Forums/Armchair-GM

My Thoughts on their Deadline

Created by: bluspy88
Team: 2022-23 Arizona Coyotes
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 20, 2023
Published: Feb. 20, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Trying to base this off Friedman's reports and thoughts on likely teams. Let me know feedback on anyone you think should/shouldn't be moved. I have them keeping Vejmelka, as that seems like an offseason move in my opinion. Goalies traded at the deadline can be tough to do.
Trades
ARI
  1. Björnfot, Tobias
  2. Fagemo, Samuel
  3. Wagner, Austin
  4. 2023 1st round pick (LAK)
  5. 2023 3rd round pick (PIT)
  6. 2024 1st round pick (LAK)
LAK
  1. Chychrun, Jakob
Additional Details:
I know that the cap space is an issue. I can't really see the Coyotes taking the Petersen contract, but lets just assume they make the cap work somehow because of a loophole or they get another taker.
ARI
  1. Puljujärvi, Jesse
  2. 2023 3rd round pick (EDM)
  3. 2024 2nd round pick (EDM)
  4. 2024 4th round pick (EDM)
EDM
  1. Bjugstad, Nick
  2. Gostisbehere, Shayne ($2,250,000 retained)
Additional Details:
I know this could seem like a lot for two UFAs (though I wouldn't be shocked if one or both get resigned perhaps in this hypothetical). But, EDM should be going for it now, especially in a year when the west is wide open. JP doesn't have a ton of value, so they add another pick to move his cap space. They replace him with a cheaper option in Bjugstad, who if he fits well could be resigned for much less than JP's QO.
ARI
  1. 2023 6th round pick (DET)
DET
  1. Stecher, Troy
Additional Details:
No clue if he's actually out on the market, but could see a hopeful team pick him up for a cheap low round pick. Just chose DET since he's played there before and fans seemed to like him. Could be any other bubble team.
ARI
  1. Reilly, Mike
  2. 2024 3rd round pick (BOS)
Additional Details:
I'm sure the return could be more than a third, but point is: they take on Reilly for some assets so Boston can add more.
BOS
    Boston needs to clear some space for moves they'd like to make (Gavrikov?) and move him out to Arizona who could use some more filler after losing Ghost and Chychrun
    Retained Salary Transactions
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the ARI
    Logo of the LAK
    Logo of the ARI
    Logo of the ARI
    Logo of the WSH
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the ARI
    Logo of the ARI
    Logo of the ARI
    Logo of the DET
    Logo of the ARI
    Logo of the LAK
    Logo of the ARI
    Logo of the FLA
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the ARI
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the ARI
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the ARI
    Logo of the ARI
    Logo of the ARI
    Logo of the BOS
    Logo of the ARI
    Logo of the ARI
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the ARI
    Logo of the ARI
    Logo of the ARI
    Logo of the ARI
    Logo of the ARI
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    23$82,500,000$63,517,958$0$1,775,000$18,982,042
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Arizona Coyotes
    $7,150,000$7,150,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 6
    $1,775,000$1,775,000
    C, LW
    RFA - 2
    $5,850,000$5,850,000
    RW, C
    UFA - 4
    $4,300,000$4,300,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 5
    $1,750,000$1,750,000
    C, RW
    UFA - 2
    Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
    $3,000,000$3,000,000
    RW
    UFA - 1
    $2,500,000$2,500,000
    LW
    UFA - 1
    $883,750$883,750 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
    C, LW
    RFA - 1
    $1,125,875$1,125,875
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    $853,333$853,333
    LW
    RFA - 1
    $762,500$762,500
    C
    UFA - 2
    $3,200,000$3,200,000
    RW
    UFA - 2
    $775,000$775,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 2
    Logo of the Los Angeles Kings
    $1,133,333$1,133,333
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $2,500,000$2,500,000
    LD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $886,667$886,667 (Performance Bonus$32,500$32K)
    LD/RD
    RFA - 2
    $2,725,000$2,725,000
    G
    UFA - 3
    $1,550,000$1,550,000
    LD
    RFA - 1
    $863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$630,000$630K)
    RD
    RFA - 2
    $733,333$733,333
    G
    UFA - 1
    Logo of the Los Angeles Kings
    $894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$262,500$262K)
    LD
    RFA - 1
    $1,275,000$1,275,000
    RD
    UFA - 2
    Logo of the Boston Bruins
    $3,000,000$3,000,000
    LD
    UFA - 2
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $5,500,000$5,500,000
    LW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $5,291,667$5,291,667
    C, RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Feb. 20, 2023 at 9:21 p.m.
    Pop Pop
    I can't see Detroit buying anyone but Id take take stecher on our third pair right now.
    Feb. 20, 2023 at 9:21 p.m.
    Seiders on the Storm
    I don't want Stecher back.
    Feb. 20, 2023 at 9:22 p.m.
    Quoting: Jfstompers
    I can't see Detroit buying anyone but Id take take stecher on our third pair right now.

Quoting: MoreHitzSeider
    I don't want Stecher back.

The duality of man
    Jfstompers, OldNYIfan and aedoran liked this.
    Feb. 20, 2023 at 9:23 p.m.
    Seiders on the Storm
    Quoting: bluspy88
    The duality of man

What's so great about Stecher? I like that he has a dog. That's about it.
    Feb. 20, 2023 at 9:25 p.m.
    What's so great about Stecher. I liked that he has a dog. That's about it.

I was just making a joke because the two replies I got were the complete opposite.

Though, if you look at the description I wrote, I just chose DET as an example of a bubble playoff team. Its not uncommon for hopeful bubble teams to pick up depth players, like Stecher. Ottawa could be another good example. I chose DET because they were early in the alphabetical order of teams I think are playoff hopefuls, versus contenders or those out of it.
    OldNYIfan and aedoran liked this.
    Feb. 20, 2023 at 9:26 p.m.
    Seiders on the Storm
    I was just making a joke because the two replies I got were the complete opposite.

Though, if you look at the description I wrote, I just chose DET as an example of a bubble playoff team. Its not uncommon for hopeful bubble teams to pick up depth players, like Stecher. Ottawa could be another good example. I chose DET because they were early in the alphabetical order of teams I think are playoff hopefuls, versus contenders or those out of it.

I don't mind if Stevie makes a small buy at the deadline. If we're still in it. Red Wings have a tough schedule to navigate. I'd just choose a player better than Stecher which shouldn't be hard to accomplish.
    Feb. 20, 2023 at 9:29 p.m.
    I don't mind if Stevie makes a small buy at the deadline. If we're still in it. Red Wings have a tough schedule to navigate. I'd just choose a player better than Stecher which shouldn't be hard to accomplish.

I don't think that those two things are incompatible. I agree with your assessment, but think about how every year some sort of defenseman gets traded that we all god "what? why?" in reaction to it. Beaulieu comes to mind recently.
    OldNYIfan liked this.
    Feb. 20, 2023 at 9:29 p.m.
    Pop Pop
    The duality of man

LoL we don't have a giant need but I think stecher with Maatta on the 3rd pair is a good fit compared to Lindstrom who's been just fine just blah.
    OldNYIfan liked this.
    Feb. 20, 2023 at 9:30 p.m.
    Quoting: Jfstompers
    LoL we don't have a giant need but I think stecher with Maatta on the 3rd pair is a good fit compared to Lindstrom who's been just fine.

Yep don't disagree. DET was just an example team of a lower-tier playoff hopeful who usually pick up random bottom pair guys.
    OldNYIfan and aedoran liked this.
    Feb. 20, 2023 at 9:32 p.m.
    Seiders on the Storm
    I don't think that those two things are incompatible. I agree with your assessment, but think about how every year some sort of defenseman gets traded that we all god "what? why?" in reaction to it. Beaulieu comes to mind recently.

When it comes to defensemen there's not enough good or decent ones around to fill 32 teams. So we ignore the warts and overlook the roof leaks. If you're an NHL Defenseman and you have a pulse you'll find a job somewhere.

It's like NFL QB's. The demand is greater than the supply.
    bluspy88 liked this.
    Feb. 20, 2023 at 9:34 p.m.
    When it comes to defensemen there's not enough good or decent ones around to fill 32 teams. So we ignore the warts and overlook the roof leaks. If you're an NHL Defenseman and you have a pulse you'll find a job somewhere.

It's like NFL QB's. The demand is greater than the supply.

Yes I agree, hence why I included a Stetcher trade. I am not saying the Red Wings SHOULD get him, they are just an example of the type of team this season that could add a player like him.
    OldNYIfan liked this.
    Feb. 20, 2023 at 9:35 p.m.
    Seiders on the Storm
    Yes I agree, hence why I included a Stetcher trade. I am not saying the Red Wings SHOULD get him, they are just an example of the type of team this season that could add a player like him.

Too many Red Wings fans accept mediocrity. Or below average even.
    Feb. 20, 2023 at 9:41 p.m.
    Too many Red Wings fans accept mediocrity. Or below average even.

Ok, I am not a Red Wings fan to be clear. And I agree with you that its not a needle mover. But, its a thing that historically happens.
    Feb. 20, 2023 at 9:44 p.m.
    Once a Kings Fan Too
    Los Angeles has two NHL-qualified LhDs under contract for next season, and Bjornfot is one of them. So trading Bjornfot would be an odd move for Rob Blake.

Because the cap situation changes over time, the Kings' cap position isn't as dire as it may seem. Including Sean Walker in a trade for Chychrun would probably render Los Angeles cap compliant.

That being said, I don't think that the Kings are going to pay more than the 2024 first, Alex Turcotte or Sam Fa-gem-o, and Jordan Spence for Chychrun; they might add their 2023 second or a lesser prospect, but that's about it -- I don't see them trading two more first-round draft picks after having traded away the 2022 pick.
    aedoran liked this.
    Feb. 20, 2023 at 9:47 p.m.
    Quoting: OldNYIfan
    Los Angeles has two NHL-qualified LhDs under contract for next season, and Bjornfot is one of them. So trading Bjornfot would be an odd move for Rob Blake.

Because the cap situation changes over time, the Kings' cap position isn't as dire as it may seem. Including Sean Walker in a trade for Chychrun would probably render Los Angeles cap compliant.

That being said, I don't think that the Kings are going to pay more than the 2024 first, Alex Turcotte or Sam Fa-gem-o, and Jordan Spence for Chychrun; they might add their 2023 second or a lesser prospect, but that's about it -- I don't see them trading two more first-round draft picks after having traded away the 2022 pick.

I mean, adding Chychrun means they would also have two NHL LHD. I see your point. But I think that they could deal with that. I see your point about that with what they give up but, I can't imagine Arizona accepts that to be honest. I mean, EK65 got two firsts as a pending UFA.
    OldNYIfan liked this.
    Feb. 20, 2023 at 10:03 p.m.
    Once a Kings Fan Too
    I mean, adding Chychrun means they would also have two NHL LHD. I see your point. But I think that they could deal with that. I see your point about that with what they give up but, I can't imagine Arizona accepts that to be honest. I mean, EK65 got two firsts as a pending UFA.

Yeah, but Karlsson was considered one of the three best, if not THE best, defensemen in hockey at that time . . . and he's not having a bad season several years later, either.

Holding Chychrun out may have boomeranged on Arizona, too. Suppose he was traded today . . . would he be game-ready before the end of the month, after his weeks-long layoff and then some familiarization practices? And Rob Blake may be taking the same view of the Kings as some of us Los Angeles adherents have: the Kings aren't Jakob Chychrun away from contending for the Stanley Cup this season. All of which is to say that I don't think that he's going to be stampeded into overpaying for Chychrun.
    Feb. 20, 2023 at 10:08 p.m.
    Yeah, but Karlsson was considered one of the three best, if not THE best, defensemen in hockey at that time . . . and he's not having a bad season several years later, either.

Holding Chychrun out may have boomeranged on Arizona, too. Suppose he was traded today . . . would he be game-ready before the end of the month, after his weeks-long layoff and then some familiarization practices? And Rob Blake may be taking the same view of the Kings as some of us Los Angeles adherents have: the Kings aren't Jakob Chychrun away from contending for the Stanley Cup this season. All of which is to say that I don't think that he's going to be stampeded into overpaying for Chychrun.

Sure, but do you think the kings will be contending in the two seasons after this one? Which he's under contract for under 5 million for?
    Feb. 20, 2023 at 10:14 p.m.
    Once a Kings Fan Too
    Sure, but do you think the kings will be contending in the two seasons after this one? Which he's under contract for under 5 million for?

Yes, because I expect us to resolve our goaltender issues in the off-season. And I expect that there will be more quality young defensemen with greater term on the market then, too, so that Chychrun won't be the only option.
    Feb. 20, 2023 at 10:25 p.m.
    Yes, because I expect us to resolve our goaltender issues in the off-season. And I expect that there will be more quality young defensemen with greater term on the market then, too, so that Chychrun won't be the only option.

Well I disagree that there will be more but oh well.
    Feb. 20, 2023 at 11:22 p.m.
    Personally I didn't mind Stecher but Yzerman traded him to LA for a 7th rd pick.
    Feb. 21, 2023 at 2:09 p.m.
    Quoting: aedoran
    Personally I didn't mind Stecher but Yzerman traded him to LA for a 7th rd pick.

Think he has slightly more value at the moment since he's played more this year than last year but yeah, could be a 7th.
    aedoran liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll