Created by: ryanma260
Team: 2022-23 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 3, 2022
Published: Jul. 3, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
RFAs:
- Sandin gets the same deal as Liljegren
- Engvall rewarded with a decent raise, shorter term deal because of the lower AAV
- Kase gets 1.5 x 2 despite injury concerns, was a really good player for us
- Stenlund gets a two-way contract, we have his RFA rights and he likely won't get a better offer elsewhere having played only 6 NHL games last year

UFAs:
- Lyubushkin has to come back, he was so good with Rielly and shouldn't be too expensive
- Blackwell back on a short term deal for cheap, had a down year last season compared to his year in NY
- Rodrigues off a great year in PIT, and showed he can produce with good line mates. Give him a 2 year deal as a cheap placeholder in the top 6
- Gaudette was unqualified by Ottawa, good depth, to sign on a two-way deal to get a versatile player who's still only 25

Tyler Johnson 3 Team Trade:

TOR Trades:
Petr Mrazek to CHI
Joey Anderson to CHI
2024 2nd Round Pick to CHI
2024 5th Round Pick to CHI
2023 5th Round Pick to ARZ

CHI Trades:
Tyler Johnson (50% retained) to ARZ

ARZ Trades:
Tyler Johnson (50% retained) to TOR
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$900,000
2$1,000,000
2$2,000,000
2$1,400,000
2$1,500,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,500,000
2$995,000
2$1,650,000
2$2,000,000
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Johnson, Tyler
2$1,250,000
Trades
TOR
  1. Johnson, Tyler ($2,500,000 retained)
Additional Details:
From Toronto's perspective, with a deep prospect pool at forward, Joey Anderson isn't really a figure that they likely see as any part of their future. He's old enough and has played well enough to be an NHLer, but Toronto's forward core is just too good. He's not a great prospect, but he has value and Toronto won't hurt too bad sending him away. The 2nd rounder hurts (Toronto would have none for the next 3 years) but they would have to make this move to clear cap space.

Tyler Johnson is a piece I think would be interesting for Toronto get back in a double retain situation. He's old and has injury issues, but he was a 35 point pace player for Tampa before he got to Chicago where he missed like 50 games to injury. If he can stay healthy, especially with his play off experience, his ability to be a contributor on our 2nd PP unit (that really needs a lot of help, he was great on Chicago's PP1 before he got hurt) and could be a Jason Spezza type player for the Leafs with more speed. (Over 55% on faceoffs the last 2 seasons)

Getting rid of Mrazek is key to clear up space to bring in a true #1 goalie, but getting a veteran like Johnson at a pretty reasonable 1.25 AAV for 2 seasons is a good bet. Plus, if he does get hurt again, it won't hurt the team's cap (he just goes to LTIR).
CHI
  1. Anderson, Joey
  2. Mrázek, Petr
  3. 2024 2nd round pick (TOR)
  4. 2024 5th round pick (TOR)
Additional Details:
Blackhawks have 0 goalies on their roster right now. While Lankinen might be brought back, they have yet to offer their stud prospect Drew Commesso an ELC. With this, while Mrazek has been terrible for Toronto, the Blackhawks do have the flexibility to take on Mrazek and actually give him a reasonable chance to play NHL minutes and rebuild his value and game on a team that frankly doesn't have much expectation to be a playoff team next year.

Joey Anderson while 24 did have 42 points in 56 games last year in the AHL (26 G 16 A) and honestly needs an opportunity to play extended stretches on an NHL roster. He'll never get a real opportunity with Toronto, but a team like Chicago who would move Tyler Johnson in this trade, and maybe moving Strome/DeBrincat do have opportunities in their line up for Anderson to compete for. (Borgstrom, Entwhistle, Reese Johnson are bottom 6 guys that Anderson could beat out for a spot)

Toronto would offer the only 2nd round pick they have available, as well as a 5th to get off of Mrazek's Contract. While the retained salary on Johnson is tough for Chicago to eat potentially, they're only adding 1.3 mill in cap in this trade for 2 seasons, which with their 20 million in cap space + potential trades to some of their bigger contracts wouldn't be a real issue for them.

From Chicago's perspective, really it's trading a guy who only played 30 games for them last season and doesn't really figure into their future plans, for a bad contract and getting a 2nd round pick, a 5th rounder, as well as a C tier prospect.

A comparable for me, would be Philadelphia shipping Ghost to Arizona with a 2nd and 7th for nothing, but we give a 5th instead of a 7th and Joey Anderson to get the retention on Tyler Johnson as well.
TOR
  1. 2022 5th round pick (CAR)
  2. 2023 3rd round pick (CAR)
Additional Details:
Toronto frees up much needed cap space to go after a goalie. Likely Toronto will be looking for yet another budget option in their top 6 to play with JT and Nylander (maybe Tyler Johnson in this world, or Nick Robertson finally gets his shot at consistent NHL ice time?)

To be able to get any value for Kerfoot is a positive for Toronto who's in a pretty tough spot with no second round picks now for the next 3 seasons so at least having 3 thirds in the next 3 years is good, and also gives Dubas an asset for any deadline moves.
CAR
  1. Kerfoot, Alexander
Additional Details:
Trochek and Niederreiter are going to test free agency, Necas isn't close on a contract agreement, Domi is a FA, the Canes have a Tony DeAngelo sized hole on their blueline and Jake Gardiner may be coming back from LTIR which would take away almost a quarter of the cap space the Canes have. In all likelihood, one of Trochek and Niederreiter are gone and so CAR needs a middle 6 winger for their team.

Kerfoot's been very good with good linemates in Tavares and Nylander (51 points in 82 games) and if he plays with on a line with either Aho or Trochek/Niedereiter (assuming one comes back) he can be productive again as well and comes in at a pretty reasonable 3.5 mill cap hit and likely wouldn't cost Carolina as much as usual to get him. (In most years a top 6 forward on a cheap deal that gets you 50 points is usually a 2nd round pick at the least)

However, with Toronto's cap crunch and the need to move off of Kerfoot's money for more important positions, I imagine a 3rd and 5th would probably do.
TOR
  1. Stenlund, Kevin [RFA Rights]
  2. 2023 6th round pick (CBJ)
Additional Details:
Clearing Holl's 2 million is the real aim of this trade. While it would be nice to also get Stenlund on a contract as a depth forward that can rotate and get some 3rd or 4th minute lines, he's kind of a throw in. If we could re-sign him, it would be nice cause he is still relatively young, but if not it isn't a huge loss.

A 6th round pick is not ideal as a return for Holl, but given a down year where he's become our 7th d-man, there could be wavering confidence amongst NHL GMs if he can return to his 2021 form or if he's just destined as a bottom pair d-man. While ideally we could fetch a 5th (Toronto trading for Ben Hutton in 2021), or even 4th considering Holl is better than Hutton, his cap hit at 2 mill is a bit of a risk. CBJ can easily afford his cap hit, but a 6th for the return for Holl is as high as I can reasonably guess.
CBJ
  1. Holl, Justin
Additional Details:
Blue Jackets have a very young blue line with a lot of great talents, however they've struggled defensively all of last season. Gavrikov was the true standout for the team in their own end, and for a blue line with so many talented young offensive players like Boqvist, Bean, and Werenski on the blue line, Holl would do well in a 2nd or 3rd pair role on the team.

He'd instantly be one of the better defensive players on the blue line, and despite suffering the wrath of much of Toronto's fanbase over the last year, he's shown he is capable of being a very solid top 4 d-man (as recently as a season ago), and his AA this past season still post him as a very good NHL player.

With the trade for Mathieu Olivier, it looks like the window has shut on Stenlund in Columbus, and as a 25 year old that Columbus likely sees as expendable and someone they won't bring back, the cost of sending him away would be considered marginal to them.

The 6th round pick CBJ is sending is honestly a very low cost for Holl. Just 1 season ago Leafs fans would never trade Holl because of how team friendly his contract was. Despite a down year, Holl is still an NHL level defenseman, Toronto just has younger better options and can't justify paying their 7th d-man 2 million a year.

Holl is also someone (on the last year of his deal) that would be perfect for Columbus to move at the trade deadline especially if they retain 50%. Holl at 1 mill for a contending team as a legit 5th or 6th d-man, potentially even 4th, could fetch Columbus a much more premium pick than the one they're giving up to Toronto in this trade.
TOR
  1. Bobrovsky, Sergei ($5,000,000 retained)
  2. Samoskevich, Mackie [Reserve List]
  3. 2023 2nd round pick (FLA)
Additional Details:
It's been reported that the Panthers desperately want to get off of Bobrovsky's contract even if it means eating half his salary. I'm unsure if Bobrovsky would waive his NMC to come to Toronto, but if he did, Toronto would be wise to get some asset. This is an easy way for Toronto to

a) get a starting calibre goalie at a relatively reasonable price
b) not give up assets or even gain assets in doing so

With the moves of Holl, Kerfoot and Mrazek and watching Mikheyev leave in FA, Toronto has the cap space now after all the moves and signings to take on Bobrovsky's 5M AAV for 5 years outright.
FLA
    I think Florida would be ecstatic to only give up a 2nd, and Samoskevich in order to get an extra 5 million in cap space for the next 5 years now in order to try and bring back their key players. (No Lundell or Knight having to be moved, no multiple picks + prospects).

There is the point from others that maybe FLA doesn't need to attach a pick or prospect to Bobrovsky much less two, however I'm in the belief that most teams aren't in the position where they're just going to help Florida out for free. Tampa paid a 2nd to get off Johnson's 5M X 3, Toronto will use a 2nd to get off Mrazek's 3.9 x 3, Philly used a 2nd to get off Ghost 4.5 X 2.

The reality is that Florida is trying to dump 5 mill a year of Bob's contract for the next 5 seasons to save themselves money. So to get a team to help you out, the starting price is gonna be a 2nd round pick especially since you're negotiating from a point of weakness. You're the team with 1 pick in the first 2 rounds for the next 3 years and have a team that's ready to win now with multiple free agents and no money to sign them.

So if the going rate for taking on 4+ mill a year is a 2nd + change, term then comes into question. Ghost, Mrazek and Johnson are all 2 or 3 year deals when they got moved, Bobrovsky has about double the term at 5. Add to the fact the number of teams FLA can even trade to is limited due to Bob's NMC, if Toronto is one of the few teams he's willing to waive his NMC for, FLA would be hard-pressed not to give up at least 2 decently valuable assets imo in order to clear that 5 mill in cap.
    TOR
      Tyler Johnson 3 Team Trade - Double Retention
      ARI
      1. Johnson, Tyler
      2. 2023 5th round pick (TOR)
      Additional Details:
      Tyler Johnson 3 Team Trade - Double Retention
      Price likely between the 4th Toronto paid in the Foligno double retain and the 6th CAR paid for the Domi double retain
      DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the WPG
      Logo of the CAR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the FLA
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the CAR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the CBJ
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
      21$82,500,000$81,443,116$212,500$0$1,056,884
      Left WingCentreRight Wing
      Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
      $950,000$950,000
      LW
      UFA - 1
      $11,640,250$11,640,250
      C
      UFA - 2
      $10,903,000$10,903,000
      RW
      UFA - 3
      $2,000,000$2,000,000
      LW, C
      UFA - 1
      $11,000,000$11,000,000
      C, LW
      NMC
      UFA - 3
      $6,962,366$6,962,366
      RW
      UFA - 2
      $1,500,000$1,500,000
      C, RW
      UFA - 2
      $1,500,000$1,500,000
      C
      UFA - 1
      $2,000,000$2,000,000
      RW, LW
      UFA - 1
      $900,000$900,000
      RW, LW
      M-NTC
      UFA - 1
      Johnson, Tyler
      $1,250,000$1,250,000
      $1,500,000$1,500,000
      RW
      UFA - 1
      Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
      $7,500,000$7,500,000
      LD
      NMC
      UFA - 8
      $1,650,000$1,650,000
      RD
      UFA - 2
      Logo of the Florida Panthers
      $5,000,000$5,000,000
      G
      NMC
      UFA - 4
      $5,625,000$5,625,000
      LD
      NTC
      UFA - 2
      $5,000,000$5,000,000
      LD/RD
      NTC
      UFA - 2
      $750,000$750,000
      G
      UFA - 1
      $800,000$800,000
      LD
      UFA - 2
      $1,400,000$1,400,000
      RD
      RFA - 2
      ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
      $1,400,000$1,400,000
      LD
      UFA - 2
      Taxi Squad
      $762,500$762,500 ($0$0$0$0)
      LW
      UFA - 2
      $1,000,000$1,000,000 ($0$0$0$0)
      C, RW
      UFA - 1
      $995,000$995,000 ($0$0$0$0)
      C, RW
      UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
      • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
      Jul. 3, 2022 at 8:20 p.m.
      FanOfAllTeams
      Car accepts
      ryanma260 liked this.
      Jul. 3, 2022 at 9:06 p.m.
      I’d take that if I’m Columbus, but Holl would likely be the 3rd pair with Bean. Peeke with Werenski and Boqvist with Gavrikov, Blankenburg would be the 7th D.
      ryanma260, Konkarsson and Viqsi liked this.
      Jul. 3, 2022 at 9:09 p.m.
      I would hope if they move Kerfoot... that they could get more than a 3rd/5th for a guy who had 51 points.

I like the thought process you put into everything. Besides more value for Kerfoot, only critique would be Rodrigues. I think he signs for more than 2 mil unfortunately for the Leafs. Would be a nice add though
      ryanma260 liked this.
      Jul. 3, 2022 at 9:21 p.m.
      Ryanma260
      Quoting: Survivorking77
      I would hope if they move Kerfoot... that they could get more than a 3rd/5th for a guy who had 51 points.

I like the thought process you put into everything. Besides more value for Kerfoot, only critique would be Rodrigues. I think he signs for more than 2 mil unfortunately for the Leafs. Would be a nice add though

Yeah, I think with Rodrigues is he had a super hot start to the season but went ice cold around January, so my mindset is some teams might be wary of him because so much of his production was from the beginning of the year. Plus his linemates were really good right, so it's like, is he breaking out, or are his linemates elevating him and he had a hot stretch? I think Rodrigues is probably in that 2 - 2.75 per year range but I made sure that there was enough cap left to sign him up to a cap hit of 3 Mill AAV.

In regards to Kerfoot, I agree, I'd like a 2nd round pick for him but I don't want to over-estimate how much we can get. Andreas Johnsson had 43 in 73 and 21 in 43 in his last 2 seasons with us, but we had cap issues and we ended up moving him to NJD for Joey Anderson who had the equivalent value of probably a 3rd round pick. Just a conservative prediction on my part.
      Jul. 3, 2022 at 10:27 p.m.
      Are Arizona taking 2.5m or 1.25m for the 2 years? The 5th seems a little light. For CHI, its not a bad move obtaining the picks, the prospect would be negotiable but the 3rd team retaining is imperative as we likely wouldn't want TJ taking up a retention slot.
      ryanma260 liked this.
      Jul. 4, 2022 at 8:59 a.m.
      Ryanma260
      Quoting: Aussie_Blackhawk
      Are Arizona taking 2.5m or 1.25m for the 2 years? The 5th seems a little light. For CHI, its not a bad move obtaining the picks, the prospect would be negotiable but the 3rd team retaining is imperative as we likely wouldn't want TJ taking up a retention slot.

CHI would retain 2.5 and ARZ would retain 1.25. In my mind, the 2nd + "7th" is to take Mrazek, and then Joey Anderson + "moving up 2 rounds to the 5th" is to retain on Tyler Johnson's deal. The prospect is probably negotiable, Toronto won't give up any of their top tier prospects in a deal like this, but someone like Mikhail Abramov or SDA would be available instead of Anderson, both younger with probably a higher upside.
      Jul. 4, 2022 at 9:47 a.m.
      In Zito We Trust
      Panthers instantly decline lol. Bob at 5M has positive value, not giving up a good prospect and a high pick to retain 20 million on a good starting goalie.
      ryanma260 liked this.
      Jul. 4, 2022 at 1:15 p.m.
      Ryanma260
      Quoting: VijayPatel11
      Panthers instantly decline lol. Bob at 5M has positive value, not giving up a good prospect and a high pick to retain 20 million on a good starting goalie.

If you read my explanation, does Bob really have positive value? Of course you could be right, but I'm not a GM and neither are you so we can only really speculate right? In my mind, Bob is still a negative asset for these reasons:

#1 He has a full NMC, you're not shipping him to a team unless he wants to go. That alone loses you tons of leverage, you realistically have a small handful of teams that he would willingly leave Florida for. You can't just dump him to ARZ, it has to be a team that is ready to win, in a city he likes more than FLA or enough to uproot his life, and an organization that will stand behind him.

#2 You're retaining 20 million, but you're also getting rid of 20 million. How bad do you want to get rid of him? Teams aren't lining up to help FLA re-sign their star players and depth for another playoff run. You're the team that needs to stay competitive because you've spent all your picks and have no money to do so. Toronto can go after John Gibson, Kuemper, Husso, Stolarz, Holtby, Jack Campbell in FA/Trade, as do all these other teams that need a goalie. Florida? You have 3 mill in cap with multiple big free agents this year with both Weegar and Huberdeau asking for a max next season. That's an additional 8 - 10 mill you need to find for next season. Teams know Florida has their back against the wall, they can clear Hornqvist but that's not going to be enough to bring back Chiarot, Giroux not to mention Spencer Knight will want a raise as well next year (Carter Hart contract?)

So while I agree with you, that Florida totally could find a team that needs a goalie badly (like Toronto) and get value for him, I think that while Toronto and other teams looking for Goalies are willing to wait, Florida doesn't. (That's why I have this tade happening last) Imagine this offseason is coming to a close, all these teams have a goalie now that they've convinced themselves they're comfortable going into the season with, and FLA still hasn't moved Bobrovsky. Then you simply just might not be able to move him, because teams with cap that can afford him are usually bad so he won't waive his NMC, and good teams that might want him, already addressed goalie and probably don't have the cap to take him. If you swallow his contract this year and wait for next year, then there will be a definite cost next offseason to move him because now teams see you need to trade him to bring back Huberdeau and Weegar.

It really depends how the goalie market plays out, I have an idea of how I think it will turn out, and it's different from yours. I don't think you're wrong just like idk I'm right, but I think it'll be interesting to see how Florida deals with his contract. If Bob didn't have a NMC, I'd actually be inclined to agree that you could get assets for him but with that NMC... idk. I'm just not sure.
      Jul. 4, 2022 at 6:29 p.m.
      Quoting: ryanma260
      CHI would retain 2.5 and ARZ would retain 1.25. In my mind, the 2nd + "7th" is to take Mrazek, and then Joey Anderson + "moving up 2 rounds to the 5th" is to retain on Tyler Johnson's deal. The prospect is probably negotiable, Toronto won't give up any of their top tier prospects in a deal like this, but someone like Mikhail Abramov or SDA would be available instead of Anderson, both younger with probably a higher upside.

Could become messy for us when looking to retain Kane and Toews plus any moves we may look to make at the TDL. The slot becomes more valuable for us when we take all that on board. Not saying this is bad in value, we would just need to be aware of what the plans are moving forward and have a couple of contingencies in place. I wouldn't be quick to pull the trigger on a TJ move where we retain due to this.
      ryanma260 liked this.
      Jul. 4, 2022 at 6:54 p.m.
      Ryanma260
      Could become messy for us when looking to retain Kane and Toews plus any moves we may look to make at the TDL. The slot becomes more valuable for us when we take all that on board. Not saying this is bad in value, we would just need to be aware of what the plans are moving forward and have a couple of contingencies in place. I wouldn't be quick to pull the trigger on a TJ move where we retain due to this.

I didn't think about that to be honest when I was first making these trades. I think it depends on what deals you get done this offseason with guys like Debrincat, Strome, and Kubalik. I think if you move on from those guys in moves or sign and trades in the offseason that the Tyler Johnson deal would still be viable right? But if you for example, still have DeBrincat, Toews and Kane at the deadline, you'd want all 3 of those retention slots for those 3 guys to maximize the value you can get for them.

I just really need someone to take Mrazek at this point so I'd do this trade without Tyler Johnson tbh LOLLLLLLL
      Aussie_Blackhawk liked this.
      Jul. 4, 2022 at 7:36 p.m.
      I didn't think about that to be honest when I was first making these trades. I think it depends on what deals you get done this offseason with guys like Debrincat, Strome, and Kubalik. I think if you move on from those guys in moves or sign and trades in the offseason that the Tyler Johnson deal would still be viable right? But if you for example, still have DeBrincat, Toews and Kane at the deadline, you'd want all 3 of those retention slots for those 3 guys to maximize the value you can get for them.

I just really need someone to take Mrazek at this point so I'd do this trade without Tyler Johnson tbh LOLLLLLLL

TBH, we probably take Mrazek for a 2nd + prospect. Could probably get Strome's rights (if you want/need) at a reasonable price depending on how many teams are looking at him
      ryanma260 liked this.
      Jul. 5, 2022 at 12:38 a.m.
      Ryanma260
      TBH, we probably take Mrazek for a 2nd + prospect. Could probably get Strome's rights (if you want/need) at a reasonable price depending on how many teams are looking at him

Honestly, if we somehow got Strome in a sign and trade from you guys on like a cheaper contract (say around what I have us paying Evan Rodrigues, like that 2.5 - 3 mill year on decent term like 3+ years), I'd honestly give up a guy like Dmitri Ovichinnikov to you guys who I rate super highly as a prospect. I don't know if Strome would cap his value like that tho, I feel like he could probably get more in FA, esp since he had like nearly 50 points last year. It sucks being a fan of team under a cap crunch, honestly just makes things so difficult. Also do you got discord lol, I'm in a server with a ton of pretty hardcore hockey fans if you wanna join.
      Jul. 5, 2022 at 2:26 a.m.
      Honestly, if we somehow got Strome in a sign and trade from you guys on like a cheaper contract (say around what I have us paying Evan Rodrigues, like that 2.5 - 3 mill year on decent term like 3+ years), I'd honestly give up a guy like Dmitri Ovichinnikov to you guys who I rate super highly as a prospect. I don't know if Strome would cap his value like that tho, I feel like he could probably get more in FA, esp since he had like nearly 50 points last year. It sucks being a fan of team under a cap crunch, honestly just makes things so difficult. Also do you got discord lol, I'm in a server with a ton of pretty hardcore hockey fans if you wanna join.

Sorry had to head out so didn't get the invite. I do have discord but yeah I feel Stromer would a bigger clip in FA. I also know the pain your going through, we had to give up some good assets to save on cap over the years but we did win 3 cups so can't complain really.
      ryanma260 liked this.
      Jul. 5, 2022 at 7:48 p.m.
      Ryanma260
      Sorry had to head out so didn't get the invite. I do have discord but yeah I feel Stromer would a bigger clip in FA. I also know the pain your going through, we had to give up some good assets to save on cap over the years but we did win 3 cups so can't complain really.

Ayo bet, join Tundra Cabin on discord lol. I think you can find us on Disboard. If you search hockey we should be the 8th or 9th server on there. And yeah y’all were elite during that stretch, I’m hella jealous of those teams 😭

To create a post please Login or Register
      Question:
      Options:
      Add Option
      Submit Poll