Forums/Armchair-GM

Thinking Out Loud

Created by: bass8151
Team: 2022-23 Carolina Hurricanes
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 4, 2022
Published: Jul. 4, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Edit: This description is a book, it was not intended to be this long. Sorry in advance...

To start please don't read into exact value. This is just doing mental math, I could see more or less going in any of these trade and try to make somewhat educated guesses. But gauging value in todays NHL is pretty hard honestly lol.

To start trades:

Arizona trade: Cap space move, is what it is. Like Martinook, that dollar sign is too much, and opening up cap space should be a minor goal this offseason. Gardiner is just to get out of LTIR space.

Edmonton trade: I like Puljujarvi, and if he is being shopped I like the fit on Carolina. Not as THE solution to some of the problems, but a solution and already a great defensive fit on the Staal line to replace Nino leaving. Raanta in the trade is hard, but I think with the oilers goalie situation, and if it doesn't work out right with free agency, I think he would be a good fit there and for cap reasons it works. If not I think the trade could go either way with a pick on JP. That was the reported amount to. Skylar Brind'Amour is just a bit of a meme but he is the coaches son so *shrugs*

Chicago trade: The whopper. Alright the value is a bit hard to determine, I read from Lazerus the other day that the trade would look somewhat similar to that of the recent Kevin Fiala trade. I think this would be a massive help to the Canes and would be a great fit. You can have a one two punch of DeBrincat Aho Teravainen and Svechnikov KK Jarvis. (Please keep your opinions about KK to yourselves, this isn't a discussion about him) the value of that for a contender should be great, and should make it harder for many teams to defend. I would pay a kings ransom for him and would be more than happy to see a high money contract given to him.

Los Angeles trade: Pure salary cap. The Forth Period (a very 50/50 source all things considered) claims the Kings are interested in Skjei, and if that is the case sure, I think this works out in everyone's favor. It opens up bringing in people I like.

Toronto trade: I like Sandin, he is young and can play. From what I can tell, he doesn't want to sign in Toronto, if that is the case I would thoroughly enjoy him here. He is a great defenseman now who is only going to get better, and I think he would be a great fit as a powerplay qb.

Stars trade: This is just a placeholder team. He would be a fit as a second third pair guy doing what he is most capable of being offensive and not defensive. Keep him in his element of Ozone draws and powerplays.

Colorado trade: This would be an interesting idea imo. Canes are done with Necas, I dont think there is much of a chance he comes back, and they want to move him for a defenseman. I think Bear is done as well here (I think he is going to develop into a really good player). Avalanche following their cup run are going to likely lose two of Kadri, Manson, or Nichushkin. I think that Bear and Necas could be replacements albeit not one for one replacements. I think Manson is gone no matter what, so Bear can step in on the second or third pair. Necas can build to fill the hole at center if Kadri goes, or Nichuskin if goes he can fill in that slot on wing. I think Girard is a fit here, he can play his offside, so he can slot in with Slavin, or can play his strong side and play alongside Pesce. (I think this is the case with Rasmus Sandin as well, could bring a nice competition between the two.) However this helps the avs shed 5 mil in one player (granted Necas and Bear probably make up more than 5 between the two) it fits a need for both, but this one was really just spit balling.

Onto free agents/re-signed players:

Steven Lorentz: I like Lorentz, he is a reliable forth line player, he is probably at his ceiling but that is okay, sometimes you don't mind a guy whose upside is just being good in his own end and can put up the random goal. I don't think there is a loss here.

Stefan Noesen: Had a phenomenal AHL season, don't mind bringing him back as a 13/14th forward option. He isn't the second coming of Seth Jarvis, but he is good. (This is a joke, if you know, you know.)

Joey Keane: In this scenario he is the 8th d option, but he has upside and could potentially make the lineup night one. His game has improved over the last few seasons in the AHL so I wouldn't mind him being the guy on the third pair.

Callie Jarnkrok: Great depth player option. I'm not sure if Carolina could bring him in, as well as for that contract, but I like the fit a lot.

Nikita Zadorov: Has his major flaws, not offensively gifted, but has a edge. He has some pace, and that is a major improvement over the last gritty defensemen.

Troy Stecher: I like his game, has pace and is smart offensively. I think he would be a great fit in the 7d role, he could step in any night, and with his injury concerns you don't over excerpt him.

Promotions:

Jack Drury: Fantastic kid, dude can play and is going to be a difference maker next season. He will be in 4th line role to start the season but will definitely compete for a spot higher in the lineup. I don't think there is much discussion about this topic.

Jalen Chatfield: Gritty guy with pace. I think he earned his extension, and is going to be playing for the team next year in that third pairing role.

Pyotr Kotechkov: No discussion needed, goalie of the future, has an elite compete and is feisty, hard not to love the kid. (Who has never been drunk before, another joke)

I hope this is a good description and at least explains the thought process behind these moves. All, some, or none of them may happen, but in my thinking through of this it made the most sense to me. The only thing I had issue with is the lack of right handed centers and defenseman. But I like this lineup, I think it both improves the team while also replacing depth pieces that are gone too.

So please feel free to call me an idiot or something in the comments now, cause I already know this will probably make someone mad :)
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$850,000
3$3,250,000
2$2,500,000
2$975,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$4,000,000
2$1,250,000
1$1,500,000
1$750,000
1$750,000
Trades
CAR
    future considerations
    ARI
    1. Gardiner, Jake
    2. Martinook, Jordan
    3. 2023 2nd round pick (CAR)
    CAR
    1. Brind'Amour, Skyler [Reserve List]
    2. Puljujärvi, Jesse [RFA Rights]
    EDM
    1. Raanta, Antti
    2. 2022 3rd round pick (CHI)
    CHI
    1. Bokk, Dominik
    2. Honka, Anttoni [Reserve List]
    3. 2022 5th round pick (CAR)
    4. 2023 1st round pick (CAR)
    5. 2024 3rd round pick (CAR)
    CAR
    1. 2023 3rd round pick (LAK)
    CAR
    1. Sandin, Rasmus [RFA Rights]
    TOR
    1. Lafontaine, Jack [RFA Rights]
    2. 2022 6th round pick (ANA)
    3. 2023 3rd round pick (LAK)
    4. 2024 7th round pick (CAR)
    CAR
    1. 2023 2nd round pick (DAL)
    DAL
    1. Deangelo, Anthony [RFA Rights]
    Additional Details:
    Any team.
    COL
    1. Bear, Ethan [RFA Rights]
    2. Necas, Martin [RFA Rights]
    3. 2023 2nd round pick (DAL)
    4. 2024 4th round pick (CAR)
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the CBJ
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the CAR
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    22$82,500,000$77,291,917$112,500$582,500$5,208,083
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
    $6,400,000$6,400,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes
    $8,460,250$8,460,250
    C
    UFA - 2
    $894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
    RW
    RFA - 2
    $7,750,000$7,750,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 7
    $4,820,000$4,820,000
    C
    UFA - 8
    $5,400,000$5,400,000
    LW, RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $2,000,000$2,000,000
    RW
    UFA - 1
    $6,000,000$6,000,000
    C, LW
    NMC
    UFA - 1
    $3,250,000$3,250,000
    RW
    UFA - 1
    $850,000$850,000
    C, LW, RW
    UFA - 2
    $925,000$925,000
    C
    RFA - 2
    $1,250,000$1,250,000
    RW, C, LW
    UFA - 4
    $750,000$750,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 2
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $5,300,000$5,300,000
    LD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 3
    Logo of the Colorado Avalanche
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 5
    $4,500,000$4,500,000
    G
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $2,500,000$2,500,000
    LD
    UFA - 2
    $4,025,000$4,025,000
    RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $842,500$842,500 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
    G
    UFA - 1
    $4,000,000$4,000,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 2
    $762,500$762,500
    RD
    UFA - 2
    $1,500,000$1,500,000
    RD
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Jul. 4, 2022 at 9:51 p.m.
    Leafs aren't trading Sandin unless it is a part of getting a super star or another really good young player.

Where did you read that he doesn't want to sign in Toronto?
    Jul. 4, 2022 at 9:56 p.m.
    Trading away Raanta and banking on Koochie isn’t a good idea.

Skjei has really good value.

That Colorado trade makes very little sense for us

Debrincat will get more than that

Arizona will likely ask for a lot more to eat that much money
    Jul. 4, 2022 at 9:57 p.m.
    bass8151
    Quoting: TMLBRIAN
    Leafs aren't trading Sandin unless it is a part of getting a super star or another really good young player.

Where did you read that he doesn't want to sign in Toronto?

It is the vibe I got from Friedman on SN590 today, quote listed in this article here Linked here Hard to know what the direction is there. But I think you are right about being able to get a lot for him, this NHL offseason is going to be weird, so I can see someone getting a lot or little for guys like him.
    Jul. 4, 2022 at 10:02 p.m.
    Leafs would get more for Sandin elsewhere. Even just leaving him to be offer sheeted for a 2nd wouldn't be a big loss over this return.
    Jul. 4, 2022 at 10:03 p.m.
    bass8151
    Quoting: ecupirate07
    Trading away Raanta and banking on Koochie isn’t a good idea.

Skjei has really good value.

That Colorado trade makes very little sense for us

Debrincat will get more than that

Arizona will likely ask for a lot more to eat that much money

He can play in the NHL, I also listed that that one is fine either way, just makes a bit of sense for both sides, if Raanta stays, a pick gets JP.

The Colorado trade makes sense when you consider you need someone to replace big minutes, and fills a need. He play exceptionally well in the absence of Devon Toews, and Cale Makar in the few games they missed this year. Girard can play, and getting put with a high quality more defensive guy should make him flourish. He deserves minutes, and he would certainly get them here.

Maybe, Lazerus said a source told them to expect a return in the Fiala level, I find that insane, but since that is a trusted reporter with that organization I ran with it, would be more than open to trading more for him. I really debated about throwing Suzuki in to leverage that higher value.

Maybe, maybe not. Arizona is a bit of a placeholder team and I should have listed that. If Ben Bishop and a seventh was the trade to get rid of him for Dallas' sake I can see it working out to where a second is good value for a combined 6 mil in cap space. But again *shrugs* the value on cap space is a bit bewildering at times.
    Jul. 4, 2022 at 10:04 p.m.
    bass8151
    Quoting: Byrr
    Leafs would get more for Sandin elsewhere. Even just leaving him to be offer sheeted for a 2nd wouldn't be a big loss over this return.

Completely fair! I think there is value there for him, and if it took a second, I would be fine with that. That was just a guesstament but the feedback is helpful thanks!
    Jul. 4, 2022 at 10:08 p.m.
    Quoting: bass8151
    He can play in the NHL, I also listed that that one is fine either way, just makes a bit of sense for both sides, if Raanta stays, a pick gets JP.

The Colorado trade makes sense when you consider you need someone to replace big minutes, and fills a need. He play exceptionally well in the absence of Devon Toews, and Cale Makar in the few games they missed this year. Girard can play, and getting put with a high quality more defensive guy should make him flourish. He deserves minutes, and he would certainly get them here.

Yes kooch can play but he still needs development especially with puck tracking on long shots and efficiency of motion. He needs more time to cook in the AHL getting as many starts as possible

Girard is little and gets pushed around a ton. He doesnt play big like TDA does. We already struggle with getting pushed around. He doesnt provide enough offense to warrant the 1RD spot either.
    Jul. 4, 2022 at 10:18 p.m.
    bass8151
    Quoting: ecupirate07
    Yes kooch can play but he still needs development especially with puck tracking on long shots and efficiency of motion. He needs more time to cook in the AHL getting as many starts as possible

Girard is little and gets pushed around a ton. He doesnt play big like TDA does. We already struggle with getting pushed around. He doesnt provide enough offense to warrant the 1RD spot either.

Maybe, I think it is fair to say some seasoning wouldn't hurt, I dont think it is a bad idea by anymeans.

Fair enough, that is why I also had Sandin in the mix. One of the two of them will generate the offense needed. I don't think size is an issue per say, its as long as you know how to avoid it being a problem. Guys like Bean had issues with it, Girard gets pushed around some yes, but its not enough to fully warrant concern in my book.
    Jul. 4, 2022 at 10:29 p.m.
    I think the move is light for CHI to consider. that 1st is slated to be late in the round and the prospects aren't high end enough to part with Cat,
    bass8151 liked this.
    Jul. 4, 2022 at 10:33 p.m.
    bass8151
    Quoting: Aussie_Blackhawk
    I think the move is light for CHI to consider. that 1st is slated to be late in the round and the prospects aren't high end enough to part with Cat,

Fair enough! I think it would make sense to throw someone like Suzuki in if that were the case. Unfortunately the canes don't have many top tier prospects so that is why I leaned a bit more into the average level and more picks, giving the hawks a lot of darts and hope one hits. (I think Honka will turn out to be a solid defenseman honestly) I like Bokk's shot its dangerous, he just really needs someone to hammer into him to play a complete game, or at the very least give an effort to. It would be hard for the Canes to beat a team like NJ in this regard tho.
    Jul. 4, 2022 at 10:47 p.m.
    Quoting: bass8151
    Fair enough! I think it would make sense to throw someone like Suzuki in if that were the case. Unfortunately the canes don't have many top tier prospects so that is why I leaned a bit more into the average level and more picks, giving the hawks a lot of darts and hope one hits. (I think Honka will turn out to be a solid defenseman honestly) I like Bokk's shot its dangerous, he just really needs someone to hammer into him to play a complete game, or at the very least give an effort to. It would be hard for the Canes to beat a team like NJ in this regard tho.

I think Hawks would look towards Morrow and perhaps Necas as key pieces to any potential move personally but I agree it will be tough for the canes with the other teams in the mix being able to offer better futures.
    Jul. 4, 2022 at 10:48 p.m.
    Once a Kings Fan Too
    We can't afford to acquire Brady Skjei for a draft pick. At least $4 million in cap has to go back.
    Jul. 4, 2022 at 10:56 p.m.
    Lets Get Kraken
    If the Canes are shopping Skjei, they will be getting a lot more than what they payed to acquire him. They paid a first when his play was in the dumps, and now that his play is really good, Canes can get at least the equivalent of 2 firsts for him. And yeesh, that package for DeBrincat is nowhere close to even being realistic.
    Jul. 4, 2022 at 11:00 p.m.
    bass8151
    Quoting: OldNYIfan
    We can't afford to acquire Brady Skjei for a draft pick. At least $4 million in cap has to go back.

Fair enough. There maybe could be a third party team involved. Not sure if anyone can fit in the need at that cap hit going Car way. Unless the kings trade someone to another team ofc
    Jul. 4, 2022 at 11:03 p.m.
    bass8151
    Quoting: evelutions2
    If the Canes are shopping Skjei, they will be getting a lot more than what they payed to acquire him. They paid a first when his play was in the dumps, and now that his play is really good, Canes can get at least the equivalent of 2 firsts for him. And yeesh, that package for DeBrincat is nowhere close to even being realistic.

They get capspace to make other moves. Unfortunately, i doubt you can get anywhere close to that and if you move him its for upgrades.

The Debrincat seems a bit odd, but lazerus said it will take around what the kings gave up for Fiala. Id def give up more for him. That was my biggest spitball honestly.
    Jul. 4, 2022 at 11:04 p.m.
    bass8151
    Quoting: Aussie_Blackhawk
    I think Hawks would look towards Morrow and perhaps Necas as key pieces to any potential move personally but I agree it will be tough for the canes with the other teams in the mix being able to offer better futures.

I think thats a fair ask. I’d love to keep morrow, but if thats what it takes to get Cat, I would be happy doing it. Especially if the canes break tradition and pay their players.
    Aussie_Blackhawk liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll