Forums/Armchair-GM

Kane Vs Toews for the Cup

Created by: Garak
Team: 2022-23 Chicago Blackhawks
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 13, 2023
Published: Jan. 13, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
This isn't me predicting a COL vs BOS cup final, necessarily. But, wherever they do end up, just the idea of Kane and Toews going against each other in the final year of their matching contracts for the Stanley Cup would undeniably be a series for the history books. That isn't even me speaking as a Hawks fan, but as a hockey fan in general. It would be akin to Crosby and Malkin battling against each other for the cup. I can't really think of any other duo's that have played together for as long and would be as iconic as Kane vs Toews or Crosby vs Malkin.

The only thing I can think of that might be comparable, is if the Sedin's had been traded to different teams and faced each other in the cup final, since they are twins and played their entire careers in VAN together.

Just something that popped in my head that I hadn't really thought about the magnitude of until now. I know sports media would have a field day with that concept.
Trades
Buyouts
Recapture Fees
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$82,500,000$55,110,546$237,500$1,440,000$27,389,454
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
RW, C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
LW, C
RFA - 2
$3,000,000$3,000,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$1,150,000$1,150,000
RW, C, LW
UFA - 2
$800,000$800,000
LW, C
RFA - 2
$2,650,000$2,650,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
$800,000$800,000
RW, C
RFA - 2
$758,333$758,333
LW
RFA - 2
$1,200,000$1,200,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$758,333$758,333
RW
RFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
LW, C, RW
RFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$9,500,000$9,500,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 8
$3,800,000$3,800,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$1,350,000$1,350,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$4,400,000$4,400,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$883,750$883,750 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
G
RFA - 2
$950,000$950,000
LD
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
RFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
G
UFA - 1
$859,167$859,167 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
LD
RFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$975,000$975,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
LD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 13, 2023 at 9:13 a.m.
I can't really think of any other duo's that have played together for as long and would be as iconic as Kane vs Toews or Crosby vs Malkin.

Bergeron & Marchand
Garak liked this.
Jan. 13, 2023 at 9:39 a.m.
Quoting: ON3M4N
I can't really think of any other duo's that have played together for as long and would be as iconic as Kane vs Toews or Crosby vs Malkin.

Bergeron & Marchand

No disrespect to the players you mention, as it's a team sport and all, but I think they would need at least one more Cup before they're fully in that conversation. Obviously they have a great shot at that this year, so maybe they get there.
Garak, SociallyHawkward and LuckOne liked this.
Jan. 13, 2023 at 9:55 a.m.

Bergeron & Marchand

For whatever reason, the duo of Marchand and Bergeron doesn't feel like it carries the same weight. And it doesn't feel like Marchand has been around the NHL as long, when he has actually played for 13 full seasons. So if I think about it, you are probably right. Time flies though, and it's easy to lose perspective. Either way, the ratings would be through the roof if a duo like any of these were to split up and face each other in the cup final.
Leafsfan98 liked this.
Jan. 13, 2023 at 10:20 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Mcdavid and Draisaitl?

Mac and Makar?

Matthews and Marner?

Kopitar and Doughty?

Getting closer?
BrianCampbell liked this.
Jan. 13, 2023 at 10:34 a.m.
Quoting: Leafsfan98
Mcdavid and Draisaitl?

Mac and Makar?

Matthews and Marner?

Kopitar and Doughty?

Getting closer?

"Played together for as long" is key. Kopitar and Doughty are probably the closest duo you named. But like Berg and March, that duo doesn't hold quite the same weight in my eyes. Maybe I'm just being a homer, but I think Toews and Kane or Crosby and Malkin are more iconic duo's league-wide/world-wide than the others you've named. A lot of that probably has to do with commercial success, but also the impact they had on an entire generation of young players that we are seeing the results of now as their careers wind down. I'm sure McDavid, Drai, Mac, Makar, Matthews, and Marner will have their day too, but for now they are still super young and have a lot of NHL years ahead of them.

I wouldn't be surprised if McDavid and Drai are split up within a few years. Same with Matthews and Marner. Mac and Makar I could see being in COL together for a long time.
Jan. 13, 2023 at 10:47 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: Garak
"Played together for as long" is key. Kopitar and Doughty are probably the closest duo you named. But like Berg and March, that duo doesn't hold quite the same weight in my eyes. Maybe I'm just being a homer, but I think Toews and Kane or Crosby and Malkin are more iconic duo's league-wide/world-wide than the others you've named. A lot of that probably has to do with commercial success, but also the impact they had on an entire generation of young players that we are seeing the results of now as their careers wind down. I'm sure McDavid, Drai, Mac, Makar, Matthews, and Marner will have their day too, but for now they are still super young and have a lot of NHL years ahead of them.

I wouldn't be surprised if McDavid and Drai are split up within a few years. Same with Matthews and Marner. Mac and Makar I could see being in COL together for a long time.

It was worth a shot
Jan. 13, 2023 at 12:26 p.m.
Quoting: Leafsfan98
Mcdavid and Draisaitl?

Mac and Makar?

Matthews and Marner?

Kopitar and Doughty?

Getting closer?

Not really, Kopitar and Doughty was closer if anything. And that's a stretch.
Garak liked this.
Jan. 13, 2023 at 2:48 p.m.
Quoting: Anus_McLeod
No disrespect to the players you mention, as it's a team sport and all, but I think they would need at least one more Cup before they're fully in that conversation. Obviously they have a great shot at that this year, so maybe they get there.

I don't think Cups has anything to do with being an iconic duo. Over the last 5 season they're both Top 30 in production. While they don't play as much on the PK anymore, they were (and probably still would be) one of the most lethal PK duo's in the NHL. They are 2/3 of (despite Bruins fans hating the name) the perfection line. When playing internationally, Crosby advocates to play with Marchand & Bergeron.
Jan. 13, 2023 at 2:55 p.m.

They also were all very high draft picks and had a lot of hype before stepping on the ice.

Crosby - #1OA
Malkin - #2OA (would have gone #1OA if not for some guy named Ovechkin
Kane - #1OA
Toews - #3OA

If you're tying "iconic" level to cups, how about Stamkos and Kucherov? Stamkos and Hedman?
Garak liked this.
Jan. 13, 2023 at 2:55 p.m.
I don't think Cups has anything to do with being an iconic duo. Over the last 5 season they're both Top 30 in production. While they don't play as much on the PK anymore, they were (and probably still would be) one of the most lethal PK duo's in the NHL. They are 2/3 of (despite Bruins fans hating the name) the perfection line. When playing internationally, Crosby advocates to play with Marchand & Bergeron.

If you changed this to "I don't think Cups should have anything to do with being an iconic duo," then I agree. But I think the reality is that it does play a part, at least to a large portion of the population. And if any hockey writer made one of their pointless lists, I would bet Cups are mentioned as a separating factor. Again, not saying it should be that way, but just that I think it probably factors in.
Jan. 13, 2023 at 3:28 p.m.

They also were all very high draft picks and had a lot of hype before stepping on the ice.

Crosby - #1OA
Malkin - #2OA (would have gone #1OA if not for some guy named Ovechkin
Kane - #1OA
Toews - #3OA

If you're tying "iconic" level to cups, how about Stamkos and Kucherov? Stamkos and Hedman?

Quoting: Anus_McLeod
If you changed this to "I don't think Cups should have anything to do with being an iconic duo," then I agree. But I think the reality is that it does play a part, at least to a large portion of the population. And if any hockey writer made one of their pointless lists, I would bet Cups are mentioned as a separating factor. Again, not saying it should be that way, but just that I think it probably factors in.

Honestly, it doesn't really matter. The only ones with an actual possibility of being traded right now are Kane and Toews. I didn't really mean for this to become an argument about who is or isn't iconic. I just thought it'd be a pretty big spectacle if they did end up meeting in a cup series with different teams.
Jan. 13, 2023 at 7:24 p.m.
Boston has absolutely 0 need for Kane especially with the season he's having. There are cheaper options that fit the system.
Jan. 13, 2023 at 9:14 p.m.
Quoting: Cdn_bacon
Boston has absolutely 0 need for Kane especially with the season he's having. There are cheaper options that fit the system.

Literally just read the description.
Jan. 13, 2023 at 11:49 p.m.
Literally just read the description.

I did, has nothing about how Kane doesn't fit Boston's system.
Jan. 14, 2023 at 7:24 a.m.
I did, has nothing about how Kane doesn't fit Boston's system.

This has nothing to do with what team they might fit. The team that Kane goes to doesn't have to be BOS. It is simply about a hypothetical situation in which they meet in the playoffs, and how interesting that would be to watch. Nothing more. But if you actually read the description and comprehended it without skimming through and weren't just looking for any reason to start an argument, you would understand that.
Jan. 14, 2023 at 12:50 p.m.
Honestly, it doesn't really matter. The only ones with an actual possibility of being traded right now are Kane and Toews. I didn't really mean for this to become an argument about who is or isn't iconic. I just thought it'd be a pretty big spectacle if they did end up meeting in a cup series with different teams.

It may be a spectacle for Chicago fans and I'm sure the NHL would try and make a big deal out of it. I don't know if many fans outside of the Chicago market would really care though.
Jan. 14, 2023 at 6:13 p.m.
This has nothing to do with what team they might fit. The team that Kane goes to doesn't have to be BOS. It is simply about a hypothetical situation in which they meet in the playoffs, and how interesting that would be to watch. Nothing more. But if you actually read the description and comprehended it without skimming through and weren't just looking for any reason to start an argument, you would understand that.

Then pick a different team that might realistically want him for your lukewarm example
Jan. 14, 2023 at 9:56 p.m.
Then pick a different team that might realistically want him for your lukewarm example

Aww! I'm sorry, bud. Did I hurt your feelings with my hypothetical situation? Won't happen again.
Jan. 14, 2023 at 10:11 p.m.
It may be a spectacle for Chicago fans and I'm sure the NHL would try and make a big deal out of it. I don't know if many fans outside of the Chicago market would really care though.

I mean... yeah, maybe. Out of market hockey fans probably dont care as much as they used to. But there was a time where for like 10 years straight Kane and Toews were the highest selling jerseys in the league and you used to see a ton of them in other arena's at every away game. They were a league wide spectacle for a lot of years. Like to the point where cheers for the hawks in other teams arena's were louder than they were for the home team on an absurd amount of occasions.
Jan. 15, 2023 at 9:14 a.m.
I mean... yeah, maybe. Out of market hockey fans probably dont care as much as they used to. But there was a time where for like 10 years straight Kane and Toews were the highest selling jerseys in the league and you used to see a ton of them in other arena's at every away game. They were a league wide spectacle for a lot of years. Like to the point where cheers for the hawks in other teams arena's were louder than they were for the home team on an absurd amount of occasions.

You have a source that confirms 10 years of top jersey sales? While they maybe have been 1-2 in sales 7yrs ago, Toews didn't crack the top 10 last year and Kane barley made the top 10. Freaking Flower outsold them and finished 3rd in jersey sales. For them to have be the top selling jersey for 10 straight years that would have been roughly 60% of their careers.

Again Chicago fans would think a Towes vs Kane SCF would interesting, but idk if many other NHL fans would care.
Garak liked this.
Jan. 15, 2023 at 11:00 p.m.
Aww! I'm sorry, bud. Did I hurt your feelings with my hypothetical situation? Won't happen again.

I'm not the one coping with multiple people saying the same thing about this.
Garak liked this.
Jan. 15, 2023 at 11:46 p.m.
You have a source that confirms 10 years of top jersey sales? While they maybe have been 1-2 in sales 7yrs ago, Toews didn't crack the top 10 last year and Kane barley made the top 10. Freaking Flower outsold them and finished 3rd in jersey sales. For them to have be the top selling jersey for 10 straight years that would have been roughly 60% of their careers.

Again Chicago fans would think a Towes vs Kane SCF would interesting, but idk if many other NHL fans would care.

Well, I may have embellished a bit on the jersey sales. But I know I have read through the years that they have topped the charts multiple times, and they also both remained in the top 10 sold jerseys in the NHL for most of their careers. If you're asking if I have some comprehensive list of jersey sales extending back to 2007, though, the answer is no, not readily available. But a quick google search produced results that corresponded pretty closely with that claim. I think there are a lot of hockey fans that would think it was interesting, maybe not everyone would be as excited as CHI fans, but the dynamic would certainly draw a lot of media attention.
Jan. 15, 2023 at 11:47 p.m.
I'm not the one coping with multiple people saying the same thing about this.

Yeah. I'm really having a hard time coping. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll