SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Toronto Maple Leafs 2023 2024 Offseason Discussion - Now What?

May 25, 2023 at 1:11 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Adding Jesper Fast to my wants list along with Bertuzzi and Barbashev
May 25, 2023 at 1:31 a.m.
Quoting: aadoyle
Toronto really has no need for another Dman especially if Schenn comes back

Rielly-Schenn
McCabe-Brodie
Raifai or Gio-Liligren
Timmins

Unless u trade or sign someone really good who can play top 4 and thrive (Toews) no point

I disagree with you on Leafs not needing another D. What did I say about Gio throughout the season? He should have been limited to about 50 games during the regular season but of course that didn't happen. How did Gio look in the playoffs? Yeah not good...

I'm telling you, limiting how much Schenn plays in the regular season is going to be very important so he actually has something to give in next season's playoffs, otherwise we are looking at a Gio type situation all over again. Only bad teams keep repeating the same mistakes over and over again.

Time to learn from some of these mistakes. Got to sign a D who will be reliable. That doesn't mean Schenn shouldn't be back because I feel he definitely should be back.
Trickster liked this.
May 25, 2023 at 1:41 a.m.
Amirov Forever
Adding Jesper Fast to my wants list along with Bertuzzi and Barbashev

I'm on the Zucker train
May 25, 2023 at 2:01 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited May 25, 2023 at 2:09 a.m.
Quoting: Nathaniel
I'm on the Zucker train

Zucker doesn't want to come to Canada there is an old report talking about it unfortunately asi believe he had all Canadian teams on his ntc. Maybe he has had a change of heart but I got a feeling he's a cane this summer
May 25, 2023 at 2:09 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited May 25, 2023 at 2:29 a.m.
Quoting: oneX
I disagree with you on Leafs not needing another D. What did I say about Gio throughout the season? He should have been limited to about 50 games during the regular season but of course that didn't happen. How did Gio look in the playoffs? Yeah not good...

I'm telling you, limiting how much Schenn plays in the regular season is going to be very important so he actually has something to give in next season's playoffs, otherwise we are looking at a Gio type situation all over again. Only bad teams keep repeating the same mistakes over and over again.

Time to learn from some of these mistakes. Got to sign a D who will be reliable. That doesn't mean Schenn shouldn't be back because I feel he definitely should be back.

Not really gio situation was he aged 10years in playoffs after leafs rested him it was like reverse psychology. Guy went from great third pair to unusable after getting rested Meanwhile schenn and rielly were insane together with rielly making all the haters run for the hills

So in the end if Rielly schen does what they did in the playoffs, Liligren goes back to playing like he did before TDL, McCabe settles in and Brodie-Timmins stabilizes things on the third pair Dcores fine with gio rotating in when need be and at TDL if necessary u can add

As in the Fla series defense wasn't the whole issue scoring was
oneX liked this.
May 25, 2023 at 6:06 a.m.
Just Keep Swimming
So guys. I have been thinking about what we can do to extract extra value from this year.

We have a TON of cap space - but for one year only - so what if we took advantage of Vancouver's cap issue and took on Garland (who apparently needs a high pick from VAN to be dealt) AND Myers (who I'd send to the minors).

In exchange we trade up from 28 to 11th overall, before doing a double trade down.
It would look like this:
Fw90C-mXgAEjXLh?format=jpg&name=medium

Yes I am suggesting we draft 3 Knights. Bite me
May 25, 2023 at 8:12 a.m.
hey look a squirrel
Quoting: Random2152
So guys. I have been thinking about what we can do to extract extra value from this year.

We have a TON of cap space - but for one year only - so what if we took advantage of Vancouver's cap issue and took on Garland (who apparently needs a high pick from VAN to be dealt) AND Myers (who I'd send to the minors).

In exchange we trade up from 28 to 11th overall, before doing a double trade down.
It would look like this:

I don't know how we could absorb that much cap without it hurting us, unless your rebuilding??? Even buried Myers would have almost 5 million cap hit right???
Saskleaf liked this.
May 25, 2023 at 8:27 a.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: Trickster
I don't know how we could absorb that much cap without it hurting us, unless your rebuilding??? Even buried Myers would have almost 5 million cap hit right???

We have up to 18 Mil in space this year. We can pretty easily absorb it
May 25, 2023 at 9:39 a.m.
Go leafs go
We have up to 18 Mil in space this year. We can pretty easily absorb it

Am I missing something? Normally you’d be the type of guy to tell people they’re on crack if they trade for someone like Myers but now you’re suggesting it?
May 25, 2023 at 9:41 a.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: Saskleaf
Am I missing something? Normally you’d be the type of guy to tell people they’re on crack if they trade for someone like Myers but now you’re suggesting it?

I never said I'd want to play him.
His contract is up in 1 year. We have plenty of cap space for this 1 year. Take advantage.

We are adding a player I like, early-mid draft picks and moving up 2 slots, and all its costing is 5 Mil of cap space for 1 single year in a year we don't much need it

Yes sir I want to do that
May 25, 2023 at 9:54 a.m.
Go leafs go
I never said I'd want to play him.
His contract is up in 1 year. We have plenty of cap space for this 1 year. Take advantage.

We are adding a player I like, early-mid draft picks and moving up 2 slots, and all its costing is 5 Mil of cap space for 1 single year in a year we don't much need it

Yes sir I want to do that

We don’t have near as much as you think. The 18 mil you suggested is with Murray bought out and 14 man roster. You still need to add 8 players. Spending 11 of that mil on Garland and Myers and leaving 7 mil for 6 spots is a terrible idea. We’re a contending team. Unless in this scenario you want to rebuild.
May 25, 2023 at 10:10 a.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Edited May 25, 2023 at 10:17 a.m.
We don’t have near as much as you think. The 18 mil you suggested is with Murray bought out and 14 man roster. You still need to add 8 players. Spending 11 of that mil on Garland and Myers and leaving 7 mil for 6 spots is a terrible idea. We’re a contending team. Unless in this scenario you want to rebuild.

We have basically no one important to sign. Spending 10 of our 14-18 Mil here doesn't hurt us. We were just going to call up the marlies anyway - and I will remind you that we are adding Garland to the roster. Unspent cap space is a wasted asset remember

I've also heard we might see Murray on LTIR, but that is unsubstantiated right now.

Regardless, in no way does this require a rebuild lmao.

I'm seeing a 22 man roster with $809 000 of space.

We also will have a rookie GM. Not making major changes in the offseason is likely. After puck drop... all bets are off
May 25, 2023 at 10:35 a.m.
Amirov Forever
We have basically no one important to sign. Spending 10 of our 14-18 Mil here doesn't hurt us. We were just going to call up the marlies anyway - and I will remind you that we are adding Garland to the roster. Unspent cap space is a wasted asset remember

I've also heard we might see Murray on LTIR, but that is unsubstantiated right now.

We also will have a rookie GM. Not making major changes in the offseason is likely. After puck drop... all bets are off

I like the idea of just trading for Garland. We could likely get back into the second round of the draft by exploiting Vancouvers want to dump him while getting a player that helps us

Knies - Matthews - Garland
Nylander - Tavares - Marner
Jarnkrok - Holmberg - Heinen
McMann - Acciari - Lafferty

Rielly - Clifton
McCabe - Liljegren
Brodie - Timmins

Samsonov
Woll
May 25, 2023 at 10:38 a.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: Nathaniel
I like the idea of just trading for Garland. We could likely get back into the second round of the draft by exploiting Vancouvers want to dump him while getting a player that helps us

Knies - Matthews - Garland
Nylander - Tavares - Marner
Jarnkrok - Holmberg - Heinen
McMann - Acciari - Lafferty

Rielly - Clifton
McCabe - Liljegren
Brodie - Timmins

Samsonov
Woll

Not the biggest fan of your depth here.
And I'd wager Schenn is coming back over a guy like Clifton. Bias towards inaction
May 25, 2023 at 11:48 a.m.
Go leafs go

Sammy lol? He’s gonna cost at least 3 mil. Also we’re going to be losing OReilly, Bunting, Accari, Kerfoot, ZAR, Gus, Holl and Schenn. You gonna let me you don’t want to resign really any of them? Not many of them are going to be sub 1 mil I don’t think (except ZAR and maybe a few others if they take discounts).
May 25, 2023 at 12:04 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Sammy lol? He’s gonna cost at least 3 mil. Also we’re going to be losing OReilly, Bunting, Accari, Kerfoot, ZAR, Gus, Holl and Schenn. You gonna let me you don’t want to resign really any of them? Not many of them are going to be sub 1 mil I don’t think (except ZAR and maybe a few others if they take discounts).

This has Sammy, Acciari, and Schenn signed.

You seem to think we have WAY less space then we actually do
May 25, 2023 at 12:10 p.m.
Go leafs go
This has Sammy, Acciari, and Schenn signed.

You seem to think we have WAY less space then we actually do

I think you seem to think we have way more than we actually do. 14 mil gets used up very fast.
May 25, 2023 at 12:28 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
I think you seem to think we have way more than we actually do. 14 mil gets used up very fast.

And we can make it work.
Anyway its just an idea to extract as much value as possible. Every asset we have must be maximised.
Saskleaf and MatthewsFan liked this.
May 25, 2023 at 12:49 p.m.
hey look a squirrel

It would look like this:

And we can make it work.
Anyway its just an idea to extract as much value as possible. Every asset we have must be maximised.

I have been thinking of this, if PLD would sign here and I'd do Marner for him.

I wonder if his preference is this less Montreal and more the big city lights.

I think the move could make sense for Jets if they retooling.
oneX liked this.
May 25, 2023 at 2:27 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited May 25, 2023 at 2:34 p.m.

I have seen so many acgm underpayment that poor goalie lul

3.8-5mills what he's gonna get unless he signs a 1 year than sure 3mill

4.5mill x 3 years is the best

As for all other ufa keep schenn, Accari and if possible ROR bye everyone else

As for prices

1.5m for Accari
1.1 mill Schenn
4.75mill ROR

All 2 year deals
Saskleaf liked this.
May 25, 2023 at 2:34 p.m.
Which witch is which
In retrospect, it appears that the Maple Leafs failure to advance in the 2nd round has more to do with running into a hot goalie who is doing something rarely seen in the NHL (see Bernie Parent 1974-75... Patrick Roy 1986 and J.S. Giguere 2003). As much as I think there still needs to be a change (trading Marner), this team still did what was expected (in my opinion). They outplayed Florida for the majority of game 1 but made costly mistakes and couldn't score... completely dominated them in game 2 and couldn't score... **** the bed in game three and deserved to lose... played a near perfect game 4 and won... then lost in overtime in game 5 because they couldn't score aginst a goalie who shut down Boston and gave them a chance to win... shut down Toronto's offence and gave them a chance to win... shut down Carolina completely and gave his team a chance to win... and they will do the same in the final unless Vegas somehow solves this problem.
At the end of this Stanley Cup play-offs Sergei Bobrovsky will win the Conn Smythe for MVP (win or lose).
So where does the blame lay?
Was Toronto's big four not good enough... or where they just stopped by one of the greatest goaltending performances in NHL history?
Having gone back and re-watched these games I think it's the latter. Put any other goaltender in the net for Florida in that series and Toronto wins.
Florida did what was required to win after their goaltender shut-down Toronto's offense. It still falls on Toronto, but it's not the doom & gloom everyone thinks.
Yet I still trade Marner (add Nic Robinson to sweeten the deal).... and free up much need cap space.
A few trads I think are worth looking into...
To WInnipeg for Connor Hellybuck and a depth forward - or...
Anahiem for Mason Mactavish and 2023 1st rd pick (2nd overall) - or...
L.A. for Adrian Kempe, Trevor Moore & Matt Roy.
May 25, 2023 at 4:22 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Iggwilv
In retrospect, it appears that the Maple Leafs failure to advance in the 2nd round has more to do with running into a hot goalie who is doing something rarely seen in the NHL (see Bernie Parent 1974-75... Patrick Roy 1986 and J.S. Giguere 2003). As much as I think there still needs to be a change (trading Marner), this team still did what was expected (in my opinion). They outplayed Florida for the majority of game 1 but made costly mistakes and couldn't score... completely dominated them in game 2 and couldn't score... **** the bed in game three and deserved to lose... played a near perfect game 4 and won... then lost in overtime in game 5 because they couldn't score aginst a goalie who shut down Boston and gave them a chance to win... shut down Toronto's offence and gave them a chance to win... shut down Carolina completely and gave his team a chance to win... and they will do the same in the final unless Vegas somehow solves this problem.
At the end of this Stanley Cup play-offs Sergei Bobrovsky will win the Conn Smythe for MVP (win or lose).
So where does the blame lay?
Was Toronto's big four not good enough... or where they just stopped by one of the greatest goaltending performances in NHL history?
Having gone back and re-watched these games I think it's the latter. Put any other goaltender in the net for Florida in that series and Toronto wins.
Florida did what was required to win after their goaltender shut-down Toronto's offense. It still falls on Toronto, but it's not the doom & gloom everyone thinks.
Yet I still trade Marner (add Nic Robinson to sweeten the deal).... and free up much need cap space.
A few trads I think are worth looking into...
To WInnipeg for Connor Hellybuck and a depth forward - or...
Anahiem for Mason Mactavish and 2023 1st rd pick (2nd overall) - or...
L.A. for Adrian Kempe, Trevor Moore & Matt Roy.

None of those teams gonna want Marner nor will offer anything close
May 25, 2023 at 4:58 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/report-nhlpa-examining-relationship-between-ex-leafs-gm-kyle-dubas-and-agent-for-possible-violation-192005999.html

The plot potentially thickens lul
May 25, 2023 at 5:38 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/report-nhlpa-examining-relationship-between-ex-leafs-gm-kyle-dubas-and-agent-for-possible-violation-192005999.html

The plot potentially thickens lul

I’m also hearing both use RBC to do their banking

giphy.webp?cid=6c09b952c844139d26ecf87e20fe89519b861ed3f5974455&ep=v1_internal_gifs_gifId&rid=giphy.webp&ct=g
May 25, 2023 at 5:40 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited May 25, 2023 at 5:49 p.m.
Quoting: MatthewsFan
I’m also hearing both use RBC to do their banking

giphy.webp?cid=6c09b952c844139d26ecf87e20fe89519b861ed3f5974455&ep=v1_internal_gifs_gifId&rid=giphy.webp&ct=g

Rules are there for a reason.

As per NHLPA regulations, certified agents aren’t allowed to render services for any NHL team employee. Armstrong works for Wasserman, one of the largest sports marketing and talent management companies in North America and is listed as the executive vice president, talent and innovation of its golf vertical. So basically RIP Armstrong

But yea the overplayed his hand card growing lul as now he using unqualified agents dam, the family card was already bad enough

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll