Forums/Armchair-GM

Duck Foug Armstrong

Created by: aldore
Team: 2022-23 St. Louis Blues
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 13, 2022
Published: Jul. 13, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Usually I stand by this GM a lot. Today, he has done almost everything to disappoint me. At least we got Thomas locked up.

When you sign an older FA, I guess you’re hoping they will bring positive value for the whole contract or at least what you consider your window.

I wouldn’t have signed Nick Leddy to a 1 year 4m contract let alone 4x4. That’s atrocious. The worst contract Doug has ever signed. And that’s saying something considering how bad all these long term deals are gonna look in 4 years.

David Perron signed for 4.75x2. The impact that would have had on the team over leddy is insane. We dropped several points in the standings by losing Perron alone. Great defensive impact. The sole reason our Powerplay was good. He wanted to stay and we could give him 2x4.75??? Ridiculous.

Thomas griess was our choice for backup? He was so bad the last several years. I would have rather had chucky sideburns. When some like like comrie, who had a .915 in 20 games on a bad defensive Winnipeg last year signed for 1.8?? Terrible signing.

Accari ain’t the worst thing in the world. I don’t mind having someone like him as our 4C although I still think there was better options out there.

Overall, our team is definitely going to be worse than it was last year, and the future outlook is much worse with leddy and scandella on the books for the next two years. And leddy for 4. Not a good day to be a blues fan.
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
21$82,500,000$70,625,000$1,100,000$250,000$11,875,000
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the St. Louis Blues
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, RW
NTC
UFA - 4
$1,875,000$1,875,000
C
UFA - 1
$3,750,000$3,750,000
RW
NTC
UFA - 1
$5,800,000$5,800,000
LW, RW, C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$2,800,000$2,800,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$2,800,000$2,800,000
RW
UFA - 1
$2,250,000$2,250,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$6,500,000$6,500,000
C, LW
NTC
UFA - 6
$762,500$762,500
RW, C
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
LW
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
C, LW
RFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$6,500,000$6,500,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 5
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 5
$6,000,000$6,000,000
G
NTC
UFA - 5
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 4
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 8
$1,250,000$1,250,000 (Performance Bonus$250,000$250K)
G
UFA - 1
$3,275,000$3,275,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$950,000$950,000
RD
UFA - 2
$762,500$762,500
LD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$750,000$750,000
LW, RW
RFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jul. 13, 2022 at 4:06 p.m.
1 Perron wanted 5.5-6M AAV on 3 years, 2 Greiss yeah I don't understand, 3 if we signed Perron guess who goes out the door? Kyrou's extension and a future trade acquisition that could happen.
tstrauss16 and drewep liked this.
Jul. 13, 2022 at 4:19 p.m.
aldore
Quoting: Shylo_Moxii
1 Perron wanted 5.5-6M AAV on 3 years, 2 Greiss yeah I don't understand, 3 if we signed Perron guess who goes out the door? Kyrou's extension and a future trade acquisition that could happen.

Are you sure? He signed in Detroit at 2x4.75. Also, why would that go out the door? It would be one year of 4.75 harder than it was. Not it’s 3 years of 4M harder. We basically said, you know what’s fun? Having scandella and his contract weigh us down, let’s do it again!
Jul. 13, 2022 at 4:20 p.m.
we still could trade Scandella and sign a forward like Heinen,Janmark,Jarnkrok. But yeah overall not a great day
aldore liked this.
Jul. 13, 2022 at 4:21 p.m.

yeah Perron leaving sucks, but the moves today were designed to keep around Thomas and Kyrou for sure. Leddy isn't a horrible deal, he did play well for the Blues when he joined the team. He is a good partner for Parayko in all honesty and the options for that were very slim without moving a lot to acquire a LD through trade. Scandella is hopefully moved at the TDL or next offseason. Blues still need to sign Kostin, Perunovich, and Mikkola. It won't be as bad as you think it will be. We are putting a lot of trust in our future with Thomas and Kyrou, but hopefully it all works out.
Shylo_Moxii and drewep liked this.
Jul. 13, 2022 at 4:22 p.m.
Quoting: aldore
Are you sure? He signed in Detroit at 2x4.75. Also, why would that go out the door? It would be one year of 4.75 harder than it was. Not it’s 3 years of 4M harder. We basically said, you know what’s fun? Having scandella and his contract weigh us down, let’s do it again!

Detroit got 2 years for 4.75 not 3. Blues wanted 3, Perron wanted 5.5-6 for 3 years. Because that contract restricts what we have
Jul. 13, 2022 at 4:23 p.m.
aldore
Quoting: Blues4TheCup
we still could trade Scandella and sign a forward like Heinen,Janmark,Jarnkrok. But yeah overall not a great day

You gotta hope that’s his plan but still, Perunovich just lost his chance to develop and become the top 4 guy we want him to be. He’s got a 4m player that will cost assets to trade in front of him for 4 years. Our defense got more expensive and worse.
tetrablues33, Azz_Aidz and rja40 liked this.
Jul. 13, 2022 at 4:25 p.m.
PlayGloria
Completely agree. Usually BDD is a mastermind, today though? Master disaster.

Still holding on that he has something cooking up his sleeve, but if not...yikes.
aldore and Azz_Aidz liked this.
Jul. 13, 2022 at 4:28 p.m.
aldore
Quoting: tstrauss16
yeah Perron leaving sucks, but the moves today were designed to keep around Thomas and Kyrou for sure. Leddy isn't a horrible deal, he did play well for the Blues when he joined the team. He is a good partner for Parayko in all honesty and the options for that were very slim without moving a lot to acquire a LD through trade. Scandella is hopefully moved at the TDL or next offseason. Blues still need to sign Kostin, Perunovich, and Mikkola. It won't be as bad as you think it will be. We are putting a lot of trust in our future with Thomas and Kyrou, but hopefully it all works out.

I don’t see how signing leddy helps us keep those guys while signing Perron is like a deal breaker in keeping them. And leddy was not good. His playoff xG% was 36%. The other team score 64% more often when he was on the ice. That’s not good. He played good the first game of the playoffs and after that was terrible imo. He is not a good partner for parayko, we need someone who can help him shut down other teams. Leddy doesn’t play a lick of defense. He will get exploited when they try and use them against top lines. It also takes a future spot away from Perunovich in the future or we’ll have a 4M bottom pairing trashcan in years 2-4. And who said the blues wanted 3 and wouldn’t adjust that. Seems unrealistic to me.
Jul. 13, 2022 at 4:28 p.m.
Detroit got 2 years for 4.75 not 3. Blues wanted 3, Perron wanted 5.5-6 for 3 years. Because that contract restricts what we have

you don't make any sense here. The Blues were dumb not to resign Perron at 2 years and $4.75M. Usually they don't do dumb things though so gotta believe there is another move coming. The Blues now have 8 NHL dmen - Parayko, Krug, Faulk, Leddy, Mikkola, Scandella, Perrunovich, Bortuzzo. Someone is going somewhere. I still don't think Tarasenko is on the team when season starts either.
aldore and Azz_Aidz liked this.
Jul. 13, 2022 at 4:31 p.m.
aldore
Quoting: noted
you don't make any sense here. The Blues were dumb not to resign Perron at 2 years and $4.75M. Usually they don't do dumb things though so gotta believe there is another move coming. The Blues now have 8 NHL dmen - Parayko, Krug, Faulk, Leddy, Mikkola, Scandella, Perrunovich, Bortuzzo. Someone is going somewhere. I still don't think Tarasenko is on the team when season starts either.

Agree with this. And I think it’s smart to move tarasenko, altought now you lost two top 6 RWs if he’s moved. Not sure why we didn’t resign Perron to have kyrou and Perron be our top 6 on the RW and use vladdy to fill that LD whole. Just makes way more sense to me.
Jul. 13, 2022 at 4:40 p.m.
Agree with this. And I think it’s smart to move tarasenko, altought now you lost two top 6 RWs if he’s moved. Not sure why we didn’t resign Perron to have kyrou and Perron be our top 6 on the RW and use vladdy to fill that LD whole. Just makes way more sense to me.

Yeah again I don't know. Vancouver needs Dmen - maybe he makes a play for JT Miller or something. I also think the Tkachuk smoke is real but not sure Calgary will move him (although if they lose him for nothing also, their GM might as well just leave also)
Jul. 13, 2022 at 4:42 p.m.
I don’t see how signing leddy helps us keep those guys while signing Perron is like a deal breaker in keeping them. And leddy was not good. His playoff xG% was 36%. The other team score 64% more often when he was on the ice. That’s not good. He played good the first game of the playoffs and after that was terrible imo. He is not a good partner for parayko, we need someone who can help him shut down other teams. Leddy doesn’t play a lick of defense. He will get exploited when they try and use them against top lines. It also takes a future spot away from Perunovich in the future or we’ll have a 4M bottom pairing trashcan in years 2-4. And who said the blues wanted 3 and wouldn’t adjust that. Seems unrealistic to me.

Yeah I don’t love the Leddy deal. If I’m thinking like Armstrong rn I think next year Krug or Tarasenko are gone. I’m extending our captain and Kyrou. I’m signing Perunovich to a 1 year deal and see how well he does. Then seeing if he can make the jump to replace Krug to play alongside Faulk. The top 4 won’t have set lines, they’ll have set matchups. Leddy doesn’t have any clauses, so his contract is moveable to an extent. Parayko needs a puck moving defenseman with him. Instead of having just lockdown guys the Blues need to play with more tempo and speed coming out of the defensive zone. That’s the best way to play against relentless offensive teams. Shutdown guys will help alleviate pressure in the defensive zone for sure, but we gotta start the rush clean and that’s what the Blues liked about Leddy. I think he had some stat about being in the Top 3 for effective defensive zone exits.
Jul. 13, 2022 at 4:50 p.m.

if you sign Perron, you don't get an extension out to Kyrou, you don't have a chance at filling some other gaps and you might lose ROR and Vova without replacements
Jul. 13, 2022 at 4:52 p.m.
if you sign Perron, you don't get an extension out to Kyrou, you don't have a chance at filling some other gaps and you might lose ROR and Vova without replacements

Tarasenko is coming off the books after this season if they don't trade him. There is money there for Kyrou if they want to sign him. I would not give him what Thomas just got though. Think there is a chance that if they go for Tkachuk, Kyrou is main piece to Calgary.
Jul. 13, 2022 at 5:28 p.m.
Tarasenko is coming off the books after this season if they don't trade him. There is money there for Kyrou if they want to sign him. I would not give him what Thomas just got though. Think there is a chance that if they go for Tkachuk, Kyrou is main piece to Calgary.

and Tkachuk would get even more than what Kyrou would get
Jul. 13, 2022 at 5:32 p.m.
and Tkachuk would get even more than what Kyrou would get

Yup. And in two years the cap is going to be over $90M. NHL had record revenues last season...
Jul. 13, 2022 at 5:43 p.m.
aldore
Yeah I don’t love the Leddy deal. If I’m thinking like Armstrong rn I think next year Krug or Tarasenko are gone. I’m extending our captain and Kyrou. I’m signing Perunovich to a 1 year deal and see how well he does. Then seeing if he can make the jump to replace Krug to play alongside Faulk. The top 4 won’t have set lines, they’ll have set matchups. Leddy doesn’t have any clauses, so his contract is moveable to an extent. Parayko needs a puck moving defenseman with him. Instead of having just lockdown guys the Blues need to play with more tempo and speed coming out of the defensive zone. That’s the best way to play against relentless offensive teams. Shutdown guys will help alleviate pressure in the defensive zone for sure, but we gotta start the rush clean and that’s what the Blues liked about Leddy. I think he had some stat about being in the Top 3 for effective defensive zone exits.

I mean, I agree he needs someone who can move the puck decently well but leddy is 1 dimensional in that regard. He needs someone who can do both. Leddy is bad to have on the team for this year, let alone the 3 after that. It’s bad cap management. Moving Krug isn’t gonna be easy with his contract and full NMC. And even if we did that, our top 2 LD as that would stand would be Perunovich and leddy? That’s not a championship LD core. I think Perunovich could be a solid second pairing guy just like I think krug is now. Leddy is not a 1st or even 2nd pairing guy. He probably had some top zone exit stat because he allows the other team in the zone so much he was almost destined to be in the top. I hope I’m wrong and leddy turns into a solid player but at 31 and everything I’ve seen, I just don’t have much faith in him.
tstrauss16 and Azz_Aidz liked this.
Jul. 13, 2022 at 5:59 p.m.
I mean, I agree he needs someone who can move the puck decently well but leddy is 1 dimensional in that regard. He needs someone who can do both. Leddy is bad to have on the team for this year, let alone the 3 after that. It’s bad cap management. Moving Krug isn’t gonna be easy with his contract and full NMC. And even if we did that, our top 2 LD as that would stand would be Perunovich and leddy? That’s not a championship LD core. I think Perunovich could be a solid second pairing guy just like I think krug is now. Leddy is not a 1st or even 2nd pairing guy. He probably had some top zone exit stat because he allows the other team in the zone so much he was almost destined to be in the top. I hope I’m wrong and leddy turns into a solid player but at 31 and everything I’ve seen, I just don’t have much faith in him.

We will see for sure. Gotta see what happens first and go from there. As it sits after Kostin, Perunovich, and Mikkola sign back, the Blues would presumably be done. I wouldn't mind seeing a Barbashev for JP trade to lock down that 3RW for the foreseeable future. Including that trade, Blues would have:

Buch - ROR - Tarasenko
Saad - Thomas - Kyrou
Neighbours - Schenn - JP
Brown - NA - Kostin/Torp

Krug - Faulk
Leddy - Parayko
Perunovich - Scandella

Binnington - Greiss

Scr. Mikkola and Bortuzzo

Immediate Calls: Walker and Rosen
aldore liked this.
Jul. 13, 2022 at 6:18 p.m.
aldore
We will see for sure. Gotta see what happens first and go from there. As it sits after Kostin, Perunovich, and Mikkola sign back, the Blues would presumably be done. I wouldn't mind seeing a Barbashev for JP trade to lock down that 3RW for the foreseeable future. Including that trade, Blues would have:

Buch - ROR - Tarasenko
Saad - Thomas - Kyrou
Neighbours - Schenn - JP
Brown - NA - Kostin/Torp

Krug - Faulk
Leddy - Parayko
Perunovich - Scandella

Binnington - Greiss

Scr. Mikkola and Bortuzzo

Immediate Calls: Walker and Rosen

100% agree with the Barby for JP. I think we look at it in similar ways. It’s just this signing gives us so much less flexibility and locks us into a Dcore that is a bit of a problem. I would have loved to see Perron where you have tarasenko and then flipped tarasenko to somebody for a legit top 2/4 left defensman. Would love to see neighbors succeed and then get some runs at it with the kids or make that line 1 with buch.
tstrauss16 and Azz_Aidz liked this.
Jul. 13, 2022 at 6:46 p.m.
100% agree with the Barby for JP. I think we look at it in similar ways. It’s just this signing gives us so much less flexibility and locks us into a Dcore that is a bit of a problem. I would have loved to see Perron where you have tarasenko and then flipped tarasenko to somebody for a legit top 2/4 left defensman. Would love to see neighbors succeed and then get some runs at it with the kids or make that line 1 with buch.

For sure, I think we are on the same page. I would like to have kept Perron and done a trade of Tarasenko for a LD out East. Provy/Sanheim? Graves? But the show must go on, I think we make cost effective moves on the offense from here on out. Kyrou and O’Reilly are just extensions this offseason (at least ROR is). Kyrou should prove a more rounded game and then I’ll pay him. Tkachuk next year as an UFA is an option too. I think we will be just fine.
aldore liked this.
Jul. 13, 2022 at 7:10 p.m.
aldore
For sure, I think we are on the same page. I would like to have kept Perron and done a trade of Tarasenko for a LD out East. Provy/Sanheim? Graves? But the show must go on, I think we make cost effective moves on the offense from here on out. Kyrou and O’Reilly are just extensions this offseason (at least ROR is). Kyrou should prove a more rounded game and then I’ll pay him. Tkachuk next year as an UFA is an option too. I think we will be just fine.

Yep, not the end of the world just added one more ball to our cap juggling. Gonna make staying contenders a bit harder.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll