.
    Kyle_Davidson and GMtommyhawk liked this.
    Apr. 19, 2022 at 1:24 p.m.
    Kyle from Chicago
    Quoting: Rhehdbdbd
    An idea for the Blackhawks is that if they get to keep this year's pick, then they draft wright or slaf, and then in 2023 the tank wouldn't matter since they don't have a pick. Since the tank doesn't matter the hawks should pick up these bad contracts like bailey and Dadonov since their record would improve, which wouldn't matter since they don't have a 2023 pick. I hope I'm explaining this idea correctly since Bailey and Dadonov can also be dealt at the deadline for picks. The Tank can then start up again in 2024. This GM team would be perfect only if we kept our 2022 pick. Again, I'm not sure if this was typed correctly or made sense but let me know.

It totally made sense, and I agree that this would be make the most sense for the Blackhawks IF they won the lottery this year.
    Apr. 19, 2022 at 1:40 p.m.
    Kyle from Chicago
    Quoting: GeneralLandro
    I would maybe do a 4th for Kubalik but I wouldn't be happy sending anything more

I feel like any other Interested parties would beat that offer. Heck, might be better for the hawks to hold onto him.
    Apr. 19, 2022 at 2:24 p.m.
    Quoting: Kyle_Davidson
    I feel like any other Interested parties would beat that offer. Heck, might be better for the hawks to hold onto him.

Fine with me. We have a plethora of LWers and lefty centers as well coming up
    Apr. 19, 2022 at 2:24 p.m.
    Isles tell you to f*** off
    Apr. 19, 2022 at 3:40 p.m.
    Kyle from Chicago
    Quoting: Islesforthecup
    Isles tell you to f*** off

If the Laad trade is any indication of how they feel about cap dumps I have to disagree.
    Apr. 19, 2022 at 3:44 p.m.
    If the Laad trade is any indication of how they feel about cap dumps I have to disagree.

Ladd played a grand total of 4 games for NYI in the 2 years before he got traded. Bailey is on pace for over 45 points this season and was on pace for 50 the previous 5 seasons. If youre comparing bailey to ladd there are bigger problems than just a bad trade.
    Apr. 19, 2022 at 4:12 p.m.
    Kyle from Chicago
    Ladd played a grand total of 4 games for NYI in the 2 years before he got traded. Bailey is on pace for over 45 points this season and was on pace for 50 the previous 5 seasons. If youre comparing bailey to ladd there are bigger problems than just a bad trade.

He is also 33 and has two years left on his contract at 5AAV. If the islanders want to move that contract for cap space then they would have to give up assets of a similar magnitude to the Laad contract.
    Apr. 19, 2022 at 4:29 p.m.
    we miss leo k
    He is also 33 and has two years left on his contract at 5AAV. If the islanders want to move that contract for cap space then they would have to give up assets of a similar magnitude to the Laad contract.

They don't need the cap space this offseason - they've got $12M+ in cap space this summer, with 13 forwards already under NHL contract for next year. All they have to do is re-sign Noah Dobson and shore up LD, which should cost them about $7-8M of that cap. And if they decided they desperately needed more cap space for something, they're not going to need to attach assets to Bailey to move him. He's an offensive-minded forward who can be an asset on the power play, has tons of playoff experience, and is obviously considered a locker room leader since he's had the "A" for 4 seasons now.

And even if they had no choice but to dump him - Andrew Ladd had played a grand total of 4 NHL games in the 2 seasons prior to the Isles dumping his cap, and he cost two 2nd rounders. There is absolutely no world where a player with a lower cap hit who has *actually* played at a decent level would cost the same. If (and this is an ENORMOUS "if") the Isles had to dump Bailey, the best Chicago could get would be similar to what Philly gave up to move out Shayne Gostisbehere's 2x$4.5M last summer.
    Apr. 19, 2022 at 7:02 p.m.
    Interim Avian GM

This please. Wright + Kiviharju would be a godsend.
    Apr. 20, 2022 at 2:38 a.m.

In what world are you living in?
    Apr. 20, 2022 at 2:39 a.m.
    Quoting: dannibalcorpse
    They don't need the cap space this offseason - they've got $12M+ in cap space this summer, with 13 forwards already under NHL contract for next year. All they have to do is re-sign Noah Dobson and shore up LD, which should cost them about $7-8M of that cap. And if they decided they desperately needed more cap space for something, they're not going to need to attach assets to Bailey to move him. He's an offensive-minded forward who can be an asset on the power play, has tons of playoff experience, and is obviously considered a locker room leader since he's had the "A" for 4 seasons now.

And even if they had no choice but to dump him - Andrew Ladd had played a grand total of 4 NHL games in the 2 seasons prior to the Isles dumping his cap, and he cost two 2nd rounders. There is absolutely no world where a player with a lower cap hit who has *actually* played at a decent level would cost the same. If (and this is an ENORMOUS "if") the Isles had to dump Bailey, the best Chicago could get would be similar to what Philly gave up to move out Shayne Gostisbehere's 2x$4.5M last summer.

Travis hamonic just got a 3rd rounder for the simple fact that hes over 30yo. Bailey isnt going to require attached assets to move.
    Apr. 20, 2022 at 9:52 a.m.
    Kyle from Chicago
    Travis hamonic just got a 3rd rounder for the simple fact that hes over 30yo. Bailey isnt going to require attached assets to move.

Either he’s staying or you are paying to move him. No contender can fit that contract. No up and coming team wants that contract for two years. If he stays in NYI that’s fine.
    Apr. 20, 2022 at 2:00 p.m.
    Either he’s staying or you are paying to move him. No contender can fit that contract. No up and coming team wants that contract for two years. If he stays in NYI that’s fine.

So 1st of all i doubt that but even so comparing him to ladd is asinine
    Apr. 20, 2022 at 2:36 p.m.
    TheRealKyleDavidson

Bro the Isles need more cap space than that. They had an awful year and their chance to win the cup shrinks each year. They need to do a lot more than have 4 million in cap space and sign a decent play in FA to get back into contention. The only way they can do that is by freeing cap space for a big move, which a big move is the only thing that can save your franchise right now.
    Apr. 20, 2022 at 3:27 p.m.
    we miss leo k
    Bro the Isles need more cap space than that. They had an awful year and their chance to win the cup shrinks each year. They need to do a lot more than have 4 million in cap space and sign a decent play in FA to get back into contention. The only way they can do that is by freeing cap space for a big move, which a big move is the only thing that can save your franchise right now.

Bro the Isles' "awful year" started with a 13 game road trip and then playing 4 games with guys like Andy Andreoff playing big minutes because the Isles & the Senators were the only teams forced to play multiple games through COVID outbreaks in November. Since they came back from that they're playing at a 97 point pace despite the fact that their last 50 games of the year were squeezed into 98 days - literally three straight months of every other night, playoff-style scheduling. The only goalie in the entire league having a better season than Ilya Sorokin is the guy across town that's having a literal history-making season that's getting Hart Trophy talk.

Miss me with that fair weather, front-running "a big move is the only thing that can save your franchise right now" trash.
    Apr. 20, 2022 at 3:39 p.m.
    TheRealKyleDavidson
    Bro the Isles' "awful year" started with a 13 game road trip and then playing 4 games with guys like Andy Andreoff playing big minutes because the Isles & the Senators were the only teams forced to play multiple games through COVID outbreaks in November. Since they came back from that they're playing at a 97 point pace despite the fact that their last 50 games of the year were squeezed into 98 days - literally three straight months of every other night, playoff-style scheduling. The only goalie in the entire league having a better season than Ilya Sorokin is the guy across town that's having a literal history-making season that's getting Hart Trophy talk.

Miss me with that fair weather, front-running "a big move is the only thing that can save your franchise right now" trash.

Every team in the league had issues with covid
    Apr. 20, 2022 at 4:30 p.m.
    we miss leo k
    Every team in the league had issues with covid

name me literally *any* team other than the Isles or Sens that played multiple games missing 6-8 regular skaters. trick question: you can' t because after the embarrassment of Ottawa & the Isles having to field half their AHL teams, the NHL started postponing games where teams had multiple COVID positives. So no, every team in the league did not have the same issues with COVID that the Isles & Sens did.

Also, just to take a different tack - what "big move" could the Isles even make this offseason that would need them to drop Josh Bailey's cap? The biggest names out there are Filip Forsberg & Johnny Gaudreau - both guys are probably going to sign in the $9-10M AAV range. Even if the Islanders signed one of those guys at $10M, they'd still have ~$2.5M for Dobson's raise - maybe you sign him to a bridge contract instead of a long-term deal with that money now. And they still have legitimate trade chips in Semyon Varlamov & (maybe) Anthony Beauvillier, guys that can be moved in "hockey trades" where the Islanders can take back less cap and still not have to move Bailey. And that's even ignoring the fact that Josh Bailey is most definitely not a player that needs to become a cap dump.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll