Forums/Armchair-GM

Long term RW attempt

Created by: mvp13
Team: 2022-23 New York Rangers
Initial Creation Date: Dec. 3, 2022
Published: Dec. 3, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Trying to find a potential long term RW solution, rather than giving up futures for a rental. Rangers - who have all but declared the rebuild is over - give up on a project player for an already established middle six forward.

NYR would need to run a 21 man roster up until the trade deadline.

As far as the cap next year, I believe it's still up in the air exactly how much the increase will be. It is a pretty dismal situation if it only goes up 1million, but it seems other teams are making moves assuming it will be more so I will hold off doing calculations until we all know the numbers. All of the important impending free agents are RFAs, so hopefully a 1 year deal contract can be negotiated for the larger increase coming the following year on the Chytil, Miller, and Laffy front... not that one of those three has done much to warrant a crazy amount of money, but I digress.
Trades
NYR
    Wherever it could be worked out. Potentially sub in Blais/Gauthier and receive a pick back instead.
    ANA
    1. Halák, Jaroslav
    2. 2023 3rd round pick (COL)
    NYR
    1. Anderson, Josh
    Additional Details:
    I think this can be a one for one trade, but perhaps picks are included to even it out... on one of the sides? MTL sheds some long-term cap to aid in their rebuilding, while collecting another young project player, that Gorton drafted (not saying he made the wrong decision, but just a factor here). NYR get a player long term who has shown he can put up good numbers in the right situation, while also having that "grit".
    Buyouts
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the DAL
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the WPG
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the DAL
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the MIN
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the NYR
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    21$82,500,000$82,478,969$0$3,650,000$21,031

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the New York Rangers
    $6,500,000$6,500,000
    LW
    NMC
    UFA - 5
    $8,500,000$8,500,000
    C
    NMC
    UFA - 8
    $750,000$750,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    $11,642,857$11,642,857
    LW
    NMC
    UFA - 4
    $2,300,000$2,300,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 1
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
    LW, RW
    RFA - 1
    $5,625,000$5,625,000
    C, RW
    NMC
    UFA - 7
    Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
    $5,500,000$5,500,000
    RW, LW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 5
    $3,641,667$3,641,667
    C, LW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 5
    $750,000$750,000
    RW, C
    UFA - 1
    $875,000$875,000
    LW, RW
    RFA - 1
    $1,525,000$1,525,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $3,000,000$3,000,000
    LD
    RFA - 2
    $9,500,000$9,500,000
    RD
    UFA - 7
    $5,666,667$5,666,667
    G
    UFA - 3
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
    LD
    RFA - 1
    $8,000,000$8,000,000
    RD
    NMC
    UFA - 4
    $775,000$775,000
    G
    UFA - 2
    $925,000$925,000
    LD
    RFA - 1
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
    RD
    RFA - 2
    $800,000$800,000
    LD
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Dec. 3, 2022 at 9:32 a.m.
    This should be enjoyable.

Rangers fans and Montreal fans seem to be quite irrational about both of these players.
    mvp13, Hawksguy81 and chuck28 liked this.
    Dec. 3, 2022 at 9:33 a.m.
    Quoting: littlejerryseinfeld
    This should be enjoyable.

Rangers fans and Montreal fans seem to be quite irrational about both of these players.

Yeah. I'm a fan of both teams (NYR is my #1), so maybe I'm more laxed here. I think it fits a need for both
    Dec. 3, 2022 at 9:36 a.m.
    Quoting: mvp13
    Yeah. I'm a fan of both teams (NYR is my #1), so maybe I'm more laxed here. I think it fits a need for both

You are adding in another long term contract at over 5 million joining trocheck, zibanejad, panarin, fox, trouba, shesterkin, kreider.

then goodrow for 5 more years. seems like it will hinder the ability to resign rfas and build around the core.
    palhal and Fox_Czar_Cup liked this.
    Dec. 3, 2022 at 9:46 a.m.
    GM
    As NYR fan this is terrible. How is Josh an upgrade to Kakko, not to mention how that cap hit will kill this team years to come?
    palhal and Fox_Czar_Cup liked this.
    Dec. 3, 2022 at 9:47 a.m.
    You are adding in another long term contract at over 5 million joining trocheck, zibanejad, panarin, fox, trouba, shesterkin, kreider.

then goodrow for 5 more years. seems like it will hinder the ability to resign rfas and build around the core.

Cap is projected 87.5mil in 24-25, and 92mil in 25-26. This upcoming offseason sucks, but if they can get through it with 1 year deals it will be fine. It's not like RFAs like Laffy or Kravy are warranting any crazy contracts. Chytil and Miller are due for some nice raises, but again, if they can agree on a 1 year until that 87.5mil kicks in, it will be fine
    Dec. 3, 2022 at 9:48 a.m.
    Quoting: AG_sweden
    As NYR fan this is terrible. How is Josh an upgrade to Kakko, not to mention how that cap hit will kill this team years to come?

... how is he not an upgrade? Can we not read numbers?

Anderson is a career half point per game or better, with consistency issues depending on his team/situation. Kakko hasn't come close to that in any year, no matter how many top 6 opportunities he gets. Will he eventually blossom? Perhaps. But we have "ended" the rebuild and can't keep holding on to all these project players, as you can see by the product on the ice this year
    Dec. 3, 2022 at 9:49 a.m.
    Cap is projected 87.5mil in 24-25, and 92mil in 25-26. This upcoming offseason sucks, but if they can get through it with 1 year deals it will be fine. It's not like RFAs like Laffy or Kravy are warranting any crazy contracts. Chytil and Miller are due for some nice raises, but again, if they can agree on a 1 year until that 87.5mil kicks in, it will be fine

if the cap goes up that much, which i am suspicious about, so will player contracts. shesterkin is up in 25-26 and if the cap goes up that much hes getting over 10 million
    Dec. 3, 2022 at 9:56 a.m.
    GM

Anderson is a career half point per game or better, with consistency issues depending on his team/situation. Kakko hasn't come close to that in any year, no matter how many top 6 opportunities he gets. Will he eventually blossom? Perhaps. But we have "ended" the rebuild and can't keep holding on to all these project players, as you can see by the product on the ice this year

Aha I see you are hurt that Kakko hasn't lived up to your standards yet. I don't see any reason to be your emotional pillow.
    Dec. 3, 2022 at 9:58 a.m.
    if the cap goes up that much, which i am suspicious about, so will player contracts. shesterkin is up in 25-26 and if the cap goes up that much hes getting over 10 million

Igor deserves 10million right now, that's not even a question. But also in 24-25, the M-NTCs come in to effect on both Kreider and Trouba which can be exercised if necessary, and Goodrow has his M-NTC the whole time. Again, I'm not seeing any reason why any current NYR RFA warrants any contracts over 4mil, pending some kind of crazy and unexpected break out. But, this is also why you get rid of one of them in Kakko. I don't think having 6 long term forward contracts is some kind of bad thing...
    Dec. 3, 2022 at 10:04 a.m.
    Igor deserves 10million right now, that's not even a question. But also in 24-25, the M-NTCs come in to effect on both Kreider and Trouba which can be exercised if necessary, and Goodrow has his M-NTC the whole time. Again, I'm not seeing any reason why any current NYR RFA warrants any contracts over 4mil, pending some kind of crazy and unexpected break out. But, this is also why you get rid of one of them in Kakko. I don't think having 6 long term forward contracts is some kind of bad thing...

always fun to do multi year AGMs to see it play out, but its not just about RFAs. its about trades for established players, or adding ufas.
    Dec. 3, 2022 at 10:14 a.m.
    HuGo is a Boss GM
    IMO Habs need to add, maybe a 2nd in 2023?
    mvp13 and chuck28 liked this.
    Dec. 3, 2022 at 10:19 a.m.
    LongtimeLeafsufferer
    I always wonder why fans mention the possible cap increase in future years, thinking they can spend it on player. Fact is all player with new contracts coming will want a piece of the bigger pie.
    Mediocrity shouldn't cost 5.5m now in four years.
    Fox_Czar_Cup liked this.
    Dec. 3, 2022 at 10:31 a.m.
    Quoting: palhal
    I always wonder why fans mention the possible cap increase in future years, thinking they can spend it on player. Fact is all player with new contracts coming will want a piece of the bigger pie.
    Mediocrity shouldn't cost 5.5m now in four years.

That's not exactly what I was saying. Yes, new contracts want the same cap percentage, which goes up as the cap goes up. But cap raises help existing contracts, like Anderson's here.

The cap going up helps make contracts like Anderson's and Goodrow's look better.
    Just_A_Guess liked this.
    Dec. 3, 2022 at 10:34 a.m.
    always fun to do multi year AGMs to see it play out, but its not just about RFAs. its about trades for established players, or adding ufas.

And I've done plenty of 3 year plans. My thing is, apparently the cap raises are completely in limbo right now. I've heard different things. So I didn't want to waste my time. From what I've gathered, the 87.5mil and 92mil are fairly set in stone, but I heard the 83.5mil could go up. Hopefully more info is out by the deadline. My understanding is the players have been paying off the escrow or whatever it's called faster than expected and what not
    Dec. 3, 2022 at 11:19 a.m.
    Jimbo1119
    NYR shouldn’t be moving any players right now…they have dug a hole for themselves- now let’s see who in the “Fat Cat” club has the resolve to at least try to right the ship. And while we’re at it, maybe we see what we have in guys like Blais, Gautier, Jones, Krav, LaF, Kakko, and Miller. What we should learn would be far more beneficial than the instant gratification which MIGHT come from shuffling players- and NYR would ultimately lose most trades since most trade chips are not currently at top value.
    My approach could ultimately throw the season away- but I’m fine with that…mainly because it would shine a light to what’s really wrong…the management and coaching of this team.
    Dec. 3, 2022 at 11:46 a.m.

Kakko last year was a .48 ppg player. at d+3, with ZERO power play points. Anderson is a .5 ppg player with points on the powerplay. Anderson isnt getting pp time on the rangers.
    Anderson will never get better than that.
    Kakko will.

Theres no way this trade makes sense.
    Fox_Czar_Cup liked this.
    Dec. 3, 2022 at 7:02 p.m.
    Quoting: slater417
    Kakko last year was a .48 ppg player. at d+3, with ZERO power play points. Anderson is a .5 ppg player with points on the powerplay. Anderson isnt getting pp time on the rangers.
    Anderson will never get better than that.
    Kakko will.

Theres no way this trade makes sense.

Kakko was a .48 ppg player... one year. He has zero power play points, but he certainly has power play time. Anderson will absolutely be on PP2 for the Rangers, just like Kakko is. Anderson also is mostly on PP2 for the Habs. This post makes no sense. I'm not saying my idea is perfect, but I'm trying to find a non-rental fit that both teams could agree on, and I think this is a pretty decent fit, especially given the drafting GM link, and Drury's hard-on for "grit". I don't understand how having power play points or not somehow makes me a buffoon, especially since Kakko not having points, WHILE having time, is a massive negative in his respect......
    Dec. 5, 2022 at 5:17 p.m.
    Kakko was a .48 ppg player... one year. He has zero power play points, but he certainly has power play time. Anderson will absolutely be on PP2 for the Rangers, just like Kakko is. Anderson also is mostly on PP2 for the Habs. This post makes no sense. I'm not saying my idea is perfect, but I'm trying to find a non-rental fit that both teams could agree on, and I think this is a pretty decent fit, especially given the drafting GM link, and Drury's hard-on for "grit". I don't understand how having power play points or not somehow makes me a buffoon, especially since Kakko not having points, WHILE having time, is a massive negative in his respect......

Anderson in his d+6 season (18-19) put up 47 points. Just slightly over .5 ppg, while having 17 minutes of ice time and includes 6 points on the pp.
    Kakko in his D+3 season put up 18 points in 43 games, just slightly under .5 ppg while having 15 minutes of ice time per game and includes 0 points on the pp.

Im trying to explain to you that kakko at age 22 is unfinished, and will likely be a better player than anderson who is clearly a finished product.
    The rangers are absolutely struggling right now, and the kids arent getting the ice time and development they need.
    The answer isn't to move the kids. The answer is to fix the team in a different direction.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll