Forums/Armchair-GM

If Cat gets traded scortched earth

Created by: ChiHawk
Team: 2022-23 Chicago Blackhawks
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 10, 2022
Published: Jun. 10, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
What tanking really looks like; probably could throw in a big cap dump from someone as well.

Of course this is all low probability
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$2,000,000
3$2,000,000
Trades
CHI
  1. Holtz, Alexander
  2. 2023 1st round pick (NJD)
Additional Details:
2023 1st round pick is top 7 picks protected, resulting in the 2024 1st if that happens
CHI
  1. Holl, Justin
  2. Knies, Matthew [Reserve List]
  3. Mrázek, Petr
Additional Details:
Holl considered as a dump, but doesn't need to include him if the Leafs want to move him elsewhere
CHI
  1. Kakko, Kaapo [RFA Rights]
  2. 2023 1st round pick (NYR)
NYR
  1. Kane, Patrick ($5,250,000 retained)
  2. 2023 2nd round pick (TBL)
CHI
  1. 2023 1st round pick (COL)
COL
  1. Toews, Jonathan ($5,250,000 retained)
  2. 2022 2nd round pick (MIN)
Retained Salary Transactions
Recapture Fees
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the COL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$82,500,000$59,317,212$237,500$2,322,500$23,182,788
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the New Jersey Devils
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW, LW
RFA - 3
Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
$2,000,000$2,000,000
C, RW
RFA - 4
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RW
RFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
LW, C
RFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
C
RFA - 1
$758,333$758,333
RW
RFA - 2
$1,150,000$1,150,000
RW, C, LW
UFA - 2
$842,500$842,500 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
C
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
RW, C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$820,000$820,000 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
LW
RFA - 2
$800,000$800,000
RW, C
RFA - 2
$800,000$800,000
LW, C
RFA - 2
$758,333$758,333
LW
RFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$9,500,000$9,500,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 8
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$3,800,000$3,800,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$1,350,000$1,350,000
LD
RFA - 2
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$883,750$883,750
G
RFA - 1
$867,500$867,500 (Performance Bonus$32,500$32K)
LD
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
RFA - 1
$866,667$866,667
RD
RFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$975,000$975,000
LW, C
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jun. 10, 2022 at 1:47 p.m.
I don't think Toronto will trade Kines, they need good players on ELCs to fill out their roster over the next 3-4 years. Also Murphy is probably too expensive for them to take on.
Jun. 10, 2022 at 1:50 p.m.
I completely agree that if Cat is traded it should be scorched earth. I think that might be what Davidson is hoping for. If he can find the right package for Cat, he might get Kane to waive and probably Toews too.
ChiHawk liked this.
Jun. 10, 2022 at 1:52 p.m.
Quoting: Greysuits
I don't think Toronto will trade Kines, they need good players on ELCs to fill out their roster over the next 3-4 years. Also Murphy is probably too expensive for them to take on.

Maybe, but Toronto's window is now and Knies isn't ready yet. Moving out some cap with Holl and Mrazek will obviously help. Maybe Hawks retain $1M on Murphy, but Murphy would solidify their right side; Brodie and Murphy is pretty solid, especially bringing the physical element around the net. The bigger question for Toronto is goalie and what the cost is there...once that is decided, if there is room I could see them doing this type of trade all day long.
Jun. 10, 2022 at 1:52 p.m.
That leafs trade is not close. I like Murphy, but I don't think he gets you that good of a prospect. I wouldn't do Knies for Cat, and I love that guy.
Jun. 10, 2022 at 1:53 p.m.
Quoting: Garak
I completely agree that if Cat is traded it should be scorched earth. I think that might be what Davidson is hoping for. If he can find the right package for Cat, he might get Kane to waive and probably Toews too.

Yeah, it's going to be sad if Cat gets traded because a) that means Kane and Toews are gone and hate to see Kane especially gone; b) means we are really going to suck for a few years and not even worth watching...I mean look at the roster here...has to be the worst in the league
Garak liked this.
Jun. 10, 2022 at 1:56 p.m.
Quoting: TooMalevolent
That leafs trade is not close. I like Murphy, but I don't think he gets you that good of a prospect. I wouldn't do Knies for Cat, and I love that guy.

I agree not Murphy for Knies straight up, but dumping Mrazek and Holl, Mrazak takes a 2nd to move and Holl is not worth anything to the Hawks at least, is what may make it worth it.

Knies for Cat...c'mon lol...knies is a very good prospect but over an elite 24 year old NHL player...wow that's a HUGE stretch
Garak liked this.
Jun. 10, 2022 at 1:57 p.m.
Quoting: ChiHawk
Maybe, but Toronto's window is now and Knies isn't ready yet. Moving out some cap with Holl and Mrazek will obviously help. Maybe Hawks retain $1M on Murphy, but Murphy would solidify their right side; Brodie and Murphy is pretty solid, especially bringing the physical element around the net. The bigger question for Toronto is goalie and what the cost is there...once that is decided, if there is room I could see them doing this type of trade all day long.

Their window is over the next 2 to 3 years while they have Mathews and Marner signed and before Tavares completely falls off a cliff. I think they will have other options for Mrazek and Holl that doesn't cost them known young cheap talent. I also don't think Murphy pushes them over the edge so its just too high of a price to pay. This is coming from a Sabres fan who would love nothing more than to watch Toronto get bounced again in the first round.
Jun. 10, 2022 at 2:04 p.m.
Yeah, it's going to be sad if Cat gets traded because a) that means Kane and Toews are gone and hate to see Kane especially gone; b) means we are really going to suck for a few years and not even worth watching...I mean look at the roster here...has to be the worst in the league

Well, CHI is still gonna have to hit the cap floor. So there will be minor improvements in the form of temporary players. And in the meantime we get to watch all the other stuff unfold outside of the actual games. Hopefully we can see another CHI championship. And honestly, if Kane can look past a tear down and still wants to stick around, I would be more than happy to have him. But if he wants to turn and run when the dominos start falling, I hope he can make a decision while we can still recoup something for him. I don't necessarily believe in Karma but CHI kind of deserves to suck for a while after everything that happened.
Jun. 10, 2022 at 2:07 p.m.
Quoting: Greysuits
Their window is over the next 2 to 3 years while they have Mathews and Marner signed and before Tavares completely falls off a cliff. I think they will have other options for Mrazek and Holl that doesn't cost them known young cheap talent. I also don't think Murphy pushes them over the edge so its just too high of a price to pay. This is coming from a Sabres fan who would love nothing more than to watch Toronto get bounced again in the first round.

Agree on their window but doubtful knies fits that window realistically. He probably is going to take another year of development and another to adjust to the NHL. Maybe there is more here to throw in from the Hawks side or maybe it's just Mrazek and Hawks take a 2nd and move Murphy elsewhere.
Jun. 10, 2022 at 2:08 p.m.
I'm pretty sure all this love for Knies is overblown. He is certainly a high end prospect and has a good shot at becoming a top 6 player in the NHL some day. But the insane value TOR seems to place on him is a head scratcher.
ChiHawk liked this.
Jun. 10, 2022 at 2:08 p.m.
Well, CHI is still gonna have to hit the cap floor. So there will be minor improvements in the form of temporary players. And in the meantime we get to watch all the other stuff unfold outside of the actual games. Hopefully we can see another CHI championship. And honestly, if Kane can look past a tear down and still wants to stick around, I would be more than happy to have him. But if he wants to turn and run when the dominos start falling, I hope he can make a decision while we can still recoup something for him. I don't necessarily believe in Karma but CHI kind of deserves to suck for a while after everything that happened.

The sad part of that last statement is it comes at the expense of fans and players like Kane...didn't have to be that way but besides the front office screwing up, also had a GM the last 5 years that screwed this team over.
Garak liked this.
Jun. 10, 2022 at 2:11 p.m.
I'm pretty sure all this love for Knies is overblown. He is certainly a high end prospect and has a good shot at becoming a top 6 player in the NHL some day. But the insane value TOR seems to place on him is a head scratcher.

Agree, diehard fans all think their prospects are locks for being franchise level or elite and often times are dissapointed down the road. Knies is a top 6 guy I believe, but franchise level? There's more cases then not of prospects never hitting their projected ceilings and Knies isn't projected as a franchise level prospect despite being a good prospect no doubt
Garak liked this.
Jun. 10, 2022 at 2:11 p.m.
The sad part of that last statement is it comes at the expense of fans and players like Kane...didn't have to be that way but besides the front office screwing up, also had a GM the last 5 years that screwed this team over.

Exactly. If he would have just gotten his head out of his ass and kept Panarin and did a quick retool/rebuild after that last cup, and stopped expending all our assets on dumb "win now" moves, we would be fine right now.
ChiHawk liked this.
Jun. 10, 2022 at 2:16 p.m.
Agree, diehard fans all think their prospects are locks for being franchise level or elite and often times are dissapointed down the road. Knies is a top 6 guy I believe, but franchise level? There's more cases then not of prospects never hitting their projected ceilings and Knies isn't projected as a franchise level prospect despite being a good prospect no doubt

Right? Like, I like Dach and Reichel and I wouldn't want to move them right now for just anything. But that doesn't mean I think they are some dynamo players with insane value. Knies hasn't even played professional hockey yet, relax. haha
ChiHawk liked this.
Jun. 10, 2022 at 2:16 p.m.
I agree not Murphy for Knies straight up, but dumping Mrazek and Holl, Mrazak takes a 2nd to move and Holl is not worth anything to the Hawks at least, is what may make it worth it.

Knies for Cat...c'mon lol...knies is a very good prospect but over an elite 24 year old NHL player...wow that's a HUGE stretch

If Mrazek does cost a 2nd, then you pay a 2nd. You don't add him to a big trade that requires you to up the level of prospect. I don't think a Murphy is worth that.

Cat definitely worth Knies. But I don't think teams should trade A prospects unless it fits. The issue with Cat is his contract is up. If this was 2 yrs ago, I think it starts with knies and a 1st. Now the leafs have to pay him. I don't know his qualifying, but I imagine it's high. It's probably $9million per to lock him in. Which is fine, but Leafs have Matthews UFA coming up. This also means you have to trade Nylander. For the leafs to give up Knies they have to be better this year and next. That's the window. If it costs you Nylander you are only a bit better.
Garak and ChiHawk liked this.
Jun. 10, 2022 at 2:18 p.m.
If Mrazek does cost a 2nd, then you pay a 2nd. You don't add him to a big trade that requires you to up the level of prospect. I don't think a Murphy is worth that.

Cat definitely worth Knies. But I don't think teams should trade A prospects unless it fits. The issue with Cat is his contract is up. If this was 2 yrs ago, I think it starts with knies and a 1st. Now the leafs have to pay him. I don't know his qualifying, but I imagine it's high. It's probably $9million per to lock him in. Which is fine, but Leafs have Matthews UFA coming up. This also means you have to trade Nylander. For the leafs to give up Knies they have to be better this year and next. That's the window. If it costs you Nylander you are only a bit better.

See. that makes sense. But some people talk about Knies as if he is already better than half the players in the NHL. And it's like... Ok hold on. there is a little something called nuance. hahah
TooMalevolent and ChiHawk liked this.
Jun. 10, 2022 at 2:21 p.m.

Prospects like him will always mean more to the Leafs. He's a big forward whose game probably means more to the Leafs because he offers something a ton of their players/prospects don't. He's also probably relatively close to coming up. That means cheap cap hit. Most of all he's size and skill. Those prospects are always worth more to every team that has them. But I agree that the most you can hope for is top6 forward.
Jun. 10, 2022 at 2:27 p.m.
Shaners79
Hawks fans love Cat. I look at it this way. Alex has yet to play in the playoffs. If the Hawks are in the rebuilding process. Let this kid go to a team like the Devils and get there sooner. Not when he's in his late 20.
Jun. 10, 2022 at 2:32 p.m.
Prospects like him will always mean more to the Leafs. He's a big forward whose game probably means more to the Leafs because he offers something a ton of their players/prospects don't. He's also probably relatively close to coming up. That means cheap cap hit. Most of all he's size and skill. Those prospects are always worth more to every team that has them. But I agree that the most you can hope for is top6 forward.

For sure. I definitely get all of the appeal of Knies. I think I might have been the first CHI fan to ask for him in trade earlier this year after some research into TOR's pipeline. But I still think the level of snap back about him is unwarranted.
TooMalevolent and ChiHawk liked this.
Jun. 10, 2022 at 2:32 p.m.
Quoting: Shaners79
Hawks fans love Cat. I look at it this way. Alex has yet to play in the playoffs. If the Hawks are in the rebuilding process. Let this kid go to a team like the Devils and get there sooner. Not when he's in his late 20.

Sure. But you gotta pay for him. And it doesn't seem like many NJD fans want to pay the price. At least not some of the more vocal NJD fans.
ChiHawk and Shaners79 liked this.
Jun. 10, 2022 at 2:38 p.m.
Shaners79
Sure. But you gotta pay for him. And it doesn't seem like many NJD fans want to pay the price. At least not some of the more vocal NJD fans.

I'm in the minority probably. I see alot of value in DeBrincat. I'm a Devils fan but I've been a Hawks fan as well. I have 2 DeBrincat jerseys and shrts. So yeah I'm a little biased but he's something I think we could definitely use. A #1 winger for Hughes or Hischier to take some pressure off Bratt.
Jun. 10, 2022 at 2:39 p.m.
Easiest no ever from the Rangers. No thanks to a 1 year Kane rental.
Jun. 10, 2022 at 2:42 p.m.
I'm in the minority probably. I see alot of value in DeBrincat. I'm a Devils fan but I've been a Hawks fan as well. I have 2 DeBrincat jerseys and shrts. So yeah I'm a little biased but he's something I think we could definitely use. A #1 winger for Hughes or Hischier to take some pressure off Bratt.

For sure. And I think a lot of people mistake him for a pure offensive forward because of his offensive numbers and size. But that little f@$#er can play some defense. His 2 way game seems to get better and better every season too.
Shaners79 and ChiHawk liked this.
Jun. 10, 2022 at 2:43 p.m.
For sure. I definitely get all of the appeal of Knies. I think I might have been the first CHI fan to ask for him in trade earlier this year after some research into TOR's pipeline. But I still think the level of snap back about him is unwarranted.

Yeah teams always overvalue the players for their teams more. I fully admit I am usually unreasonable in a Nylander trade. It can be even more true for prospects. I think it's an early attachment to a player and seeing their progression. It's also theoretically uncapped potential. Of course most players like Knies just turn into middle of the lineup guys. But until that happens, you can always imagine so much more.
Garak liked this.
Jun. 10, 2022 at 2:43 p.m.

Yeah, I see the point but a rebuild isn't or doesn't have to be a linear process. We could get it done in 3 years instead of 5 or some teams in a perpetual rebuild. It's such a unknown quantity to say rebuild.
Garak liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll