Jun. 1, 2022 at 1:51 p.m.
Team that I think should take a flyer on Monahan
- Detroit
- Columbus
- Anaheim
- Buffalo
- Seattle
- Chicago

This deal is obviously a point of contention on this website so instead of the back and forth let's see if there is a solution to a Monahan deal. Calgary obviously needs the cap space but there are plenty of other ways to get in instead of getting washed in a trade. Mentioned in another thread I think that a Monahan deal only makes sense if it's riddled with conditions so the starting point for a Monahan trade should be.

Sean Monahan for Future Considerations

- Monahan plays 50+ games Calgary receives a 5th round pick
- Monahan scores 20+ goals Calgary receives a 3rd round pick
- Monahan plays less than 50 games Calgary receives nothing in the deal
- Monahan doesn't play Calgary sends a 3rd round pick for the cap compensation
- Picks could be replaced with a pre determined pool of prospects that the Flames get to select based on meeting conditions
- Monahan meets conditions "A" the Flames get to select from player X/Y/Z
- Monahan meets conditions "B" the Flames get to select from player U/V/W

All conditions must be met before the 2023 TDL so that if the team has the ability to flip Monahan at the deadline.

There could be plenty more added to that list that gives the team acquiring Monahan some sort of value regardless of how he plays returning from injury while freeing up cap space for the Flames.

What are your thoughts and what kind of conditions could you see put into a deal like this?
Jun. 1, 2022 at 1:52 p.m.
PlusMinus is stupid
As a pure cap dump, with nothing going back to Calgary, I'd be willing to take a chance on him in Detroit
yycofred, areax91 and FanOfAllTeams liked this.
Jun. 1, 2022 at 1:54 p.m.
Teams who have cap space to facilitate Monahan, have cap space to be in the running for UFAs. And this UFA market is pretty decent, I think Monahan if moved will need to be for a pick because it will need to be done quickly for Calgary to make all their other moves.
yycofred and palhal liked this.
Jun. 1, 2022 at 1:56 p.m.
I could see the Sabres taking a flyer on him, but I don't think there would be any conditional picks going back to Calgary. Interesting idea though.
yycofred liked this.
Jun. 1, 2022 at 1:57 p.m.
Quoting: tryger
Teams who have cap space to facilitate Monahan, have cap space to be in the running for UFAs. And this UFA market is pretty decent, I think Monahan if moved will need to be for a pick because it will need to be done quickly for Calgary to make all their other moves.

Good point for sure that I didn't really consider. I guess the teams I listed there aren't quite at the point of pushing for the playoffs outside of maybe Detroit or Anaheim in a bad Pacific division. They wouldn't really look at the big UFA hunting but definitely something to consider. Especially if they want to get Gaudreau done before UFA
tryger liked this.
Jun. 1, 2022 at 2:00 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
There are a so many teams that want to dump bad contracts and so few buyers....teams with cap. Seattle or any of these "buyers" aren't going sending any picks for these dumps even if they play 82 games.
As Tryger suggested above....Calgary's competition in dumpng a contract is also UFAs.
It will cost a lot to dump Monahan....I would say a 2nd rounder
tryger and yycofred liked this.
Jun. 1, 2022 at 2:00 p.m.
Quoting: yycofred
Good point for sure that I didn't really consider. I guess the teams I listed there aren't quite at the point of pushing for the playoffs outside of maybe Detroit or Anaheim in a bad Pacific division. They wouldn't really look at the big UFA hunting but definitely something to consider. Especially if they want to get Gaudreau done before UFA

I think Monahan can be moved quickly, it's just teams will understand why it's urgent, so you'll pay the premium of a pick and/or prospect and get the cap space to facilitate both your big signings and potentially a RD.
yycofred liked this.
Jun. 1, 2022 at 2:03 p.m.
Quoting: palhal
There are a so many teams that want to dump bad contracts and so few buyers....teams with cap. Seattle or any of these "buyers" aren't going sending any picks for these dumps even if they play 82 games.
As Tryger suggested above....Calgary's competition in dumpng a contract is also UFAs.
It will cost a lot to dump Monahan....I would say a 2nd rounder

I think a second rounder is high based on the term of the deal and the potential of the player, I do get what you're saying though. If CAlgary is sending a 2nd to dump him then I would think a lower pick or low end prospect would be coming the other way. Agreed with what you and Tryger are saying thoguh.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll