Forums/Armchair-GM

2022-23 Regression

Created by: jschultz18
Team: 2022-23 New York Rangers
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 28, 2022
Published: Jun. 28, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I think NYR will regress in 22-23. Still a solid team and strong chance to make the playoffs but I wouldn't bet on a deep run. I'd like to see Turk give the kids more TOI and Drury save as much cap space as possible. Once we move Goodrow, Kreider and Trouba, I think this team will be set up to consistently make deep runs.

I know I need to fill 4 more spots but those will be small deals that provide depth. The actual players that would be signed are irrelevant in the context of AGM.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$2,300,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$1,000,000
Trades
NYR
ANA
  1. Nemeth, Patrik
  2. 2022 4th round pick (WPG)
  3. 2023 7th round pick (NYR)
Additional Details:
Could be any team
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
19$82,500,000$74,078,969$0$3,650,000$8,421,031
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the New York Rangers
$11,642,857$11,642,857
LW
NMC
UFA - 4
$8,500,000$8,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 8
$6,500,000$6,500,000
LW
NMC
UFA - 5
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
LW, RW
RFA - 1
$2,300,000$2,300,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$2,300,000$2,300,000
RW
RFA - 2
$1,525,000$1,525,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$3,641,667$3,641,667
C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$875,000$875,000
LW, RW
RFA - 1
$1,750,000$1,750,000
RW
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
C
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LD
RFA - 2
$9,500,000$9,500,000
RD
UFA - 7
$5,666,667$5,666,667
G
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
LD
RFA - 1
$8,000,000$8,000,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 4
$925,000$925,000
LD
RFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
RD
RFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jun. 28, 2022 at 7:32 a.m.
Jimbo1119
If the formula for next year is to rely on another Vezina season, 50+ goals from Kreider, and an off the charts PP...then yes- can see regression coming.

But if they can make strides in 5X5 play...much which would be predicated on the continued development of Kakko, LaF, Miller, and Chytl (BTW nothing unreasonable to expect here)...And IF they can get a 3rd pair which outplays this past year's 3rd pairing (again- not unreasonable here to hope for from whatever combination of Nils/Schneidr/Jones vs. the tire fire consistently deployed last year as a 3rd pairing)...then maybe a regression is not in order. And who knows what to expect from guys like Blais, Krav, Othmann, and Cuylle? If any one of these guys provides a boost to the lineup then a huge stride will have been made in getting bottom 6 production- which is sorely need to keep moving forward.

One more thing to consider: with teams like WASH and PITT seemingly past their peaks, a few teams in flux, and really only the NJD being a young team tracking up....the Metro Division is not expected to be the gauntlet it was a few years ago...of course I can be very wrong with this point!!
Book_Hockey and Lenny7 liked this.
Jun. 28, 2022 at 8:18 a.m.
Quoting: Jimbo1119
If the formula for next year is to rely on another Vezina season, 50+ goals from Kreider, and an off the charts PP...then yes- can see regression coming.

But if they can make strides in 5X5 play...much which would be predicated on the continued development of Kakko, LaF, Miller, and Chytl (BTW nothing unreasonable to expect here)...And IF they can get a 3rd pair which outplays this past year's 3rd pairing (again- not unreasonable here to hope for from whatever combination of Nils/Schneidr/Jones vs. the tire fire consistently deployed last year as a 3rd pairing)...then maybe a regression is not in order. And who knows what to expect from guys like Blais, Krav, Othmann, and Cuylle? If any one of these guys provides a boost to the lineup then a huge stride will have been made in getting bottom 6 production- which is sorely need to keep moving forward.

One more thing to consider: with teams like WASH and PITT seemingly past their peaks, a few teams in flux, and really only the NJD being a young team tracking up....the Metro Division is not expected to be the gauntlet it was a few years ago...of course I can be very wrong with this point!!

Hit the nail on the head. Improved 5v5 play is key. Over reliance on the PP to score isn’t a formula for success. Shesterkin is that good though. I wouldn’t say it’s a good thing to rely on Vezina type seasons, but he’s good enough to bring that every season
Lenny7 liked this.
Jun. 28, 2022 at 8:27 a.m.
Kinda weird not to attempt to address any of the issues you discuss.
Jun. 28, 2022 at 8:48 a.m.
Jimbo1119
Quoting: Sagecoll
Kinda weird not to attempt to address any of the issues you discuss.

I gotta think they are attempting to address...but Drury is very tight lipped about everything he does- which is actually a good thing...unless he in fact isn't addressing the concerns- or is going about it in a wrong way.

5X5 play improvement will depend much upon how things in house are handled...i.e. Gallant has to do a better job with deployment. For sure this has been his undoing in past jobs- so don't know what to expect here. But however it is discussed between him and Drury- I wouldn't expect any of those conversations to be aired to the public. In the end though, if Gallant wants to "die on a hill" with guys like Reaves, Hunt, Nemeth, and Goodrow (w/ over reliance on other than bottom 6 minutes)-at the expense of guys like LaF, Kakko, Nils, and Zac Jones- then next season will be a rocky road if Shesty performs any less than his "out of this world" performance this past year.
Jun. 28, 2022 at 9:02 a.m.
In the end though, if Gallant wants to "die on a hill" with guys like Reaves, Hunt, Nemeth, and Goodrow (w/ over reliance on other than bottom 6 minutes)-at the expense of guys like LaF, Kakko, Nils, and Zac Jones- then next season will be a rocky road if Shesty performs any less than his "out of this world" performance this past year.

I mean that's what Gallant is. He loves those guys. He said it himself that he thought they gave him a better chance to win than Kakko. That's why he has been fired in less than 3 seasons from Florida and Vegas. It would be insanity to know that, expect something different, and then be disappointed when the guy who does the same thing every time, does his thing.

You either have to a) Fire him or b) Have the GM move out all of those players who are negative impact that he would undoubtedly play over younger more skilled guys.

The issue is that I don't think Drury really has much of a different talent evaluation than Gallant.
Jun. 28, 2022 at 9:30 a.m.
Jimbo1119
I mean that's what Gallant is. He loves those guys. He said it himself that he thought they gave him a better chance to win than Kakko. That's why he has been fired in less than 3 seasons from Florida and Vegas. It would be insanity to know that, expect something different, and then be disappointed when the guy who does the same thing every time, does his thing.

You either have to a) Fire him or b) Have the GM move out all of those players who are negative impact that he would undoubtedly play over younger more skilled guys.

The issue is that I don't think Drury really has much of a different talent evaluation than Gallant.

All I can hope for is MAYBE Gallant- and Drury- observed how the AVS destroyed the reigning champs to claim their 1st Cup in many years. Let's face it: even winning it with a sub-par goalie...this series wasn't even close. The Avs blew the doors off TBL with pressure and team speed. Hopefully Gallant (quietly to himself, of course) comes to realize that deploying guys like "his henchmen" against the Avs would have resulted in an embarrassing slaughter. Only hoping here...not holding my breath!!

As far as Drury...the Buch trade is that "bad taste in the mouth which will not go away"...but what's done is done. Before the NYR $hitstorm last year (before promoted) he was an executive that many in the business did seem to hold in high regard. I just hold that thought and hope he did learn from that disastrous trade...I guess we'll see pretty quickly- with a bunch of young guys coming up needing commitment by the organization. Again- hoping but not holding my breath...but do have more confidence here than in Gallant evolving!
Jun. 28, 2022 at 11:14 a.m.

As far as Drury...the Buch trade is that "bad taste in the mouth which will not go away"...but what's done is done. Before the NYR $hitstorm last year (before promoted) he was an executive that many in the business did seem to hold in high regard. I just hold that thought and hope he did learn from that disastrous trade...I guess we'll see pretty quickly- with a bunch of young guys coming up needing commitment by the organization. Again- hoping but not holding my breath...but do have more confidence here than in Gallant evolving!

I mean he presided over a really horribly run Hartford franchise that Davidson had to personally go in and fix immediately when he got there. Lot of talk from players bringing up several issues there all under Drury's watch, and that was frankly his only executive experience, having almost every European player opt to go back to Europe rather than play for Hartford speaks volumes. The other thing he's known for is scouting the 2018 WJC and telling Gorton to do whatever he can to acquire Libor Hajek because he's the next McDonagh. We see how that worked out.

There's no reason for optimism with Drury either.
Jun. 28, 2022 at 12:36 p.m.
Yeah, the Buch trade was a stinker. At least this option is going with the kids. However, this a regression. No Conference final with this group. Not a knock, just the truth. I'm not optimistic over the next 5 years. Sather - Gorton - Drury. When will the Rangers get a competent GM?
Jun. 28, 2022 at 1:10 p.m.
Why not us
Quoting: gdli
Yeah, the Buch trade was a stinker. At least this option is going with the kids. However, this a regression. No Conference final with this group. Not a knock, just the truth. I'm not optimistic over the next 5 years. Sather - Gorton - Drury. When will the Rangers get a competent GM?

Drury made unreal deadline moves without giving up a whole lot. I wouldn't worry too much over one bad trade. Blais was playing great until injury too.
Jun. 28, 2022 at 2:40 p.m.
Jimbo1119
I mean he presided over a really horribly run Hartford franchise that Davidson had to personally go in and fix immediately when he got there. Lot of talk from players bringing up several issues there all under Drury's watch, and that was frankly his only executive experience, having almost every European player opt to go back to Europe rather than play for Hartford speaks volumes. The other thing he's known for is scouting the 2018 WJC and telling Gorton to do whatever he can to acquire Libor Hajek because he's the next McDonagh. We see how that worked out.

There's no reason for optimism with Drury either.

Seems like a lot to hold Drury fully accountable for. Hartford was a mess I believe before he got there- probably a lot to do with moving of premium picks over several years and poor drafting with the picks they did have. As far as European players staying in Europe- it seems that's one of a few available paths for development- which seems to differ player to player. Lias and Krav obviously had their problems- but both also seemed to have their own maturity issues. As far as Hajek- if what you're saying is the case, I'm sure almost every NHL exec has their own "swing and miss" guys.

Now that all said- I'm not looking to make excuses for the guy. And I really see the jury out on him. He did have a good 1st TDL- but last summer's decisions were a big over reaction to the Wilson incident...we'll never know if these decisions were all him- or if his hand was forced. In any case, the team did have a successful year and an unexpected playoff run...but it's all on Drury now to make the difficult decisions now to set this team up as a contender the next several years. Does he have it in him? Sage- I think I know your answer, lol. While skeptical, I have to have at least a little optimism- otherwise why follow NYR hockey - or any sport for that matter?
Jun. 28, 2022 at 2:44 p.m.
Why not us
Seems like a lot to hold Drury fully accountable for. Hartford was a mess I believe before he got there- probably a lot to do with moving of premium picks over several years and poor drafting with the picks they did have. As far as European players staying in Europe- it seems that's one of a few available paths for development- which seems to differ player to player. Lias and Krav obviously had their problems- but both also seemed to have their own maturity issues. As far as Hajek- if what you're saying is the case, I'm sure almost every NHL exec has their own "swing and miss" guys.

Now that all said- I'm not looking to make excuses for the guy. And I really see the jury out on him. He did have a good 1st TDL- but last summer's decisions were a big over reaction to the Wilson incident...we'll never know if these decisions were all him- or if his hand was forced. In any case, the team did have a successful year and an unexpected playoff run...but it's all on Drury now to make the difficult decisions now to set this team up as a contender the next several years. Does he have it in him? Sage- I think I know your answer, lol. While skeptical, I have to have at least a little optimism- otherwise why follow NYR hockey - or any sport for that matter?

Rangers fans aren't allowed to be rational
Jimbo1119 liked this.
Jun. 28, 2022 at 2:48 p.m.
Quoting: jschultz18
Drury made unreal deadline moves without giving up a whole lot. I wouldn't worry too much over one bad trade. Blais was playing great until injury too.

Drury gave up a lot more than a 1st to fill holes he created by trading Buch and treating Kravtsov like garbage. If all he did was nothing last offseason, the team is honestly probably better this season, has a 1st rounder and could do whatever they wanted at the deadline.
Jun. 28, 2022 at 2:56 p.m.
Why not us
Drury gave up a lot more than a 1st to fill holes he created by trading Buch and treating Kravtsov like garbage. If all he did was nothing last offseason, the team is honestly probably better this season, has a 1st rounder and could do whatever they wanted at the deadline.

It's not like he earned his playing time he was awful in 20 NHL games. He didn't want to wait and Drury said too bad. Buch was never getting resigned so it was inevitable he was getting traded, unfortunate that Blais got hurt but still a bad deal overall. You can't take away from the fact that Vatrano was unreal and we gave up nothing, Braun played solid minutes and Copp was super cheap. Yea we lost our 1st but no one expected us to even sniff the ECF let alone the 2nd round. Motte was dirt cheap as well. Simmer down the future is bright.

Not to mention that Drury drafted exceptionally well for his first go around. No one expected Othmann to be good without Shane Wright on his line, at least be this good
Jun. 28, 2022 at 3:07 p.m.
Jimbo1119

I wouldn't downplay the experience they gained going through the grind of a deep playoff run. Who knows where they take it from here- but if the core of this group does manage to progress and give themselves more playoff runs in the future- having experienced what it takes to have playoff success is a big thing to have on their side. Lots of real good teams have struggled with that- many of which never seem to get it all together and their "window" passes. Now is that "experience " worth a late 1st a 2nd, and Barron? I don't know...is a lot to give up- but at least they do get back a late 2nd.
Jun. 30, 2022 at 9:55 a.m.
Re: jschultz18: No argument with your comments on Drury. His predecessors on the other hand. It would be nice to have Buch back on the roster though. I also concur with your comments about Kravtsov, Braun, Copp and Othmann. I've got Kravtsov slotted as 3rd line RW for the 22-23 season. After whining about his playing time he has not impressed so far. It's time to put up or shut up. If he does not pan out, the Blueshirts have Brodzinski in reserve or maybe can pick someone up on the cheap. Best Regards.
jschultz18 liked this.
Jun. 30, 2022 at 11:35 a.m.
Re: jschultz18: On another topic, I just posted a roster that assumes Kappo flies the coop. That might push up Kravtsov to to 2nd line. If we are just talking NYR - Brodzinski and Pajuniemi are options. How you slot them is open for discussion. I've looked and the doesn't appear to be any UFAs available with a feasible production-cost profile that work. If that's the case, play the kids. I'd like to hear your thoughts on two other matters. There a lot of speculation about Pierre Luc Dubois coming to NY. No way for several reasons, he a LW and the Rangers could use some help at RW. Have any of the folks pushing this farce looked at his cap hit. Just sayin. The other topic: Zachary Jones. He has been as impressive as Kravtsov to date. I'm for launching him while he has some value. With Troubs most likely here for the four years, 22-23 3rd D is Lundqvist LD Schneider RD. If Troubs is not renewed, at that time Schneider to 2nd RD and Lundqvist to 3rd RD. Jones brings more offense than Lundqvist, but on the +- chart Lundqvist wins and it's not even close. Thoughts.
Jun. 30, 2022 at 11:54 a.m.
Why not us
Re: jschultz18: On another topic, I just posted a roster that assumes Kappo flies the coop. That might push up Kravtsov to to 2nd line. If we are just talking NYR - Brodzinski and Pajuniemi are options. How you slot them is open for discussion. I've looked and the doesn't appear to be any UFAs available with a feasible production-cost profile that work. If that's the case, play the kids. I'd like to hear your thoughts on two other matters. There a lot of speculation about Pierre Luc Dubois coming to NY. No way for several reasons, he a LW and the Rangers could use some help at RW. Have any of the folks pushing this farce looked at his cap hit. Just sayin. The other topic: Zachary Jones. He has been as impressive as Kravtsov to date. I'm for launching him while he has some value. With Troubs most likely here for the four years, 22-23 3rd D is Lundqvist LD Schneider RD. If Troubs is not renewed, at that time Schneider to 2nd RD and Lundqvist to 3rd RD. Jones brings more offense than Lundqvist, but on the +- chart Lundqvist wins and it's not even close. Thoughts.

Jones and Niks haven't had enough sample size. Both have high potential though. PLD would be the perfect 2C for this team but unlikely to happen with cap crunch (Laf and Miller due for big deals next offseason). One UFA that is feasible to help us at center is Statsny. 1 year for 3 ish mil to compliment Chytil is ideal.
Jun. 30, 2022 at 12:10 p.m.
Agree on the sample size comment for sure. If you stick with both, a larger sample size should produce a clear winner. A Statsny one and done contract is a possibility, but not one I think the Rangers will pursue. Right now my thought is Copp and Motte back in the fold. That said, I'll work on a Stats scenario. Also, if the Rangers part company with Reaves, any thoughts on potential takers, or is it a buyout. I know Gallant will fight this, but it may come down to his CAP HIT.
Jun. 30, 2022 at 12:23 p.m.
Why not us
Agree on the sample size comment for sure. If you stick with both, a larger sample size should produce a clear winner. A Statsny one and done contract is a possibility, but not one I think the Rangers will pursue. Right now my thought is Copp and Motte back in the fold. That said, I'll work on a Stats scenario. Also, if the Rangers part company with Reaves, any thoughts on potential takers, or is it a buyout. I know Gallant will fight this, but it may come down to his CAP HIT.

Would have to give up a pick to compensate for Reaves cap hit unless a team wants him. Buyout is an option
Jun. 30, 2022 at 12:49 p.m.
re: jschultz18 - Based on responses: DET NO NSH NO, But my favorite came from a Sabres fan "May as last resort, if the BUF GM thinks we need a face smasher." Had to share that. I thought that when they picked up Reaves, but he isn't a goon. He just hits anything wearing a different jersey. Buyout is not that costly, so going forward I'll assume he is unloved a assume buyout. As I told a NSH fan who was upset with the thought "Cool your jets. ARI BUF buyout whatever." By the way Stastny's numbers this season and the offer you suggested is certainly plausible. But if the Rangers re-sign Copp, say for 5 years at $5.5M they might be better off. Copp's production was 15-20% better than Paul's last year. And playing with the Breadman for a full season might boost his production into the 60-70 pt range. Even with the higher cap hit, they have room to bring Motte for say 4 seasons at $1.8-2M. Your suggestion is certainly plausible, but I think the NYR will go with youth. Also they will be in the same position next year and Copp will no longer be available. Certainly there will be a new crop of UFA's, so I'll take a look at who may be available at a acceptable cost next year. Stay tuned.
Jun. 30, 2022 at 2:21 p.m.
re: jschultz18: FYI - a preliminary list of replacements for Paul Stastny in 23-24 1) Ivan Barbashev 2) Roope Hintz 3) Bo Horvat. Just an opening salvo. There are sure to be more candidates.
Jun. 30, 2022 at 2:46 p.m.
Why not us
re: jschultz18: FYI - a preliminary list of replacements for Paul Stastny in 23-24 1) Ivan Barbashev 2) Roope Hintz 3) Bo Horvat. Just an opening salvo. There are sure to be more candidates.

Yes indeed. Cap opens up with league increasing max cap hit and with Drury offloading some guys. Love Hintz
Jun. 30, 2022 at 3:38 p.m.
And the approx. $4M coming off on past buyouts will help with retaining K'Andre and Laffy. I just posted a team assuming No Kappo. Includes 1) buyout of Reaves, 2) Nemeth and Georgy to ARI for picks 3) Re-up with Copp, Motte, Rooney, 4) Charlie Lindgren as backup G, and 5) Evan Rodriguez at RW for $1.5 for two campaign. Re: PIT never let a crisis go to waste, especially if the PENS re-up Malkin at $6M. I Think Evan will put up about 55-60 pts with the Rangers and his defense is about the same as Kappo's. Rangers will lose some bulk Kappo 205 Evan185. Take a look and see what you think.
Jun. 30, 2022 at 3:39 p.m.
Forgot, I like the Roope meister too!!

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll