Trade Theory

Created by: Younginthe6
Team: 2022-23 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 15, 2023
Published: Feb. 15, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
***THIS IS ALL FANTASY/FOR FUN***

Hear me out. The Leafs are splitting up Matthews and Marner for tonight's game vs. Chicago. Kerfoot moves to 2nd line LW which he is not suited for at this point. No trades happen today since it's gameday, but Dubas and Davidson sit down tonight and get a deal done after the game. Patty Kane stays in Toronto and the rest of the team flies out, Kane has a couple days to have some of his things shipped here before the next game on Saturday. Matthews has Kane placed on his RW and Willy moves down to play 2LW with Tavares and Marner.

Also, say that this is underpay sure but Kane has a full no trade and Toronto has all the leverage. This guy isn't going for as much as people think. Old, UFA, injury, bad season, full no move, Kane will not be much more expensive than this. Dubas unwilling to move our 1st for a rental.

THIS IS NOT THE ONLY TRADE, MORE WILL FOLLOW. KNIES POTENTIALLY ADDED TO BOTTOM 6.
Trades
TOR
  1. Kane, Patrick ($5,250,000 retained)
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$82,500,000$74,415,413$212,500$0$8,084,587
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$950,000$950,000
LW
UFA - 1
$11,640,250$11,640,250
C
UFA - 2
Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
-$2,625,000-$2,625,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 1
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 2
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 3
$10,903,000$10,903,000
RW
UFA - 3
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$1,500,000$1,500,000
C
UFA - 1
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$840,630$840,630
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$827,500$827,500
C, LW
RFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,500,000$7,500,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 8
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
NTC
UFA - 2
$4,687,500$4,687,500
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$800,000$800,000
LD
UFA - 2
$1,800,000$1,800,000
G
UFA - 1
$1,400,000$1,400,000
LD
UFA - 2
$1,400,000$1,400,000
RD
RFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$850,000$850,000
RD
RFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$750,000$750,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$5,625,000$5,625,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 2
$766,667$766,667
G
RFA - 3
$750,000$750,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 15, 2023 at 9:11 a.m.
Toronto is the team that needs to add and try to win a cup within the next 2 years. They really dont have a shred of leverage

The Hawks easily decline this tears of joy not even close, this is something you offer for a 4th liner not a top 6 forward, and in this case your RW1
Feb. 15, 2023 at 9:14 a.m.
I agree, Patrick Kane has the leverage with his NMC. I'd argue that if youre adding Robertson you should be able to get Lafferty as well. Not sure people realize the player holds all the cards. The team (Chicago) doesnt hold the leverage. If the player says I'm only going to Toronto, what else can the team do.
Feb. 15, 2023 at 9:15 a.m.
Quoting: Salzy
Toronto is the team that needs to add and try to win a cup within the next 2 years. They really dont have a shred of leverage

The Hawks easily decline this tears of joy not even close, this is something you offer for a 4th liner not a top 6 forward, and in this case your RW1

Make the 3rd a 2024 1st then, but I don't think Dubas is spending a 1st on a rental. Made that mistake once for Foligno, pretty much the same situation as here, going after an older injured forward to play in the top 6. Won't be too expensive.
Feb. 15, 2023 at 9:16 a.m.
c'mon.

I honestly think Chicago would rather lose him for nothing in free agency than take this package
Feb. 15, 2023 at 9:18 a.m.
Quoting: Juice
c'mon.

I honestly think Chicago would rather lose him for nothing in free agency than take this package

What's your offer then? Robertson is still a young player with potential. Could replace Anderson with someone like Abruzzesse/Steeves/McMann if you want but I'd like to hear your offer
Feb. 15, 2023 at 9:33 a.m.
Quoting: Younginthe6
What's your offer then? Robertson is still a young player with potential. Could replace Anderson with someone like Abruzzesse/Steeves/McMann if you want but I'd like to hear your offer

First, you're going on the assumption that Toronto is the only team available to trade for him. I get that's based on the news that came out this week but it's probably more reasonable to think that Kane would be open to going to any cup contender. Add Tampa, Boston, Colorado as well as others like vegas and LA. Even if Chicago gets a list of 2-3 teams from Kane they'll be able to generate value.

What would I offer? That's a tough question because I think the assets we would need to get Kane at 50% retained could be better used elsewhere. But either a Knies or a 1st rounder would be headed the other way. Kerfoot has to be in there for salary balance. He doesn't add anything negative or positive to the scale. I know Dubas said he's not giving either up for a rental but if he strikes out with a Meier or Chychurn or other bigger name add and he has a deal on the table with Chicago, I'm sure he'll pull the trigger.

Robertson, realistically, doesn't have a great deal of trade value right now. His health and inability to stick in the NHL make him more of a throw-in asset rather than one that can tip the scales on a big name trade. If he's moved I expect it to be for a Barbashev type add.

So probably a 1st, Kerfoot, prospect + probably one other piece.
dannibalcorpse liked this.
Feb. 15, 2023 at 9:57 a.m.
TheRealKyleDavidson
This trade is straight up disrespectful. The media is overblowing this “major hip injury”. He was in more pain last year yet he put up 92 points. One of the best RW if not the best winger of the past decade doesnt just drop in production like this out of no where. Anyone who has watched a hawks game this year knows that he still has the skill and talent that he had previous seasons. He’s playing with nobodies and uncreative players. Anything that doesn’t include a first is ludicrous.
Garak liked this.
Feb. 15, 2023 at 9:58 a.m.
Kane has all the leverage in this situation. The full no move makes it so he can only go where he wants. Let's say Toronto is that team (I think it's dallas) then they probably wouldn't have to move the sun and the moon to get him. Is he a 1st round pick quality player? Yes but with the injury I could see a conditional pick to get the deal done ie conference finals and Kane plays 80% of the games a 2nd runs into a 1st. They probably like Robertson as we've seen they like reclamation projects.

At the end of the day Kane has to make up his mind cause only he has the power to make something happen
Feb. 15, 2023 at 10:09 a.m.
Quoting: Salzy

If hes the only team he wants to go to, and they dont wanna lose him for nothing, then yeah they have leverage lol. Hall and Giroux both said to their GMs they wanted one team. and the returns they got were much cheaper than anticipated. I'm not saying this trade is fair, but to say they dont have leverage if they are the team he wants to go to just isnt true
Feb. 15, 2023 at 10:50 a.m.
Edited Feb. 15, 2023 at 4:23 p.m.
This flurry of TOR fans creating these low ball offers is beyond annoying. One little speculative or hearsay report comes out and they just run with it like gospel and think they can fleece everyone. All these monkeys from all over the league that show up on CapFriendly at TDL time and then are gone most of the rest of the year, just need to either get a real grip on the trade market or not come here anymore.
Feb. 15, 2023 at 11:06 a.m.
TheRealKyleDavidson
Quoting: In_it_to_winnik
Kane has all the leverage in this situation. The full no move makes it so he can only go where he wants. Let's say Toronto is that team (I think it's dallas) then they probably wouldn't have to move the sun and the moon to get him. Is he a 1st round pick quality player? Yes but with the injury I could see a conditional pick to get the deal done ie conference finals and Kane plays 80% of the games a 2nd runs into a 1st. They probably like Robertson as we've seen they like reclamation projects.

At the end of the day Kane has to make up his mind cause only he has the power to make something happen

Bowman likes reclamation projects. Davidson doesn’t unless he gets assets back in return. We saw that with the Nylander trade. If there is a player seen as a cap dump with a sweetener, then sure jump on that trade davidson. However, Robertson isn’t a cap dump and wouldn’t have any asset attached. I don’t see davidson pulling the trigger on Robertson.
Feb. 15, 2023 at 12:49 p.m.
Quoting: TheRealKyleDavidson
Bowman likes reclamation projects. Davidson doesn’t unless he gets assets back in return. We saw that with the Nylander trade. If there is a player seen as a cap dump with a sweetener, then sure jump on that trade davidson. However, Robertson isn’t a cap dump and wouldn’t have any asset attached. I don’t see davidson pulling the trigger on Robertson.

Lafferty, Raddysh, Dickinson, Domi are all sorta reclamation projects imo. I'm not high on Robertson but he has had success at every level. Simply can't stay healthy (done for the season). Hes a worth while buy for a team looking for young talent with potential. I didn't say he's the only asset going back.
Conditional pick (up to 1st) , cap dump and prospect seems like a deal that benefits both sides and will do right for a player that has given everything for Chicago. I still think he moves to Dallas to play with Seguin. Gurionov probably goes back in that deal as a player that could do better in a different environment.
Feb. 15, 2023 at 1:03 p.m.
Lafferty, Raddysh, Dickinson, Domi are all sorta reclamation projects imo. I'm not high on Robertson but he has had success at every level. Simply can't stay healthy (done for the season). Hes a worth while buy for a team looking for young talent with potential. I didn't say he's the only asset going back.
Conditional pick (up to 1st) , cap dump and prospect seems like a deal that benefits both sides and will do right for a player that has given everything for Chicago. I still think he moves to Dallas to play with Seguin. Gurionov probably goes back in that deal as a player that could do better in a different environment.

If I'm Chicago I'm taking Robertson over Gurianov, younger player with more potential (even though he's been injury prone so far). Gurianov is a solid player but further along in his development and his career, not exactly what Chicago needs at the moment unless they plan to continue to be mediocre

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll