Forums/Fauteuil - DG

Habs

Created by: BennyBoy91
Team: 2022-23 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: Nov. 9, 2022
Published: Nov. 9, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Pretty safe deadline, Drouin for ladd, its pretty much to give drouin a new start where he will have no pressure and where he can be the player he was.
Kapanen for dadonov, pit is saving $ and maybe he could bounce back, dadonov is a depth player that is less expansive than kapanen
Hoffman for hagelin, wsh could need wingers, but we could also buy him out at the end of the year.
Johnsson, devils pay to clear cap space at the deadline
Armia vs zaitsev, armia could get a fresh start and we get rid of that 3 year at 3.4
Tell me what you think
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$800,000
2$800,000
Trades
PIT
  1. Dadonov, Evgeni ($2,500,000 retained)
MTL
  1. Hagelin, Carl
  2. 2024 6th round pick (WSH)
WSH
  1. Hoffman, Mike ($2,250,000 retained)
MTL
  1. Johnsson, Andreas
  2. 2023 2nd round pick (NJD)
MTL
  1. Zaitsev, Nikita
  2. 2024 4th round pick (TBL)
OTT
  1. Armia, Joel
  2. 2023 5th round pick (CGY)
MTL
  1. Khudobin, Anton
  2. 2023 2nd round pick (DAL)
DAL
  1. Monahan, Sean ($3,187,500 retained)
TOR
  1. 2024 7th round pick (EDM)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$82,500,000$74,955,832$1,132,500$5,277,500$7,544,168
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$880,833$880,833 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$7,875,000$7,875,000
C
UFA - 8
$3,362,500$3,362,500
C, RW
RFA - 4
$950,000$950,000 (Performance Bonus$3,500,000$4M)
RW, LW
RFA - 3
$4,450,000$4,450,000
C
UFA - 3
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$3,200,000$3,200,000
RW
UFA - 2
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 5
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 5
$1,100,000$1,100,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$1,700,000$1,700,000
C
UFA - 3
Logo of the New Jersey Devils
$3,400,000$3,400,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$875,000$875,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,875,000$4,875,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$2,875,000$2,875,000
G
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$420,000$420K)
LD/RD
RFA - 3
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RD
UFA - 3
$1,000,000$1,000,000
G
UFA - 2
$842,500$842,500 (Performance Bonus$507,500$508K)
LD/RD
RFA - 1
$766,667$766,667
RD
UFA - 3
$828,333$828,333
LD/RD
RFA - 2
Logo of the Ottawa Senators
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$10,500,000$10,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 4
$3,400,000$3,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Washington Capitals
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Arizona Coyotes
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Nov. 9, 2022 at 12:47 p.m.
Tintin over 1122
Capitals decline
BennyBoy91 liked this.
Nov. 9, 2022 at 12:53 p.m.
Pens say yes.
BennyBoy91 liked this.
Nov. 9, 2022 at 1:04 p.m.
The only real issue I see with that first trade is Ladd only has 1M in salary compared to Drouin having 5.5M. So even though they could potentially try to refresh Drouin's career to get something for him later, I'm not sure their finances so maybe they don't want to or can't pay Drouin his salary. I like the idea though.
Pittsburgh might be interested in something like that if one of their top 6 wingers gets hurt. I feel Dadonov only really produces with good players so I think he would need to play with Malkin or Crosby. They might just do it got the little bit of cap space gained though. Again good idea.
Washington could do that considering the cap hit and the low cost of Hoffman at 2.25M. I guess it would depend on how confident they feel he would be an upgrade on any of the players in the line up right now. Again I like this idea.
I don't think Jersey is desperate for cap space, they are in LTIR money but unless you know something I don't about them needing cap right now, I don't think it makes sense for them to pay a second for 2M in cap space.
I think Ottawa would rather just wait out the second year of Zaitsev than gain a third of Armia. Armia would likely only play the fourth line with their roster anyways, maybe third line with injuries. Also if they did give injuries they would probably rather give one of their prospects in the minors a shot for that time. Not a bad idea I just don't think it makes sense for Ottawa, especially since they add the slight difference in picks.
Dallas might do that to add fly the playoffs, that's probably the most they could get for Monohan and I think he could do alright in Dallas.
Toronto should do this, never liked them resigning Engvall lol.
Good AGM, nothing too unrealistic and makes for good thought and discussion. Not a totally bad way to use your "scraps" for a small amount of positive assets and possibly players who could use a fresh start and gain some value for next season.
BennyBoy91 and Devil liked this.
Nov. 9, 2022 at 1:10 p.m.
Quoting: Lancebmx
The only real issue I see with that first trade is Ladd only has 1M in salary compared to Drouin having 5.5M. So even though they could potentially try to refresh Drouin's career to get something for him later, I'm not sure their finances so maybe they don't want to or can't pay Drouin his salary. I like the idea though.
Pittsburgh might be interested in something like that if one of their top 6 wingers gets hurt. I feel Dadonov only really produces with good players so I think he would need to play with Malkin or Crosby. They might just do it got the little bit of cap space gained though. Again good idea.
Washington could do that considering the cap hit and the low cost of Hoffman at 2.25M. I guess it would depend on how confident they feel he would be an upgrade on any of the players in the line up right now. Again I like this idea.
I don't think Jersey is desperate for cap space, they are in LTIR money but unless you know something I don't about them needing cap right now, I don't think it makes sense for them to pay a second for 2M in cap space.
I think Ottawa would rather just wait out the second year of Zaitsev than gain a third of Armia. Armia would likely only play the fourth line with their roster anyways, maybe third line with injuries. Also if they did give injuries they would probably rather give one of their prospects in the minors a shot for that time. Not a bad idea I just don't think it makes sense for Ottawa, especially since they add the slight difference in picks.
Dallas might do that to add fly the playoffs, that's probably the most they could get for Monohan and I think he could do alright in Dallas.
Toronto should do this, never liked them resigning Engvall lol.
Good AGM, nothing too unrealistic and makes for good thought and discussion. Not a totally bad way to use your "scraps" for a small amount of positive assets and possibly players who could use a fresh start and gain some value for next season.

Thank you for your comment and you are right, it is difficult for MTL to have benefits from the players we have right now. Armia could be a summer trade because of his contract and Hoffman could only be buyout at the end of the year if we dont want to retain on him! Im not expecting nothing major in the season from mtl, because of the way the upcoming ufa are playing.
Nov. 9, 2022 at 1:21 p.m.
Quoting: BennyBoy91
Thank you for your comment and you are right, it is difficult for MTL to have benefits from the players we have right now. Armia could be a summer trade because of his contract and Hoffman could only be buyout at the end of the year if we dont want to retain on him! Im not expecting nothing major in the season from mtl, because of the way the upcoming ufa are playing.

As of right now the Habs don't really have any value in the current UFAs, other than maybe Monohan. If they get anything for him at the deadline is a big win considering he came with a first. Teams might take a risk for a second or third, I would personally if I had the cap space and was making the playoffs. I think you picked a good team with Dallas since they have Dobys 2.2M doing nothing and an expected 1+M at the deadline. Moving a player to the minors for Mony would free up any space needed for him. All these players values might rise as injuries occur and if their play improves as well. As a Detroit fan in actually super jealous of the Monohan deal. I was really hoping Detroit would take a chance on him since we kind of needed a centre and have the cap space. I made many an AGM of pretty much that exact trade or else a second to Detroit before it happened and Flames fans said they wouldn't need to pay to dump him. Lol
BennyBoy91 liked this.
Nov. 9, 2022 at 1:26 p.m.
Quoting: Lancebmx
As of right now the Habs don't really have any value in the current UFAs, other than maybe Monohan. If they get anything for him at the deadline is a big win considering he came with a first. Teams might take a risk for a second or third, I would personally if I had the cap space and was making the playoffs. I think you picked a good team with Dallas since they have Dobys 2.2M doing nothing and an expected 1+M at the deadline. Moving a player to the minors for Mony would free up any space needed for him. All these players values might rise as injuries occur and if their play improves as well. As a Detroit fan in actually super jealous of the Monohan deal. I was really hoping Detroit would take a chance on him since we kind of needed a centre and have the cap space. I made many an AGM of pretty much that exact trade or else a second to Detroit before it happened and Flames fans said they wouldn't need to pay to dump him. Lol

Lol! I loved that trade from Kent Hughes! The guy is a former 80+ pts guy and we got a first! to take him If he plays well, we could eventually get something for him at the deadline, this was a huge win from Kent!
Nov. 9, 2022 at 1:27 p.m.
Lol! I loved that trade from Kent Hughes! The guy is a former 80+ pts guy and we got a first! to take him If he plays well, we could eventually get something for him at the deadline, this was a huge win from Kent!

A potential 1st and 2nd for one of the richest teams to spend the money it probably would have spent anyways, massive win.
BennyBoy91 liked this.
Nov. 9, 2022 at 1:34 p.m.
Trade 1 - Montreal has no reason to trade for an LTIR contract, we don't need the cap room.

Trade 2 - Montreal isn't getting anything of value in this trade Kapanen isn't a top 6 winger, he is signed longer and we are retaining salary, gonna have to add at least a 2nd to that deal for Montreal to consider taking on the extra year.

Trade 3 - Again with an unneeded LTIR contract, retaining money and only getting a late pick?! We can get that without retaining, thanks but no thanks.

Trade 4 - This is actually the type of trade that makes sense, even though we don't need another winger (unless we move one) we get a good pick to take an expiring contract.

Trade 5 - Armia for Zaitzev is a wash skill wise but since we are taking on 1 mil more cap hit I would expect a 3rd back and not a 4th without giving up a pick. Especially since Zaitzev will be a healthy scratch that costs 4.5 Mil

Trade 6 - Wow Monahan for an AHL goalie and a 2nd?! That's just a flat out no thanks. I can't even say anything nice about it.

Trade 7 - Have no use for Engvall, since we haven't made any of the other trades you proposed and he is not better than Evans so even if we did make that trade he would be either 4C or press box fodder.

Just one more note here, When was the last time a team made 7 trades swapping 13 players at one TDL? I just don't see this being very realistic, I think the max number of moves we see is 3 or 4. I also don't see us moving all 3 of Hoffman, Drouin or Dadonov. Moves I see being made at the TDL are one of Drouin or Dadonov (retained for picks), Armia and one of Savard or Edmundson. Outside of those and maybe another small move I don't see too much movement at the TDL.
Nov. 9, 2022 at 1:44 p.m.
Quoting: Campabee
Trade 1 - Montreal has no reason to trade for an LTIR contract, we don't need the cap room.

Trade 2 - Montreal isn't getting anything of value in this trade Kapanen isn't a top 6 winger, he is signed longer and we are retaining salary, gonna have to add at least a 2nd to that deal for Montreal to consider taking on the extra year.

Trade 3 - Again with an unneeded LTIR contract, retaining money and only getting a late pick?! We can get that without retaining, thanks but no thanks.

Trade 4 - This is actually the type of trade that makes sense, even though we don't need another winger (unless we move one) we get a good pick to take an expiring contract.

Trade 5 - Armia for Zaitzev is a wash skill wise but since we are taking on 1 mil more cap hit I would expect a 3rd back and not a 4th without giving up a pick. Especially since Zaitzev will be a healthy scratch that costs 4.5 Mil

Trade 6 - Wow Monahan for an AHL goalie and a 2nd?! That's just a flat out no thanks. I can't even say anything nice about it.

Trade 7 - Have no use for Engvall, since we haven't made any of the other trades you proposed and he is not better than Evans so even if we did make that trade he would be either 4C or press box fodder.

Just one more note here, When was the last time a team made 7 trades swapping 13 players at one TDL? I just don't see this being very realistic, I think the max number of moves we see is 3 or 4. I also don't see us moving all 3 of Hoffman, Drouin or Dadonov. Moves I see being made at the TDL are one of Drouin or Dadonov (retained for picks), Armia and one of Savard or Edmundson. Outside of those and maybe another small move I don't see too much movement at the TDL.

I get that you are not excited with the things we get, but Drouin and Dadonov are not returning pick with the way they are playing right now. Nobody would pay a 1st for monahan, I think a 2nd pick is more realistic and Khudobin is only to make the cap work. I get that Zaitsev is bad, but Armia is also bad and so his contract. I would take 1mil more for 2 year that 1 mill less but for an extra year. I know that these trade are not all happening, its just ideas. Hoffman will probably be bought out, armia will probably trade in the summer and engvall is only to get a guy that can play center until the end of the year, because we loose monahan. The drouin trade is only to give the guy a fresh start. Maybe the extra year of kapanen can be bad, maybe we could get a compensation for the extra year.
Nov. 9, 2022 at 1:57 p.m.
I get that you are not excited with the things we get, but Drouin and Dadonov are not returning pick with the way they are playing right now. Nobody would pay a 1st for monahan, I think a 2nd pick is more realistic and Khudobin is only to make the cap work. I get that Zaitsev is bad, but Armia is also bad and so his contract. I would take 1mil more for 2 year that 1 mill less but for an extra year. I know that these trade are not all happening, its just ideas. Hoffman will probably be bought out, armia will probably trade in the summer and engvall is only to get a guy that can play center until the end of the year, because we loose monahan. The drouin trade is only to give the guy a fresh start. Maybe the extra year of kapanen can be bad, maybe we could get a compensation for the extra year.

That's not entirely true, at 2.75 mil Drouin has value and may return between a 2nd and 4th from a contending team, if not we keep him and let his contract expire and spend that 5.5 mil elsewhere in the offseason. That makes more sense than trading him with retention for an LTIR contract we don't need. Dadonov again has value if retained, probably in the 4th to 6th round range which again is better than taking on term for an equally bad player without getting anything in return, otherwise a gain we just let his contract expire. You don't think a team like Minny, Nashville or Colorado will take a chance on Monahan with retention for a late 1st?! I think someone will make that trade. I agree Hoffman will be bought out, I prefer the Armia over Kapanen at least Armia has a role on the team. There are better options for filling the 3 or 4 C hole than trading for Engvall, we have Mysak and Pitlick who can take that on.
Nov. 9, 2022 at 2:03 p.m.
Devils pass. No need to move AJ for cap reasons.
Nov. 9, 2022 at 2:10 p.m.
That's not entirely true, at 2.75 mil Drouin has value and may return between a 2nd and 4th from a contending team, if not we keep him and let his contract expire and spend that 5.5 mil elsewhere in the offseason. That makes more sense than trading him with retention for an LTIR contract we don't need. Dadonov again has value if retained, probably in the 4th to 6th round range which again is better than taking on term for an equally bad player without getting anything in return, otherwise a gain we just let his contract expire. You don't think a team like Minny, Nashville or Colorado will take a chance on Monahan with retention for a late 1st?! I think someone will make that trade. I agree Hoffman will be bought out, I prefer the Armia over Kapanen at least Armia has a role on the team. There are better options for filling the 3 or 4 C hole than trading for Engvall, we have Mysak and Pitlick who can take that on.

Drouin would never returned a 2nd pick, would you trade a 2nd pick for Drouin? Nobody would! Dadonov maybe a late round like a 5th half retained. I would keep armia before kapanen, but the extra year on armia's contract stink! I dont think Mysak is ready for the NHL yet and every agm i saw that there was a trade monahan vs a late 1st, everyone was blasting and it was clear that nobody would do that. A second seems fair, well already had a 1st for him
Lancebmx liked this.
Nov. 9, 2022 at 2:34 p.m.
Drouin would never returned a 2nd pick, would you trade a 2nd pick for Drouin? Nobody would! Dadonov maybe a late round like a 5th half retained. I would keep armia before kapanen, but the extra year on armia's contract stink! I dont think Mysak is ready for the NHL yet and every agm i saw that there was a trade monahan vs a late 1st, everyone was blasting and it was clear that nobody would do that. A second seems fair, well already had a 1st for him

At 2.75 mil for a top 6 forward you are damn straight I would trade a 2nd for that, especially if I was in the playoff hunt at the trade deadline. So we agree on Dadonov's value, why add the extra year of Kapanen for free when he isn't an upgrade? Armia is a good player to have and the term is only 1 year longer, also that only saves 1 mil in salary over the term of their contracts. I say Keep Armia if there are no bites for just picks at the TDL. The only reason there is flack on getting a 1st for Monahan is cause 1. Other fans of rebuilding teams are jealous they did not get him and a 1st or 2. Half the responders are known Habs trolls or 3. They are fans of the other team giving up the 1st and like most fans value the idea of what a pick could be and doesn't think about how Monahan would make their team better for their cup run. We saw the same thing last TDL where there were multiple fans saying Montreal would never get more than a 3rd for Lehkonen, would be lucky to unload Chairot without including a 1st of their own or that Taffoli wouldn't get more than 2 2nds. Each of those players all returned a 1st without retention, Monahan is better than them and only Lehkonen is close to his skill level. Imagine if Toffoli got a 1st + 2nd + 5th (valuewise) without retention what could he have returned with retention? Monahan is better, younger and cheaper than Toffoli, the only reason we got a 1st is cause the Flames had to move Monahan to sign Tkachuk, if not we would have had to pay a 1st + to get him. The Habs are in a totally different situation though, they don't have to move Monahan and can retain on him to get better value.
Nov. 9, 2022 at 2:39 p.m.
Ottawa can't do this because of that Armia extra year. They'll need the cap space for way more important players

They will most likely just buyout Zaitsev this offseason for 1.67 M$ (spread over 2 years)
BennyBoy91 and Lancebmx liked this.
Nov. 9, 2022 at 2:54 p.m.
At 2.75 mil for a top 6 forward you are damn straight I would trade a 2nd for that, especially if I was in the playoff hunt at the trade deadline. So we agree on Dadonov's value, why add the extra year of Kapanen for free when he isn't an upgrade? Armia is a good player to have and the term is only 1 year longer, also that only saves 1 mil in salary over the term of their contracts. I say Keep Armia if there are no bites for just picks at the TDL. The only reason there is flack on getting a 1st for Monahan is cause 1. Other fans of rebuilding teams are jealous they did not get him and a 1st or 2. Half the responders are known Habs trolls or 3. They are fans of the other team giving up the 1st and like most fans value the idea of what a pick could be and doesn't think about how Monahan would make their team better for their cup run. We saw the same thing last TDL where there were multiple fans saying Montreal would never get more than a 3rd for Lehkonen, would be lucky to unload Chairot without including a 1st of their own or that Taffoli wouldn't get more than 2 2nds. Each of those players all returned a 1st without retention, Monahan is better than them and only Lehkonen is close to his skill level. Imagine if Toffoli got a 1st + 2nd + 5th (valuewise) without retention what could he have returned with retention? Monahan is better, younger and cheaper than Toffoli, the only reason we got a 1st is cause the Flames had to move Monahan to sign Tkachuk, if not we would have had to pay a 1st + to get him. The Habs are in a totally different situation though, they don't have to move Monahan and can retain on him to get better value.

Bro Drouin is not a top 6 forward, Im a die hard habs fan bro he brings nothing on the ice! For Monahan the time will tell, maybe we could fetch a late 1st for him, if he is consitent and can stay healthy. If im a contending team, i wouldnt spend a 6th rounder for drouin even half retained, the way he is playing right now is not helping to increase his value! No team would waste 2,75 mil for drouin on their roster.
Windjammer and Lancebmx liked this.
Nov. 9, 2022 at 5:43 p.m.
Bro Drouin is not a top 6 forward, Im a die hard habs fan bro he brings nothing on the ice! For Monahan the time will tell, maybe we could fetch a late 1st for him, if he is consitent and can stay healthy. If im a contending team, i wouldnt spend a 6th rounder for drouin even half retained, the way he is playing right now is not helping to increase his value! No team would waste 2,75 mil for drouin on their roster.

That guy doesn't get it.
BennyBoy91 liked this.
Nov. 9, 2022 at 7:52 p.m.

Drouin got an assist tonight, good value went from a second to first 😜
BennyBoy91 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll