SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Projected Standings 2022 - 2023

Aug. 25, 2022 at 4:27 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: ARMCHAIRGMOFTHEYEAR
I Would say Samsonov and Matt Murray is at least just as good as Campbell and Mrazek. The thing with Murray really just depends on his health assuming he's healthy I think it's completely fair to say they can be first. Samsonov still has potential IMO and I think he's in front of a much better D Core.

I'm not really worried about any team goaltending because I think goaltending is only important in the playoffs. Tandems get you to the playoffs. Star Goalies win in the Playoffs. Therefore I think the AVs will still have a great year and not regress too much. That Defense is solid and some other unexpected players could step up like Nichuskin and Burakovky did last year.

I have to disagree. Murray is a step down. And as I said a minute ago, just because TOR was able to place higher in the standings with mediocre goaltending last year doesn't mean they can do it again. Stuff like that isn't sustainable. I'm not saying they miss or anything, but they're going to see natural regression.
Aug. 25, 2022 at 8:47 p.m.
torontos finest
Quoting: Mr_Gardoki
Lots of what-ifs and could-bes. Not what Dubas should have been doing if he was serious.

The other things that people keep missing is that just because TOR was able to find success with mediocre goaltending last season doesn't mean they can do it again with arguably worse goaltending. It's just not sustainable. Is it possible? Sure, but there's likely going to be regression which is why I put them at either third of fourth. I'm not saying they miss, but you can't realistically expect them from taking a step down goaltending-wise and actually move UP in the standings.

They don't have a sustainable recipe.

It'd be nice for you to back up your claims that Murray is worse than Campbell instead of just making hyperbole. Or at least provide some reasonable alternative for Murray/Campbell. Kuemper was headed to Washington regardless of what Dubas could've done.
aadoyle liked this.
Aug. 25, 2022 at 8:54 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: mondo
It'd be nice for you to back up your claims that Murray is worse than Campbell instead of just making hyperbole. Or at least provide some reasonable alternative for Murray/Campbell. Kuemper was headed to Washington regardless of what Dubas could've done.

Murray's GSAA -0.17

Cambpell' GSAA 1.17
Aug. 25, 2022 at 9:10 p.m.
torontos finest
Murray's GSAA -0.17

Cambpell' GSAA 1.17

This is such a comically naive way to evaluate goaltenders. Maybe look at more than one statistic?

If you take the last two games he played out of the equation, his GSAA jumps to 5.55.

With them in, his 5v5 Sv% is 0.915, compare to Campbell's 0.917. His HDSV% is 0.828, compare to Campbell's 0.786. His HDGSAA is 0.25, compared to Campell's -11.48.

----
For the record, I would've preferred an alternative goaltender (ideally prying a more consistent starter such as Gibson or Hellebuyck). I'm moreso disagreeing with your belief that Murray is a downgrade on Campbell.
BigBallsBriere and aadoyle liked this.
Aug. 25, 2022 at 10:39 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: mondo
This is such a comically naive way to evaluate goaltenders. Maybe look at more than one statistic?

If you take the last two games he played out of the equation, his GSAA jumps to 5.55.

With them in, his 5v5 Sv% is 0.915, compare to Campbell's 0.917. His HDSV% is 0.828, compare to Campbell's 0.786. His HDGSAA is 0.25, compared to Campell's -11.48.

----
For the record, I would've preferred an alternative goaltender (ideally prying a more consistent starter such as Gibson or Hellebuyck). I'm moreso disagreeing with your belief that Murray is a downgrade on Campbell.

GSAA is probably one the best indicators of performance there is. Learn something.
Aug. 26, 2022 at 11:14 a.m.
Respect Mike Grier
GSAA is probably one the best indicators of performance there is. Learn something.

Their GSAA stats are still quite similar and Toronto was a much better team than Ottawa with a much better defense. And when you take those final 2 games out of his stats his GSAA is much better. Every Goalie has bad Games or even players for that matter but he never got the chance to recover from those 2 bad games.
May 15, 2023 at 7:57 p.m.
Respect Mike Grier
Quoting: ARMCHAIRGMOFTHEYEAR
I have some bold takes but my reasoning on the controversial ones
NYR: Every team got better they arguably got worst and they're coming off a year where most of the team had Career years you can't expect that again.
WSH: They already have injury issues. Wilson will be a big loss and I worry about the left side of their defense. Gustafson on the 3rd pair will hurt a lot will turnover the puck a lot.
CBJ: This is more based on they got better and they have something special about their team they always overachieve and they have tons of Talent.
NJD: If they stay healthy I think their set of skaters is at the top of the division. I expect a lot from Jack Hughes and Hamilton and think their Tandem will do the job until the playoffs.
Vegas: So Overrated and already have massive injuries.
Wild. I think they just miss they need more experience in their forward core and Fleury is signed up for more than he wanted. He wanted a Tandem not to be a starter.

Atlantic Division
Toronto
Tampa
Ottawa
Florida- WILDCARD
Detroit - MISS
Boston - MISS
BUFFALO - MISS
MONTREAL - MISS

METRO DIVISION
CAR
Pit