SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

49Toronto Maple Leafs 2022 2023 Season Discussion (Part 4)

Mar. 16, 2023 at 10:35 p.m.
Quoting: MatthewsFan

😆

Great job on the forecheck, forces the turnover, goal

you can't have everything, we grabbed a vet in lafferty at cost control for 2 years and a physical shutdown D at 2M for 3 years. Good for him, we didn't have that opportunity for him here.
Mar. 16, 2023 at 10:37 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Quoting: leafs101
you can't have everything, we grabbed a vet in lafferty at cost control for 2 years and a physical shutdown D at 2M for 3 years. Good for him, we didn't have that opportunity for him here.

Sam Lafferty with TOR
CF 43 CA 81
SCF 19 SCA 41
HDCF 11 HDCA 18
Mar. 16, 2023 at 11:14 p.m.
Amirov Forever

Mar. 16, 2023 at 11:16 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137

Mar. 16, 2023 at 11:31 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Now that we are decently far removed from the trade deadline and everyone has settled in with their new teams, I want to put out my thoughts regarding the Leafs trades, primarily the ones that resulted in Roster players being moved because those ones seem to be stirring up the division in Leafs nation.

The first trade we made in the form of ROR and Acciarci was an absolute master class. I was stoked when it happened, then got a little envious when NJD got Meier (as one does), but that trade was incredible. One flaw that plagues Leafs nation is, as i just mentioned, invalidating trades the Leafs make by pointing to other trades. I get wanting Meier or Vrana, but that ROR trade was pretty damn good. You have to give to get, and if you don't give and still get, there are some deeper issues. This trade didn't see any Roster players depart either so that's a plus.

The McCabe deal is in my opinion the best trade Dubas has made during his tenure as Leafs GM. McCabe and Lafferty have been really great adds AND they have term. Obvious Joey Anderson has found some success in Chicago, but be honest, we have up JOEY ANDERSON FOR JAKE MCCABE. Anderson couldn't even crack our lineup. This was a fantastic deal and also didn't move any Roster players (because no, Anderson was not a Roster regular)

Now we get to one of the most divisive (and maybe worst?) trade Dubas has and likely will make as Leafs GM. The Sandin deal. Rasmus has been off to a great start in Washington, and I'm glad. I love the guy as a player and am glad he's found the role he deserved. As much as that trade hurt, it was for the best. Getting some assets back for a guy that likely wouldn't play come playoff time and whose value was only diminishing was not half bad. Sandin could be a Morgan Rielly, but we already HAVE a Morgan Rielly. Dubas did right by Sandin and it was for the best. Did we lose the trade? Absolutely, but it had to be done. Plus, the trade isn't even finished yet. There is still the question mark surrounding the 23 first. Do we trade down and get Mukhanov / Brindley? Do we draft Perron? Who knows, maybe we draft a franchise player there. Obviously the flip side is true and we could wind up picking a nobody, but the gamble is still there.

The other trade surrounding a roster player was Engvall, which was a deal that I dont necessarily love but it really isn't as bad as people think. In a vacuum, losing Engvall stinks, but the reality is that we got Lafferty and Acciarci who are both 100x better playoff performers and play a much more desired playstyle. We got nothing of great use back, but oh well.

The Schenn trade was fine. I love Schenn and I love the story, but he's just a meh add. His physicality is very desirable though.

This TDL wasn't as big of a flop as people think. Dubas should listen to some Kendrick Lamar. You can't please everybody
Mar. 17, 2023 at 12:27 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Mar. 17, 2023 at 12:34 a.m.
Quoting: Nathaniel
Now that we are decently far removed from the trade deadline and everyone has settled in with their new teams, I want to put out my thoughts regarding the Leafs trades, primarily the ones that resulted in Roster players being moved because those ones seem to be stirring up the division in Leafs nation.

The first trade we made in the form of ROR and Acciarci was an absolute master class. I was stoked when it happened, then got a little envious when NJD got Meier (as one does), but that trade was incredible. One flaw that plagues Leafs nation is, as i just mentioned, invalidating trades the Leafs make by pointing to other trades. I get wanting Meier or Vrana, but that ROR trade was pretty damn good. You have to give to get, and if you don't give and still get, there are some deeper issues. This trade didn't see any Roster players depart either so that's a plus.

The McCabe deal is in my opinion the best trade Dubas has made during his tenure as Leafs GM. McCabe and Lafferty have been really great adds AND they have term. Obvious Joey Anderson has found some success in Chicago, but be honest, we have up JOEY ANDERSON FOR JAKE MCCABE. Anderson couldn't even crack our lineup. This was a fantastic deal and also didn't move any Roster players (because no, Anderson was not a Roster regular)

Now we get to one of the most divisive (and maybe worst?) trade Dubas has and likely will make as Leafs GM. The Sandin deal. Rasmus has been off to a great start in Washington, and I'm glad. I love the guy as a player and am glad he's found the role he deserved. As much as that trade hurt, it was for the best. Getting some assets back for a guy that likely wouldn't play come playoff time and whose value was only diminishing was not half bad. Sandin could be a Morgan Rielly, but we already HAVE a Morgan Rielly. Dubas did right by Sandin and it was for the best. Did we lose the trade? Absolutely, but it had to be done. Plus, the trade isn't even finished yet. There is still the question mark surrounding the 23 first. Do we trade down and get Mukhanov / Brindley? Do we draft Perron? Who knows, maybe we draft a franchise player there. Obviously the flip side is true and we could wind up picking a nobody, but the gamble is still there.

The other trade surrounding a roster player was Engvall, which was a deal that I dont necessarily love but it really isn't as bad as people think. In a vacuum, losing Engvall stinks, but the reality is that we got Lafferty and Acciarci who are both 100x better playoff performers and play a much more desired playstyle. We got nothing of great use back, but oh well.

The Schenn trade was fine. I love Schenn and I love the story, but he's just a meh add. His physicality is very desirable though.

This TDL wasn't as big of a flop as people think. Dubas should listen to some Kendrick Lamar. You can't please everybody

In general the expression of u cant look a gift horse in the mouth comes into focus. Leafs are built rn to fight tougher teams like Boston and Tampa. Engvall was here last playoffs and didnt do much which sucked as when I saw him scoring goals with Mikheyev left and right was like this guy gonna do it (Engvall-Kampf-Mikheyev gonna lead us to r2) ...3 assists 2 on ENG from Mikheyev, and then he got bullied by Hagel and Paul. Acciari though been a nice replacement just waiting on Lafferty a bit but hes had his moments to.

Sandin is a headscratcher but when u look at the circumstances it fits the profile of new team higher performance as thats the NHL most times and after the MTL series idk if he would have handled Tampa and then (if we go to the 2nd round) Boston well. Sucks to see him go but we got a 1st to go draft another guy and there are some good Dman this draft. But Gustafsson has been growing on me. Would like to see a Gus-Schenn thirdpairing at some point as old man Gio needs rest. Dont care if he wants to play rest

Schenn's gonna be fun and hes a net front guy which I said we needed. As in that Buffalo game really could have used him. Also will keep Perry in line.

McCabe reminds me of Muzzin but in stead of being a hard hitting grit man he brings some toughness. Like standing up to Kane nice.

As for the need for LW. Nothing great out there. I know people gonna say Vrana but the fact Yzerman wanted this guy gone and we heard work ethics issue screams 2016-2018 Nylander. Good some games floating others. Sure he might have been good or we would have saw more instances of Nylander in that one clip of the Tampa series.

In the end u can score 60 in the regular season or 10 but what matters is playoff results. When ROR gets back its gonna be fun. And Sammy in home game 1 gonna hopefully break his curse
Mar. 17, 2023 at 12:37 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: leafs101

It will take time but I feel Lafferty will be great. Like he and Nylander had something going and when Jarnkrok and Acciari were with him that looked like a fun third line.

Plus this man aint afraid to defend teammates.

Nice bit of everything and tied for lead in SHG
Mar. 17, 2023 at 12:38 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: MatthewsFan

His Gus take a bit off I get a feeling we might see him game 1

As Keefe be giving him more ice than Gio and Liligren
Mar. 17, 2023 at 12:48 a.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Since the McCabe, Lafferty, Schenn, and Gustafsson additions the Leafs at 5v5 are:
CF 279 CA 313
SCF 153 SCA 170
HDCF 43 HDCA 79

If fans of the Leafs are not seeing big red flags in the group that’s been assembled after the TDL, then ignorance is bliss. They are playing really poorly and struggling to generate offense at 5v5 and are getting caved in defensively.

They are building no continuity or chemistry with the lines, especially with running 11/7. When you have six additions to an NHL roster and at least three forward lines and all three defense pairs are potentially impacted, you have to wonder a little bit about the team morale/chemistry side of things with just 20 games to gel. And it’s showing.

I hate the idea of Engvall and Sandin going out (combined $3.65 million) and Kerfoot ($3.5 million) staying in, especially since we did not move the BOS 1st for help today. The Leafs have eight defensemen with a legit case to play every night, that’s one too many especially with a need for more offence in the bottom six.

I really love the O’Reilly addition (terrible Leaf luck he got hurt) but the Leafs still are a forward short among their group if the plan was to build three lines centered by Matthews, Tavares, and O’Reilly. Using O’Reilly with Kerfoot and Lafferty is such a waste of his talent and banking on the idea of some rookie college kid (who I absolutely love) to be his running mate is wishful dreaming that hopefully pans out. Not adding another forward (taking the pick instead of Gus and flipping that or better yet flip Gus and the 1st for an upgrade was a massive missed opportunity).

Regular season hockey is completely different than playoff hockey and if this collective group is harder to play against, then maybe they can pull it out.

But Lafferty looks lost out there most nights, Kerfoot couldn’t score with the net empty, Kampf is lost without Engvall, and running 7 defenseman is over working our core guys.

I feel like I’m pretty level headed Leaf fan, so I’m cool to be on this island by myself.

FL-desert-island-tile-216x150.gif
Mar. 17, 2023 at 1:33 a.m.
Hakuna Matata

100% agree with Ray the only ? is goaltending but if Sammy can play well like he does at home or if Murray can find his game and we get playoff Murray then that concerns gone

As Vasi can steal a series but as we have seen this month Tampa looks off and while they might be baiting the games might also be catching up
Mar. 17, 2023 at 12:39 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/ice-chips-toronto-maple-leafs-defenceman-justin-holl-scratched-vs-carolina-hurricanes-1.1932904

Small steps
Mar. 17, 2023 at 7:14 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Starting to like Gustafsson

Has his limits but that was a nice setup for a ZAR tip
NorthernLeafsFan05 liked this.
Mar. 17, 2023 at 7:33 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Sammy's been so good but sometimes he allows that one goal u go really man should have had that

Not taking anything away from him as 17-2-2 at home is special but man my one fear is its like a 2-1 in the third of a game 6 for us and he does that.
NorthernLeafsFan05 liked this.
Mar. 17, 2023 at 7:41 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
The irish luck bounces be on our side
Saskleaf liked this.
Mar. 17, 2023 at 7:43 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Thats a penalty on JP

Man Acciari has had 3 missed calls on him these past 3 games

High Sticked
Tripped
Interference
Mar. 17, 2023 at 7:44 p.m.
Amirov Forever
HOW IS THAT NOT A PENALTY?!?!?!?!?

thE lEaGUe fAvOURs tHe lEAfs
Saskleaf liked this.
Mar. 17, 2023 at 7:45 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
SKEJI PUSHED JARNKROK IN HIS GOALIE AND WERE GETTING A GOALIE INTERFERENCE PENALTY

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Mar. 17, 2023 at 7:46 p.m.
Amirov Forever
HOW IS THAT A PENALTY?!?!?!?!?

tHe LeAGuE fAVoURS tHE LEafS
Mar. 17, 2023 at 7:47 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Keefe should take another fine and let the refs have it
Mar. 17, 2023 at 7:55 p.m.
Amirov Forever

Keefe: Gets mad that the fukcing idiot officials miss a blantant call

Keefe: Gets mad that the fukcing idiot officials call a completely braindead play

Refs: Refuse to give their rationale for these calls

Why the fukc do we even have referees? We are 1 month away from the playoffs and the Leaf STILL haven't had a SINGLE 5v3 POWERPLAY. The rhetoric that the Leafs are favored by officiating it based on nothing. That claim could not be further from the truth. Absolutely infuriating that the league enables evidently poor officiating. More needs to be done to enforce the rules.
Mar. 17, 2023 at 8:02 p.m.
Amirov Forever

Saskleaf liked this.
Mar. 17, 2023 at 8:14 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Great now Acciari is out for the game

I get it was an accident but still should have been a penalty. **** these refs
Mar. 17, 2023 at 8:22 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Not good Dzone coverage of that goal.

To much puck watching
Mar. 17, 2023 at 8:22 p.m.
Leafs Sufferer
Okay, I love the hype around Schenn and he is throwing the body around.

But has he actually connected a pass coming out of his own zone?
Saskleaf liked this.
Mar. 17, 2023 at 8:28 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
ZAR hat trick watch

Lafferty and ZAR developing good chemistry

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll