Forums/Armchair-GM

my ideal offseason

Created by: Matt1567
Team: 2023-24 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: May 18, 2023
Published: May 18, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I say this is my ideal offseason while trying to keep it semi-realistic, it's impossible to make one of these and make everyone happy, but regardless of what happens irl there'll be people unhappy.

Starting with the draft, I have 0 clue what we'll do, but I'm assuming the top 4 picks are Bedard, Fantilli, Carlsson and Michkov in no particular order. Assuming those 4 are gone, I think the habs take Will Smith, although if one of the previously mentioned 4 are available they should be the guy taken. I do like Zach Benson but it's easier to move a center to the wing than vice-versa, and I think Will Smith is slightly better. In the long-run a center duo of Suzuki-Smith could be elite and with guys like dach, kidney, roy, beck, etc. we could be looking at one of the best center cores in the league.

I based dubois' contract off players with similar points per game production (his being 0.863), the closest to him being Martin Necas who's currently on a bridge deal :/ . Matt Barzal (9.15m x 7) was slightly better (0.879), and a few guys just below him were Andrei Svechnikkov (7.75m x 7, 0.859), Dylan Cozens (7.1m x 7, 0.840), and Mark Scheifele (6.125m x 2, 0.840), judging by those I think he lands in the 7-7.5 range on a long-term deal, which is why I chose 7.5m x 7.

As for caufield, it's been expected all along that he'll get a deal similar to Nick Suzuki (7.875m x 8), likely a bit more, I'm guessing 8-8.5 for 7-8 years, which is more than Dubois for slightly less production (0.783 points-per game), but Caufield brings elite goalscoring and has the potential to be one of the best goalscorers in the league unlike Dubois, which is why I think he'll get a bit more money

I think giving Sean Monahan another deal is worth it, rather than rushing the younger players. Assuming he's healthy, he could be flipped at the deadline for a pick/prospect and if not there's no harm in a one-year contract to a veteran who's been great in the past and hopefully can get somewhat back to that.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,000,000
1$800,000
3$1,250,000
1$800,000
1$800,000
8$8,000,000
7$7,500,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$800,000
1$800,000
1$800,000
1$2,000,000
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Smith, Will
3$925,000
Trades
MTL
  1. Dubois, Pierre-Luc [RFA Rights]
Additional Details:
Is Dubois worth more? 100%. With him basically confirming he won't stay with the jets long-term and also wanting to play in Montreal at some point, the jets don't have much leverage in the deal and probably don't get much more than this if he's moved
WPG
  1. Dvorak, Christian
  2. 2024 2nd round pick (COL)
MTL
    Future Considerations (Any team with cap)

Whoever it is that takes hoffman gets a guy who has been a good goalscorer although those days seem to be behind him, but who knows how he'd do with a new team. Worst case they get a 5th for taking half his salary for the year, best case he helps the team win or get flipped with more retained salary to another team
    ARI
    1. Hoffman, Mike ($2,250,000 retained)
    2. 2023 5th round pick (CGY)
    MTL
      Waivers? Would someone claim him? Either he's gone for nothing or in Laval next year
      MTL
      1. Durzi, Sean
      2. 2023 3rd round pick (PIT)
      Additional Details:
      With rumours of Gavrikov signing a new deal in LA, aswell as Brandt Clarke impressing this season and likely making the NHL next season, the kings may not be able to keep Durzi around past the end of his current contract which is up after this coming season. Although he is an RFA, I doubt he'll get what he's looking for from LA with guys like Doughty and Gavrikov taking up a good amount of money and Clarke being due soon. There have been rumours of Montreal being interested, and for the right price of course I think they should acquire him.

I don't know if this isn't enough for Durzi, but personally I don't think it's too bad. Another idea I had was trading Edmundson 50% retained for Durzi but I think the kings have enough dmen that they could lose Durzi and not need someone back to replace him, and give a young guy his minutes.
      LAK
      1. Norlinder, Mattias
      2. 2023 2nd round pick (MTL)
      3. 2023 4th round pick (PIT)
      Buyouts
      Retained Salary Transactions
      DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
      Logo of the MTL
      Logo of the FLA
      Logo of the MTL
      Logo of the PIT
      Logo of the MTL
      Logo of the VGK
      Logo of the MTL
      Logo of the MTL
      Logo of the MTL
      Logo of the MTL
      Logo of the MTL
      Logo of the MTL
      Logo of the MTL
      Logo of the SJS
      Logo of the MTL
      Logo of the MTL
      Logo of the EDM
      Logo of the MTL
      Logo of the CGY
      Logo of the MTL
      Logo of the MTL
      Logo of the MTL
      Logo of the MTL
      Logo of the MTL
      Logo of the MTL
      ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
      24$82,500,000$72,919,999$1,170,000$3,920,000$9,580,001
      Left WingCentreRight Wing
      $7,500,000$7,500,000
      C
      UFA - 8
      Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
      $7,875,000$7,875,000
      C
      UFA - 7
      $8,000,000$8,000,000
      LW, RW
      UFA - 8
      $950,000$950,000 (Performance Bonus$3,500,000$4M)
      RW, LW
      RFA - 2
      $3,362,500$3,362,500
      C, RW
      RFA - 3
      $5,500,000$5,500,000
      RW, LW
      M-NTC
      UFA - 4
      $1,250,000$1,250,000
      LW, RW
      RFA - 2
      $2,000,000$2,000,000
      C, LW, RW
      UFA - 1
      $6,500,000$6,500,000
      RW, LW
      M-NTC, NMC
      UFA - 4
      $1,000,000$1,000,000
      RW, LW
      RFA - 1
      $1,700,000$1,700,000
      C
      UFA - 2
      $3,400,000$3,400,000
      RW, LW
      UFA - 2
      Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
      $4,875,000$4,875,000
      LD
      M-NTC
      UFA - 3
      Logo of the Los Angeles Kings
      $1,700,000$1,700,000
      LD/RD
      RFA - 1
      $1,000,000$1,000,000
      G
      UFA - 1
      $863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$420,000$420K)
      LD/RD
      RFA - 2
      $3,500,000$3,500,000
      RD
      UFA - 2
      $1,925,000$1,925,000
      G
      M-NTC
      UFA - 2
      $875,000$875,000
      LD/RD
      M-NTC
      UFA - 1
      $1,400,000$1,400,000
      LD/RD
      RFA - 2
      ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
      $1,100,000$1,100,000
      LW, RW
      UFA - 1
      $10,500,000$10,500,000
      G
      NMC
      UFA - 3
      $800,000$800,000
      LW, RW
      UFA - 2
      $828,333$828,333
      LD/RD
      RFA - 1
      $762,500$762,500
      RD
      UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
      • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
      May 18, 2023 at 9:37 p.m.
      Nice troll with the Dubois trade! We'll trade him elsewhere for the return 😂
      May 18, 2023 at 9:42 p.m.
      New GM
      As a Kings fan I would be willing to make trade
      Matt1567 liked this.
      May 18, 2023 at 9:43 p.m.
      Matt1567
      Quoting: Howie
      Nice troll with the Dubois trade! We'll trade him elsewhere for the return 😂

Like I said, he's worth more but nobody's giving full value for a guy that seems set on joining Montreal when he becomes a UFA if not any sooner. The jets definetly could get more, but I don't think Montreal give up much more unless he does have interest in signing elsewhere.
      May 18, 2023 at 9:45 p.m.
      Quoting: Matt1567
      Like I said, he's worth more but nobody's giving full value for a guy that seems set on joining Montreal when he becomes a UFA if not any sooner. The jets definetly could get more, but I don't think Montreal give up much more unless he does have interest in signing elsewhere.

Doesn't change the fact as a rental (could be a full season rental more games) gets a 1st b prospect and some other asset. Just because mtl wants to be cheap doesn't change that value. Nyr and la are linked to Dubois so it ain't mtl or nothing.
      May 18, 2023 at 9:51 p.m.
      Matt1567
      Doesn't change the fact as a rental (could be a full season rental more games) gets a 1st b prospect and some other asset. Just because mtl wants to be cheap doesn't change that value. Nyr and la are linked to Dubois so it ain't mtl or nothing.

If Dubois only wants to sign in Montreal, it kinda is Montreal or nothing. Other teams aren't giving up full value for a rental, because if he won't consdier resigning then why would they give up assets for just one year, hoping he's good but knowing that he's gone regardless or what happens. Sure I lowballed the jets in that trade but a 2nd/3rd line center who's struggled in Montreal but was pretty good for Arizona, and a 2nd rounder for a guy that wants out isn't the worst thing ever.
      May 18, 2023 at 10:00 p.m.
      If Dubois only wants to sign in Montreal, it kinda is Montreal or nothing. Other teams aren't giving up full value for a rental, because if he won't consdier resigning then why would they give up assets for just one year, hoping he's good but knowing that he's gone regardless or what happens. Sure I lowballed the jets in that trade but a 2nd/3rd line center who's struggled in Montreal but was pretty good for Arizona, and a 2nd rounder for a guy that wants out isn't the worst thing ever.

He has never stated he'll only sign in mtl. That's something the media took and ran with. Do you understand what a rental is? Why did Toronto give up a 1st 2nd and prospect for ror and achari? To make their team better and win the cup. To say a team would pay less because he may not stay makes no sense as that's the case for most rentals to begin with. It actually is one of the worst deals I've seen as the Colorado pick is likely late 50s not even this year and Dvorak is not a 2c and has a major injury this season. Idc what Dvorak did in Arizona because that's not the player he is now, like do you want wheeler previous 90 plus point scorer a few years back? No? Yeah because players change in value all the time so no Dvorak has little to no value. Try more like adding Florida's 1st and kidney to this deal and it's about right. If not don't pay and run that risk that where more teams will inquire on him and put in a pitch to keep him. This offer is a severe underpayment!
      bunzy1034 liked this.
      May 18, 2023 at 10:02 p.m.
      That's not anywhere close to being semi realistic for PLD. Semi realistic would be taking PLD out of the deal completely.

That's about halt of what PLD gets as a rental at the TDL.
      May 18, 2023 at 10:17 p.m.
      Matt1567
      He has never stated he'll only sign in mtl. That's something the media took and ran with. Do you understand what a rental is? Why did Toronto give up a 1st 2nd and prospect for ror and achari? To make their team better and win the cup. To say a team would pay less because he may not stay makes no sense as that's the case for most rentals to begin with. It actually is one of the worst deals I've seen as the Colorado pick is likely late 50s not even this year and Dvorak is not a 2c and has a major injury this season. Idc what Dvorak did in Arizona because that's not the player he is now, like do you want wheeler previous 90 plus point scorer a few years back? No? Yeah because players change in value all the time so no Dvorak has little to no value. Try more like adding Florida's 1st and kidney to this deal and it's about right. If not don't pay and run that risk that where more teams will inquire on him and put in a pitch to keep him. This offer is a severe underpayment!

Like I said, it's not that I think Dubois is worth that little, but IF he wants to sign in Montreal when he becomes a UFA, I wouldn't move more than that as Montreal shouldn't be looking to move good picks/prospects for someone we COULD get for free. I totally get the jets probably wouldn't do this unless he blatantly told them he's leaving and it's the only/best offer available. If he's willing to sign elsewhere and then there's a bidding war for him, we'd offer more or pull out of the race entirely. We don't need Dubois next year, and might honestly be better off without him as he'd likely worsen our draft pick, plus if we can keep our assets and sign him for free then we should at least consider that option.
      May 18, 2023 at 10:19 p.m.
      Like I said, it's not that I think Dubois is worth that little, but IF he wants to sign in Montreal when he becomes a UFA, I wouldn't move more than that as Montreal shouldn't be looking to move good picks/prospects for someone we COULD get for free. I totally get the jets probably wouldn't do this unless he blatantly told them he's leaving and it's the only/best offer available. If he's willing to sign elsewhere and then there's a bidding war for him, we'd offer more or pull out of the race entirely. We don't need Dubois next year, and might honestly be better off without him as he'd likely worsen our draft pick, plus if we can keep our assets and sign him for free then we should at least consider that option.

Okay so why make this trash trade if it's guaranteed to be beaten or even more likely never happen because he price would never be this low
      May 18, 2023 at 10:20 p.m.
      Matt1567
      Quoting: Windjammer
      That's not anywhere close to being semi realistic for PLD. Semi realistic would be taking PLD out of the deal completely.

That's about halt of what PLD gets as a rental at the TDL.

Yeah, I definetly lowballed that deal, but Montreal aren't going to be contenders next year and that's why I'm not offering a ton. It's very much a possibilty that Dubois plays next year wherever and then as a UFA signs with Montreal, in which case he comes in when we'd likely be closer to making a playoff push, while we don't expend any assets to get him a year earlier.
      May 18, 2023 at 10:36 p.m.
      Matt1567
      Okay so why make this trash trade if it's guaranteed to be beaten or even more likely never happen because he price would never be this low

I know it's not the same but look at Adam Fox. Drafted by Calgary, he refused to sign and was then traded to Carolina in the Lindholm/Hamilton deal. Carolina tried signing him and again, he refused, stating he wanted to go to New York, so they traded him to New York for what ended up being 2 2nds. All because they didn't want to lose him for nothing because he wanted to be in New York. IF Dubois is serious about wanting to be in Montreal and won't sign anywhere else then why would any team give up more than my offer. Sure he's a good player and could help a team compete, but trading serious assets for a guy who you know won't stay, and honestly seems to have attitude issues based off him forcing himself out of Columbus and now Winnipeg. I know teams do it every year, and if the jets don't keep him as a rental of their own, they should be able to get more, but Montreal won't be interested in him as a rental, and likely don't want to give up too much when it seems like he'll be in Montreal regardless.

The reason I made the offer is because if the jets want this saga to be over, I'd be willing to see Montreal part with Dvorak and a 2nd, probably another prospect too, to bring Dubois home and let him be happy. I've realized I'm underselling Dubois / overvaluing Dvorak, but there will likely be better offers for Dubois that the jets will recieve. This post is called "my ideal offseason" and ideally I'd like to see a deal along the lines of that happen, but it probably is bigger than what I suggested
      May 18, 2023 at 10:42 p.m.
      I know it's not the same but look at Adam Fox. Drafted by Calgary, he refused to sign and was then traded to Carolina in the Lindholm/Hamilton deal. Carolina tried signing him and again, he refused, stating he wanted to go to New York, so they traded him to New York for what ended up being 2 2nds. All because they didn't want to lose him for nothing because he wanted to be in New York. IF Dubois is serious about wanting to be in Montreal and won't sign anywhere else then why would any team give up more than my offer. Sure he's a good player and could help a team compete, but trading serious assets for a guy who you know won't stay, and honestly seems to have attitude issues based off him forcing himself out of Columbus and now Winnipeg. I know teams do it every year, and if the jets don't keep him as a rental of their own, they should be able to get more, but Montreal won't be interested in him as a rental, and likely don't want to give up too much when it seems like he'll be in Montreal regardless.

The reason I made the offer is because if the jets want this saga to be over, I'd be willing to see Montreal part with Dvorak and a 2nd, probably another prospect too, to bring Dubois home and let him be happy. I've realized I'm underselling Dubois / overvaluing Dvorak, but there will likely be better offers for Dubois that the jets will recieve. This post is called "my ideal offseason" and ideally I'd like to see a deal along the lines of that happen, but it probably is bigger than what I suggested

Okay so what you're saying is mtl won't pay the most for Dubois and the jets should explore trading him elsewhere as a rental for a better deal than this gotcha
      Matt1567 liked this.
      May 18, 2023 at 10:49 p.m.
      Matt1567
      Okay so what you're saying is mtl won't pay the most for Dubois and the jets should explore trading him elsewhere as a rental for a better deal than this gotcha

pretty much, unless they think this is the best offer they get, which is unlikely
      May 18, 2023 at 11:29 p.m.
      Once a Kings Fan Too
      Take the third and Norlinder out of the Durzi trade and I would do that as the Los Angeles GM.
      May 18, 2023 at 11:33 p.m.
      Yeah, I definetly lowballed that deal, but Montreal aren't going to be contenders next year and that's why I'm not offering a ton. It's very much a possibilty that Dubois plays next year wherever and then as a UFA signs with Montreal, in which case he comes in when we'd likely be closer to making a playoff push, while we don't expend any assets to get him a year earlier.

Yeah, I can't blame you for that. Montreal doesn't have a lot of interesting prospects anyways, so I'd prefer the Jets trade him elsewhere.

To create a post please Login or Register
      Question:
      Options:
      Add Option
      Submit Poll