Forums/Armchair-GM

MTL Next Year

Created by: dchill
Team: 2023-24 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 22, 2023
Published: Feb. 22, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Assumptions: MTL does not win the draft lottery (drafts between 5-9) and either picks Smith, Benson, Sale or one of the RHD, WIN & rest of league know that Dubois will leave for MTL one way or another and as a result can't get as much as a return if he's rental (FLA pick between 11-15). Other key priorities for offseason being find line mate for CC and NS and clear up logjam of LHD for prospects to get games.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
2$875,000
2$875,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$1,200,000
8$7,875,000
8$8,125,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$5,000,000
Trades
MTL
  1. 2024 2nd round pick (LAK)
  2. 2025 4th round pick (LAK)
LAK
  1. Edmundson, Joel ($1,000,000 retained)
MTL
  1. Foegele, Warren
  2. 2025 5th round pick (EDM)
EDM
  1. Hoffman, Mike ($2,250,000 retained)
MTL
  1. Dubois, Pierre-Luc [RFA Rights]
WPG
  1. Anderson, Josh
  2. Guindon, Cedrick [Reserve List]
  3. Kidney, Riley
  4. 2023 1st round pick (FLA)
  5. 2024 2nd round pick (COL)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$83,500,000$76,386,666$1,170,000$4,195,000$7,113,334
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$7,875,000$7,875,000
LW, RW
UFA - 8
$7,875,000$7,875,000
C
UFA - 7
$5,000,000$5,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 4
$8,125,000$8,125,000
C
UFA - 8
$3,362,500$3,362,500
C, RW
RFA - 3
$950,000$950,000 (Performance Bonus$3,500,000$4M)
RW, LW
RFA - 2
$1,200,000$1,200,000
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$4,450,000$4,450,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 4
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,700,000$1,700,000
C
UFA - 2
$3,400,000$3,400,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,875,000$4,875,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RD
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
G
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$420,000$420K)
LD/RD
RFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$275,000$275K)
RD
RFA - 1
$1,925,000$1,925,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$1,400,000$1,400,000
LD/RD
RFA - 2
$766,667$766,667
RD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$762,500$762,500
RD
UFA - 1
$10,500,000$10,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 3
$828,333$828,333
LD/RD
RFA - 1
$1,100,000$1,100,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 22, 2023 at 1:43 p.m.
ARAB05
How is Edmundson with this?
Feb. 22, 2023 at 1:48 p.m.
The 1st and Kidney are a good start, but the Jets aren't taking Anderson as a cap dump or a worthless prospect. Easy no for Winnipeg.

You'd need to change Anderson, guindon and the 2nd to Dach to field a competitive offer if the Jets decide on a full futures deal.

They would trade PLD elsewhere for a better return.
Billy739 liked this.
Feb. 22, 2023 at 1:48 p.m.
Edmundson won't get trade, no team will pay what Hughes is aksing, he is worth maximum a 2nd, maybe less
We don't want to retain on Hoffman, won't happen
Winnipeg won't accept that for PLD, he said he want t go to MTL but maybe he will accept to sign with another team with a conditional trade
Billy739 liked this.
Feb. 22, 2023 at 2:22 p.m.
Billy739
Quoting: Windjammer
The 1st and Kidney are a good start, but the Jets aren't taking Anderson as a cap dump or a worthless prospect. Easy no for Winnipeg.

You'd need to change Anderson, guindon and the 2nd to Dach to field a competitive offer if the Jets decide on a full futures deal.

They would trade PLD elsewhere for a better return.

I hate when you do that as i know you're capable of spending the 10 minutes to look at the player in context ,i've seen you do it.
While you're 100% right about the trade , no debate about it
You lose me at your assessments of Anderson but thats not surprising its cap vs production argument for a Power Forward. I chalk it up to Opinion and time will tell.

But your views on Guindon i find short sighted.
He's a very good player who despite his circumstance never let that effect his progress.
He fell victim to circumstances beyound his control just like Beck did and many others.

His production , goal scoring and role is just ahead of Owen Beck ranked as early as 15th OA and was taken 33rd OA i believe by MTL because like Guindon he had a year off.
Many teams were choosing players from outside the CHL at a higher rate then we traditionally see from leagues that didnt cancell their seasons.

The main difference being Beck is Stronger and Faster despite being the same age with the same circumstances.
Guindon took the year off by his own admission he never really had that chance growing up hockey dominated the year.
Beck worked out all summer on the bo flex he joked at Development camp saying all you could do in lockdown with no job was train with the tools you got.

If there was no pandemic its like Beck woulda went top 20 and Guindon woulda went as a mid 2nd early 3rd rounder
Look at the drafh history yourself compared to years past . There might have been 9 maybe 10 Canadian Junior Prospects tops
Its not common for almost half the draft to be from Europe although that many NCAA players is becoming more common.

I mean Russians are taken much later due to circumstances they got no control over
Does it make them lesser players or less valuble?
Or does it simply make them a better bargain.

We'll gladly keep Guindon
But that aside , outside Kidney and the 1st you approved of
Whats the cost to get the PLD saga done?
Feb. 22, 2023 at 2:56 p.m.
Quoting: Billy739
I hate when you do that as i know you're capable of spending the 10 minutes to look at the player in context ,i've seen you do it.
You lose me at your assessments of Anderson but thats not surprising its cap vs production argument for a Power Forward. I chalk it up to Opinion and time will tell.

He's a very good player who despite his circumstance never let that effect his progress.
He fell victim to circumstances beyound his control just like Beck did and many others.

His production , goal scoring and role is just ahead of Owen Beck ranked as early as 15th OA and was taken 33rd OA i believe by MTL because like Guindon he had a year off.
Many teams were choosing players from outside the CHL at a higher rate then we traditionally see from leagues that didnt cancell their seasons.

The main difference being Beck is Stronger and Faster despite being the same age with the same circumstances.
Guindon took the year off by his own admission he never really had that chance growing up hockey dominated the year.
Beck worked out all summer on the bo flex he joked at Development camp saying all you could do in lockdown with no job was train with the tools you got.

If there was no pandemic its like Beck woulda went top 20 and Guindon woulda went as a mid 2nd early 3rd rounder
Look at the drafh history yourself compared to years past . There might have been 9 maybe 10 Canadian Junior Prospects tops
Its not common for almost half the draft to be from Europe although that many NCAA players is becoming more common.

I mean Russians are taken much later due to circumstances they got no control over

You can like your guys, that's fine. Everybody likes their own guys. I don't need to spend a lot of time trying to evaluate Guindon and Anderson, they are what they are.

Guindon is a 4th round, nothing special pick. Every team has 3 or 4 or more of the same player. In all likelihood, he'll never play a single game in the NHL. Hence worthless.

Anderson, is a pure cap dump plain and simple. He's being paid top 6 money and produces at a meh bottom sixer rate, about 30 points. Then you factor in that he's getting more ice time, PP time and general offensive opportunities on Montreal that he would on a good team and its easy to see why he has no value. In Winnipeg he's nowhere close to playing in the top 6 and is far too expensive to play wing on the 3rd or 4th line. You can probably pick up a UFA that will produce the same at half or less of the cost. Plus you won't be stuck overpaying that guy by a large amount for another 4 years.

Instead of blaming posters that reply to bad ACGM proposals, maybe you should try and educate the person who made the ACGM. An ACGM that proposes a package of players you want to get rid of or don't think have any upside left as a prospect, obviously won't be valued by opposing fans when you are asking for an extremely valuable piece.

I just don't feel the need to give a long explanation to every Montreal fan offering packages with very little value. I know they are offering junk and they know they are offering junk. There's no reason to turn it into a debate over just how lousy the pieces offered are. I just state it's not enough with a brief explanation and leave it at that.
Feb. 22, 2023 at 3:02 p.m.

for the cost of PLD, go with Kidney, Dach and Florida's 1st. Obviously once we know where the pick lands or may need to be adjusted. But just ballpark.
Billy739 liked this.
Feb. 22, 2023 at 3:11 p.m.
Billy739
for the cost of PLD, go with Kidney, Dach and Florida's 1st. Obviously once we know where the pick lands or may need to be adjusted. But just ballpark.

Ok i can fully get behind that value
But you can see why i gotta try to protect Dach ,right?

What's it take to remove Dach?
Owen Beck's going to take an NHL spot next year
That means either he or Evans will be odd man out during their battle at camp

Would Owen Beck even move the needle before i even begin thinking about what else it would take if i was trying to hypothetically acquire Dach to get a grasp on the value from both sides (or try)
I know MTL's looking to protect him as he takes faceoffs with both left and right dominantly like Yannic Perrault always used to do switching hands to mess with opponents.
But clearly having PLD here is worth more then a potential Sissons type maybe better.
Feb. 22, 2023 at 3:20 p.m.
Ok i can fully get behind that value
But you can see why i gotta try to protect Dach ,right?

What's it take to remove Dach?
Owen Beck's going to take an NHL spot next year
That means either he or Evans will be odd man out during their battle at camp

Would Owen Beck even move the needle before i even begin thinking about what else it would take if i was trying to hypothetically acquire Dach to get a grasp on the value from both sides (or try)
I know MTL's looking to protect him as he takes faceoffs with both left and right dominantly like Yannic Perrault always used to do switching hands to mess with opponents.
But clearly having PLD here is worth more then a potential Sissons type maybe better.

Yes, I can see wanting to keep Dach and Beck may be an acceptable replacement. Although then Kidney may need to be replaced by Roy or something. It's really hard to say who and what the Jets scouts like.

However, the possibility we're discounting is that maybe the Jets will want roster players or at least one roster player back. They wouldn't get as much value as a pure futures deal, but may be something they're looking at. If they want a roster player or two back, I think Montreal is out. Unless Dach is in.
Billy739 liked this.
Feb. 22, 2023 at 3:30 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: arab05
How is Edmundson with this?

Hes worth a lot more. Mtl easily declines and holds til next tdl. Gavrikov, Chiarot, Savard, etc. These dmen get 1sts every year
willinlisbon liked this.
Feb. 22, 2023 at 3:36 p.m.
Quoting: Koskinen_The_Great
Hes worth a lot more. Mtl easily declines and holds til next tdl. Gavrikov, Chiarot, Savard, etc. These dmen get 1sts every year

I think people underestimate the value playoff experience brings.
Especially two cup finals...and one cup ring.
Add salary retention FOR 1 + YEARS! and the price skyrockets
The only thing is injury...and Chiarot had only 54 games last year before being traded. Edm is at 39...
Feb. 22, 2023 at 3:37 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: willinlisbon
I think people underestimate the value playoff experience brings.
Especially two cup finals...and one cup ring.
Add salary retention and the price skyrockets
The only thing is injury...and Chiarot had only 54 games last year before being traded. Edm is at 39...

It happens every year then ppl act surprised. Its the same ppl that cant see the roadrunner beating the Coyote as kids. Unless, you dont know how to do a google search, that is the only explanation.
willinlisbon liked this.
Feb. 22, 2023 at 3:41 p.m.
It happens every year then ppl act surprised. Its the same ppl that cant see the roadrunner beating the Coyote as kids. Unless, you dont know how to do a google search, that is the only explanation.

Bambi in headlights
Andy_Dick liked this.
Feb. 22, 2023 at 4:11 p.m.
ARAB05

Only reason why he wouldn't get traded this deadline is because no team is dumb enough to pay that. Way to injury prone and frankly a bad Dman.
Feb. 22, 2023 at 6:03 p.m.
Billy739
Yes, I can see wanting to keep Dach and Beck may be an acceptable replacement. Although then Kidney may need to be replaced by Roy or something. It's really hard to say who and what the Jets scouts like.

However, the possibility we're discounting is that maybe the Jets will want roster players or at least one roster player back. They wouldn't get as much value as a pure futures deal, but may be something they're looking at. If they want a roster player or two back, I think Montreal is out. Unless Dach is in.

I think it depend on the time of the deal.
I like a draft day deal myself for the RFA rights
Mostly because we'll know by WPG's attempts how much PLD is after.
If it 8.5m or less i'd say lets deal

From WPG's POV is PLD didnt lead the team in faceoffs and rethink his idea's about testing free agency .
Then at the draft once i know how things ended and where everyone picks , then i'd consider trading PLD.

Beck , Roy , 1st in 2023 FLA (17th as is) and to give a roster player lets say Dvorak who isnt a replacement just someone to heavy lift on faceoffs while others step up offensively .
I figure between Schiefele , Lowry and Dvorak you're looking at pretty higher Faceoff win rate and no loss in possession time
Whenever anyone is ready to push him out he'll be easy to move with only 2 years left after this season at 4.5m each and WPG has 3.5m for depth after the shift with current cap included.

If Dvorak plays well great , if not at the TDL with only 1 years left you'll be able to move him

Outside that i dont see a Roster member we got they'd want that we'd give up.
Dvorak only makes sense as a plug playing in that role until PLD replacement is read.
That and the ability to Flip a Center who can win Faceoffs with his consistency is easy once the term boils do to 1 year remaining or a little over

But if you got another piece outside Beck , Roy and a 1st in 2023 let me know
As long as its not a Suzuk, Dach, Caufield , Slafkovsy or RHP , you know important people on the roster for the rebuild.
Then im probably open to a deal as is MTL in all likihood
Feb. 22, 2023 at 6:14 p.m.
I think it depend on the time of the deal.
I like a draft day deal myself for the RFA rights
Mostly because we'll know by WPG's attempts how much PLD is after.
If it 8.5m or less i'd say lets deal

From WPG's POV is PLD didnt lead the team in faceoffs and rethink his idea's about testing free agency .
Then at the draft once i know how things ended and where everyone picks , then i'd consider trading PLD.

Beck , Roy , 1st in 2023 FLA (17th as is) and to give a roster player lets say Dvorak who isnt a replacement just someone to heavy lift on faceoffs while others step up offensively .
I figure between Schiefele , Lowry and Dvorak you're looking at pretty higher Faceoff win rate and no loss in possession time
Whenever anyone is ready to push him out he'll be easy to move with only 2 years left after this season at 4.5m each and WPG has 3.5m for depth after the shift with current cap included.

If Dvorak plays well great , if not at the TDL with only 1 years left you'll be able to move him

Outside that i dont see a Roster member we got they'd want that we'd give up.
Dvorak only makes sense as a plug playing in that role until PLD replacement is read.
That and the ability to Flip a Center who can win Faceoffs with his consistency is easy once the term boils do to 1 year remaining or a little over

Yeah, I agree with everything about the draft. Nothing will happen until we know where the picks land.

But, if the Jets want roster players, I just can't see anything interesting that Montreal has and would be willing to trade.

Dvorak, imo, wouldn't be an option. In think the Jets would be looking for a young top 6 player if they go the roster player route. Dvorak is not good offensively, he's not good defensively and he's expensive for a 3rd line winger or 4th line center. He's not better than Lowry, so can't play 3C. I think the Jets could find equal or better for less than Dvorak. So, if the Jets want a good roster player, pick and prospect, I think PLD won't be going to Montreal.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll