Forums/Armchair-GM

Adding around the fringes for an all in approach

Created by: leafs101
Team: 2022-23 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 18, 2023
Published: Feb. 18, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Sandin, Timmins, Gio, Holl all rotate in regular season and best of Sandin, Timmins, Holl (Gio locked in) plays game 1. Holmberg, ZAR, and Knies battle out for the last 2 spots up front. If Knies wins it, Acciari to 4th line and go Knies - ROR - Willy. Korpi adds cheap option in case goalies get hurt, also has decent playoff experience. Better than having to turn to rookie Woll or Kallgren mid playoffs.

Dumo - I've seen Pens fans wanting to move him and I get he's probably seen some decline but he could be a cheap vet D Muzzin replacement alternative? Not sure if I'm right on the price either, really want Pens fan input here, much appreciated.

Also want some input on Canucks trade, I feel like the frame could work. But given our pick situation if it would take an extra pick I don't think it can really be done.

I would love to see 3 spread out lines but there are endless options. I think playing all three lines equally at 5v5 gives three solid lines that don't have to play so many minutes and wear out over a long series or run. The big guys will get fewer minutes, but still a lot with end of game scenarios, mismatch scenarios, special teams, etc. Like every icing why not throw out Matthews/JT/Willy/Marner knowing you could come back next with a shutdown Kampf - ROR - Jarnkrok or something? Endless possibilities.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$925,000
Trades
TOR
  1. Dumoulin, Brian ($2,050,000 retained)
Additional Details:
I've seen Pens fans wanting him moved. Has he been that bad? Based on his pedigree I think he could be a viable Muzzin replacement at not that bad a cost?
PIT
  1. Robertson, Nicholas
  2. 2024 5th round pick (TOR)
Additional Details:
Robertson for Dumoulin.
5th to third party for retaining. Unless PIT can do it then they keep the 5th.

I don't really know what the price on Dumo is but it seems like Pens fans are willing to move him out? No idea man but might not be bad at a cheap price for the Leafs.
TOR
  1. Korpisalo, Joonas
Additional Details:
Not the actual deal. Leafs move Engvall for a 4th-ish and then flip that to CBJ in this deal. Opens up a contract slot with Kallgren, while giving a replacement depth G option for CBJ.
CBJ
  1. Engvall, Pierre
  2. Källgren, Erik
  3. 2023 6th round pick (TOR)
Additional Details:
Korpi likely not getting re-signed but also likely doesn't have THAT much value despite a decent season, given Leafs insurance with some playoff experience.
TOR
  1. Garland, Conor ($1,450,000 retained)
Additional Details:
Is Niemela enticing enough for this type of deal basically one for one given the Canucks need for RD? Genuine question, just trying to understand what our all in options might look like. Thanks.
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$82,500,000$82,348,746$212,500$0$151,254
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$950,000$950,000
LW
UFA - 1
$11,640,250$11,640,250
C
UFA - 2
Logo of the Vancouver Canucks
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 4
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 3
$10,903,000$10,903,000
RW
UFA - 3
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 2
$1,875,000$1,875,000
C
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$827,500$827,500
C, LW
RFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
C
UFA - 1
$840,630$840,630
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,500,000$7,500,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 8
$1,400,000$1,400,000
RD
RFA - 2
$1,800,000$1,800,000
G
UFA - 1
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$2,050,000$2,050,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
NTC
UFA - 2
$4,687,500$4,687,500
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$800,000$800,000
LD
UFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets
$1,300,000$1,300,000
G
UFA - 1
$5,625,000$5,625,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 2
$1,400,000$1,400,000
LD
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$850,000$850,000
RD
RFA - 1
Taxi Squad
$925,000$925,000 ($0$0$0$0)
LW, RW
RFA - 3
$750,000$750,000 ($0$0$0$0)
RW
RFA - 1
$766,667$766,667 ($0$0$0$0)
G
RFA - 3
$750,000$750,000 ($0$0$0$0)
LD/RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 18, 2023 at 2:12 p.m.
Rip
This is moving deck chairs around. A waste of assets for no gains.
Feb. 18, 2023 at 2:14 p.m.
GoNucks
That’s a lot to ask of the Canucks to retain that much for that long. You’re right that Niemola would be involved in that kind of deal, and a one for one swap could work without retention . I don’t see that Leafs taking garland at full cap. Just not sure there’s a fit here.
leafs101 liked this.
Feb. 18, 2023 at 2:16 p.m.
Quoting: RipNasty
This is moving deck chairs around. A waste of assets for no gains.

provides playoff insurance. We're already so invested. Garland is an upgrade on Kerfoot taking center option aside, which now doesn't really matter for us given, well the best 1 through 6 center options in the league imo (AM - JT - ROR - Kampf - Acciari - Holmberg all viable options up the middle). Think his game would complement Matthews well. Then Dumo provides that vet shutdown D presence playing with Brodie to try and replace the Muzzin effect at an affordable asset cost. Lastly I really hope we get some goalie insurance given Murray's injury history and Sammy's unproven-ness (I believe in him, but I don't want to have no NHLers to turn to if things went wrong or if he got hurt too over a long playoff run).

Maybe a bit of deck chair shuffling, but adds some insurance and only moves out Kerfoot in terms of NHLers. Robertson I think is going to get his shot elsewhere at this point, and I don't love losing Niemela but gotta do what you gotta do sometimes.
Feb. 18, 2023 at 2:18 p.m.
Quoting: JohnJohnson
That’s a lot to ask of the Canucks to retain that much for that long. You’re right that Niemola would be involved in that kind of deal, and a one for one swap could work without retention . I don’t see that Leafs taking garland at full cap. Just not sure there’s a fit here.

yea. fair. I suppose it comes down to how much the Nucks value Niemela and how much they think they need that 1.495M over the next two seasons. But I do think this is close enough to be plausible. Especially if you guys could flip Kerfoot for something decent by retaining which I'm fairly certain you could, he's a great swiss army knife for any contender and teams would jump all over him especially at 1.75M.
JohnJohnson liked this.
Feb. 18, 2023 at 2:30 p.m.
Pens absolutely should accept this
Feb. 18, 2023 at 2:31 p.m.
Quoting: pensfan21
Pens absolutely should accept this

what's the deal with Dumo? Why? He used to be absolutely elite as a shutdown D. I know he's had an off year but that bad? Could the Leafs even squeeze a pick out of PIT doing a deal like this?
Feb. 18, 2023 at 2:44 p.m.
Rip
Quoting: leafs101
provides playoff insurance. We're already so invested. Garland is an upgrade on Kerfoot taking center option aside, which now doesn't really matter for us given, well the best 1 through 6 center options in the league imo (AM - JT - ROR - Kampf - Acciari - Holmberg all viable options up the middle). Think his game would complement Matthews well. Then Dumo provides that vet shutdown D presence playing with Brodie to try and replace the Muzzin effect at an affordable asset cost. Lastly I really hope we get some goalie insurance given Murray's injury history and Sammy's unproven-ness (I believe in him, but I don't want to have no NHLers to turn to if things went wrong or if he got hurt too over a long playoff run).

Maybe a bit of deck chair shuffling, but adds some insurance and only moves out Kerfoot in terms of NHLers. Robertson I think is going to get his shot elsewhere at this point, and I don't love losing Niemela but gotta do what you gotta do sometimes.

Garland is massively overrated. He's Kerfoot but better offensively and worse defensively. Engvall frustrates many but he's also extremely effective at keeping the puck out of his net. He'll be a great winger for ROR as he is very good at taking the puck up ice with control. Unless you are getting Meier, there is no one else that helps this team improve. The defenceman available are all not very good. There just isn't a Muzzin replacement. People point to McCabe but Sandin is more physical. It's just all make moves to make moves. Less is more sometimes and unless we can add a defenceman who actually fills that shutdown role without taking away from what we have, there is no point in making a move. Unless it's for Meier
Feb. 18, 2023 at 2:52 p.m.
Quoting: RipNasty
Garland is massively overrated. He's Kerfoot but better offensively and worse defensively. Engvall frustrates many but he's also extremely effective at keeping the puck out of his net. He'll be a great winger for ROR as he is very good at taking the puck up ice with control. Unless you are getting Meier, there is no one else that helps this team improve. The defenceman available are all not very good. There just isn't a Muzzin replacement. People point to McCabe but Sandin is more physical. It's just all make moves to make moves. Less is more sometimes and unless we can add a defenceman who actually fills that shutdown role without taking away from what we have, there is no point in making a move. Unless it's for Meier

I think if Dumo is cheap and can return to form given his kinda disappointing season he could absolutely be a shutdown D that could mimic some of what Muzzin brings. He was probably one the most comparable D to Muzzin's impact over the past several years actually. And I personally think Robertson needs a fresh start anyways. Garland - I think I'm one of few who really like Kerfoot for this team. I also think what he brings as a swiss army knife and defensive player is a tad diminished by last nights acquisitions. Kerfoot is a versatile, pass-always, defensive player and I think him and Garland are actually a fair bit different stylistically. Garland is more battle, get to the net, dig pucks, create some net front havoc than he is a defensive player. I think that style complements Matthews better. That said, if we plugged Kerfoot in for him in this lineup I'd still be stoked, just think if we can make even marginal upgrades, this team is worth investing more in.

If nothing more comes (provided we get a depth goalie I think we have to) I will still be excited. But I do think there is a legitimate argument for looking into some more pieces at a reasonable cost.

also to the mccabe point I think sandin at worst throws as many hits but maybe struggles with net-front and cycle-stopping positioning battles against bigger guys though. He's an incredible player, competitor, and good stick positioning which helps a ton but that's more the deficiency I look at right now in his game for which I might look to insurance options as that becomes a huge factor in playoffs (he's still young and will continue to grow into it but still)
Feb. 18, 2023 at 3:02 p.m.
what's the deal with Dumo? Why? He used to be absolutely elite as a shutdown D. I know he's had an off year but that bad? Could the Leafs even squeeze a pick out of PIT doing a deal like this?

Just has had some pretty bad leg/ankle injuries past two seasons. He's been better recently. Feel bad for him as although he hasn't been good, he's been taking all the heat when our whole defense is bad. Maybe he just needs a fresh start on a new team. I'll add too he's a really good guy and I'm sure would help locker room. So wouldn't be bad to give it a shot at half price
Feb. 18, 2023 at 3:04 p.m.
Quoting: pensfan21
Just has had some pretty bad leg/ankle injuries past two seasons. He's been better recently. Our whole defense is bad though, so maybe he just needs a fresh start on a new team. I'll add too he's a really good guy and I'm sure would help locker room. So wouldn't be bad to give it a shot at half price

thats what im thinking. Play him with a strong two way guy like Liljegren or Brodie on a team that gets a ton of D help from the forwards and just let him focus on playing his game rather than covering for an offensive style D like Letang or Rielly. And worst case Robertson gets a fresh start and Sandin who has been good comes back into the lineup.
Feb. 18, 2023 at 3:16 p.m.
Rip
I think if Dumo is cheap and can return to form given his kinda disappointing season he could absolutely be a shutdown D that could mimic some of what Muzzin brings. He was probably one the most comparable D to Muzzin's impact over the past several years actually. And I personally think Robertson needs a fresh start anyways. Garland - I think I'm one of few who really like Kerfoot for this team. I also think what he brings as a swiss army knife and defensive player is a tad diminished by last nights acquisitions. Kerfoot is a versatile, pass-always, defensive player and I think him and Garland are actually a fair bit different stylistically. Garland is more battle, get to the net, dig pucks, create some net front havoc than he is a defensive player. I think that style complements Matthews better. That said, if we plugged Kerfoot in for him in this lineup I'd still be stoked, just think if we can make even marginal upgrades, this team is worth investing more in.

If nothing more comes (provided we get a depth goalie I think we have to) I will still be excited. But I do think there is a legitimate argument for looking into some more pieces at a reasonable cost.

also to the mccabe point I think sandin at worst throws as many hits but maybe struggles with net-front and cycle-stopping positioning battles against bigger guys though. He's an incredible player, competitor, and good stick positioning which helps a ton but that's more the deficiency I look at right now in his game for which I might look to insurance options as that becomes a huge factor in playoffs (he's still young and will continue to grow into it but still)

Garland is all about transition. He's similar to Kapanen. Blow the zone look for rush chances but often leave yourself exposed. A Canucks fan sent a clip showing all his goals to prove he's a go to the dirty areas type player but over half his goals come off rushes
Feb. 18, 2023 at 9:43 p.m.
thats what im thinking. Play him with a strong two way guy like Liljegren or Brodie on a team that gets a ton of D help from the forwards and just let him focus on playing his game rather than covering for an offensive style D like Letang or Rielly. And worst case Robertson gets a fresh start and Sandin who has been good comes back into the lineup.

That won't work. He works with an elite D now in Letang. The ankle injuries have killed his first couple of steps, so he is late to ever play when he is flat footed. He actually is pretty decent when in motion in the O zone and even in transition, but he gets burned down low because of his lack of burst when standing still.
Feb. 19, 2023 at 1:19 a.m.
mostly harmless
As described, that might work for the Jackets. Although we may try to get a 3rd.
Feb. 19, 2023 at 12:45 p.m.
Quoting: brgh4life
That won't work. He works with an elite D now in Letang. The ankle injuries have killed his first couple of steps, so he is late to ever play when he is flat footed. He actually is pretty decent when in motion in the O zone and even in transition, but he gets burned down low because of his lack of burst when standing still.

letang is similar to Rielly in terms of offensive first defenceman though (not trying to start a Rielly vs Letang argument just stylistically). If you put him with a strong skating more defensive focused D like Liljegren or Brodie I think it would help. But who knows

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll