Forums/Armchair-GM

Stop Trading the Core

Created by: GladeBang12
Team: 2023-24 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: May 9, 2023
Published: May 9, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
As frustrating as it's been to watch this team play, it would be a terrible mistake to move on from any one of Marner, Nylander, or Matthews. Stanley Cup winning teams require star players and it's incredibly difficult to acquire them. Many teams have gone through years of failure to ultimately succeed. Look at the Caps. They made changes, but never changed the leadership/core of their group and were eventually rewarded for remaining loyal. Maybe the first round narrative makes the situation a bit different, but the outcome of those series really could've gone either way, and the teams that we lost to were teams that would go on to play in the finals. Bottom line is those series losses don't really matter. The only thing that matters is winning the Cup. If we lost in the 3rd round for 7 straight years, fans would still be calling to blow up the team. We need to commit to our core long-term and focus on bringing in youth to support them as they get older. The best chance you can give your team to win a cup is making the playoffs. If you make the playoffs 15 straight years, eventually you'll win, right?
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
15$83,500,000$67,934,783$0$0$15,565,217
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$11,640,250$11,640,250
C
NMC
UFA - 1
$10,903,000$10,903,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 2
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
NMC
UFA - 1
$1,150,000$1,150,000
RW, C, LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,500,000$7,500,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 7
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$4,687,500$4,687,500
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$1,400,000$1,400,000
RD
RFA - 1
$766,667$766,667
G
RFA - 2
$800,000$800,000
LD
UFA - 1
$1,100,000$1,100,000
RD
RFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$5,625,000$5,625,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$796,667$796,667
LW, RW
RFA - 1
$762,500$762,500
RW, LW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 9, 2023 at 2:09 p.m.
spoiled penguins fan
Say it louder for the Leafs fans in the back
May 9, 2023 at 2:10 p.m.
The definition of insanity it doing the same thing and expecting different results if they come back and win it makes things very different but if they do heaven forbid lose they have to do something to shake it up
May 9, 2023 at 2:14 p.m.
We have the passion
We are about to choke, AGAIN. This team, this management, will not win. Plus, if we can get ahaul for one of the core 4, it will help our future even more than keeping the core 4
LAKANDTOR348 liked this.
May 9, 2023 at 2:17 p.m.
Quoting: Jdubs44
The definition of insanity it doing the same thing and expecting different results if they come back and win it makes things very different but if they do heaven forbid lose they have to do something to shake it up

Says who? What part of hockey is sane? The Florida Panthers, the worst team in the playoffs, came back and beat the GREATEST regular season team of all time and are on their way to making it to the conference finals. This all happens a year after posting its best regular season record ever and ultimately getting swept in the second round. They even lost a good amount of key players.
May 9, 2023 at 2:18 p.m.
themostleaf33
Respectfully disagree. Florida made a blockbuster move in the summer after getting swept in the 2nd round after ending their 1st round drought. Now they are almost guaranteed a spot in the conference finals, and its not like it was an easy road to get there. They had to go through the best regular season team in NHL history and a Toronto team that beat the team who went to 3 straight Stanley cup finals.

You cannot expect different results from a team that has failed time and time again. There needs to be a big move this offseason. Its about time.
May 9, 2023 at 2:22 p.m.
Quoting: themostleaf33
Respectfully disagree. Florida made a blockbuster move in the summer after getting swept in the 2nd round after ending their 1st round drought. Now they are almost guaranteed a spot in the conference finals, and its not like it was an easy road to get there. They had to go through the best regular season team in NHL history and a Toronto team that beat the team who went to 3 straight Stanley cup finals.

You cannot expect different results from a team that has failed time and time again. There needs to be a big move this offseason. Its about time.

I won't deny that. If a star player that's significantly better than William Nylander becomes available and is willing to extend to an 8 year contract, then you make that trade every time. Just not sure that trade exists for moving any of the core players.
May 9, 2023 at 2:23 p.m.
No dude. We've seen this team fail miserably and show no fight, energy, angriness NOTHING! Like none of show any pissed off mood postgame like what leon said after scoring 4 goals.
May 9, 2023 at 2:24 p.m.
The worst part is that all of these guys got contracts based on the cap increasing, and from 2018-2019 to 2022-2023 it has only gone up 3 million. I think Dubas has done a lot of good work with the situation he was in.
GladeBang12 liked this.
May 9, 2023 at 2:26 p.m.
themostleaf33
Quoting: GladeBang12
I won't deny that. If a star player that's significantly better than William Nylander becomes available and is willing to extend to an 8 year contract, then you make that trade every time. Just not sure that trade exists for moving any of the core players.

Imo, they need two things. They need a top 6 LW to replace Bunting, and they need a top pairing right shot defenceman, as Brodie is simply not that guy anymore.

They could even move Tavares to the wing, as Tampa has done with Stamkos, where he may be more effective, and target a top 6 C.

In any case, someone (probably Nylander), is going to be moved to fill at least one of those needs.
May 9, 2023 at 2:31 p.m.
Quoting: LAKANDTOR348
No dude. We've seen this team fail miserably and show no fight, energy, angriness NOTHING! Like none of show any pissed off mood postgame like what leon said after scoring 4 goals.

Idk. It's so hard to evaluate these games and why we lost. It's too easy to divert to the "effort" argument every time without actually trying to evaluate what happened tactically on the ice. Like it or not, the truth is we could have easily been up 2-1 in this series based on inches. If Sammy makes an extra save or Marner makes one less turnover, would you be talking about "effort" right now?
May 9, 2023 at 2:33 p.m.
Bennecon
The leafs need to change something. All the stars have the same attitude, they don’t seem to really have a different game when it get tough, none of them get angry when they lose. They say it didn’t go our way, sometimes it just doesn’t go in. I don’t think the team need to blow up but it needs a shock. Get a different type of player, maybe a hockey type trade for a defenceman. It’s time to change. New coach new looking team. Depth wins cups and spending 40mil on 4 players doesn’t work, and soon it’ll be more then 40mil cause the contracts are only goin up in the next 2 years.
May 9, 2023 at 2:35 p.m.
Quoting: themostleaf33
Imo, they need two things. They need a top 6 LW to replace Bunting, and they need a top pairing right shot defenceman, as Brodie is simply not that guy anymore.

They could even move Tavares to the wing, as Tampa has done with Stamkos, where he may be more effective, and target a top 6 C.

In any case, someone (probably Nylander), is going to be moved to fill at least one of those needs.

True. But then, knowing this fan base, there will probably be a hole to fill on the wing in the top six. I just don't think its possible to fill every hole with this specific team given the situation of the flat cap. Our best chances is waiting out the Tavares contract and distributing that money throughout the lineup (hoping it doesn't go into Willy/Mitch/Matthews pockets).
May 9, 2023 at 2:38 p.m.
Quoting: Bennecon
The leafs need to change something. All the stars have the same attitude, they don’t seem to really have a different game when it get tough, none of them get angry when they lose. They say it didn’t go our way, sometimes it just doesn’t go in. I don’t think the team need to blow up but it needs a shock. Get a different type of player, maybe a hockey type trade for a defenceman. It’s time to change. New coach new looking team. Depth wins cups and spending 40mil on 4 players doesn’t work, and soon it’ll be more then 40mil cause the contracts are only goin up in the next 2 years.

I don't get why everyone just diverts to generalities like "anger". What does that even mean and how would that help the Leafs win? Sometimes those pucks just don't go in. We played arguably our worst playoff hockey we've seen since the series against the Caps, but ironically we ended up winning. Was it because we were "angrier"?
May 9, 2023 at 2:55 p.m.
I don't get why everyone just diverts to generalities like "anger". What does that even mean and how would that help the Leafs win? Sometimes those pucks just don't go in. We played arguably our worst playoff hockey we've seen since the series against the Caps, but ironically we ended up winning. Was it because we were "angrier"?

I think it is people mistaking anger for caring. They just want a reaction other than oh well better next time.
May 9, 2023 at 2:58 p.m.
Bennecon

It’s no about slashing someone or fighting but to win you need to hate losing and be mad at bad performances. Leon scored 4 goals and came out after the game and said I don’t care it’s about winning, we didn’t play good enough. Matthews came out after getting completely shut down and said sometimes it just doesn’t go in. Like what he had 2 shots. They don’t show up when they need to they get complacent when they win and then play sloppy the next game or next period. I love Matthews he’s my favourite player and I love the leafs but I don’t think this team has what it takes to win.
May 9, 2023 at 3:11 p.m.
Quoting: Bennecon
It’s no about slashing someone or fighting but to win you need to hate losing and be mad at bad performances. Leon scored 4 goals and came out after the game and said I don’t care it’s about winning, we didn’t play good enough. Matthews came out after getting completely shut down and said sometimes it just doesn’t go in. Like what he had 2 shots. They don’t show up when they need to they get complacent when they win and then play sloppy the next game or next period. I love Matthews he’s my favourite player and I love the leafs but I don’t think this team has what it takes to win.

You're probably right. I just can't live with that being the only reason why this team can't succeed. Like, there has to be a more clear strategical reason why they haven't won, right? I just feel like the narrative towards their attitude is based on the fact that no one really knows why they are losing, so they divert to talking about all the cliches over and over again.
May 10, 2023 at 6:31 a.m.
You're probably right. I just can't live with that being the only reason why this team can't succeed. Like, there has to be a more clear strategical reason why they haven't won, right? I just feel like the narrative towards their attitude is based on the fact that no one really knows why they are losing, so they divert to talking about all the cliches over and over again.

Every time they lose big playoff games they are saying the same things about how it just didn’t go in.
It’s a trend with this group they can’t score in elimination games/big playoff games. That’s why they can’t win.
Yes they beat Tampa but the difference than in previous years was samsonov made big saves when it mattered and they got the bounces in overtime. You play enough first round series eventually the luck will go your way. But now the same problems are still showing up in this series as past years.
I got no problem spending 40 million on 4 forwards if they do what they are suppose to, be game breakers, find a way to make the difference. This core does not seem to have that in them no matter how many times they make the playoffs.
A lot has changed over the years, all the depth players, the teams structure, the goalies but the core 4 remain and when the series gets tight the same problems are there.
Don’t blow the team completely up but a different mix seems needed. Marner hasn’t put up points late in playoff series for years now, this series he’s not even putting up points early. He’s the one that has to go. No matter how good he is, he doesn’t score or make a big difference when it really matters.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll