(SJS/COL) - Merkley, Nieto for MacDonald, Kaut

Who won the trade?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Jan. 26, 2023 at 5:26 p.m.
Stovetop
Quoting: majormoose007
Merkley for Kaut is a wash as of now and Nieto > McDonald so I voted the Avs

I have a feeling the Sharks are going to send McDonald down to the AHL to make their D-core better there. Kaut is a huge upgrade to their offensive depth with the Cuda.

I watched a lot of Cuda this year and Merkley tries to do WAY too much and just doesn't seem to have the defensive fundamentals to be a successful pro. They need someone more stable on their blueline.
Jan. 26, 2023 at 10:02 p.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: eazy_duz_it
This is a slam dunk trade for the sharks. I've liked what grier is doing and I would like to see his moves in the offseason. Merkley is an undersized bum to say the least, and I don't think he will ever play decent NHL minutes for very long. I do think kaut can be a future bottom six guy for a little while. McDonald for nieto is fair but gives each team what they need. While the Avalanche do well in the trade, I think this is a fantastic deal for the sharks.

This sounds like Jack Edward's if he were a sharks fan
eazy_duz_it and BruinsCharlies liked this.
Jan. 26, 2023 at 10:26 p.m.
MOVE THE COYOTES
Pretty good for both. But Id say the avs win.
Jan. 26, 2023 at 11:10 p.m.
jeremy clackston
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS

damn dawg you didnt have to insult me like that lol
Jan. 27, 2023 at 10:32 a.m.
Quoting: AStovetop
I have a feeling the Sharks are going to send McDonald down to the AHL to make their D-core better there. Kaut is a huge upgrade to their offensive depth with the Cuda.

I watched a lot of Cuda this year and Merkley tries to do WAY too much and just doesn't seem to have the defensive fundamentals to be a successful pro. They need someone more stable on their blueline.

MacDonald would need to pass through waivers. Given how nice his contract is ($762,500 this year and next), he’d be a good option for a lot of teams. I would imagine he stays up in the NHL for a while while the Sharks see what they have. He’s played both forward and defense in the NHL (much better as a defenseman) so he’s a pretty flexible option.

Kaut is in the AHL now, but he’s also not waiver exempt. Makes a call up for him a bit more challenging.
Jan. 27, 2023 at 10:52 a.m.
Stovetop
Quoting: turtlemountain
MacDonald would need to pass through waivers. Given how nice his contract is ($762,500 this year and next), he’d be a good option for a lot of teams. I would imagine he stays up in the NHL for a while while the Sharks see what they have. He’s played both forward and defense in the NHL (much better as a defenseman) so he’s a pretty flexible option.

Kaut is in the AHL now, but he’s also not waiver exempt. Makes a call up for him a bit more challenging.

Yeah I'm not really sure what the plan is. Kaut is 100% staying in the AHL until injuries or a mass-exodus from trades. As for the D-men for the Sharks, Knyzhov will be back soon after his conditioning stint in the AHL, but we still have 7 D on the roster, 1 on IR, and 1 on LTIR. My guess is Harrington would be the guy to be sent down and risk losing to wavers. Or possibly Simek (or both) when he's healthy
Jan. 27, 2023 at 7:16 p.m.
Steve Durbano Fan
Quoting: Nathaniel
Another weird trade for Grier, who downgrades on forward and defense with this trade. Weird they didn't get so much as a draft pick back as an incentive. Grier seems to be pretty keen on trading away young players as of late. Kaut could be something, but he isn't enough for me to move Merkley without getting anything back. Plus, knowing Colorado's luck, Merkley will become the stud everyone thought he would.

It's not like this is going to hurt San Jose at all considering Merkley requested a trade, it's just weird. Hopefully Nieto didn't sell his place in Colorado

I think San Jose gains defensively as Merkley is a complete miss but then so is Kautb so it becomes Nieto for MacDonald which Colorado wins hands down. Maybe Grier sees Nieto as worthless.
Jan. 28, 2023 at 10:36 a.m.
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS

Quoting: eazy_duz_it
damn dawg you didnt have to insult me like that lol

Lol, all in fun as he chastises your exuberance. You keep being you. Jack Edwards on the other hand should consider your profile name before he renders his views on Bruins broadcasts shaking my head.
Jan. 28, 2023 at 12:21 p.m.
Torresing
Quoting: SnakeDelilah
daily reminder that grier still thinks he can get 3 first-rounders for karlsson

Grier himself said that he never said that. Seravalli is a moron.
Feb. 11, 2023 at 6:18 p.m.
Quoting: Steve_Durbanofan11
Maybe Grier sees Nieto as worthless.

Exactly! Neito is worth nothing to San Jose because he’s a pending UFA and they’re out of it this year. MacDonald may not be as good as Nieto, but he’s signed for next year, which makes him much more useful to the Sharks. Colorado has their eyes on winning the cup again this year, so they just want the best player regardless of contract status. I don’t think there’s much more to it than that.

It doesn’t seem like it should have been necessary to include the prospects, and they seem pretty much equal anyway, so I agree with those who said this is more like two separate trades. Probably Colorado’s AHL team needed a defenseman and San Jose’s needed a forward, or the GMs just decided to see if these guys might do better in a different organization.

Nieto has now had two stints with San Jose and two with Colorado. I don't remember anybody going back and forth between the same two teams twice like that. I hope he goes back to San Jose when he becomes a UFA this summer.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit