Joined: Mar. 2021
Team that I think should take a flyer on Monahan
This deal is obviously a point of contention on this website so instead of the back and forth let's see if there is a solution to a Monahan deal. Calgary obviously needs the cap space but there are plenty of other ways to get in instead of getting washed in a trade. Mentioned in another thread I think that a Monahan deal only makes sense if it's riddled with conditions so the starting point for a Monahan trade should be.
Sean Monahan for Future Considerations
- Monahan plays 50+ games Calgary receives a 5th round pick
- Monahan scores 20+ goals Calgary receives a 3rd round pick
- Monahan plays less than 50 games Calgary receives nothing in the deal
- Monahan doesn't play Calgary sends a 3rd round pick for the cap compensation
- Picks could be replaced with a pre determined pool of prospects that the Flames get to select based on meeting conditions
- Monahan meets conditions "A" the Flames get to select from player X/Y/Z
- Monahan meets conditions "B" the Flames get to select from player U/V/W
All conditions must be met before the 2023 TDL so that if the team has the ability to flip Monahan at the deadline.
There could be plenty more added to that list that gives the team acquiring Monahan some sort of value regardless of how he plays returning from injury while freeing up cap space for the Flames.
What are your thoughts and what kind of conditions could you see put into a deal like this?