Forums/Armchair-GM

Different Look Leafs 2023

Created by: ToneCapone420
Team: 2022-23 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 18, 2022
Published: Jul. 18, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Would Minnesota move dumba for 2 players plus picks?
Not sure what Comtois would cost either
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$2,000,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$800,000
Trades
MIN
  1. Holl, Justin
  2. Kerfoot, Alexander
  3. 2023 1st round pick (TOR)
  4. 2023 3rd round pick (OTT)
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
21$82,500,000$82,089,783$212,500$0$410,217
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$950,000$950,000
LW
UFA - 1
$11,640,250$11,640,250
C
UFA - 2
$10,903,000$10,903,000
RW
UFA - 3
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 3
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 2
Logo of the Anaheim Ducks
$2,037,500$2,037,500
LW
RFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
C
UFA - 1
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$796,667$796,667
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,500,000$7,500,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 8
Logo of the Minnesota Wild
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$4,687,500$4,687,500
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LD
UFA - 2
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
NTC
UFA - 2
$1,800,000$1,800,000
G
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
LD
UFA - 2
$1,400,000$1,400,000
RD
RFA - 2
$800,000$800,000
RD
UFA

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jul. 18, 2022 at 11:28 a.m.
Missing a first + to ANA, Muzzin isnt positive value to us and Comtois isnt a throw away
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jul. 18, 2022 at 11:30 a.m.
Have you seen what Minny has in the forward group? No room for Kerfoot at all. None. Zilch. Nada.

And I highly doubt the Ducks would have use for Muzzin. They aren't a playoff team, so why add an aging Muzzin to that D?

They will play the kids and reassess.
Salzy and OldNYIfan liked this.
Jul. 18, 2022 at 11:32 a.m.
Quoting: swinny
Have you seen what Minny has in the forward group? No room for Kerfoot at all. None. Zilch. Nada.

And I highly doubt the Ducks would have use for Muzzin. They aren't a playoff team, so why add an aging Muzzin to that D?

We actually could use another forward but I think we'd be looking for someone who can help us in our own zone and on the PK over a more offensive guy like Kerfoot. Personally I wouldn't be opposed to acquiring him as a throw-in to a deal like this and putting him on a line with Rossi and Boldy - I think that could be a pretty fun line.
Jul. 18, 2022 at 11:39 a.m.
Quoting: TanSor
We actually could use another forward but I think we'd be looking for someone who can help us in our own zone and on the PK over a more offensive guy like Kerfoot. Personally I wouldn't be opposed to acquiring him as a throw-in to a deal like this and putting him on a line with Rossi and Boldy - I think that could be a pretty fun line.

I think a lot of people would be suprised at how good Kerfoot was the past couple of years on the Leafs PK, he is a lot better defensively than people give him credit for. I like Kerfoot on the leafs too i just personally see his 3.5 million as being the piece that the leafs will likely move to get some cap flexibility.
TanSor liked this.
Jul. 18, 2022 at 11:40 a.m.

So you want to upgrade the wing on the 2nd unit is your take?

If you were looking at Kerfoot, I almost see that as a lateral move on Foligno on the second line.

Curious at to your thought process here.... as I respect your opinion all things Wild.
TanSor liked this.
Jul. 18, 2022 at 11:41 a.m.

Fair points i would look at the leafs adding a solid prospect to see if Anaheim could make it work, just see them having so much cap space and needing another top 4 d, Muzzin was incredible when he came back this year and still has a lot to give the leafs just have too many dmen and could find a spot where he gets more responsibility.
Jul. 18, 2022 at 11:42 a.m.
Quoting: ToneCapone420
Fair points i would look at the leafs adding a solid prospect to see if Anaheim could make it work, just see them having so much cap space and needing another top 4 d, Muzzin was incredible when he came back this year and still has a lot to give the leafs just have too many dmen and could find a spot where he gets more responsibility.

Your 2nd issue will be finding Muzzin's sandpaper. Leafs need that badly.
Jul. 18, 2022 at 11:44 a.m.
Your 2nd issue will be finding Muzzin's sandpaper. Leafs need that badly.

I agree, maybe they will move Sandin despite him having a high ceiling it will be interesting to see how it plays out with leafs signing Benn and Mete and already having 7 defenseman
Jul. 18, 2022 at 11:46 a.m.
Quoting: ToneCapone420
I agree, maybe they will move Sandin despite him having a high ceiling it will be interesting to see how it plays out with leafs signing Benn and Mete and already having 7 defenseman

I hope not, but there are tea leaves to be read here.
Jul. 18, 2022 at 11:56 a.m.
So you want to upgrade the wing on the 2nd unit is your take?

If you were looking at Kerfoot, I almost see that as a lateral move on Foligno on the second line.

Curious at to your thought process here.... as I respect your opinion all things Wild.

Well, I wouldn't say we necessarily want for an upgrade on the wing, and Kerfoot certainly would not be replacing Foligno on the GREEF line given how great that line was last year and the chemistry those three players have. But we are currently 1 forward short of having a complete roster and I'd much rather have someone like Kerfoot playing with Boldy and Rossi than someone like Gaudreau. Here's our current roster projection at forward:

Kaprizov - Hartman - Zuccarello
Greenway - Eriksson Ek - Foligno
Boldy - Rossi - Gaudreau
Duhaime - Jost - Dewar
(no 13th forward)

If we acquired Kerfoot, we could move Boldy to RW and play Gaudreau on that 4th line (where he belongs IMO) and get a HUGE scoring upgrade for Rossi and Boldy. Even though he had a career year, Guadreau is an offensive black hole. He fumbled so many opportunities that Boldy and Fiala gifted him last season.

To be clear, I don't see us going out and targeting Kerfoot in a trade, but I'd be pretty happy if he were a throw-in to a larger deal like this for Dumba. I'm in the process of making a post about a Dumba trade to the Leafs since our beat writer dropped a bit of a bomb in one of his podcasts that Dubas offered Nylander for Dumba when Nylander was going through his contract negotiations and Fenton said no (Dubas dodged a bullet there), but for the life of me I cannot remember which podcast he said this in and what time he said it. Once I find it, I'll post a thread (not for Nylander, there's no chance the Leafs do that) with a link and timestamp. But either way, the Leafs have been interested in Dumba in the past and our GM is quietly shopping him right now according to our beat writer.
ToneCapone420 liked this.
Jul. 18, 2022 at 12:05 p.m.
With what the Wild are getting in terms of draft capital, I would be ok with Holl and Kerfoot even if they are one and dones in Minnesota. Hopefully atleast one of them clicks and sticks around longer but it wouldn’t be the end of the world if they didn’t. If I was the GM, I would accept this.
Jul. 18, 2022 at 12:20 p.m.
Well, I wouldn't say we necessarily want for an upgrade on the wing, and Kerfoot certainly would not be replacing Foligno on the GREEF line given how great that line was last year and the chemistry those three players have. But we are currently 1 forward short of having a complete roster and I'd much rather have someone like Kerfoot playing with Boldy and Rossi than someone like Gaudreau. Here's our current roster projection at forward:

Kaprizov - Hartman - Zuccarello
Greenway - Eriksson Ek - Foligno
Boldy - Rossi - Gaudreau
Duhaime - Jost - Dewar
(no 13th forward)

If we acquired Kerfoot, we could move Boldy to RW and play Gaudreau on that 4th line (where he belongs IMO) and get a HUGE scoring upgrade for Rossi and Boldy. Even though he had a career year, Guadreau is an offensive black hole. He fumbled so many opportunities that Boldy and Fiala gifted him last season.

To be clear, I don't see us going out and targeting Kerfoot in a trade, but I'd be pretty happy if he were a throw-in to a larger deal like this for Dumba. I'm in the process of making a post about a Dumba trade to the Leafs since our beat writer dropped a bit of a bomb in one of his podcasts that Dubas offered Nylander for Dumba when Nylander was going through his contract negotiations and Fenton said no (Dubas dodged a bullet there), but for the life of me I cannot remember which podcast he said this in and what time he said it. Once I find it, I'll post a thread (not for Nylander, there's no chance the Leafs do that) with a link and timestamp. But either way, the Leafs have been interested in Dumba in the past and our GM is quietly shopping him right now according to our beat writer.

The construct of such a deal would be interesting.

I will wait for the post!

And thanks for the thought process. Can see where you are coming from.
TanSor liked this.
Jul. 18, 2022 at 12:39 p.m.
I'm in the process of making a post about a Dumba trade to the Leafs since our beat writer dropped a bit of a bomb in one of his podcasts that Dubas offered Nylander for Dumba when Nylander was going through his contract negotiations and Fenton said no (Dubas dodged a bullet there), but for the life of me I cannot remember which podcast he said this in and what time he said it. Once I find it, I'll post a thread (not for Nylander, there's no chance the Leafs do that) with a link and timestamp. But either way, the Leafs have been interested in Dumba in the past and our GM is quietly shopping him right now according to our beat writer.

That was in the "live room" he did for the Athletic. I think he turned it into his Straight from the Source episode this week. No idea on the timestamp, but I about fell out of my chair when I heard that.
TanSor liked this.
Jul. 18, 2022 at 12:41 p.m.
Quoting: drmantalban
That was in the "live room" he did for the Athletic. I think he turned it into his Straight from the Source episode this week. No idea on the timestamp, but I about fell out of my chair when I heard that.

Same here. You can look at my post history, I must have discussed that idea a thousand times that year. Would have been huge if we had taken that, at the time Nylander was still young enough that I think we could have developed him at center.

This video sums up how I feel:
MNCountryClub liked this.
Jul. 18, 2022 at 1:16 p.m.
The construct of such a deal would be interesting.

I will wait for the post!

And thanks for the thought process. Can see where you are coming from.

Quoting: drmantalban

Found it. Timestamp is around 46:00. If you don't have a sub, Russo says Toronto may still have interest in Dumba, or at least used to. He says he has been told by multiple sources that the year Nylander was in his holdout, that week before the last day Nylander could sign before not being able to play for the season, Dubas offered Nylander for Dumba straight up and Fenton said no. I paraphrased some of that but it's almost a direct quote. If you don't have a sub I believe the show is available on Apple Podcasts or Spotify, but I could be wrong. He goes on and talks more about the Leafs needing a RHD. There's zero chance this offer would be on the table now, and Russo isn't implying that's the case, but he is saying that a Dumba trade to Toronto sounds could be possible.
MNCountryClub liked this.
Jul. 18, 2022 at 2:28 p.m.
Found it. Timestamp is around 46:00. If you don't have a sub, Russo says Toronto may still have interest in Dumba, or at least used to. He says he has been told by multiple sources that the year Nylander was in his holdout, that week before the last day Nylander could sign before not being able to play for the season, Dubas offered Nylander for Dumba straight up and Fenton said no. I paraphrased some of that but it's almost a direct quote. If you don't have a sub I believe the show is available on Apple Podcasts or Spotify, but I could be wrong. He goes on and talks more about the Leafs needing a RHD. There's zero chance this offer would be on the table now, and Russo isn't implying that's the case, but he is saying that a Dumba trade to Toronto sounds could be possible.

I wonder if there's a package that would work for both teams. I think Guerin has to balance any return today vs. a potential return at TDL vs. using him as an own rental. And from what I understand, TOR is pretty cap squeezed right now.

Not saying it isn't possible, but it would be interesting to explore some potential packages that make sense for both parties.

My immediate thought is Kerfoot + a pick. But that pick may prove difficult to land on. 1st is out of the question. TOR doesn't have a 23 2nd, and maybe that's still too rich anyway. So if it's Dumba for Kerfoot + 3rd, idk if the money works for TOR and Guerin may prefer to wait for TDL at that return. Just brainstorming out loud - would be curious to flush the concept out a bit more, though.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll