Forums/Armchair-GM

Some Isles fans may hate this but

Created by: joshelkin
Team: 2022-23 New York Islanders
Initial Creation Date: Dec. 5, 2022
Published: Dec. 6, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I think this is the perfect Kane trade. It maximizes value from CHI's side in a tough situation and it gives the Isles their star winger, keeps him around, and is better use of the cap

Gets rid of Bailey. Adds Kane for a number of years. Allows Beauvillier to go back to LW and should do well on that line. Keeps Lee/Nelson together and allows for some flexibility to use the PPP 3rd line or swap with Wahlstrom (old linemates are Parise and Pageau). 7D in Jack Johnson is nothing too special but it does help for a playoff run.
Trades
NYI
  1. Johnson, Jack
  2. Kane, Patrick
Additional Details:
Extends $8x3

Kane = 1st + Dufour
Taking Bailey = free Salo
Value increases because he extends = Iskhakov

Isles add Jack Johnson as a veteran 7D for the playoffs just in case
CHI
  1. Bailey, Josh
  2. Dufour, William
  3. Iskhakov, Ruslan
  4. Salo, Robin
  5. 2023 1st round pick (NYI)
Additional Details:
Kane controls his destination, so with limited suitors his price via trade may not be as high as you would expect it to be.

If Chicago is willing to take back Bailey, the Isles would pay them to do that. CHI could also retain 50% on him and flip to another team for additional assets.

Trading Bailey keeps NYI cap flexibility open beyond this season and Chicago doesn't need to waste a retention spot on Kane. We can fit him without it. May help Chicago maximize other deals if they retain on Toews/Domi/Athanasiou/Bailey etc
Buyouts
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$82,500,000$76,903,296$245,796$1,287,500$5,596,704
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the New York Islanders
$4,150,000$4,150,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$7,000,000$7,000,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
$2,625,000$2,625,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 1
$7,000,000$7,000,000
LW
NTC
UFA - 4
$6,000,000$6,000,000
C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$537,500$538K)
RW
RFA - 1
$750,000$750,000 (Performance Bonus$750,000$750K)
LW
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$5,000,000$5,000,000
RW, LW
NTC
UFA - 3
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$2,500,000$2,500,000
C
UFA - 5
$1,750,000$1,750,000
RW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,750,000$5,750,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 7
$6,150,000$6,150,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 8
$4,000,000$4,000,000
G
UFA - 2
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LD
RFA - 3
$4,000,000$4,000,000
RD
RFA - 3
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$825,000$825,000
LD
UFA - 2
$1,450,000$1,450,000
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
$950,000$950,000
LD
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333
RW
RFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
RW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Dec. 6, 2022 at 3:30 p.m.
BenIslandersFan
I think this could happen, but I don't know if Lou will trade Bailey mid season. (I would love him to, I just don't know if I see him doing it.) With that being said if Isles got rid of Bailey the may have to get rid of Dufour like you put. I don't know about Ishakov and Salo in the deal as well. Overall that's a very big haul for Kane but getting rid of bailey helps the islanders past this year so could happen.
Dec. 6, 2022 at 4:37 p.m.
So wheres the payment for Bailey then? Salo and Iskhakov definitely don't hold enough value to pay for dumping him.
Dec. 6, 2022 at 4:59 p.m.
Josh Anderson Sucks
Quoting: Garak
So wheres the payment for Bailey then? Salo and Iskhakov definitely don't hold enough value to pay for dumping him.

bro what 💀
Dec. 6, 2022 at 5:10 p.m.
Quoting: oliver_wahlstrom
bro what 💀

Am I speaking a different language or something?
Dec. 6, 2022 at 5:10 p.m.
With no retention on Kaner, this offer definitely gets a conversation started. The 2023 1st and DuFour are attractive pieces. To me, Iskhakov is the definition of a boom or bust prospect. Salo is of no real value to the Hawks. They have a glut of left shot D. My feeling is Hawks would ask for another pick (2024 3rd??) in place of Salo. Bailey's not as attractive as Beau but he's still a decent player - probably just overpaid for what he provides.
Dec. 6, 2022 at 5:52 p.m.
Quoting: Hawksguy81
With no retention on Kaner, this offer definitely gets a conversation started. The 2023 1st and DuFour are attractive pieces. To me, Iskhakov is the definition of a boom or bust prospect. Salo is of no real value to the Hawks. They have a glut of left shot D. My feeling is Hawks would ask for another pick (2024 3rd??) in place of Salo. Bailey's not as attractive as Beau but he's still a decent player - probably just overpaid for what he provides.

Retention is moot. If a team is offering better pieces but the team making the offer requires retention, CHI takes that offer over this one all day. Also Bailey is a cap dump that needs to be paid for. Even if Kane will only go to NYI, CHI should be asking for different pieces.
Hawksguy81 liked this.
Dec. 6, 2022 at 6:14 p.m.
Josh Anderson Sucks
Am I speaking a different language or something?

I sure hope you are
Dec. 6, 2022 at 6:18 p.m.
I sure hope you are

What do you suppose Iskhakov and Salo are worth?
Dec. 6, 2022 at 6:20 p.m.
Josh Anderson Sucks
What do you suppose Iskhakov and Salo are worth?

I think that they are worth more than just dumping a year and 20 games of Bailey lmao.
Dec. 6, 2022 at 6:22 p.m.
I think that they are worth more than just dumping a year and 20 games of Bailey lmao.

Cool. Then keep them or sell them to someone else. After that, we can talk about pieces that actually have value to CHI.
Dec. 6, 2022 at 6:28 p.m.
Josh Anderson Sucks
Cool. Then keep them or sell them to someone else. After that, we can talk about pieces that actually have value to CHI.

if you dont think they have value to Chicago, you are just lying lmao.
Dec. 6, 2022 at 6:32 p.m.
if you dont think they have value to Chicago, you are just lying lmao.

Ok, bud. Good talk.
Dec. 6, 2022 at 6:45 p.m.
Retention is moot. If a team is offering better pieces but the team making the offer requires retention, CHI takes that offer over this one all day. Also Bailey is a cap dump that needs to be paid for. Even if Kane will only go to NYI, CHI should be asking for different pieces.

Only thing I don't agree w/ is that retention is moot. If that slot isn't used on Kaner, it can be used on someone else, improving the return on that deal. Maybe even a flip of Bailey. Bailey is still a useful player. He's just not a $5m player. Same as Tyler Johnson.

What pieces do you see in this deal? Just curious.
Dec. 6, 2022 at 10:14 p.m.
Quoting: Hawksguy81
Only thing I don't agree w/ is that retention is moot. If that slot isn't used on Kaner, it can be used on someone else, improving the return on that deal. Maybe even a flip of Bailey. Bailey is still a useful player. He's just not a $5m player. Same as Tyler Johnson.

What pieces do you see in this deal? Just curious.

Retention is moot because it is only for this season. If it were any longer than that it would be different. The whole point of conserving retention slots is to make sure we have enough for Kane and Toews should they ask for a trade. Also, I would agree with you if this were last season or the summer, but this season, prior to injury, Tyler Johnson was pretty CHI's best forward. So, him and Bailey are not the same. Bailey has been playing awful hockey for quite a while now. He has been considered a cap dump going all the way back to this time last year and maybe even longer. He isn't useful at the NHL level anymore. So, unless Davidson just doesn't care about being compensated and wants him to take up a roster spot and get us to the cap floor, I don't consider him anything more than that.

What I see is Iskhakov is a guy who will never really make it past the AHL level. He'll be a tweener for a couple years before he becomes an AHL lifer or goes back to Russia. A good couple months isn't going to change that. He doesn't have the build, speed, or compete level for any sort of sustained success at the NHL level. Probably the same with Salo. It's pretty much what Salo has already been, a tweener that just can't seem to stick at the NHL level. Maybe a 3rd pairing d-man on a mediocre NHL team. Plus we have plenty of LHD as it is, and most of them would have him quickly moving down CHI's depth chart within a year or so. Neither of them can skate that well and neither have much trade value, if any. So that leaves Dufour and a late 1st paying for Kane and then CHI taking a $5M cap dump for nothing.

This proposal is essentially paying for Kane and then sending us a handful of scraps and a dump.
Dec. 6, 2022 at 10:34 p.m.
we miss leo k
Retention is moot because it is only for this season. If it were any longer than that it would be different. The whole point of conserving retention slots is to make sure we have enough for Kane and Toews should they ask for a trade. Also, I would agree with you if this were last season or the summer, but this season, prior to injury, Tyler Johnson was pretty CHI's best forward. So, him and Bailey are not the same. Bailey has been playing awful hockey for quite a while now. He has been considered a cap dump going all the way back to this time last year and maybe even longer. He isn't useful at the NHL level anymore. So, unless Davidson just doesn't care about being compensated and wants him to take up a roster spot and get us to the cap floor, I don't consider him anything more than that.

What I see is Iskhakov is a guy who will never really make it past the AHL level. He'll be a tweener for a couple years before he becomes an AHL lifer or goes back to Russia. A good couple months isn't going to change that. He doesn't have the build, speed, or compete level for any sort of sustained success at the NHL level. Probably the same with Salo. It's pretty much what Salo has already been, a tweener that just can't seem to stick at the NHL level. Maybe a 3rd pairing d-man on a mediocre NHL team. Plus we have plenty of LHD as it is, and most of them would have him quickly moving down CHI's depth chart within a year or so. Neither of them can skate that well and neither have much trade value, if any. So that leaves Dufour and a late 1st paying for Kane and then CHI taking a $5M cap dump for nothing.

This proposal is essentially paying for Kane and then sending us a handful of scraps and a dump.

What would the retention be worth then? Because to me, asking to retain fully on Kane is gotta be a similar cost to eating the Bailey contract. Both will cost $5M this year, and while Bailey has an extra year, having him stick around in his walk year saves you the work of having to try and find another Max Domi & Andreas Athanasiou this offseason. I don't think he's really blocking anyone (correct me if I'm wrong), and if he stays healthy and produces at his normal 40ish point pace he becomes an okay chip next deadline.

And I know it's minimal value, but there is *something* to taking back cap in a Kane deal (or a Toews deal, for that matter) - if you let another team send back a $5M deal, it works the same as retaining for them without eating a slot. As I count it, Chicago has 4 assets almost guaranteed to be flipped out at the deadline - Kane, Toews, Domi, & Athanasiou. If you can take back a cap hit instead of a retention on one, you still have 3 retention slots for the other guys - and that's gotta be worth something no?

Lotta words to basically say if you think that Kane's full retention would cost a 3rd, I'd think the Isles could just pin one to the back of Bailey's jersey and have it more or less be the same, no?
Nightowl26 liked this.
Dec. 7, 2022 at 12:00 a.m.
Quoting: dannibalcorpse
What would the retention be worth then? Because to me, asking to retain fully on Kane is gotta be a similar cost to eating the Bailey contract. Both will cost $5M this year, and while Bailey has an extra year, having him stick around in his walk year saves you the work of having to try and find another Max Domi & Andreas Athanasiou this offseason. I don't think he's really blocking anyone (correct me if I'm wrong), and if he stays healthy and produces at his normal 40ish point pace he becomes an okay chip next deadline.

And I know it's minimal value, but there is *something* to taking back cap in a Kane deal (or a Toews deal, for that matter) - if you let another team send back a $5M deal, it works the same as retaining for them without eating a slot. As I count it, Chicago has 4 assets almost guaranteed to be flipped out at the deadline - Kane, Toews, Domi, & Athanasiou. If you can take back a cap hit instead of a retention on one, you still have 3 retention slots for the other guys - and that's gotta be worth something no?

Lotta words to basically say if you think that Kane's full retention would cost a 3rd, I'd think the Isles could just pin one to the back of Bailey's jersey and have it more or less be the same, no?

Not the same. But I suspect you already know that. haha.
Dec. 7, 2022 at 12:18 a.m.
Quoting: dannibalcorpse

To me, Kanes price is his price, with or without retention. Also, I personally won't buy in on Iskhakov until he is producing at the NHL level, at which point it will probably be too late. But, as of now I look at that as Dufour and a 1st paying for Kane and then an expensive cap dump paid for with some scraps. Too many times I've seen little guys like him dominate the AHL and then they can't get anything done at the NHL level. We have like two or three of them playing with our own AHL affiliate, the Rockford Icehogs, right now.
dannibalcorpse liked this.
Dec. 7, 2022 at 9:33 a.m.
we miss leo k
To me, Kanes price is his price, with or without retention. Also, I personally won't buy in on Iskhakov until he is producing at the NHL level, at which point it will probably be too late. But, as of now I look at that as Dufour and a 1st paying for Kane and then an expensive cap dump paid for with some scraps. Too many times I've seen little guys like him dominate the AHL and then they can't get anything done at the NHL level. We have like two or three of them playing with our own AHL affiliate, the Rockford Icehogs, right now.

Fair enough! I'd just as soon leave Bailey out of the trade as well if I were doing it, just enjoy playing a little devil's advocate now and then.
Garak liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll