SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Detroit Red Wings

Could Wallinder or Johansson play as a left shot RD Discuss

Apr. 23, 2023 at 10:33 p.m.
Ignore the lines/roster. Just wondering thoughts on the idea of Wallinder or Johansson playing as a lefty shot RD. Thoughts?
aedoran liked this.
Apr. 23, 2023 at 10:36 p.m.
Pop Pop
They've both played on the right but doing it in the NHL who knows.
aedoran and Steven_Stamkos liked this.
May 15, 2023 at 9:40 p.m.
I'm not a big a fan of Chiarot but Detroit is better off with him on the right side. He's been in the league for 10 seasons he knows what to expect and when to cheat. We want Wallinder and Johansson to succeed so you let them get used to the NHL's speed before playing them on their offside. There are some LHDs that prefer to play on the right but not all coaches and GMs want a lefty on the right side and will do just about everything possible to avoid it.
Steven_Stamkos liked this.
May 15, 2023 at 10:28 p.m.
Quoting: aedoran
I'm not a big a fan of Chiarot but Detroit is better off with him on the right side. He's been in the league for 10 seasons he knows what to expect and when to cheat. We want Wallinder and Johansson to succeed so you let them get used to the NHL's speed before playing them on their offside. There are some LHDs that prefer to play on the right but not all coaches and GMs want a lefty on the right side and will do just about everything possible to avoid it.

I’m not suggesting starting out. But with the depth at LD, could one of them play RD starting in year 2 or 3?
aedoran liked this.
May 15, 2023 at 10:52 p.m.
Quoting: JhonnyCanuck5
I’m not suggesting starting out. But with the depth at LD, could one of them play RD starting in year 2 or 3?

I sure hope this isn't a problem in 2 or 3 years. I theory the better dman will be better on his offside than average dman. We have Tuomisto who could be a very solid 2nd pair dman and Yzerman will probably draft one in the first 2 rounds.
May 16, 2023 at 1:27 p.m.
Quoting: aedoran
I sure hope this isn't a problem in 2 or 3 years. I theory the better dman will be better on his offside than average dman. We have Tuomisto who could be a very solid 2nd pair dman and Yzerman will probably draft one in the first 2 rounds.

Agreed. I'm just looking at Walman, Edvinsson, Wallinder, Johansson as all NHL D-men by 2024 so someone either moves to RD or gets traded(which I don't really want because they all seem to have bright futures).
Jun. 14, 2023 at 11:40 p.m.
Wallinder is more competent on the right side, but I think that is because he is the better player. Johansson would be better suited to try RD due to his play style.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll