Forums/Armchair-GM

Big Moves To Make

Created by: KingExLeafs
Team: 2022-23 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: May 21, 2022
Published: May 21, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Reunite Tavares with Bailey, who put up career numbers when JT was his center. Give them a veteran power forward to dig out pucks and be a physical presence. And get not just a goalie, but a difference maker, a Vezina finalist/winner.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$1,750,000
1$1,750,000
1$1,500,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$1,500,000
2$2,000,000
3$950,000
Trades
TOR
  1. Bailey, Josh
  2. 2022 2nd round pick (COL)
TOR
  1. 2023 5th round pick (CBJ)
TOR
  1. 2023 4th round pick (ARI)
ARI
  1. Mrázek, Petr
  2. 2022 3rd round pick (WPG)
  3. 2023 3rd round pick (TOR)
TOR
  1. Hellebuyck, Connor
  2. Wheeler, Blake ($1,250,000 retained)
WPG
  1. Knies, Matthew [Reserve List]
  2. Nylander, William
  3. 2022 1st round pick (TOR)
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the COL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the ARI
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
20$81,500,000$81,484,084$212,500$0$15,916
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$950,000$950,000
LW
UFA - 1
$11,640,250$11,640,250
C
UFA - 2
$10,903,000$10,903,000
RW
UFA - 3
Logo of the New York Islanders
$5,000,000$5,000,000
RW, LW, C
UFA - 2
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 3
Logo of the Winnipeg Jets
$7,000,000$7,000,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
C
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
C, LW
UFA
$827,500$827,500
C, LW
RFA - 1
$834,167$834,167
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
RW
RFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,500,000$7,500,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 8
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
NTC
UFA - 2
Logo of the Winnipeg Jets
$6,166,667$6,166,667
G
UFA - 2
Logo of the Seattle Kraken
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$1,750,000$1,750,000
LD
UFA - 2
$950,000$950,000
G
UFA - 2
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LD
UFA - 2
$1,750,000$1,750,000
RD
RFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 21, 2022 at 6:13 p.m.
Only team that says no is Wpg. I think Comrie needs more money he was a great backup G this season. I think overall it’s a really good post
May 21, 2022 at 6:13 p.m.
Shaf_daddy
The problem I have with moving Kerfoot is this team is EXTREMELY thin if an injury in the top 6 happens. Idk why you people undervalue Kerfoot or depth. You're relying on Engvall or Larsson to jump up into the top 6? Seems like a 1st round sweep. There is no depth on this team if 1 or 2 injuries happen to the top 6.

Comrie is probably looking at 2 million.

I do like the idea of getting Hellebuyck, but you can do better with the money on Wheeler in the FA market. Especially if you keep Kerfoot and subtract Bailey.
May 21, 2022 at 6:15 p.m.
Shaf_daddy
Quoting: KPM12
Only team that says no is Wpg. I think Comrie needs more money he was a great backup G this season. I think overall it’s a really good post

If this team has 1 injury happen in the top 6, god forbid 2, they aren't making the playoffs lol
May 21, 2022 at 6:17 p.m.
Quoting: shaf_daddy
If this team has 1 injury happen in the top 6, god forbid 2, they aren't making the playoffs lol

They do need 2 maybe 3 rostered nhl players added so that means more moves would have to be made which I didn’t realize prior
shaf_daddy liked this.
May 21, 2022 at 6:19 p.m.
Seiders on the Storm
I think you made the Leafs worse. You upgraded the goaltending at least.
shaf_daddy liked this.
May 21, 2022 at 6:20 p.m.
The problem I have with moving Kerfoot is this team is EXTREMELY thin if an injury in the top 6 happens. Idk why you people undervalue Kerfoot or depth. You're relying on Engvall or Larsson to jump up into the top 6? Seems like a 1st round sweep. There is no depth on this team if 1 or 2 injuries happen to the top 6.

I do like the idea of getting Hellebuyck, but you can do better with the money on Wheeler in the FA market. Especially if you keep Kerfoot and subtract Bailey.

Kerfoot should've been cut from the team after game six. He made two costly mistakes in a series clinching game. Plus he doesn't hit anybody.
May 21, 2022 at 6:24 p.m.
Shaf_daddy
Quoting: KingExLeafs
Kerfoot should've been cut from the team after game six. He made two costly mistakes in a series clinching game. Plus he doesn't hit anybody.

If the Leafs "cut" everyone who made costly mistakes in the playoffs over the years, Matthews, Marner, Willy, JT, Rielly, and LITERALLY EVERYBODY would be gone from this team. That's your argument? lol
May 21, 2022 at 6:29 p.m.
that islanders trade is terrible for the leafs and what 32 year old Josh Bailey did 5 years ago when he was in his prime means nothing
also it would cost the jets a ton to offload wheeler's contract
May 21, 2022 at 6:29 p.m.
If the Leafs "cut" everyone who made costly mistakes in the playoffs over the years, Matthews, Marner, Willy, JT, Rielly, and LITERALLY EVERYBODY would be gone from this team. That's your argument? lol

buddy probably thinks nylander needs to go for that one missed hit despite literally every single part of the series other than that
shaf_daddy liked this.
May 21, 2022 at 6:30 p.m.

Stars can make mistakes. They can get away with it. But role players and bottom six guys like Kerfoot and Clifford have to play smart and not take dumb penalties in the playoffs. Kerfoot was dumb twice, in the same game. Trading him is obvious at this point.
May 21, 2022 at 6:34 p.m.
Quoting: JaredOfLondon
buddy probably thinks nylander needs to go for that one missed hit despite literally every single part of the series other than that

No he needs to go because the Tavares contract isn't tradeable. It's purely for cap reasons. He's the most valuable contract on the team. Otherwise I would love Nylander to stay on the Leafs.
May 21, 2022 at 6:38 p.m.
Shaf_daddy
Stars can make mistakes. They can get away with it. But role players and bottom six guys like Kerfoot and Clifford have to play smart and not take dumb penalties in the playoffs. Kerfoot was dumb twice, in the same game. Trading him is obvious at this point.

So, your solution to making a mistake is putting together a team that has LITERALLY ZERO DEPTH? Yes, that's the solution. That will work MUCH better. Brilliant.
May 21, 2022 at 6:41 p.m.
So, your solution to making a mistake is putting together a team that has LITERALLY ZERO DEPTH? Yes, that's the solution. That will work MUCH better. Brilliant.

It's not like the depth showed up in the playoffs this year so what's your point? Bring the band back together? And because of the Leafs' cap situation, the team is bound to have three or four forwards making league min. Spezza and Simmonds can't cut it anymore, they're too slow. Dubas will have to go bargain shopping again.
May 21, 2022 at 6:49 p.m.
Shaf_daddy
It's not like the depth showed up in the playoffs this year so what's your point? Bring the band back together? And because of the Leafs' cap situation, the team is bound to have three or four forwards making league min. Spezza and Simmonds can't cut it anymore, they're too slow. Dubas will have to go bargain shopping again.

I agree Holmberg, Anderson, and Steeves are probably up at some point this season. But you don't have any depth because of your trades. No one on that 3rd line can move up. I think Bailey isn't even a good option there, same with Wheeler. There are ways to maneuver it. You need someone who can play wing and also move up to 2C if needed. There is no middle six depth or players.
May 21, 2022 at 6:57 p.m.
I agree Holmberg, Anderson, and Steeves are probably up at some point this season. But you don't have any depth because of your trades. No one on that 3rd line can move up. I think Bailey isn't even a good option there, same with Wheeler. There are ways to maneuver it. You need someone who can play wing and also move up to 2C if needed. There is no middle six depth or players.

True, but sacrifices have to be made. And I would rather the Leafs have a Vezina caliber goalie in net instead of depth scoring because in the playoffs what matters is how your stars play and how good your goalie is.

Maybe in this roster you subtract Wheeler from it, but I believe Tavares needs to play with veteran high quality forwards in order for him to be at his best. And they don't come cheap. And it is a high priority because this year he had very little chemistry with Kerfoot and Nylander.
May 21, 2022 at 7:12 p.m.
Pens Fan

It’s the leafs it’s gonna be first round or the hockey world will explode
May 21, 2022 at 7:25 p.m.
we miss leo k
-Muzzin should be like, plan J for the Islanders at LD2. Bailey's contract is affordable enough (only $3.5M in real money each year but 2x$5M in cap hit left) that, if they have to dump his deal, shouldn't be that burdensome to move on from. Not interested in Nick Robertson personally, until he can prove that he can stay healthy for a full season. And, of course, there's Muzzin's NTC to worry about.

-Holl probably gets a 4th/5th wherever he goes, sure.

-Can't see Seattle jumping at this one - Soucy is a valuable pending UFA for them with an affordable cap hit, I would expect them to cash him in for picks/prospects, not a pending UFA at a different position.

-Just buy Mrazek out. Arizona has a starting goalie signed for next year in Vejmelka, and Mrazek's back-loaded contract doesn't fit the usual cap dumps they take on. I think it will take more than a pick swap & an extra 3rd rounder to dump him in the desert.

-If Winnipeg is going full rebuild, I could see this happening. Obviously Wheeler's NTC complicates things, but I think if he waives it this is fair value for him & Hellebuyck - a top line winger, a top prospect, and a mid/late 1st rounder. It's a hefty price to pay, and I feel like both fanbases would hate it, but the values feel good.

That being said, you better prayyyy nobody gets banged up on this team. 20 man roster, so no healthy scratches, and no room for them. That 4th line is scary in the bad way - you're going to have to heavily shelter those minutes and lean on the top 3 lines a ton - which, seeing as the 2nd line has an *average* age of 33.7, is a bit of a risky proposition.
May 21, 2022 at 8:08 p.m.
Quoting: dannibalcorpse
-Muzzin should be like, plan J for the Islanders at LD2. Bailey's contract is affordable enough (only $3.5M in real money each year but 2x$5M in cap hit left) that, if they have to dump his deal, shouldn't be that burdensome to move on from. Not interested in Nick Robertson personally, until he can prove that he can stay healthy for a full season. And, of course, there's Muzzin's NTC to worry about.

-Holl probably gets a 4th/5th wherever he goes, sure.

-Can't see Seattle jumping at this one - Soucy is a valuable pending UFA for them with an affordable cap hit, I would expect them to cash him in for picks/prospects, not a pending UFA at a different position.

-Just buy Mrazek out. Arizona has a starting goalie signed for next year in Vejmelka, and Mrazek's back-loaded contract doesn't fit the usual cap dumps they take on. I think it will take more than a pick swap & an extra 3rd rounder to dump him in the desert.

-If Winnipeg is going full rebuild, I could see this happening. Obviously Wheeler's NTC complicates things, but I think if he waives it this is fair value for him & Hellebuyck - a top line winger, a top prospect, and a mid/late 1st rounder. It's a hefty price to pay, and I feel like both fanbases would hate it, but the values feel good.

That being said, you better prayyyy nobody gets banged up on this team. 20 man roster, so no healthy scratches, and no room for them. That 4th line is scary in the bad way - you're going to have to heavily shelter those minutes and lean on the top 3 lines a ton - which, seeing as the 2nd line has an *average* age of 33.7, is a bit of a risky proposition.

Leafs are in win now mode, so getting a bonafide number 1 goalie regardless of the high price is critical. I think the Jets only do it if Wheeler goes the other way.

And the second line is old and slow, but they know how to play with talent on a top six line. Plus, Tavares and Wheeler rarely get injured. They have played full seasons multiple times. I thought Kerfoot was misplaced playing with JT and Nylander doesn't compliment JT's game at all.

And the bottom six is the weak link in this chain, but if the top six scores on a regular basis then Hellebuyck is good enough to win games 3-2 or even steal games.
May 21, 2022 at 8:11 p.m.
we miss leo k
Leafs are in win now mode, so getting a bonafide number 1 goalie regardless of the high price is critical. I think the Jets only do it if Wheeler goes the other way.

And the second line is old and slow, but they know how to play with talent on a top six line. Plus, Tavares and Wheeler rarely get injured. They have played full seasons multiple times. I thought Kerfoot was misplaced playing with JT and Nylander doesn't compliment JT's game at all.

And the bottom six is the weak link in this chain, but if the top six scores on a regular basis then Hellebuyck is good enough to win games 3-2 or even steal games.

It's a helluva tightrope to walk - I think this team would be the definition of "high risk/high reward". If everything goes right, they're a solid Cup contender. If more than one thing goes wrong though? Oooh boy...just be glad you kept that 2023 1st lol. Trust me as an Islanders fan - banking on the health of a veteran-heavy roster can lead you to some dark, dark places real quick.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll