Forums/Armchair-GM

After Another Former 1st Round Pick Exits for Nothing

Created by: Batmans_Dad
Team: 2022-23 Calgary Flames
Initial Creation Date: Oct. 11, 2022
Published: Oct. 12, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
The Flames have 5 players on their roster they drafted and developed. 6 once Kylington returns. Despite his reputation, Treliving isn't great at drafting, developing and retaining homegrown talent. So.... why not use the draft pick capital as well as the prospects Sutter will never give an opportunity to anyway to acquire the RW talent they need.
Trades
CGY
  1. Konecny, Travis
  2. 2023 4th round pick (EDM)
Additional Details:
Flyers gain Cap flexibility, a puck moving top 4 defensemen on a sweetheart contract, a top 9 winger for right now that fits Torts' style, a former 1st round pick in Pelletier who projects to be a top 6 winger similar to Konecny and Pospisil, a player that Flyers fans will absolutely love if he is given a chance.
CGY
  1. Pastrnak, David ($2,000,000 retained)
Additional Details:
IF the B's aren't able to extend Pasta before the trade deadline (but can revisit talks at FA) the can re-stock draft capital, bring in a solid, top 6 natural RW with term, a two blue-chip prospects who project as top 6 forwards.
BOS
  1. Toffoli, Tyler
  2. Zary, Connor
  3. 2023 1st round pick (CGY)
  4. 2024 2nd round pick (CGY)
Additional Details:
+ Matt Coronato
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CGY
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$82,500,000$75,154,167$0$200,000$7,345,833
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Calgary Flames
$5,900,000$5,900,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$4,850,000$4,850,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
Logo of the Boston Bruins
$4,666,667$4,666,667
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$5,800,000$5,800,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
$7,000,000$7,000,000
C
NMC
UFA - 7
Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
$1,300,000$1,300,000
C
UFA - 2
$5,350,000$5,350,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,900,000$4,900,000
RW, LW
NTC
UFA - 5
$762,500$762,500
LW, C
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
RW
UFA - 1
$5,250,000$5,250,000
LW, RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$1,237,500$1,237,500
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,550,000$4,550,000
RD
UFA - 4
$6,000,000$6,000,000
G
NMC
UFA - 4
$3,250,000$3,250,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$1,125,000$1,125,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
G
UFA - 1
$3,750,000$3,750,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$912,500$912,500
LD
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000 (Performance Bonus$200,000$200K)
RW, C
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Oct. 12, 2022 at 3:41 p.m.
If the Bruins are moving Pastrnak that early (I realize that they won't have much time in the off-season) it would probably need to be for a better return. Toffoli is good and Zary could be too but neither would be expected to make a significant enough impact for the Bruins to soften the blow of losing Pastrnak who they really can't afford to lose considering Bergeron and Marchand's ages.

To me that return seems like a draft day trade, where the Bruins are desperate to recuperate something and CGY is confident they can extend Pastrnak.
Batmans_Dad liked this.
Oct. 12, 2022 at 3:45 p.m.
Philly declines. They are going to want picks for Konecny
B_seka17 and Farabee liked this.
Oct. 12, 2022 at 3:46 p.m.
Quoting: GMBL
If the Bruins are moving Pastrnak that early (I realize that they won't have much time in the off-season) it would probably need to be for a better return. Toffoli is good and Zary could be too but neither would be expected to make a significant enough impact for the Bruins to soften the blow of losing Pastrnak who they really can't afford to lose considering Bergeron and Marchand's ages.

Coronato would be the centerpiece,. Toffoli is a stop gap measure until Zary, (potentially eventual replacement for Krejci) & Coronato (the RW, right shot sniper who can skate and potential replacement for Pasta long term.) Plus, they can revisit talks to bring back Pasta in Free Agency...
Oct. 12, 2022 at 3:47 p.m.
Quoting: Roperttos
Philly declines. They are going to want picks for Konecny

They SHOULD want picks. Fletcher and Torts seem to have different ideas and are hopeful to remain competitive now and don't seem interested in futures. Although that could be arranged as well. Replace Pelletier and Pospisil with a 1st and a 3rd?
Oct. 12, 2022 at 4:03 p.m.
Edited Oct. 12, 2022 at 4:12 p.m.
Quoting: Batmans_Dad
Coronato would be the centerpiece,. Toffoli is a stop gap measure until Zary, (potentially eventual replacement for Krejci) & Coronato (the RW, right shot sniper who can skate and potential replacement for Pasta long term.) Plus, they can revisit talks to bring back Pasta in Free Agency...

Who knows maybe Coronato would be considered NHL-ready come TDL, but I still think that because of where Boston is at, they would want a more proven quantity. If at the time he's still considered like 1+ year away from the NHL, I'm not sure that they would want to pull the trigger on a trade at the tdl. This sort of trade kind of looks like what a bubble team would take, not a team that probably fancies themselves as a contender. Quite frankly, unless he states he wants out, it's probably something that goes down to the wire on FA if he ends up leaving Boston, but I imagine he will have signed a new contract sometime in the season. For him, to get traded at the deadline I think CGY would have to be offering Lindholm+ a 1st + Coronato or something surprising like that for Boston to even consider.

Also, If Pasta does end up testing free agency, I would imagine that a trade would prevent any chances of him returning to Boston since it would either be a result of a mutual agreement to move on or one side giving up on the other.
Oct. 12, 2022 at 4:04 p.m.
Pasta is staying in Boston.
Oct. 12, 2022 at 4:59 p.m.
Calling either of those guys blue chip prospects is a ridiculously big stretch.
Oct. 12, 2022 at 4:59 p.m.
Quoting: Gofnut999
Pasta is staying in Boston.

We can’t be saying that definitively until the extension is signed.
Oct. 12, 2022 at 5:13 p.m.
TrevorA
Flames Wouldn't Do Either Trade.

That's a Huge Over Pay for Konecny and I don't see CGY being able to afford Pastrnak unless both Hanifin & Toffoli are a part of that deal

Dube will do just as well as Konecny this Season if he plays with Kadri & Mangiapane and is less than 1/2 the price
Oct. 12, 2022 at 6:11 p.m.
Quoting: KingofRnR
Flames Wouldn't Do Either Trade.

That's a Huge Over Pay for Konecny and I don't see CGY being able to afford Pastrnak unless both Hanifin & Toffoli are a part of that deal

Dube will do just as well as Konecny this Season if he plays with Kadri & Mangiapane and is less than 1/2 the price

Wouldn't and should are two different streams of logic. They should have learned how to draft and develop properly, they should have some semblance of self awareness and embraced a rebuild, properly, years ago, and they should have learned basic asset management. If they had, your assertion would absolutely hold merit. They haven't and as such, have to overpay to acquire & attract talent via trade & free agency. Having a well below average track record of developing draft picks into impact players, if they insist upon trying to remain contenders, consistently overvaluing and prioritizing replacement level vets over developing talented youth leads to, inevitably and invariably, allowing prospects value to deteriorate to almost nothing. So you can choose to hope that this organization suddenly adopts a philosophy, mindset and practice that it never has before (unless forced into doing so by circumstances outside their control) and these prospect will magically be afforded an opportunity before their stock plummets because their development stagnates.... or make the best of a flawed plan/system by "overpaying" for star talent while simultaneously giving these kids an opportunity elsewhere that you have no intention of giving them.

Dube is not anywhere near the player of skillset Konecny has. Lateral movement is no where close, passing/playmaking is not comparable and he shoots left on a team starving for right shot forwards. Dube also should probably find a home outside of Canada because the virtue signaling, illogical, misguided mob will be after him soon. I'd prefer to not have him on this team or his family subjected to that fallout.
Oct. 12, 2022 at 6:11 p.m.
Quoting: DefenseFirst
Calling either of those guys blue chip prospects is a ridiculously big stretch.

I mean.... that's an opinion.
Oct. 12, 2022 at 6:37 p.m.
Quoting: GMBL
Who knows maybe Coronato would be considered NHL-ready come TDL, but I still think that because of where Boston is at, they would want a more proven quantity. If at the time he's still considered like 1+ year away from the NHL, I'm not sure that they would want to pull the trigger on a trade at the tdl. This sort of trade kind of looks like what a bubble team would take, not a team that probably fancies themselves as a contender. Quite frankly, unless he states he wants out, it's probably something that goes down to the wire on FA if he ends up leaving Boston, but I imagine he will have signed a new contract sometime in the season. For him, to get traded at the deadline I think CGY would have to be offering Lindholm+ a 1st + Coronato or something surprising like that for Boston to even consider.

Also, If Pasta does end up testing free agency, I would imagine that a trade would prevent any chances of him returning to Boston since it would either be a result of a mutual agreement to move on or one side giving up on the other.

Well that's where I suppose we disagree. As a life long Flames fan, a team who until very very recently was stuck in the mediocre middle, I can recognize those symptoms a continent away. Your top two centres and one of your two cornerstone wingers are 35+ and all but one have a year left on their deal. You have an unproven (and young netminder), a glut of middle six/bottom six forwards, and admittedly excellent top four D but not enough depth to offset injuries. And you reside in one of the toughest divisions in hockey. My friend, you already are a bubble team, with or without Pasternak. Even IF I am wrong, you have what; 1 maybe two seasons of running it back before a rebuild is forced on you because Hall continues to fall off a cliff, and Bergeron, Marchand & Krejci all retire. Losing Pasta for nothing is not something your organization should be even considering. Even if it isn't to the Flames, I hope the B's are able get a king's ransom for Pasternak. It will go a long way to helping speed up the transition back to a true contender and hockey is just better when Boston is good.
Oct. 12, 2022 at 7:06 p.m.
I mean.... that's an opinion.

Well, so is everything really. I could say that Sean monahan is the best center in the NHL, and when you say he’s not, i could defend that by saying, “well, that’s an opinion.” No crap.

Those guys are so far from blue chip prospects. They’re okay. They’re alright. Blue chip center prospects aren’t below .5 points per game in the AHL as a 21 year old. He’s more like a, “meh,” prospect, and coronato is a gamble with high upside.
Oct. 12, 2022 at 7:51 p.m.
Well that's where I suppose we disagree. As a life long Flames fan, a team who until very very recently was stuck in the mediocre middle, I can recognize those symptoms a continent away. Your top two centres and one of your two cornerstone wingers are 35+ and all but one have a year left on their deal. You have an unproven (and young netminder), a glut of middle six/bottom six forwards, and admittedly excellent top four D but not enough depth to offset injuries. And you reside in one of the toughest divisions in hockey. My friend, you already are a bubble team, with or without Pasternak. Even IF I am wrong, you have what; 1 maybe two seasons of running it back before a rebuild is forced on you because Hall continues to fall off a cliff, and Bergeron, Marchand & Krejci all retire. Losing Pasta for nothing is not something your organization should be even considering. Even if it isn't to the Flames, I hope the B's are able get a king's ransom for Pasternak. It will go a long way to helping speed up the transition back to a true contender and hockey is just better when Boston is good.

You might be right that they already are but teams especially ones that were dominate often resist. Boston has a ton of key pieces locked on the back-end so it makes sense that they would want to resist going into a rebuild, at most they would want ro retool but losing their youngest superstar isn't going to help.
Oct. 12, 2022 at 8:56 p.m.
TrevorA
Edited Oct. 12, 2022 at 10:53 p.m.
Wouldn't and should are two different streams of logic. They should have learned how to draft and develop properly, they should have some semblance of self awareness and embraced a rebuild, properly, years ago, and they should have learned basic asset management. If they had, your assertion would absolutely hold merit. They haven't and as such, have to overpay to acquire & attract talent via trade & free agency. Having a well below average track record of developing draft picks into impact players, if they insist upon trying to remain contenders, consistently overvaluing and prioritizing replacement level vets over developing talented youth leads to, inevitably and invariably, allowing prospects value to deteriorate to almost nothing. So you can choose to hope that this organization suddenly adopts a philosophy, mindset and practice that it never has before (unless forced into doing so by circumstances outside their control) and these prospect will magically be afforded an opportunity before their stock plummets because their development stagnates.... or make the best of a flawed plan/system by "overpaying" for star talent while simultaneously giving these kids an opportunity elsewhere that you have no intention of giving them.

Dube is not anywhere near the player of skillset Konecny has. Lateral movement is no where close, passing/playmaking is not comparable and he shoots left on a team starving for right shot forwards. Dube also should probably find a home outside of Canada because the virtue signaling, illogical, misguided mob will be after him soon. I'd prefer to not have him on this team or his family subjected to that fallout.

Blah Blah Blah... As much as I agree Sutter is stubborn about trying the Young Guys making them earn their place in the NHL and Valuing his Veterans, he & Treliving are doing a fine job. You're pretending like several Scouts and so call "Experts" didn't have Valimaki, Bennett, Jankowski and/or whoever else you were referring too as projected 1st Rounders and that they weren't given a fair chance and opportunity to prove themselves. Sometimes it doesn't work out or injuries derail their development, but to ignore Drafting Studs like Tkachuk, Backlund, Dube, Andersson & Kylington and guys like Mangiapane, Dustin Wolf & Gaudreau in the later rounds isn't good and that overall they are failing with their Asset Management is simply ridiculous

If anyone is virtue signaling here, that would be you. What ever happened to innocent until proven guilty. Sure sounds like you have already passed judgment when my understanding is Dube's one of the players to have come out and said he had nothing to do with what happened. I don't believe in cancel culture and dismissing people simply because they were young, dumb and made mistakes. We all do, it's called being human and we should try to reform and give people second chances, not just cast them off. What is this world coming too ffs

Dube's ready for his Breakout Season and will do just fine. Konecny is a small RW. We should try Mathew Phillips & Adam Ruzicka before throwing a ton of great assets away for a guy who probably wouldn't make a big impact. If we do though, I'd prefer Conor Garland myself. I also like Luke Kunin. But the guy I think we should pursue is Ivan Barbashev. We just need 2 Right Handers, one for each PP, otherwise what handedness that are playing 5on5 is overrated

P.S. Thanks for Posting and Welcome to the Forum! See You Around!!!

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll